houstonsemipro

Hardy Yards Development

From the image above, this looks like a development, out on whats left, of the Katy Prairie.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

@Triton should work now

Thanks. I think this is the first plat I've seen that actually has Fulton Street now going past Leona Street. City must have secured the ROW.

Hmmm... perhaps I am wrong.

10 hours ago, Triton said:

The lit up clock tower looks really amazing, especially with the city skyline in the background. I'll have to wait until my next camera comes in until I get good night shots again... Here's what I got for now:

48675135988_283934f342_h.jpg

Hardy Yards Downtown Houston at Night by Marc longoria, on Flickr

I'm loving the contrast and all the colors added to downtown's night skyline, and very visible, even from this distance.  Thanks for the cool photo !

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kinglyam said:

This is the empty lot next to the rail? It's ANOTHER wrap apartment. This isn't leaving a lot of room for mixed use, is it?

https://nrpconstruction.com/Home/ProjectDetail/8a561061-bd04-487f-a9dd-98e788273cda

That one looks like it will butt up against Residences at Hardy Yards (separated by the access road off Leona) and run all the way to Fulton.

I don't see any GFR and there is quite a lot of ground level parking... but there's still a lot of the site left for retail and/or office, and perhaps they're waiting for the beds to fill up before starting on those components?

• Like 4

On 9/4/2019 at 2:08 PM, phillip_white said:

That one looks like it will butt up against Residences at Hardy Yards (separated by the access road off Leona) and run all the way to Fulton.

I don't see any GFR and there is quite a lot of ground level parking... but there's still a lot of the site left for retail and/or office, and perhaps they're waiting for the beds to fill up before starting on those components?

Yeah, that's my thought. Between this and the apartments they're doing closer to the light rail station, I assume they're relying on the still-strong rental market to get the population density that would be a draw for retail tenents. They're down to only the two blocks between Leona and Burnett, though. That's about what, 14 acres?

There's still a lot of retail opportunity in non-Hardy Yards property along Burnett. The old warehouse complex across Leona on Hardy is now for sale, I notice. Assuming CitiQuest doesn't snap it up for more townhomes like they've done half that area, that is!

• Like 2

Some of those folks are going to have a great nighttime view of the skyline. Same for the apartments going up on the east side of 288. a little scotch, music, and great view.

• Like 3

And it's all in the process of being developed. Going to get very busy there over the next couple of years. I saw surveyors out apparently laying out the garden-style apartment complex that's going up nearest the rail line, and I saw they've put out the bids to start the foundation work on the wrap next to the Residences. Plus someone apparently just put in a replat to turn all of those blue-ish sheet-metal warehouses I mentioned a few posts ago into yet more townhomes.

• Like 3

Really hope we get the Fulton/San Jacinto connection sooner rather than later but chances are it won't happen until the I-45 project starts in this area.

• Like 3

Someone on /r/Houston posted about some construction has started at Hardy Yards this week.

I drive by this area every day, and I noticed last week they've chained off the area by the hardy yards apartments and they've broken ground. Does anyone know anything about what they're building there?

I'm guessing it's the Red Line apartments that were platted earlier this year? 

On 10/21/2019 at 4:02 PM, Triton said:

Really hope we get the Fulton/San Jacinto connection sooner rather than later but chances are it won't happen until the I-45 project starts in this area.

Is that actually going to happen? I just assume that anything that goes over or through a rail isn't going to happen unless there is big money involved, and that would be a city project unless it was rolled into NHHIP. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Someone on /r/Houston posted about some construction has started at Hardy Yards this week.

I'm guessing it's the Red Line apartments that were platted earlier this year? 

Is that actually going to happen? I just assume that anything that goes over or through a rail isn't going to happen unless there is big money involved, and that would be a city project unless it was rolled into NHHIP. 

Yep, Red Line, the wrap apartments that Urbannizer posted back in March. 

I'm with you on the Fulton Street connection. If they did it, it would probably have to be an at-grade crossing. It's not part of the I-45 project (which I hope somehow still gets killed), and I see no sign that the City is particularly interested in it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, wilcal said:

The latest plan I had seen from the city, because they needed to coordinate with TXDOT for the I-45 realignment, was to go below grade with the Fulton connection.

It looked like it has a somewhat steep grade going down and up, similar to Navigation Blvd rising up/coming down under Commerce St. In the last meeting I attended, the issue that they faced was that Fulton would also travel below the northside (west bound) feeder so they were trying to figure out how they could have at-grade ramps going to and coming from the northside feeder over to Fulton with the ROW that is there. 

Based on the last meeting, this connection is definitely presenting some challenges.

45project.PNG

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Triton said:

The latest plan I had seen from the city, because they needed to coordinate with TXDOT for the I-45 realignment, was to go below grade with the Fulton connection.

It looked like it has a somewhat steep grade going down and up, similar to Navigation Blvd rising up/coming down under Commerce St. In the last meeting I attended, the issue that they faced was that Fulton would also travel below the northside (west bound) feeder so they were trying to figure out how they could have at-grade ramps going to and coming from the northside feeder over to Fulton with the ROW that is there. 

Based on the last meeting, this connection is definitely presenting some challenges.

Yeah, ouch. 

Also, wow @ the highway expanding all of the way to the railroad tracks. That's like 3X wider than it is currently right there. Really gives some scale. 

31 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Yeah, ouch. 

Also, wow @ the highway expanding all of the way to the railroad tracks. That's like 3X wider than it is currently right there. Really gives some scale. 

While I'm sure it's widening (I don't remember the dimensions and am too lazy to look), I'm pretty sure it's not 3x wider. It's just being moved closer to the residential area because some traffic design software somewhere said eliminating the curve would reduce travel times by 0.5 seconds or something...

40 minutes ago, Kinglyam said:

While I'm sure it's widening (I don't remember the dimensions and am too lazy to look), I'm pretty sure it's not 3x wider. It's just being moved closer to the residential area because some traffic design software somewhere said eliminating the curve would reduce travel times by 0.5 seconds or something...

I am fully aware of how completely unscientific this is, but based on that rendering of it stretching all of the way to the railroad tracks...

Jsku8FR.png

• Like 1

Dang, you're going to make me do some actual research, aren't you? Here's a screencap from the project's interactive map showing that area. You can see it's nowhere near extending that whole width, nor does it go as close to the Residences as you're showing. The map's measuring tool says the existing freeway is about 250 ft wide, and the new one is about 450 at the widest. So not quite double, which makes sense for cramming two interstates together.

Capture.JPG

• Like 7

Ahhh, I didn't realize that it would be shifting over. Just assumed it would be stretching wider.

Thanks for the actual research.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kinglyam said:

Dang, you're going to make me do some actual research, aren't you? Here's a screencap from the project's interactive map showing that area. You can see it's nowhere near extending that whole width, nor does it go as close to the Residences as you're showing. The map's measuring tool says the existing freeway is about 250 ft wide, and the new one is about 450 at the widest. So not quite double, which makes sense for cramming two interstates together.

Capture.JPG

This realignment is terrible for the area and I hope this portion gets changed (but, I’m not holding out too much hope). I live just north of here and feel this is not only not justified and a giant waste of taxpayer money, it’s also a social justice issue. Give more land to freeways, suburban commuters, and the rich people downtown by taking away land closer to us brown and black folks. This is a shameful project, especially in 2019 and especially in a city that supposedly prides itself on equality and diversity. 

Edited by TOMIKA!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

What's wrong with this section in particular?  It looks to me to be going through parking lots and "Acre in a Box - Houston's first urban based hydroponic farm".  I understand it's pertty bad elsewhere - especially demolishing Clayton homes - but what is wrong with this segment?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, cspwal said:

What's wrong with this section in particular?  It looks to me to be going through parking lots and "Acre in a Box - Houston's first urban based hydroponic farm".  I understand it's pertty bad elsewhere - especially demolishing Clayton homes - but what is wrong with this segment?

Let me ask you. If you lived 2 blocks from a freeway and learned the freeway were going to be brought one block closer to your house, would you care? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Not only is it moving hundreds of feet farther north towards the residential areas, it's moving UP. It has to cross the light rail, which already has to cross the UPRR rail line. The cross-section shows I-10/I-45 is something like 120 feet in the air here. So, nothing to absorb or deflect sound away. Not to mention this area currently has a great downtown view that's going to be a selling point for the apartments they're building right now. But how much value are those apartments (and then, the rest of Hardy Yards) going to have when they are literally in the shadow of a major freeway?

• Like 3

Freeways are being torn down, removed, and buried in many cities that we aspire to be more like. Cities we compete with for jobs, corporate home and regional offices, and more. It's a quality of life and HEALTH issue. Expanding freeways is a last century solution. Texas needs to learn that expanding freeways does nothing for the people who live adjacent to them in the city. But I suspect the people that run the state don't really care about people who choose to live IN cities. Their constituents are the companies that get the contracts followed by the folks in the burbs.

Edited by KinkaidAlum
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Freeways are being torn down, removed, and buried in many cities that we aspire to be more like. Cities we compete with for jobs, corporate home and regional offices, and more. It's a quality of life and HEALTH issue. Expanding freeways is a last century solution. Texas needs to learn that expanding freeways does nothing for the people who live adjacent to them in the city. But I suspect the people that run the state don't really care about people who choose to live IN cities. Their constituents are the companies that get the contracts followed by the folks in the burbs.

Couldn’t agree more! Although, Dallas and Austin are fighting and seemingly beating TxDoT in similar battles. Houston has a weird way of being soooo backwards on this stuff. It’s like we are still living in 1972 sometimes..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TOMIKA! said:

This realignment is terrible for the area

Change "the area" for Houston and you're 100% correct. 

• Like 2

Houston will have its 'big dig' when TXDoT digs down the entire East side. It will be a terrible process, but it will be good for the area... in fact, it will be trans-formative. We are lucky they are going to sink the highway instead of have it above ground. Just think our downtown will not be surrounded by above ground freeway lanes. I can't wait.

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Avossos said:

Houston will have its 'big dig' when TXDoT digs down the entire East side. It will be a terrible process, but it will be good for the area... in fact, it will be trans-formative. We are lucky they are going to sink the highway instead of have it above ground. Just think our downtown will not be surrounded by above ground freeway lanes. I can't wait.

Um, did you miss my comment just a bit earlier about this new I-10/I-45 being way up in the air along the southern edge of Hardy Yards? I was wrong about the 120 feet. That's I-45 where it crosses Hogan. It's "only" 100 feet in the air right behind the new apartments that are supposed to go up next to the light rail line. You can't see the numbers in the attached cross-section, but you can see the crossing relative to the already-elevated light rail.

Edit: I may be reading the fine print wrong. It may only be about 50 feet. I think the 100 feet is MSL, not AGL.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Kinglyam
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kinglyam said:

Um, did you miss my comment just a bit earlier about this new I-10/I-45 being way up in the air along the southern edge of Hardy Yards? I was wrong about the 120 feet. That's I-45 where it crosses Hogan. It's "only" 100 feet in the air right behind the new apartments that are supposed to go up next to the light rail line. You can't see the numbers in the attached cross-section, but you can see the crossing relative to the already-elevated light rail.

Hi Kinglyam. My comment was about the realignment as a whole, not directly to your comment. Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TOMIKA! said:

Couldn’t agree more! Although, Dallas and Austin are fighting and seemingly beating TxDoT in similar battles. Houston has a weird way of being soooo backwards on this stuff. It’s like we are still living in 1972 sometimes..

Where and in what way have either Dallas or Austin been "fighting and seemingly beating TxDoT in similar battles" in any way different from what Houston is doing?

12 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Freeways are being torn down, removed, and buried in many cities that we aspire to be more like. Cities we compete with for jobs, corporate home and regional offices, and more. It's a quality of life and HEALTH issue. Expanding freeways is a last century solution.

We often see this claim being made, but when one looks into it, one finds scant evidence of any cities that are experiencing growth anything like Houston's who are not expanding freeways.   And, for what it's worth, this plan includes tearing down, removing and burying freeways.  Win Win.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Where and in what way have either Dallas or Austin been "fighting and seemingly beating TxDoT in similar battles" in any way different from what Houston is doing?

A couple of articles on how Dallas is pushing back: 

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2019/01/28/dallas-city-hall-beats-back-txdot-s-early-plans-for-i-30-s-1-3-billion-makeover/

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2019/01/city-finds-its-voice-pushes-back-on-txdots-awful-i-30-redesign/

5 hours ago, Avossos said:

It will certainly be transformative . . . it will have a significant negative impact on the ongoing development of EaDo. Something on the order of 20 blocks wiped out, including many bars/restaurants that have been there forever like Huynh’s and Kim Son, as well as new spots like Neil’s Bahr. The places that aren’t taken by eminent domain will likely still be affected by traffic and parking issues from the ongoing construction, which will take years to complete for that section.

This represents about 10% of the total land area of the EaDo triangle—gone.

All of this to help commuters from the suburbs and those traveling through the city—even though thru traffic should be taking the 610 loop, as was originally intended when the interstate system was developed and expanded. And there is no meaningful increase in the number of lanes, just two additional HOV lanes.

The only “good” thing about this project is the proposed cap park to connect what’s left of EaDo to GRB, Discovery Green, etc. But, the funding to develop that park is not accounted for in the TXDoT budget and the funding must come from a private source. And, even if the park gets built, there can be no significant construction on top of the cap. 

I fail to see how this is good for the area.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TOMIKA! said:

I’m not sure that’s significantly different from the process the Houston project has gone through.  TxDOT has made many changes in response to city and community push back.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I’m not sure that’s significantly different from the process the Houston project has gone through.  TxDOT has made many changes hi tiff in response to city and community push back.

It is, actually. City council in Houston has done nothing to push back against TxDOT. No leadership on that front. Karla Cisneros and Amanda Edwards have been the only ones that even ask questions of TxDOT in the public setting. The groundswell opposition in Houston has been mainly citizen groups like Stop TxDOT I-45 and the Make I-45 Better Coalition. Really hoping Isabel Longoria, Letitia Plummer, and some of the other candidates who have spoken out against TxDOT during the campaign trail get elected and speak up against TxDOT on behalf of their constituents. 

10 hours ago, TOMIKA! said:

It is, actually. City council in Houston has done nothing to push back against TxDOT. No leadership on that front. Karla Cisneros and Amanda Edwards have been the only ones that even ask questions of TxDOT in the public setting. The groundswell opposition in Houston has been mainly citizen groups like Stop TxDOT I-45 and the Make I-45 Better Coalition. Really hoping Isabel Longoria, Letitia Plummer, and some of the other candidates who have spoken out against TxDOT during the campaign trail get elected and speak up against TxDOT on behalf of their constituents. 

I don't care what letterhead was used. The fact is, the City of Houston has indeed "pushed back" on the design in very similar ways.  Note that Dallas City Council has not attempted to stop the I-30 project, only to modify the design.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 4