Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another rail line not previously discussed...

Cities weighing rail service on BNSF line

Proposed route runs from TRE in Irving to Highway 380 in Frisco

01:03 PM CST on Saturday, March 8, 2008

By STEPHANIE SANDOVAL / The Dallas Morning News

ssandoval@dallasnews.com

City managers from Irving to Frisco know begging won't advance DART's plan to someday start rail service between their cities.

Not when soaring construction costs are complicating efforts to keep even the agency's higher-priority projects on schedule.

So the managers of Irving, Farmers Branch, Carrollton and Frisco are taking a different approach. They want to study the feasibility of rail service along the 25-mile Burlington Northern Santa Fe line – and look for a way to pay for it.

The managers expect to ask their city councils this month to authorize them to form a DFW Rail Coalition, possibly with a paid staff.

Each city in the coalition would contribute money based on its population. Businesses, chambers of commerce and other entities would be invited to participate.

Providing rail service along the BNSF right of way is already included in DART's 2030 long-range plan, DART spokesman Morgan Lyons said. But so far the idea, like other parts of the plan that have not been funded, is merely part of the agency's "vision."

Mr. Lyons said DART would support the cities' efforts to speed the line's development by finding a way to pay for it. If the cities develop a plan, they could seek to contract with DART to build or operate the service, or find another way to build it.

0309bnsfmap.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

The D2 page has been updated with a lot of information regarding the final alignment options. Click on the link to find details about each alignment and send your own comments to DART.

http://www.dart.org/about/expansion/downtowndallasmaps.asp

Here's an updated map of all the final alignment options together. The good news: BOTH of the most southern alignments now have a station at City Hall:

Common Characteristics to Remaining Alternatives

Each of the light rail alternatives:

1. Follow the same route from Victory Station to the West End and follow DART-owned right-of-way through Victory Park

2. Turn south on the east side of Houston Street to a station adjacent to the future Museum of Nature and Science

3. Pass under Woodall Rodgers Freeway, crossing the frontage roads at-grade and descending into a tunnel to become fully underground at Lamar Street

4. Continue south under Lamar Street and the existing transit mall

5. Use a new underground station that facilitates West End Station, West Bus Center, and future Rosa Parks Bus Plaza transfers

6. Converge at a common point south of the Deep Ellum Station on the Southeast Corridor (Green Line).

d2alignmapfeb2009large.gif

B7 Lamar-Commerce

This alternative continues underground from the new station and travels under Commerce Street. Two additional underground stations are located near Akard and Harwood. Each station includes an elevator and stairs for street access and connection to the underground pedestrian tunnel system. The line resurfaces immediately west of IH 45.

Benefits: a) Good service to the densely developed area of downtown

B) Direct access to future destinations (University of North Texas Law School and Main Street Garden Park)

d2b7mapfeb2009large.gif

B4 Lamar-Young

After leaving the new station, this alternative continues southeast under Griffin Street, then resurfaces to street grade at Young Street. It continues above ground for the remainder of the route. Station locations include a station in the median of Young Street between Field and Akard streets, in the median of a reconstructed Young Street between St. Paul and Harwood Streets, and a final surface station located east of Central Avenue.

Benefits: The most cost effective alternative because half of the alignment is above ground

Serves the government center and library area

Serves new developing areas east of City Hall (e.g., Harwood Historic District, Farmers Market, Pershing Square)

d2b4mapfeb2009large.gif

B4a Lamar-Marilla

This option is similar to B4 Lamar-Young up until it reaches Young St. The difference being that it stays underground. The alignment then crosses under Young St., and runs under Marilla St to a new station below City Hall. East of City Hall, the alignment rises to street level on Marilla near Canton Street between Park and Harwood. The alternative continues at street level to a station at the Scottish Rite Temple parking lot, crosses the Pearl/Young intersection, and continues east in abandoned Young to the Southeast Corridor.

Benefits: Serves the government center and library area

Offers improved access to the Farmers Market area

d2b4amapfeb2009large.gif

B4b Lamar-Convention Center Hotel

This option is similar to B4a described above, but offers an additional underground station at the proposed Convention Center Hotel and a longer tunnel section. From the new station, it continues south under Lamar to an underground station near Young Street, adjacent to the proposed Convention Center hotel. The alignment turns east passing under the Pioneer Park and cemetery to the 3rd level beneath City Hall. From here the alignment and stations at City Hall and Scottish Rite Temple are the same as option B4a.

Benefits: Provides a station at the proposed Convention Center Hotel

d2b4bmapfeb2009large.gif

And here's the updated Green Line video:

www.dart.org/factsheet/greenline/greenlinejan2009.html

http://www.dart.org/about/expansion/greenline.asp

Will DART have any other "cool" stations in its new additions like CityPlace Station and Mockingbird Station? In other words, more urban stations? I see that the downtown area my get a lot of subway tunnels. That would work nicely as a grand central station for Dallas.

Will DART have any other "cool" stations in its new additions like CityPlace Station and Mockingbird Station? In other words, more urban stations? I see that the downtown area my get a lot of subway tunnels. That would work nicely as a grand central station for Dallas.

Huh? Downtown Dallas might get one subway tunnel. I have no idea how, even in your mind, one tunnel (or even the imagined "a lot" of subway tunnels) becomes anything remotely similar to grand central station.

Huh? Downtown Dallas might get one subway tunnel. I have no idea how, even in your mind, one tunnel (or even the imagined "a lot" of subway tunnels) becomes anything remotely similar to grand central station.

My bad. Even with just one tunnel, it could be DART's Lead in line. It could be a place where a grand station could be placed, like the one Houston is planning at the Hardy Rail Yard.

My bad. Even with just one tunnel, it could be DART's Lead in line. It could be a place where a grand station could be placed, like the one Houston is planning at the Hardy Rail Yard.

Union Station downtown will continue to be the main intermodal rail station. Right now it serves DART Red and Blue Lines, the TRE to Fort Worth and Amtrak service. In the future it will be the terminus of other commuter rail lines to the suburbs and could be a major stop for streetcar lines through downtown and to Oak Cliff.

When the new downtown DART tunnel is constructed, the West End Station (currently the busiest for DART) will be the major interchange between DART lines. The West End Station is also adjacent to the West End bus transfer center. DART has started construction on Rosa Parks Plaza, converting an adjacent surface parking lot into a transit plaza which will contain a future subway entrance to the new line. The subway station here will serve the heart of the business district and will most likely connect to the underground tunnel system.

Downtown Carrollton Station will be a major transfer center with connections to DART and commuter rail radiating in several directions. The DFW Airport Station will also be an important transfer center between different modes of rail serving Dallas, Fort Worth and the north Dallas suburbs.

The new D2 line will contain 2 (or possibly 3) subway stations downtown. These will run right under the streets and will not need the deep entrances like at Cityplace. Hopefully DART is creative in their design and makes the stations works of art for downtown commuters.

I thought I's ask this before I shut down for tonight:

What ever happened to the Las Colinas Sky Rail? Is it still in operation?

The Las Colinas APT is still in service, although it only operates during the lunch hours for office workers. When DART's Orange Line arrives in Las Colinas in a few years, the Lake Carolyn Station will feature a direct connection to the APT. In preparation for this, the APT line will be extended to serve the new Irving Convention Center under construction and other stations will be built as needed. The South Las Colinas DART station (connecting to the future BNSF commuter rail) is deferred until development occurs in the area, but the APT will probably be extended to serve this station when it is buit.

Here's a map I posted on the DFW Forum. There is more information in the thread here.

APT connections to DART (the purple line) in the urban center (blue - existing, red - planned for 2011, purple- future)

nwirvingpublicmeeting20oc9.jpg

Compare this new plan to the original development map (pre-DART) below:

l-colina.gif

And here's the January 2009 Green Line. The Next Phase of DART Rail video that I forgot to post earlier.

Thanks for all of the above info and video. Dallas has a lot going on with DART. Nice to see Carrollton having urban designed transit stations instead of just a plan old stop. And good to see that they are encouraging urban development around it.

Do you have anymore of those videos from DART besides the light rail 10yr anniversary video?

• 2 weeks later...
...Nice to see Carrollton having urban designed transit stations instead of just a plan old stop...

Are you talking about the TOD or the station it self? DART stations (with the exception of the local station art) are pretty much the same more or less.

DART earns international recognition

April 1, 2009

DART.com News Release

Full Article

Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) is being recognized as the best transit agency in North, South and Central America at the annual MetroRail conference. The "Best Metro Americas" award was presented March 31.

DART was selected over transit properties in New York City, Chicago and Washington, D.C.

Integration with other transit modes, customer service, value for money, safety and high performance standards were a few of the categories in which DART was judged. Event organizers said the awards were created, "to identify and reward those companies who have demonstrated an unparalleled ability to succeed and continually set standards of excellence."

DART earns international recognition

April 1, 2009

DART.com News Release

Full Article

Wow, congratulations to DART!!!! Great news for North Texas! :D

My last opportunity to use DART was in December. I definitely agree with the accolade. DART is a great value for the money, and come 2010 (with the full opening of the Green Line) will definitely be the model system for the southern United States.

BTW, in regards to the final alignment, I'm really liking the B4 Lamar-Young option. It looks like a good compromise between having coverage for the proposed convention center site, and still works alot within the existing downtown area. I would of course love to see a more "extended" subway section like the other ones, but with skyrocketing costs for such things, this seems like the most viable alternative.

Are you talking about the TOD or the station it self? DART stations (with the exception of the local station art) are pretty much the same more or less.

I was talking about the planned stations they showed in the video. They where above ground and where more detailed then the regular ground level plan stations you normally see.

I was talking about the planned stations they showed in the video. They where above ground and where more detailed then the regular ground level plan stations you normally see.

With the exception of the staircases and elevators, there really isn't too much different. DART has put the same amount into each station (even though it may not seem like it ex: Deep Ellum Station...) regardless if its elevated or not.

With the exception of the staircases and elevators, there really isn't too much different. DART has put the same amount into each station (even though it may not seem like it ex: Deep Ellum Station...) regardless if its elevated or not.

Come on man who are you kidding? Yourself? What station can compare to the money put into Mockingbird Station or Cityplace? None! Many of the other stations are the same old plain ones you see in Houston.

Come on man who are you kidding? Yourself? What station can compare to the money put into Mockingbird Station or Cityplace? None! Many of the other stations are the same old plain ones you see in Houston.

The only reason Cityplace is a subway station is the tunnel running underneath NCX. Same with the Mockingbird Station, if not for the tunnel, they'd both be just another station. The only way we'll see another "memorable" DART station like Mockingbird, is a change in terrain.

Well when DART wants to show off its best, they always show Mockingbird Station. So with that said, if they want to have more of the success of Mockingbird Station, why not build more stations like it?

Well when DART wants to show off its best, they always show Mockingbird Station. So with that said, if they want to have more of the success of Mockingbird Station, why not build more stations like it?

Anyway you can link or post some pictures of what you think would be better?

dollar-bill.jpg

Uh...money.

BTW, in regards to the final alignment, I'm really liking the B4 Lamar-Young option. It looks like a good compromise between having coverage for the proposed convention center site, and still works alot within the existing downtown area. I would of course love to see a more "extended" subway section like the other ones, but with skyrocketing costs for such things, this seems like the most viable alternative.

I along with many downtown residents prefer the B4a Lamar-Marilla alignment over the B4 Lamar-Young alignment. I think it needs to stay below grade as long as possible to avoid cutting off North-South traffic through downtown. It would interact with traffic (and access to the City Hall garages) by putting it down the middle of Young Street. When City Hall was built in the 1970s they included a future rail tunnel under the parking garage which has never been used. The B4a alignment takes advantage of that existing tunnel and provides good service to this area of downtown. The last alignment is a waste of money; if the city really wants a station at the Convention Center Hotel (which would do nothing to serve downtown residents or workers) they could provide an enclosed walkway from the existing Convention Center Station at a fraction of the price. The first option under Commerce is also very expensive and does not serve new areas of downtown.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived