My trip to Atlanta this week

Gary, I would probably have to disagree with your first and second paragraph and your second to last paragraph contradicts the one above it. Anyway, I think it has gone way over your head what VelvetJ's "agenda" is. There are expectations that should come with a city our size and for the most part a lot of us are clearly apathetic of those issues, but then when we get those certain amenities that we so called never cared about in the first place, we use those to say how much better we are than another city.

I can understand why VelvetJ compares us with Dallas and Atlanta so much because right now it really does seem like we are at the bottom of the barrell, even with some metros that have millions less than we do and the very least that some of us want is to atleast be on par with those cities, but as I mentioned before are problem is our impatient side starts to come out and we look at what these two cities are doing and, eventhough it may not seem like it, we truly do forget what the future of this city holds while we are focusing all our attention on the future of other cities. [sorry for the run-on] In some ways that is human nature because we are always looking for new ideas when proposals for our city grow on us and are no longer interesting.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gary, I would probably have to disagree with your first and second paragraph and your second to last paragraph contradicts the one above it. Anyway, I think it has gone way over your head what VelvetJ's "agenda" is. There are expectations that should come with a city our size and for the most part a lot of us are clearly apathetic of those issues, but then when we get those certain amenities that we so called never cared about in the first place, we use those to say how much better we are than another city.

I can understand why VelvetJ compares us with Dallas and Atlanta so much because right now it really does seem like we are at the bottom of the barrell, even with some metros that have millions less than we do and the very least that some of us want is to atleast be on par with those cities, but as I mentioned before are problem is our impatient side starts to come out and we look at what these two cities are doing and, eventhough it may not seem like it, we truly do forget what the future of this city holds while we are focusing all our attention on the future of other cities. [sorry for the run-on] In some ways that is human nature because we are always looking for new ideas when proposals for our city grow on us and are no longer interesting.

Be a little more specific. Where am I contradicting myself? I admit it, I'm biased,

Secondly, I know Houston has some flaws that need working on, mainly mass transit, however these flaws we're created by the same thing that made this city great. It's a wild catter town where anything goes and the problems we face in large part are because of that.

Lastly, I think you and some others here don't consider the fact that different cities hit stride's at different times. Atlanta is simply hot right now. Of course Houston hasn't done to bad considering it's home sales continue to go up while the rest of the country is going down, in fact Houston is breaking records.

Bottom line to me is, that the people in question rarely talk positives about Houston, only what one city or another has over us. At least in there eyes.

See you say Houston has everything but an amusement park, but its not just that. Houston use to be a city where if they say there going to do it they will do it, now its if they say there going to do it, its likley they won't. For example, Shamrock Tower, the two Orion towers, more lightrail (now guided buses), the list goes on and on. I love Houston, Its a city thats repin my state, and the closes big city to my home, but the excitment of things getting built in cities like Dallas, Atlanta and other places and not in Houston, makes me not want to live there. Mabe this will all change and I will eat my own words hopefully.

I can understand why VelvetJ compares us with Dallas and Atlanta so much because right now it really does seem like we are at the bottom of the barrell, even with some metros that have millions less than we do

:lol::lol::lol:

You guys crack me up!

"Houston! We're more Detroit than Detroit is!"

"Houston! Why live in Newark, when you can live here?"

See you say Houston has everything but an amusement park, but its not just that. Houston use to be a city where if they say there going to do it they will do it, now its if they say there going to do it, its likley they won't. For example, Shamrock Tower, the two Orion towers, more lightrail (now guided buses), the list goes on and on. I love Houston, Its a city thats repin my state, and the closes big city to my home, but the excitment of things getting built in cities like Dallas, Atlanta and other places and not in Houston, makes me not want to live there. Mabe this will all change and I will eat my own words hopefully.

Read the third paragraph of my last post. Also remember that what these cities have going up, Houston had going up a long time ago.

Oh and by the way citykid, Houston had had many, many proposals not go up during the oil boom of the 70's and 80's. This is not new.

Read the third paragraph of my last post. Also remember that what these cities have going up, Houston had going up a long time ago.

Oh and by the way citykid, Houston had had many, many proposals not go up during the oil boom of the 70's and 80's. This is not new.

Yeah but in the 70's and 80's for all of those that didn't go up there where many that did unlike today.

Also, if you guys just have to get mad and say Atlanta isn't doing better than Houston, than why is Atlanta's metro population about to surpass Houston's??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I CAN'T HERE YOU!

Yeah but in the 70's and 80's for all of those that didn't go up there where many that did unlike today.

Also, if you guys just have to get mad and say Atlanta isn't doing better than Houston, than why is Atlanta's metro population about to surpass Houston's??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I CAN HERE YOU!

I don't understand a word you just said. Well, except for the tired old metro poulation crap. Oh, and don't forget to add an instant 150,000 to Houston's when you do your calculations.

Let me ask you citykid, what does Houston have that you really like? Also, aside from topography and the MARTA vs METRO issue, what does Atlanta have that Houston doesn't?

Also, if you guys just have to get mad and say Atlanta isn't doing better than Houston, than why is Atlanta's metro population about to surpass Houston's??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I CAN'T HERE YOU!

:blink:

Subdude, please don't close this thread.

Gary raises an excellent point-a point that places Houston a cut above Atlanta or any other American city today. We absorbed over 100,000 NO er's in less than a month.

Did'nt they used to call Atlanta the city too busy to hate?

Apparently it is also a city too busy to love or care.

Also, if you guys just have to get mad and say Atlanta isn't doing better than Houston, than why is Atlanta's metro population about to surpass Houston's??????????????????

Houstonians have a higher per capita income than Atlanta residents. Must mean we're doing something right.

Oh...and our port is bigger....bigger than Dallas', too.

:P

I don't understand a word you just said. Well, except for the tired old metro poulation crap. Oh, and don't forget to add an instant 150,000 to Houston's when you do your calculations.

Let me ask you citykid, what does Houston have that you really like? Also, aside from topography and the MARTA vs METRO issue, what does Atlanta have that Houston doesn't?

What I like about Houston:

I have a lot of family there.

Its the closes big city to my hometown.

Beaches near by.

Uptown- Galleria, waterwall, Highrise living, Highland Village near by.

Nothing I really like about downtown but its a big skyline (there is nothing to do there)

I like the many skylines around the city. Other than that there is really no place in Houston, besides the malls, Grocery stores, etc, clubs, to go where everybodys out and about like in Atlanta.

What I like about Atlanta:

Downtown Attractions- Georgia Aquarium, Underground Atlanta, World Of Coca Cola, CNN Center (Other Turner Productions), Schools downtown, Shopping, Eatting, The histroy, The tree lined streets, Midtown (basically is part of downtown),

Buckhead- Land Scape of the whole area, the way there is no parking in front of most building (only parallel), Highrise living, Many expenive hotels. There is an urban Krogers there, Urban Target center, Urban CheeseCake Factory, ESPN Zone, Rail to take you to the area, Lots of celebrity owned ventures in the area like Diddy's Justin's Resturant, Emril's Resturant, and more.

The Freeways, the many trees with an urban mix, the colleges, the vibe.

Gary raises an excellent point-a point that places Houston a cut above Atlanta or any other American city today. We absorbed over 100,000 NO er's in less than a month.

Did'nt they used to call Atlanta the city too busy to hate?

Apparently it is also a city too busy to love or care.

Yeah but of that population how many will stay, and of that population, how many are below the poverty line?

What I like about Houston:

I have a lot of family there.

Its the closes big city to my hometown.

Beaches near by.

Uptown- Galleria, waterwall, Highrise living, Highland Village near by.

Nothing I really like about downtown but its a big skyline (there is nothing to do there)

I like the many skylines around the city. Other than that there is really no place in Houston, besides the malls, Grocery stores, etc, clubs, to go where everybodys out and about like in Atlanta.

What I like about Atlanta:

Downtown Attractions- Georgia Aquarium, Underground Atlanta, World Of Coca Cola, CNN Center (Other Turner Productions), Schools downtown, Shopping, Eatting, The histroy, The tree lined streets, Midtown (basically is part of downtown),

Buckhead- Land Scape of the whole area, the way there is no parking in front of most building (only parallel), Highrise living, Many expenive hotels. There is an urban Krogers there, Urban Target center, Urban CheeseCake Factory, ESPN Zone, Rail to take you to the area, Lots of celebrity owned ventures in the area like Diddy's Justin's Resturant, Emril's Resturant, and more.

The Freeways, the many trees with an urban mix, the colleges, the vibe.

I'm not going to get in an itemized debate with you, as it's apparent after the above post it would be pointless. I will however say that your, there's nothing to do in DT Houston comment, is moronic. In fact the weekend nightlife in Houston leaves DT and MT Atlanta (combined) in the perverbial dust. That's a fact as I've been there and done that.

It's one thing to prefer one city to another, however it's completely different going into your decision with both eyes shut.

Yeah but of that population how many will stay, and of that population, how many are below the poverty line?

I don't know how many are below the poverty line.

Why do you ask? Does the number negate the goodwill freely given by Houston or would it just be another reason for Atlanta not to help carry the human load?

We didn't ask for a financial statement from those who came here for our offered help. We gave it freely.

Look, I don't give a rat's ass about Atlanta one way or another. I'm sure it's a nice place. What I do give a rat's ass about is people so obsessed with pointing out what they perceive to be the worst of Houston while completly loosing site of what the best is.

Imteresting report from the Census Bureau. Harris Co. is the 4th fastest growing county in the US last year, 52,000 people. Fulton County grew less than 10,000. The fastest growing county in the Atlanta Metro, Gwinnett Co., is 30 miles from Atlanta, TWO counties away.

How is Atlanta getting more urban if the population growth is 30 miles away? Even The Woodlands/Montgomery County is growing faster than Atlanta is, with 15,000 people last year.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/20...op05-table2.pdf

BTW, these are pre-Katrina numbers.

Imteresting report from the Census Bureau. Harris Co. is the 4th fastest growing county in the US last year, 52,000 people. Fulton County grew less than 10,000. The fastest growing county in the Atlanta Metro, Gwinnett Co., is 30 miles from Atlanta, TWO counties away.

How is Atlanta getting more urban if the population growth is 30 miles away? Even The Woodlands/Montgomery County is growing faster than Atlanta is, with 15,000 people last year.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/20...op05-table2.pdf

BTW, these are pre-Katrina numbers.

That's why I like having the old attorney around.

I find it interesting that no one has made a comment regarding Red's facts. So what's up citykid, cat got your tongue?

I sometimes wonder if your just toying with me citykid.

Do you even pay attention to what your writing? The Cencus numbers from the link you just gave, support the exact numbers Red gave you.

WAKE UP!

Well why are people on that page, even a Houstonian saying that Atlanta has or is about to pass Houston in Population read there replys. They are theres not mine.

Your not helping your cause tamtagon.

Now , I'll jump from 2nd floor balcony to my imminent death.

hahahaha I know I know, but it's just too easy sometimes drop a cheap shot like that.

I wish I knew more about Houston - more than weekend visits strung out over the years - to have a real opinion in the comparison. I wish I had lived there. Like your experiences, Gary, with trips to Atlanta. I cannot help but think that if you spent more time here, your disposition would change.

I agree with those who find validity to compare DFW, Atlanta and Houston. Each metro exists with similar characteristics across many demographic, economic and social data points. Despite the "data" similarities and the monotonus experience opportunities, and everything else which might indicate lifestyle opportunity redundancy, the places really are very different. I love to study it, too.

This forum gives anyone who reads it a good head start on Houston, but not enough to know what it's really like to be there. Like, if you read the DFW and Fort Worth forums, you get a similarly good idea about the Metroplex, but I know it's not enough to give a real sense of the place.

hahahaha I know I know, but it's just too easy sometimes drop a cheap shot like that.

I wish I knew more about Houston - more than weekend visits strung out over the years - to have a real opinion in the comparison. I wish I had lived there. Like your experiences, Gary, with trips to Atlanta. I cannot help but think that if you spent more time here, your disposition would change.

I agree with those who find validity to compare DFW, Atlanta and Houston. Each metro exists with similar characteristics across many demographic, economic and social data points. Despite the "data" similarities and the monotonus experience opportunities, and everything else which might indicate lifestyle opportunity redundancy, the places really are very different. I love to study it, too.

This forum gives anyone who reads it a good head start on Houston, but not enough to know what it's really like to be there. Like, if you read the DFW and Fort Worth forums, you get a similarly good idea about the Metroplex, but I know it's not enough to give a real sense of the place.

Your absolutely right, it's just difficult tohold back when someone comes in swinging.

Don't get me wrong, I like Atlanta. In fact I have said before that it's the friendliest city I've been to outside of Houston, for me that says a lot.

It obviously comes down to personal preference. I prefer Houston because I love it's overpowering feel. I don't get that in Atlanta. Houston reminds me of LA in quite a few aspects as well, which kind of does it for me since I don't get back to often.

My wife and I visited Atlanta several years ago (about 5 or 6 years ago?). I really liked the town...but it just didn't have the feel of home for me. I thought the scenery was nice (the wooded hilly terrain), and we loved the MARTA. That was very handy for two tourists without a car.

Without knowing anything about the city, my wife and I were easily able to hop on the MARTA, get off at just about any stop, and find something interesting to see or do.

As I've posted before somewhere on HAIF, the only thing that put us off about Atlanta was how segregated it seemed to be. And I don't believe that was just our perception. Yes, plenty of well-to-do blacks in the same places as well-to-do whites, but never in mixed company. My wife and I, who are a mixed-race couple, got stares everywhere we went. That was not just "perception", that was reality. There was no question about that...we were apparently an unusual sight for Atlanta. It struck us as odd, because we don't get a second look here in Houston. I didn't expect that in a city as large as Atlanta, but apparently some habits die hard.

But, overlooking that one aspect (because you can't let others' prejudices affect you), my wife and I enjoyed our weeklong stay in Atlanta. It was a very nice city. Not a place I could live (not just the perceived segregation, but too much "Southern" flavor all-around for this Texan), but it was a good place to visit.

Citykid, if you're so fired up about Atlanta, then go and enjoy it. Be a proud resident of ATL if you so choose. Nothing wrong with that.

Well why are people on that page, even a Houstonian saying that Atlanta has or is about to pass Houston in Population read there replys. They are theres not mine.

Hello, earth to citykid. Are you familiar with the US Census? You know, the Feds set it up to count and estimate population each year. Maybe if you stopped and read your own link you would stop making a fool of yourself.

My lord dude, your unconscious. :closedeyes:

Take a closer look at THE OFFICIAL stats. You'll find Harris at #3 and Fulton at #43. I'm assuming you read, so follow the years growth by both counties and you'll find the answer your not loooking for.

population estimates

Skip main navigation menu (ALT+9)

Estimates Data by geography national states counties cities & towns metropolitan areas puerto rico commonwealth puerto rico municipios by characteristic age race/ethnicity sex housing unit by event births & deaths net internal migration net international migration get the whole data set whole data set Analysis research press releases working papers publications evaluation estimates Graphics Gallery maps graphs american factfinder mapping Estimates Topics schedule of new estimates challenges terms & definitions methodology partnerships Geographic Topics geographic terms and definitions geographic changes geocodes Archives 2000s 1990s 1980s pre-1980 Related Topics projections american factfinder international data current population survey american community survey other surveys

Skip breadcrumb menu (ALT+8)

census > population estimates > counties | CO-EST2005-08

100 largest counties

Population Estimates for the 100 Largest U.S. Counties Based on July 1, 2005 Population Estimates: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2005

Geographic Area Population estimates April 1, 2000

July 1, 2005 July 1, 2004 July 1, 2003 July 1, 2002 July 1, 2001 July 1, 2000 Estimates base Census

Los Angeles County, CA 9,935,475 9,917,331 9,857,690 9,763,815 9,655,145 9,546,019 9,519,330 9,519,338

Cook County, IL 5,303,683 5,327,165 5,349,219 5,365,567 5,378,928 5,377,536 5,376,822 5,376,741

Harris County, TX 3,693,050 3,641,114 3,593,321 3,540,254 3,472,890 3,414,955 3,400,580 3,400,578

Maricopa County, AZ 3,635,528 3,498,587 3,388,711 3,293,441 3,195,893 3,096,692 3,072,335 3,072,149

Orange County, CA 2,988,072 2,982,094 2,959,273 2,927,768 2,895,293 2,857,017 2,846,289 2,846,289

San Diego County, CA 2,933,462 2,935,190 2,921,104 2,899,193 2,862,808 2,824,587 2,813,833 2,813,833

Kings County, NY 2,486,235 2,497,859 2,483,164 2,479,338 2,474,347 2,466,784 2,465,525 2,465,326

Miami-Dade County, FL 2,376,014 2,358,714 2,335,739 2,314,547 2,286,731 2,260,317 2,253,779 2,253,362

Dallas County, TX 2,305,454 2,291,071 2,281,411 2,273,205 2,262,154 2,225,439 2,218,842 2,218,899

Queens County, NY 2,241,600 2,250,718 2,244,238 2,248,293 2,244,077 2,231,312 2,229,379 2,229,379

Wayne County, MI 1,998,217 2,013,771 2,027,900 2,039,491 2,050,659 2,059,292 2,061,162 2,061,162

San Bernardino County, CA 1,963,535 1,916,418 1,863,158 1,809,080 1,761,798 1,719,093 1,709,434 1,709,434

Riverside County, CA 1,946,419 1,869,465 1,782,155 1,694,183 1,620,489 1,559,958 1,545,387 1,545,387

King County, WA 1,793,583 1,777,746 1,765,530 1,758,863 1,753,670 1,738,884 1,737,043 1,737,034

Broward County, FL 1,777,638 1,753,000 1,728,336 1,703,998 1,670,494 1,632,662 1,623,018 1,623,018

Clark County, NV 1,710,551 1,648,524 1,575,165 1,515,522 1,455,980 1,393,194 1,375,738 1,375,765

Santa Clara County, CA 1,699,052 1,681,980 1,675,492 1,674,727 1,689,783 1,686,252 1,682,585 1,682,585

Tarrant County, TX 1,620,479 1,587,019 1,557,128 1,525,317 1,488,780 1,454,401 1,446,172 1,446,219

New York County, NY 1,593,200 1,590,911 1,578,386 1,565,190 1,560,012 1,539,558 1,537,372 1,537,195

Bexar County, TX 1,518,370 1,492,361 1,466,101 1,441,574 1,415,473 1,397,805 1,392,931 1,392,931

Suffolk County, NY 1,474,927 1,474,519 1,468,053 1,454,995 1,441,556 1,424,196 1,419,369 1,419,369

Philadelphia County, PA 1,463,281 1,471,255 1,477,055 1,486,594 1,498,501 1,513,701 1,517,550 1,517,550

Middlesex County, MA 1,459,011 1,462,822 1,466,025 1,468,534 1,473,486 1,468,781 1,466,394 1,465,396

Alameda County, CA 1,448,905 1,452,096 1,458,105 1,463,859 1,470,249 1,450,391 1,443,741 1,443,741

Sacramento County, CA 1,363,482 1,351,428 1,330,377 1,301,393 1,266,243 1,230,236 1,223,499 1,223,499

Bronx County, NY 1,357,589 1,362,523 1,363,875 1,358,895 1,346,550 1,334,801 1,332,650 1,332,650

Cuyahoga County, OH 1,335,317 1,349,047 1,361,330 1,372,303 1,382,829 1,392,131 1,393,845 1,393,978

Nassau County, NY 1,333,137 1,337,693 1,339,759 1,339,311 1,336,779 1,336,454 1,334,544 1,334,544

Palm Beach County, FL 1,268,548 1,244,189 1,212,269 1,187,243 1,158,587 1,135,780 1,131,191 1,131,184

Allegheny County, PA 1,235,841 1,247,512 1,258,476 1,265,773 1,272,568 1,279,817 1,281,666 1,281,666

Oakland County, MI 1,214,361 1,212,181 1,208,013 1,202,962 1,202,176 1,196,614 1,194,156 1,194,156

Hillsborough County, FL 1,132,152 1,100,333 1,072,745 1,050,975 1,026,149 1,003,128 998,948 998,948

Hennepin County, MN 1,119,364 1,119,866 1,119,949 1,120,208 1,122,996 1,117,645 1,116,039 1,116,200

Franklin County, OH 1,090,771 1,087,462 1,086,086 1,081,835 1,078,679 1,071,571 1,068,869 1,068,978

Orange County, FL 1,023,023 989,873 963,638 944,525 925,988 902,297 896,344 896,344

Contra Costa County, CA 1,017,787 1,007,606 999,372 988,396 976,701 953,670 948,816 948,816

Fairfax County, VA 1,006,529 1,002,488 997,152 992,292 986,142 975,174 969,749 969,749

St. Louis County, MO 1,004,666 1,007,723 1,011,781 1,014,515 1,016,483 1,016,419 1,016,300 1,016,315

Salt Lake County, UT 948,172 934,838 924,896 917,557 910,045 900,623 898,412 898,387

Westchester County, NY 940,807 941,380 939,897 937,833 933,101 925,934 923,361 923,459

Erie County, NY 930,703 935,946 939,849 941,989 945,575 949,325 950,265 950,265

DuPage County, IL 929,113 928,126 924,495 921,047 915,157 906,743 904,152 904,161

Pinellas County, FL 928,032 927,498 925,566 924,448 923,570 922,257 921,495 921,482

Montgomery County, MD 927,583 921,631 916,073 906,863 893,927 878,545 874,165 873,341

Pima County, AZ 924,786 906,540 890,456 877,243 861,212 848,560 843,746 843,746

Milwaukee County, WI 921,654 926,764 931,437 933,864 936,693 939,600 940,164 940,164

Fulton County, GA 915,623 905,802 887,454 864,516 846,388 816,647 815,806 816,006

Shelby County, TN 909,035 906,287 904,602 901,375 898,721 898,265 897,472 897,472

Honolulu County, HI 905,266 899,562 893,075 886,220 879,343 875,377 876,156 876,156

Fairfield County, CT 902,775 901,819 899,616 894,778 889,867 884,788 882,567 882,567

Bergen County, NJ 902,561 901,745 898,297 894,696 891,040 885,865 884,118 884,118

Travis County, TX 888,185 868,873 854,029 845,598 842,547 819,743 812,312 812,280

Fresno County, CA 877,584 865,620 850,415 831,827 814,494 802,170 799,407 799,407

Hartford County, CT 877,393 873,879 872,578 866,861 861,979 858,525 857,183 857,183

Marion County, IN 863,133 861,847 863,289 862,174 863,098 860,454 860,454 860,454

New Haven County, CT 846,766 844,342 841,307 834,674 829,365 825,062 824,008 824,008

Prince George's County, MD 846,123 841,642 835,159 826,609 816,287 802,769 800,691 801,515

Macomb County, MI 829,453 822,965 815,557 807,977 800,411 790,929 788,149 788,149

Duval County, FL 826,436 819,623 811,531 801,793 790,485 779,689 778,866 778,879

Hamilton County, OH 806,652 813,639 822,318 830,036 838,663 843,974 845,276 845,303

Mecklenburg County, NC 796,372 771,573 752,744 734,927 719,269 700,311 695,370 695,454

Ventura County, CA 796,106 796,165 790,237 780,562 768,429 756,673 753,197 753,197

Essex County, NJ 791,057 795,015 797,184 796,382 794,714 792,666 792,305 793,633

Middlesex County, NJ 789,516 783,665 777,646 770,042 761,957 753,076 750,162 750,162

Baltimore County, MD 786,113 781,171 775,902 769,124 762,644 756,000 754,292 754,292

Worcester County, MA 783,262 778,608 775,371 769,301 761,732 752,702 749,973 750,963

Montgomery County, PA 775,883 773,375 770,538 764,146 758,276 750,943 748,987 750,097

Kern County, CA 756,825 734,077 713,249 692,892 675,876 663,789 661,653 661,645

Pierce County, WA 753,787 745,778 740,184 731,124 718,229 704,026 700,818 700,820

Wake County, NC 748,815 719,733 698,697 677,725 657,210 633,233 627,866 627,846

San Francisco County, CA 739,426 743,193 751,960 761,988 774,374 776,677 776,733 776,733

Essex County, MA 738,301 737,447 737,706 736,313 732,412 725,591 723,419 723,419

Monroe County, NY 733,366 735,816 736,521 736,321 735,409 735,697 735,343 735,343

Gwinnett County, GA 726,273 700,577 673,651 648,808 623,517 596,547 588,448 588,448

El Paso County, TX 721,598 712,617 702,507 693,682 687,635 681,508 679,622 679,622

Lake County, IL 702,682 692,869 682,335 675,047 662,328 648,800 644,620 644,356

Jefferson County, KY 699,827 698,903 698,059 695,843 694,757 693,872 693,604 693,604

San Mateo County, CA 699,610 698,156 698,800 701,206 707,271 708,454 707,163 707,161

Oklahoma County, OK 684,543 679,498 676,416 671,409 664,687 661,699 660,448 660,448

Hidalgo County, TX 678,275 657,310 635,373 612,758 591,189 574,029 569,463 569,463

DeKalb County, GA 677,959 674,335 673,783 673,170 672,428 668,389 666,072 665,865

Multnomah County, OR 672,906 671,363 677,562 674,887 668,490 661,466 660,469 660,486

San Joaquin County, CA 664,116 649,241 631,337 612,379 592,923 568,259 563,598 563,598

Cobb County, GA 663,818 654,649 645,820 638,349 626,806 612,467 607,751 607,751

Jackson County, MO 662,959 662,185 661,774 660,931 658,228 655,642 654,880 654,880

Collin County, TX 659,457 628,426 597,322 568,804 537,791 500,136 491,777 491,675

Jefferson County, AL 657,229 658,468 659,215 659,368 661,110 662,055 662,040 662,047

Snohomish County, WA 655,944 644,205 636,790 631,854 622,738 609,175 606,024 606,024

Suffolk County, MA 654,428 664,263 675,738 685,072 691,223 689,943 689,807 689,807

Norfolk County, MA 653,595 653,621 653,612 654,232 653,564 651,254 650,308 650,308

Will County, IL 642,813 617,494 585,609 559,381 533,275 508,339 502,267 502,266

Providence County, RI 639,653 641,874 639,018 634,004 627,746 622,814 621,602 621,602

Monmouth County, NJ 635,952 635,062 632,928 628,222 622,578 617,275 615,301 615,301

Baltimore city, MD 635,815 641,943 643,304 636,699 645,305 648,554 651,154 651,154

Bucks County, PA 621,342 617,214 612,853 609,076 604,122 599,490 597,632 597,635

Bernalillo County, NM 603,562 592,538 581,663 572,195 561,881 556,870 556,002 556,678

Hudson County, NJ 603,521 605,359 607,497 609,709 612,947 609,483 608,975 608,975

Kent County, MI 596,666 592,999 590,327 586,405 581,886 576,289 574,335 574,335

Davidson County, TN 575,261 571,948 569,731 569,016 571,178 569,950 569,892 569,891

Tulsa County, OK 572,059 568,611 569,813 569,780 566,284 563,832 563,301 563,299

Note: The April 1, 2000 Population Estimates base reflects changes to the Census 2000 population from the Count Question Resolution program and geographic program revisions.

terms & definitions

methodology download excel spreadsheet

download file with comma separated values (*.csv)

(right-click to download)

Suggested Citation:

Table CO-EST2005-08 - Population Estimates for the 100 Largest U.S. Counties Based on July 1, 2005 Population Estimates: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2005

Source: Population Division, U.S. Census Bureau

Hello, earth to citykid. Are you familiar with the US Census? You know, the Feds set it up to count and estimate population each year. Maybe if you stopped and read your own link you would stop making a fool of yourself.

My lord dude, your unconscious. :closedeyes:

Take a closer look at THE OFFICIAL stats. You'll find Harris at #3 and Fulton at #43. I'm assuming you read, so follow the years growth by both counties and you'll find the answer your not loooking for.

population estimates

Skip main navigation menu (ALT+9)

Estimates Data by geography national states counties cities & towns metropolitan areas puerto rico commonwealth puerto rico municipios by characteristic age race/ethnicity sex housing unit by event births & deaths net internal migration net international migration get the whole data set whole data set Analysis research press releases working papers publications evaluation estimates Graphics Gallery maps graphs american factfinder mapping Estimates Topics schedule of new estimates challenges terms & definitions methodology partnerships Geographic Topics geographic terms and definitions geographic changes geocodes Archives 2000s 1990s 1980s pre-1980 Related Topics projections american factfinder international data current population survey american community survey other surveys

Skip breadcrumb menu (ALT+8)

census > population estimates > counties | CO-EST2005-08

100 largest counties

Population Estimates for the 100 Largest U.S. Counties Based on July 1, 2005 Population Estimates: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2005

Geographic Area Population estimates April 1, 2000

July 1, 2005 July 1, 2004 July 1, 2003 July 1, 2002 July 1, 2001 July 1, 2000 Estimates base Census

Los Angeles County, CA 9,935,475 9,917,331 9,857,690 9,763,815 9,655,145 9,546,019 9,519,330 9,519,338

Cook County, IL 5,303,683 5,327,165 5,349,219 5,365,567 5,378,928 5,377,536 5,376,822 5,376,741

Harris County, TX 3,693,050 3,641,114 3,593,321 3,540,254 3,472,890 3,414,955 3,400,580 3,400,578

Maricopa County, AZ 3,635,528 3,498,587 3,388,711 3,293,441 3,195,893 3,096,692 3,072,335 3,072,149

Orange County, CA 2,988,072 2,982,094 2,959,273 2,927,768 2,895,293 2,857,017 2,846,289 2,846,289

San Diego County, CA 2,933,462 2,935,190 2,921,104 2,899,193 2,862,808 2,824,587 2,813,833 2,813,833

Kings County, NY 2,486,235 2,497,859 2,483,164 2,479,338 2,474,347 2,466,784 2,465,525 2,465,326

Miami-Dade County, FL 2,376,014 2,358,714 2,335,739 2,314,547 2,286,731 2,260,317 2,253,779 2,253,362

Dallas County, TX 2,305,454 2,291,071 2,281,411 2,273,205 2,262,154 2,225,439 2,218,842 2,218,899

Queens County, NY 2,241,600 2,250,718 2,244,238 2,248,293 2,244,077 2,231,312 2,229,379 2,229,379

Wayne County, MI 1,998,217 2,013,771 2,027,900 2,039,491 2,050,659 2,059,292 2,061,162 2,061,162

San Bernardino County, CA 1,963,535 1,916,418 1,863,158 1,809,080 1,761,798 1,719,093 1,709,434 1,709,434

Riverside County, CA 1,946,419 1,869,465 1,782,155 1,694,183 1,620,489 1,559,958 1,545,387 1,545,387

King County, WA 1,793,583 1,777,746 1,765,530 1,758,863 1,753,670 1,738,884 1,737,043 1,737,034

Broward County, FL 1,777,638 1,753,000 1,728,336 1,703,998 1,670,494 1,632,662 1,623,018 1,623,018

Clark County, NV 1,710,551 1,648,524 1,575,165 1,515,522 1,455,980 1,393,194 1,375,738 1,375,765

Santa Clara County, CA 1,699,052 1,681,980 1,675,492 1,674,727 1,689,783 1,686,252 1,682,585 1,682,585

Tarrant County, TX 1,620,479 1,587,019 1,557,128 1,525,317 1,488,780 1,454,401 1,446,172 1,446,219

New York County, NY 1,593,200 1,590,911 1,578,386 1,565,190 1,560,012 1,539,558 1,537,372 1,537,195

Bexar County, TX 1,518,370 1,492,361 1,466,101 1,441,574 1,415,473 1,397,805 1,392,931 1,392,931

Suffolk County, NY 1,474,927 1,474,519 1,468,053 1,454,995 1,441,556 1,424,196 1,419,369 1,419,369

Philadelphia County, PA 1,463,281 1,471,255 1,477,055 1,486,594 1,498,501 1,513,701 1,517,550 1,517,550

Middlesex County, MA 1,459,011 1,462,822 1,466,025 1,468,534 1,473,486 1,468,781 1,466,394 1,465,396

Alameda County, CA 1,448,905 1,452,096 1,458,105 1,463,859 1,470,249 1,450,391 1,443,741 1,443,741

Sacramento County, CA 1,363,482 1,351,428 1,330,377 1,301,393 1,266,243 1,230,236 1,223,499 1,223,499

Bronx County, NY 1,357,589 1,362,523 1,363,875 1,358,895 1,346,550 1,334,801 1,332,650 1,332,650

Cuyahoga County, OH 1,335,317 1,349,047 1,361,330 1,372,303 1,382,829 1,392,131 1,393,845 1,393,978

Nassau County, NY 1,333,137 1,337,693 1,339,759 1,339,311 1,336,779 1,336,454 1,334,544 1,334,544

Palm Beach County, FL 1,268,548 1,244,189 1,212,269 1,187,243 1,158,587 1,135,780 1,131,191 1,131,184

Allegheny County, PA 1,235,841 1,247,512 1,258,476 1,265,773 1,272,568 1,279,817 1,281,666 1,281,666

Oakland County, MI 1,214,361 1,212,181 1,208,013 1,202,962 1,202,176 1,196,614 1,194,156 1,194,156

Hillsborough County, FL 1,132,152 1,100,333 1,072,745 1,050,975 1,026,149 1,003,128 998,948 998,948

Hennepin County, MN 1,119,364 1,119,866 1,119,949 1,120,208 1,122,996 1,117,645 1,116,039 1,116,200

Franklin County, OH 1,090,771 1,087,462 1,086,086 1,081,835 1,078,679 1,071,571 1,068,869 1,068,978

Orange County, FL 1,023,023 989,873 963,638 944,525 925,988 902,297 896,344 896,344

Contra Costa County, CA 1,017,787 1,007,606 999,372 988,396 976,701 953,670 948,816 948,816

Fairfax County, VA 1,006,529 1,002,488 997,152 992,292 986,142 975,174 969,749 969,749

St. Louis County, MO 1,004,666 1,007,723 1,011,781 1,014,515 1,016,483 1,016,419 1,016,300 1,016,315

Salt Lake County, UT 948,172 934,838 924,896 917,557 910,045 900,623 898,412 898,387

Westchester County, NY 940,807 941,380 939,897 937,833 933,101 925,934 923,361 923,459

Erie County, NY 930,703 935,946 939,849 941,989 945,575 949,325 950,265 950,265

DuPage County, IL 929,113 928,126 924,495 921,047 915,157 906,743 904,152 904,161

Pinellas County, FL 928,032 927,498 925,566 924,448 923,570 922,257 921,495 921,482

Montgomery County, MD 927,583 921,631 916,073 906,863 893,927 878,545 874,165 873,341

Pima County, AZ 924,786 906,540 890,456 877,243 861,212 848,560 843,746 843,746

Milwaukee County, WI 921,654 926,764 931,437 933,864 936,693 939,600 940,164 940,164

Fulton County, GA 915,623 905,802 887,454 864,516 846,388 816,647 815,806 816,006

Shelby County, TN 909,035 906,287 904,602 901,375 898,721 898,265 897,472 897,472

Honolulu County, HI 905,266 899,562 893,075 886,220 879,343 875,377 876,156 876,156

Fairfield County, CT 902,775 901,819 899,616 894,778 889,867 884,788 882,567 882,567

Bergen County, NJ 902,561 901,745 898,297 894,696 891,040 885,865 884,118 884,118

Travis County, TX 888,185 868,873 854,029 845,598 842,547 819,743 812,312 812,280

Fresno County, CA 877,584 865,620 850,415 831,827 814,494 802,170 799,407 799,407

Hartford County, CT 877,393 873,879 872,578 866,861 861,979 858,525 857,183 857,183

Marion County, IN 863,133 861,847 863,289 862,174 863,098 860,454 860,454 860,454

New Haven County, CT 846,766 844,342 841,307 834,674 829,365 825,062 824,008 824,008

Prince George's County, MD 846,123 841,642 835,159 826,609 816,287 802,769 800,691 801,515

Macomb County, MI 829,453 822,965 815,557 807,977 800,411 790,929 788,149 788,149

Duval County, FL 826,436 819,623 811,531 801,793 790,485 779,689 778,866 778,879

Hamilton County, OH 806,652 813,639 822,318 830,036 838,663 843,974 845,276 845,303

Mecklenburg County, NC 796,372 771,573 752,744 734,927 719,269 700,311 695,370 695,454

Ventura County, CA 796,106 796,165 790,237 780,562 768,429 756,673 753,197 753,197

Essex County, NJ 791,057 795,015 797,184 796,382 794,714 792,666 792,305 793,633

Middlesex County, NJ 789,516 783,665 777,646 770,042 761,957 753,076 750,162 750,162

Baltimore County, MD 786,113 781,171 775,902 769,124 762,644 756,000 754,292 754,292

Worcester County, MA 783,262 778,608 775,371 769,301 761,732 752,702 749,973 750,963

Montgomery County, PA 775,883 773,375 770,538 764,146 758,276 750,943 748,987 750,097

Kern County, CA 756,825 734,077 713,249 692,892 675,876 663,789 661,653 661,645

Pierce County, WA 753,787 745,778 740,184 731,124 718,229 704,026 700,818 700,820

Wake County, NC 748,815 719,733 698,697 677,725 657,210 633,233 627,866 627,846

San Francisco County, CA 739,426 743,193 751,960 761,988 774,374 776,677 776,733 776,733

Essex County, MA 738,301 737,447 737,706 736,313 732,412 725,591 723,419 723,419

Monroe County, NY 733,366 735,816 736,521 736,321 735,409 735,697 735,343 735,343

Gwinnett County, GA 726,273 700,577 673,651 648,808 623,517 596,547 588,448 588,448

El Paso County, TX 721,598 712,617 702,507 693,682 687,635 681,508 679,622 679,622

Lake County, IL 702,682 692,869 682,335 675,047 662,328 648,800 644,620 644,356

Jefferson County, KY 699,827 698,903 698,059 695,843 694,757 693,872 693,604 693,604

San Mateo County, CA 699,610 698,156 698,800 701,206 707,271 708,454 707,163 707,161

Oklahoma County, OK 684,543 679,498 676,416 671,409 664,687 661,699 660,448 660,448

Hidalgo County, TX 678,275 657,310 635,373 612,758 591,189 574,029 569,463 569,463

DeKalb County, GA 677,959 674,335 673,783 673,170 672,428 668,389 666,072 665,865

Multnomah County, OR 672,906 671,363 677,562 674,887 668,490 661,466 660,469 660,486

San Joaquin County, CA 664,116 649,241 631,337 612,379 592,923 568,259 563,598 563,598

Cobb County, GA 663,818 654,649 645,820 638,349 626,806 612,467 607,751 607,751

Jackson County, MO 662,959 662,185 661,774 660,931 658,228 655,642 654,880 654,880

Collin County, TX 659,457 628,426 597,322 568,804 537,791 500,136 491,777 491,675

Jefferson County, AL 657,229 658,468 659,215 659,368 661,110 662,055 662,040 662,047

Snohomish County, WA 655,944 644,205 636,790 631,854 622,738 609,175 606,024 606,024

Suffolk County, MA 654,428 664,263 675,738 685,072 691,223 689,943 689,807 689,807

Norfolk County, MA 653,595 653,621 653,612 654,232 653,564 651,254 650,308 650,308

Will County, IL 642,813 617,494 585,609 559,381 533,275 508,339 502,267 502,266

Providence County, RI 639,653 641,874 639,018 634,004 627,746 622,814 621,602 621,602

Monmouth County, NJ 635,952 635,062 632,928 628,222 622,578 617,275 615,301 615,301

Baltimore city, MD 635,815 641,943 643,304 636,699 645,305 648,554 651,154 651,154

Bucks County, PA 621,342 617,214 612,853 609,076 604,122 599,490 597,632 597,635

Bernalillo County, NM 603,562 592,538 581,663 572,195 561,881 556,870 556,002 556,678

Hudson County, NJ 603,521 605,359 607,497 609,709 612,947 609,483 608,975 608,975

Kent County, MI 596,666 592,999 590,327 586,405 581,886 576,289 574,335 574,335

Davidson County, TN 575,261 571,948 569,731 569,016 571,178 569,950 569,892 569,891

Tulsa County, OK 572,059 568,611 569,813 569,780 566,284 563,832 563,301 563,299

Note: The April 1, 2000 Population Estimates base reflects changes to the Census 2000 population from the Count Question Resolution program and geographic program revisions.

terms & definitions

methodology download excel spreadsheet

download file with comma separated values (*.csv)

(right-click to download)

Suggested Citation:

Table CO-EST2005-08 - Population Estimates for the 100 Largest U.S. Counties Based on July 1, 2005 Population Estimates: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2005

Source: Population Division, U.S. Census Bureau

Add all of Atlanta's area counties togeather and they are about to surpass Houston's there counties are much smaller than Harris and Ft Bend.

Anyways, by the next census Harris County will go down to the 4th largest county and Maricopa County, AZ will go up to #3.

Archived