Freeway billboards

In big cities such as Houston, there are many billboard along the freeways which advertise all kinds of things. Every now and then you'll see one that advertised liqour such as "Old Charter". I wonder if those billboards on the freeway really work. I mean, I wonder how many people driving along a freeway who see a sign such as that and it actually makes him/her drive to the nearest liquor store and buy a bottle of booze?

Then again, maybe the liquor signs were strategically placed on the freeways for a reason. In the heavy Houston bumper-to-bumber rat race traffic, maybe a person would be stressed out enough and find a billboard with a picture of a bottle of booze to be appealing and actually go and buy some.

In big cities such as Houston, there are many billboard along the freeways which advertise all kinds of things. Every now and then you'll see one that advertised liqour such as "Old Charter". I wonder if those billboards on the freeway really work. I mean, I wonder how many people driving along a freeway who see a sign such as that and it actually makes him/her drive to the nearest liquor store and buy a bottle of booze?

Then again, maybe the liquor signs were strategically placed on the freeways for a reason. In the heavy Houston bumper-to-bumber rat race traffic, maybe a person would be stressed out enough and find a billboard with a picture of a bottle of booze to be appealing and actually go and buy some.

advertising is all about repetition and branding.

billboards are just another layer to add to the

television commercials, magazine ads and movie

product placement... it doesn't have to make sense.

advertising is all about repetition and branding.

billboards are just another layer to add to the

television commercials, magazine ads and movie

product placement... it doesn't have to make sense.

Right -- Outdoor is a branding medium, not a direct response one. So, the answer to the question, "how many people see a board and drive to a liquor store?" is "very few". They do see the brand and perhaps get a feel for the lifestyle, however, which is reinforced in other media that do, perhaps, have a greater capacity to push or pull sales.

Not five minutes ago I was standing at a junk machine trying to decide. I ended up with a Snickers. Then I remembered that Snickers is in the middle of a big advertising push. Coincidence? Probably not.

Right -- Outdoor is a branding medium, not a direct response one. So, the answer to the question, "how many people see a board and drive to a liquor store?" is "very few". They do see the brand and perhaps get a feel for the lifestyle, however, which is reinforced in other media that do, perhaps, have a greater capacity to push or pull sales.

Subdude is so good at coming up so fast with photos of almost everything in Houston, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he were to post some photos of those freeway billboards which advertise whiskey/scotch/gin, etc.

If he does that, will it make any of you on this forum want to drive to the nearest liquor store?

Subdude is so good at coming up so fast with photos of almost everything in Houston, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he were to post some photos of those freeway billboards which advertise whiskey/scotch/gin, etc.

If he does that, will it make any of you on this forum want to drive to the nearest liquor store?

Sorry, I don't have billboard pictures so we won't find out! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I think that there's a difference between billboards in the cities and ones out on rural parts of the interstates. For example, when travelling on IH 10 between Houston & Winnie, you'll see more than one Stuckey's billboard. It appears that travellers pay more attention to those because Stuckey's wants people to stop and load up on junk food, so they keep reminding them every few miles as to the exact exit they'll need to get off at. You don't see more than one billboard for a certain business on the interstate in a big city.

Lady Bird Johnson led a campaign to get rid of billboards, saying that they made roadways look bad. My personal belief is, if their artwork is appealing and attractive, they enhance the side of the highways. Naturally, some of you will disagree with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ashikaga, did you add that last paragraph just to see if you could get a rise out of someone? I've heard the standard arguments from the "outdoor advertising" industry: private property, free speech, "we do some public service advertisement so we're good guys". But I've never heard anyone say that they are visually appealing.

Ashikaga, did you add that last paragraph just to see if you could get a rise out of someone? I've heard the standard arguments from the "outdoor advertising" industry: private property, free speech, "we do some public service advertisement so we're good guys". But I've never heard anyone say that they are visually appealing.

What do you mean "get a rise out of someone"? I was just saying that I see no problem with billboards. I think that they are needed. If you need gas, it's helpful to see a sign that tells you that fuel is available at an upcoming exit. To me, those signs on the interstate with the blue background which show the logos of businesses at an upcoming exit are visually pleasing. To me, all interstate signs are that way, even the regular ones with the green background and the white letters/numbers.

I'm so torn with billboards. I hate the low budget ones that sometimes are at the point of falling down and the ones smacked up against a building or on top.

However when the ad looks great and it's in a location that fits I don't mind. Especially when it's advertising local tourist attractions to visit as it helps to give you a feel to the character of the city.

For instance two winters ago my family's business in hopes of building a business relationship with a particular Chinese industrial manufacturing company hosted several vistors for 2 day business development meeting and I played chauffeur/tour guide and went and picked them up from IAH in our massive American Suburban SUV.

First they were impressed by the fact that the owners sons helped out with the business. Driving through the city to SugarLand from IAH they thought it was so cool to see the Yao Ming Rockets billboards on the freeways as he is like a national hero for them.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm so torn with billboards. I hate the low budget ones that sometimes are at the point of falling down and the ones smacked up against a building or on top.

However when the ad looks great and it's in a location that fits I don't mind. Especially when it's advertising local tourist attractions to visit as it helps to give you a feel to the character of the city.

For instance two winters ago my family's business in hopes of building a business relationship with a particular Chinese industrial manufacturing company hosted several vistors for 2 day business development meeting and I played chauffeur/tour guide and went and picked them up from IAH in our massive American Suburban SUV.

First they were impressed by the fact that the owners sons helped out with the business. Driving through the city to SugarLand from IAH they thought it was so cool to see the Yao Ming Rockets billboards on the freeways as he is like a national hero for them.

Since I started this topic about the sin of drinking, I was wondering about billboards for the other sin of smoking. I wonder if a person driving along a Houston freeway sees a billboard advertising a certain brand of cigarettes makes it a point to get off at the next exit and go to the nearest convenience store and buy a pack of that brand? Do any of you out there do that?

Since I started this topic about the sin of drinking, I was wondering about billboards for the other sin of smoking. I wonder if a person driving along a Houston freeway sees a billboard advertising a certain brand of cigarettes makes it a point to get off at the next exit and go to the nearest convenience store and buy a pack of that brand? Do any of you out there do that?

Billboards have the opposite effect on me. I don't like them so I try to make it a point to NOT patronize whoever advertises on one that catches my eye.

This no longer really applies. Cigarette companies have not been permitted to advertise on billboards since April 24, 1999 (link).

However, they've used their advertising budget to plaster convenience stores with posters, to the point of completely obliterating the windows. An unexpected result is that these stores are now at greater risk of holdups, as witnesses can no longer see what's going on inside.

Cigarette advertisng seems to be aimed exclusively at the new smoker. Most people I know who smoke settle on a favorite brand and remain loyal until they quit...or die. :closedeyes:

This no longer really applies. Cigarette companies have not been permitted to advertise on billboards since April 24, 1999 (link).

However, they've used their advertising budget to plaster convenience stores with posters, to the point of completely obliterating the windows. An unexpected result is that these stores are now at greater risk of holdups, as witnesses can no longer see what's going on inside.

Cigarette advertisng seems to be aimed exclusively at the new smoker. Most people I know who smoke settle on a favorite brand and remain loyal until they quit...or die. :closedeyes:

I see your point. So what about the billboards that advertise fast food or other kinds of restaurants? I wonder how many people who see one will actually take the exit that the sign says to and go to the restaurant? I would think not too many people would pay attention to them in a big city. But out on an open rural freeway, I think that people might do that. I remember as a kid every sign advertising a Stuckey's just every few miles. A lot of times we would stop and get gas and junk food. We probably wouldn't have if there hadn't been a bunch of signs reminding us when and where to exit.

• 1 month later...

I guess that some people see a billboard of a certain product and they "keep it in mind" for the next time they're in a store that sells it (in this case, liquor). Other products on billboards such as fast food are for immediate buyers to take the appropriate upcoming exit and break out their wallet/purse.

my fav. Billboards are the plastic (?) cows that look kinda real and there is a billboard on 59 saying, "Sometimes all we need is a little direction, exit on Fondren" or something like that. Its kinda clever. :)

My dad's worst ad is "Got ice?" at the Sharpstown Mall. For I guess a jewelry store in Sharpstown.

• 1 month later...
Sorry, I don't have billboard pictures so we won't find out! :lol:

I found a good old photo on TexasFreeway.Com. On the home page, click on "Houston." Then on the next page, look under "Historic Documents." Then click on "Historic Photos." Then click on "Just North Of IH-610 Interchange." It's a black and white photo taken back in October of 1958 which shows the northbound split of Texas Highway 35 and U.S. Highway 75. Look to the left, you'll see Joske's and Sakowitz in Gulfgate Shopping City. And if you'll look close enough to the extreme right, you'll see an Old Charter whiskey billboard. Booze must have been popular even back in the 1950s.

• 1 year later...
On what conditions did they agree?

they got a 20 yr extension for some of the larger billboards but will take down 2/3 of their smaller ones. turns out that the ones on federal roadways are beyond the city's grasp so some of the smaller ones didn't have to come down at all but will under this agreement

Archived