Marq*E Entertainment Center At 7620 Katy Fwy.

If I had to guess it would be a mattress store and a check cashing boutique.

There are prints in some of the vacant storefronts showing what is being planned. If I remember correctly, they're putting in a Tmobile and some other "standard" stores. Next time I go (Its the theater I go to often), I'll take a picture or notes.

I was thinking they should have designed it a bit differently to encourage more foot traffic in main "mall".

I live nearby at TC Jester and I-10, but I always drive to the Edwards at Wesleyan and Richmond because I can't stand the teenagers at the MarqE.

I never really feel safe near the theater. I have been to the Dave & Busters when it was Jillians, but only because and organization I belong to was hosting an event there.

The place has potential, but the demographics does not support it. So more offices located near it would support eateries in the place and add some traffic for better stores.

The removal of Vans helped it a lot more than hurt. The demographic Vans brought in is not the one to support a place like this.

The removal of Vans helped it a lot more than hurt. The demographic Vans brought in is not the one to support a place like this.
Yeah, teenagers at a mall?? What were they thinking!

I agree with kjb. The demographic that Vans was bringing to Marq*E wasn't simply "teenagers." It was a subset of wild, unsupervised, rude teenagers that made people like me not want to go there. Not only did they irritate the rest of the people there, they also weren't spending any money in the stores or restaurants. They were the outdoor mall version of mallrats, only much douchier. :lol:

Anyway, these little asshats (1) don't spend money and therefore don't support the business at Marq*E, (2) they discourage other people from coming out to Marq*E with their obnoxious behavior, which means that (3) people who would otherwise come and spend money at the cinema, restaurants, stores, etc. stop patronizing them and the whole place goes to pot.

Yeah, Vans is such a huge loss. :rolleyes:

I agree with kjb. The demographic that Vans was bringing to Marq*E wasn't simply "teenagers." It was a subset of wild, unsupervised, rude teenagers that made people like me not want to go there. Not only did they irritate the rest of the people there, they also weren't spending any money in the stores or restaurants. They were the outdoor mall version of mallrats, only much douchier. :lol:

Anyway, these little asshats (1) don't spend money and therefore don't support the business at Marq*E, (2) they discourage other people from coming out to Marq*E with their obnoxious behavior, which means that (3) people who would otherwise come and spend money at the cinema, restaurants, stores, etc. stop patronizing them and the whole place goes to pot.

Yeah, Vans is such a huge loss. :rolleyes:

But it was unique tenant regardless, and I agree with the majority of your post, but I am sure that some of the asshats supported the restaurants.

They were essentially spending "mommy and daddy" 's money.

If they wanted those kids out of the house all day, they'd get hungry, so I am sure the parents threw in some extra cash.

How else would those kids get money for cigs! :lol:

I just realized that with my post above, I sounded like I should be in my front yard with a walker and my pants pulled up to my chest, yelling "Get off my lawn, you damned kids!"

I'm only 27. :blink::lol:

Welcome to my world. And get off my lawn.

I live nearby at TC Jester and I-10, but I always drive to the Edwards at Wesleyan and Richmond because I can't stand the teenagers at the MarqE.

I never really feel safe near the theater. I have been to the Dave & Busters when it was Jillians, but only because and organization I belong to was hosting an event there.

The place has potential, but the demographics does not support it. So more offices located near it would support eateries in the place and add some traffic for better stores.

I don't think so. I remember when Vans was there, on a Friday and Saturday night, every single parking space was filled up. Jillians was packed, Vans was packed, Edwards was packed. I don't think it's like that anymore.

I was only in 5th, 6th, and 7th grade when all this was going down. The place was cool back then. Haven't really been there since. I've been to IKEA though ;).

Edited by Trae

It is funny how the theater demographics have changed over the years. I remember when I first went there were many young professionals and families as the paying customers. Now it is full of rowdy teenagers who don't know how to behave in a theater setting. You don't talk to each other or the cell and move from aisle to aisle while the movie is playing. I now go to the Memorial City location or Angelica.

There are always cell phone lights at Memorial City, Katy Mills, Cinemark Katy, etc. I'm guilty, too :(. I'm always texting, but I'm nice to the people around me and have my cell phone light low, and then I turn it upside down when I'm not using it.

Sorry guys. ;)

I work out at the LA Fitness at the Marq*E and noticed a new sign. So I come up close and notice that there are plans to redevelop the Marq*E a bit. It looks like they are going to demolish the space where the Improv and Drink Houston used to stand, relocated those two to across the walkway, and have it be more visible to I-10 traffic.

Construction is to occur in 2009.

Lots of people come to the Marq*E. But for the life of me, I can never understand why its retail space can NOT have 100% occupancy.

I gotta agree with you on that. I mean, that's just plain stupid.

Why spend whateverthehellamoviecoststhesedays to watch a movie and then spend the time talking on the phone or texting?

I'm sorry, but that's just stupid as all getout.

I can text without looking son. I have talent. That, and it doesn't take long. It's not like I'm writing a book. ;)

Edited by Trae

I can text without looking son. I have talent. That, and it doesn't take long. It's not like I'm writing a book. ;)

The point Trae is that it is distracting to people around you.

I'm looking at a screen and suddenly a bright object turns on and by human nature the eye is attracted to it. It IS rude.

One of the lovely features about this theater is (for card members) they hand you little remotes to allow you to contact management discretely if something is going down (Sound, Video, Piracy, and 'Other Disturbance.') On more than one occasion I've gotten a family kicked out because the kids were running around in an "R" movie!

Sorry Trae, I don't touch my cell when I'm in a theater, and I think its a poor manners to text around you during a movie. It's just as annoying as someone sitting next to you and talking on their cell.

I guess so, because it annoys me when people have their cell phone out in their face and not even trying to hide it. When I went to go see The Happening at Katy Mills, they had a manager come in and tell us not to have cell phones out, or we will be kicked out.

I'll take the advice, but sometimes plans need to be made for what to do after the movie. ;)

I guess so, because it annoys me when people have their cell phone out in their face and not even trying to hide it. When I went to go see The Happening at Katy Mills, they had a manager come in and tell us not to have cell phones out, or we will be kicked out.

I'll take the advice, but sometimes plans need to be made for what to do after the movie. ;)

As IMPORTANT as those plans may be, certainly they can be completed or wait the 2 hours it takes for the movie to finish its run.

Sorry, but it IS a major pet peeve and consider it rude.

Okay, but sometimes things happen. Like during Wanted, I had to leave early because my sister needed a ride home and I wasn't going to leave her in the empty mall by herself.

I agree stuff happens, but few things happen that can't wait four 2 hours. I guess this means you're going to ignore your phone otherwise?

Just turn it off ... I am in agreement. I mean, what's so important when you are supposed to be relaxing and having a good time, that it cant wait 1.5 - 2 hours until the movie is over?

I never turn my phone off, unless I'm low on battery. I wouldn't turn it off during the movie. I try not to be loud and disruptive though. I'm the quiet guy in the crew. :)

I never turn my phone off, unless I'm low on battery. I wouldn't turn it off during the movie. I try not to be loud and disruptive though. I'm the quiet guy in the crew. :)

It's easy to be the "quiet" one if you're only talking in a normal voice while others are screaming.

I put it on silence and forget the world for two hours. Even someone checking the phone is distracting. You try it sometime (without looking at your own) and see for yourself.

I guess so. My experience in movies is still good though. I'll take some advice and not check my phone all the time. Some movies warrant it though. Like The Love Guru. That. Was. Horrible.

Okay. I'll give you that one. it was bad.

I expected more.

Anyway, I want this place to thrive and I give it as much business as I can.

I just realized that with my post above, I sounded like I should be in my front yard with a walker and my pants pulled up to my chest, yelling "Get off my lawn, you damned kids!"

I'm only 27. :blink::lol:

Never too early to become conservative. Still better than me -- I think I was born uptight, if that's at all possible.

Accessing MarqE is a huge pain in the ass. I'm familiar with the area and know all the roads that elude irregular visitors -- North Post Oak, the Katy Road exit, etc. For the less fortunate, it's a complete nightmare, especially those trying to access southbound 610. Probably the most navigationally perplexing development outside DT.

I was at Marq*E this weekend to catch The Dark Knight and was floored by the near-complete lack of tenants. I hadn't been there in a while, I guess, since last time I was at the complex there was a Coldstone Creamery, a cute little French coffeeshop (Vietnamese-owned), an EB Games, a Hot Topic, the A&W restaurant, another gaming store (selling D&D type stuff) and a few others. Yesterday? Nothing between Claire's and Cafe Adobe. The whole place looked like a ghost town. Even Dave & Buster's looks weary and tattered.

What is going on here? And can someone please explain to me why they're building pad sites when they can't even keep tenants in the main complex? :blink: