San Jacinto Monument

Ashikaga

I have fond memories of riding the elevator to the top of the San Jacinto Monument. Then when we would leave, it was thrilling going through the Baytown LaPorte Tunnel.

The monument was built 70 years ago. I've always wondered if it has required some kind of maintenance over all of those years. Did the outside have to be cleaned? If so, was a 570-foot scaffold constructed? I wouldn't have had the courage to clean of the star on the top. What about the inside part where the elevator goes up and down? Didn't it have to be cleaned and oiled? If so, I wonder how it was done?

The monument was built 70 years ago. I've always wondered if it has required some kind of maintenance over all of those years.

I think it's had various work done through the years. In the mid 80's I think they replaced

a lot of the limestone blocks. The holding pins rusted to a larger size, and pushed or

cracked the blocks. The new stones came from the same quarry as the originals. I think it's

been having some work done recently, and should be about done.

MK

What about the inside part where the elevator goes up and down? Didn't it have to be cleaned and oiled? If so, I wonder how it was done?

I would think that would be done while standing atop the elevator car. I've seen them doing maintenance on another car/shaft, and there were some controls and lights on top of the car...don't know if that's what they were there for, but it would sure make it a pretty simple operation.

I know the "shaft" (insert any other sexual inuendo's here) is under rennovation, because they wouldn't let me go to the top because of construction, and said it wouldn't be in operation until a few months time. I think it might have been a few months by now?

Y'all think the monument offends the Mexicans?

why wouldn't it? they were on the losing side

where 600 men were killed in an 18 minute final

battle, yes? i do think that the oil paintings inside

the monument depict the mexican side in a very

respectful way.

yet, i do remember being surprised when they used

the metal from santa anna's sword, buttons etc, to

make a set of silverware (currently displayed at the

monument).

was that common?

Hey, the Mesicins lost. That mean that the Texans got to write the history and set the rules. But if you look at recent and future demographics I would say that the Mexicans may get the last laugh. They will be running the show when the lights finally go out.

why wouldn't it? they were on the losing side

where 600 men were killed in an 18 minute final

battle, yes? i do think that the oil paintings inside

the monument depict the mexican side in a very

respectful way.

monument).

was that common?

as i said, i think the monument is very respectful

about the whole battle -- which is a challenge when any

two groups of people end up killing each other over

anything.

i really like the monument yet it seems that each

time i have been there the upper part is closed for

some reason. there are actually some displays there

which show its construction and other renovations.

Y'all think the monument offends the Mexicans?

No more than the statue of Admiral Nelson in London's Trafalgar Square should offend the French.

Although, it should be noted that when the president of France visited the Queen a few years back (I think at Kensington Palace) they covered up all references to the "Waterloo Room."

monument).

was that common?

In that era, yes. I saw a monument in Vienna that was formed from melted down Turkish weapons and artillery. The lions at Trafalgar Square in London are formed from melted French cannons. It's actually more civilized that what earlier European cultures did -- sticking the heads of their defeated enemies on sticks for all to see; though there are still some cultures that do that today.

In that era, yes. I saw a monument in Vienna that was formed from melted down Turkish weapons and artillery. The lions at Trafalgar Square in London are formed from melted French cannons. It's actually more civilized that what earlier European cultures did -- sticking the heads of their defeated enemies on sticks for all to see; though there are still some cultures that do that today.

thanks for replying to that -- i thought it was odd to make it

silverware, though. i was there (on a date!) and said -- "well,

that's very english now, isn't it?" ( :unsure: stupid!)

eating off the metal that was previously killing your troops?

creepy.

I haven't visted the San Jacinto battlegrounds in probably 7 years. Reading the initial post makes me want to go see it. Maybe have a picnic on the grounds. I like it there.

I remember when I was little, being up at the very top and someone saying if you dropped a coin it would go right through a person standing below on the ground. :lol:

You might say that the San Jacinto Monument is the gravestone for many of the Mexicans who died in the battle. Fact is, the Texans did not bother to bury the enemy dead, and most of them simply rotted in the field where they died, or else various animals feasted on and carried away the corpses.

The woman who owned the battleground property petitioned the new government repeatedly to

Yes, but the French don't pretend to own London.

Yeah -- Typical new generation Mexican-American myopia. I remember one of the DJs from one of the Mexican stations in Houston going off about how everyone should remember that Texas used to be part of Mexico, like she was some kind of smartypants for having that bit of common knowledge. I felt like reminding her that it also used to be France and we shouldn't ignore our French heritage, either.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting back on topic:

The elev and observ deck are closed for rennovation - it was found to be a death trap - if the museum ever caught fire, the shaft would act as a chimney and direct all the smoke into the observ chamber.

Supposedly it's gonna be fixed.

And on a related note: entry into San Jac park used to be free, but as of Feb or March it's now $1 a person to get on the grounds.

Getting back on topic:

The elev and observ deck are closed for rennovation - it was found to be a death trap - if the museum ever caught fire, the shaft would act as a chimney and direct all the smoke into the observ chamber.

And on a related note: entry into San Jac park used to be free, but as of Feb or March it's now $1 a person to get on the grounds.

Hey, I was just wondering: Does the San Jacinto Monument have an emergency stairway? If it does, you would get some good exercise climbing up 570 feet of stairs.

Getting back on topic:

A couple weeks ago a friend of mine and I rode our bikes from Pasadena down to the monument, which appeared to still be closed. We did have to pay $1.

• 1 month later...
A couple weeks ago a friend of mine and I rode our bikes from Pasadena down to the monument, which appeared to still be closed. We did have to pay $1.

Yep, I was there for the San Jac Festival about 3 weeks ago. Still closed.

It was supposed to be reopening Spring 2006, but like any state project, who knows when it will really happen.

$1.00 :o still a deal

As long as I lived in Houston I have never been to the San Jac park :unsure: yeah I know I ought to be ashamed.

Don't feel too bad.. I haven't been in it since 1964.. Still have pix of the event too...

I have been to the battleship since that time though. In the middle 80's, I was part

of a group that ran a ham radio "special events" station on the battleship Texas.

That was a blast. We got to stay on the ship overnight, except that it got so cold

that we quit a bit early. "Was in the winter". We had all our radios set up in the

combat information center, which was about halfway up the bridge. Still had all

the old radar sets, etc, etc.. I got to take a unguided tour of that thing the next

day, and was able to really take my time looking at everything. The only part I

couldn't really see, was the old radio room, which was blocked off at that time.

In recent years, some local hams have redone that radio room, and it may be

open now, but I'm not sure. I remember that thing got *cold* at night.. All

that metal.... Nope...Didn't see any ghosts... :/

MK

• 3 weeks later...
Don't feel too bad.. I haven't been in it since 1964.. Still have pix of the event too...

I have been to the battleship since that time though. In the middle 80's, I was part

of a group that ran a ham radio "special events" station on the battleship Texas.

That was a blast. We got to stay on the ship overnight, except that it got so cold

that we quit a bit early. "Was in the winter". We had all our radios set up in the

combat information center, which was about halfway up the bridge. Still had all

the old radar sets, etc, etc.. I got to take a unguided tour of that thing the next

day, and was able to really take my time looking at everything. The only part I

couldn't really see, was the old radio room, which was blocked off at that time.

In recent years, some local hams have redone that radio room, and it may be

open now, but I'm not sure. I remember that thing got *cold* at night.. All

that metal.... Nope...Didn't see any ghosts... :/

MK

I started wondering something. Is the monument really popular in this day and age? Does it really have about the same number of visitors each year since in opened back in the 1930s?

Its history is interesting if you read up on it. I go every couple of years or so. they have a movie downstairs about the actual battle of San Jacinto for a fee i believe. Because it was built in the 30's, the art deco influence in the building is amazing. Just remember it is the tallest monument and tallest masonry structure in the world.

Some history, facts and figures.

The link below has some pics of the remodeling by month.

Monument Renovation pics

• 4 weeks later...
I started wondering something. Is the monument really popular in this day and age? Does it really have about the same number of visitors each year since in opened back in the 1930s?

The San Jacinto Battleground and Monument have been one of the most visited historic sites in Texas since it was built in the 1930s. Only the Alamo gets more visitors. I grew up in Pasadena in the 50s and I can offer first hand testimony that it was, in those days, the most popular lovers lane on that side of the county. It was wide open 24/7, no gates, no admission, and we could drive out there and park all night, which I did on a number of occasions. For years, it was a running joke that the Monument was getting smaller, because very night some guys would go out there and knock off a piece.

That era ended around 1960, when a kid from La Porte was killed there one night. Some Pasadena kids and some kids from La Porte were drag racing and for some reason a big argument developed. As the kids from La Porte drove away, a Pasadena kid fired a shot at the car with a 22 pistol. He was just aiming in the general direction of the car but his shot killed one of the La Porte kids. That was the end of 24/7 access to the Battleground. TPW put up the gates right after that, and started closing the park around 10pm.

Archived