Marq*E Entertainment Center At 7620 Katy Fwy.

The Marq*E doesn't seem to bad to me. I think the closing of Vans brought down its value.

I'm new to Houston. Went to this center for the first time this weekend and was surprised by how empty it is. Can someone share some background on why this isn't succeeding?

It use to be pretty good when Vans Skatepark was around and Jillians was up and hoping. Don't know what happened. They built that parking garage for a reason. Wonder how empty it sits now.

Edited by Trae

Actually, it's packed, but most people go to (now) Dave and Busters and theater. The rest seem to thrive overall; Red Robin, The Mexican Restaurant, Drink Houston, Todai (YUM!), and the wings place seems to do quite well. My major disappointment is that the other businesses didn't do very well. I don't know if they picked the wrong businesses to lease there. I really want the place to do well, but the location, the closure of their exit isn't helping and I think the construction almost doomed the thing.

1.) It's hard to get to (and the construction didn't help)

2.) They built the parking garage too late. It was REALLY crowded when it opened and I think a lot of people just kind of gave up.

3.) It's overrun with gang-bangers and troublemakers. Sure, there are a lot of teenagers at any mall, but this one feels seedier for some reason. When I used to go over there it felt really unsafe walking to my car.

3.) There is not one major department store or retailer and the whole place. And aside from the movies and Dave and Busters, it just feels kind of rinky-dink to me. I know that it's called "entertainment center" but still, some bigger name chain restaurants - or really nice one-off places - would have been nice.

Edited by cottonmather0

3.) It's overrun with gang-bangers and troublemakers. Sure, there are a lot of teenagers at any mall, but this one feels seedier for some reason. When I used to go over there it felt really unsafe walking to my car.

3.) There is not one major department store or retailer and the whole place. And aside from the movies and Dave and Busters, it just feels kind of rinky-dink to me. I know that it's called "entertainment center" but still, some bigger name chain restaurants - or really nice one-off places - would have been nice.

3.) I don't think it is different from any other place. I go there all the time and I never felt unsafe. Frustrated with traffic, yes, but never felt unsafe.

3.) I agree, they probably do need a store, but considering the area, I wouldn't know what kind of store would fit there. Its dab smack in the middle of Northwest, Galleria, and Memorial City Malls and it would be interesting to see what CAN fit there.

Was that before they put the police dept. storefront in?

Was that before they put the police dept. storefront in?

I don't remember one being there, but if there is now, then yes.

Again, we quit going over there about two years ago when we got tired of the crowded parking lots and the punks. It very well could be a much different place than it used to be from that perspective.

1.) It's hard to get to (and the construction didn't help)

2.) They built the parking garage too late. It was REALLY crowded when it opened and I think a lot of people just kind of gave up.

It's in a really awkward place to and in my opinion, kinda hard to get to.

The last few times I've been there it's been dead, save a few teens roaming around. We go to the NY Pizzeria sometimes. The Cafe Adobe is ok, but doesn't compare to the one on Westheimer as atmosphere goes, and on top of that their drinks are more expensive. I've never felt unsafe, but I have gotten that ghost town feeling the past couple of times.

The last few times I've been there it's been dead, save a few teens roaming around. We go to the NY Pizzeria sometimes. The Cafe Adobe is ok, but doesn't compare to the one on Westheimer as atmosphere goes, and on top of that their drinks are more expensive. I've never felt unsafe, but I have gotten that ghost town feeling the past couple of times.

Definitely not unsafe, but coming in from the North, it is weird (and hard) to get to. You have to go down to another exit, and make a u-turn and then come back. Not worth it in my book.

I work out at the LA Fitness at the Marq*E and noticed a new sign. So I come up close and notice that there are plans to redevelop the Marq*E a bit. It looks like they are going to demolish the space where the Improv and Drink Houston used to stand, relocated those two to across the walkway, and have it be more visible to I-10 traffic.

Construction is to occur in 2009.

Lots of people come to the Marq*E. But for the life of me, I can never understand why its retail space can NOT have 100% occupancy.

It looks like they are going to demolish the space where the Improv and Drink Houston used to stand

I get what you are saying, but at the same time, did they shut down already? I take it as when their leases are up, they will tear those two sites down (the Improv and Drink Houston spaces). As of now, I believe both are still in business.

Well, I figure sometime next year they'll clear out the space across from the Improv and Drink Houston, have them move to the other side, and then demolish the space. I'll take a pic when I can...

Lots of people come to the Marq*E. But for the life of me, I can never understand why its retail space can NOT have 100% occupancy.

Because the freeway in front of it has been under construction for the past several years and it is an absolute pain in the ass to get there.. and even more so to get back on the freeway when leaving.

That would be my guess.

They never went downhill after losing Jillians. It was Vans Skatepark. Jillians was still around for a while after Vans left.

It was actually bought out and is now a Dave and Busters. They are always packed.

Didn't Magic Johnson buy the whole place. They went downhill pretty fast after losing Jillian's, and some bad press about stabbings and gunplay can't help you out either.

Nah, it held steady. I think HPD put a storefront in there to help curb crime in the large crowds. I think the occupancy problem is that there's no traffic during the week. Most of those little mall-type retail shops need 7 days worth of sales to stay open.

those stores were low budget and over head mom and pop stores. they sold Magic cards, sunglasses, cheap sports jerseys and Hot Tropic/goth kid art bags and t-shirts.

were any of those stores going to last long? nope.

and Drink still packs them in. there is always a line on the front sidewalk. even at midnight when I'm going home.

I'm surprised they are going to tear down Drink and Improv. the Improv is nice on the inside.

So the Improv and Drink are just moving? I hope this center can come back to what I remember (when Vans was there). I think LA Fitness needs to go. Redevelop it into different stores, or bring in another large retailer.

It was actually bought out and is now a Dave and Busters. They are always packed.

OH DUH ! That's right I keep forgetting they bought it . I think we even talked about it in another thread, and about how I used to work at the original D&B's on Richmond. Before anyone chimes in, YES, I know the ORIGINAL original is in Dallas.

Because the freeway in front of it has been under construction for the past several years and it is an absolute pain in the ass to get there.. and even more so to get back on the freeway when leaving.

That would be my guess.

Marq*E has been troubled since long before I-10 reconstruction. It is certainly a nice space, but tenant turnover was and is ridiculous, and it has been plagued with chronically high vacancy rates.

My theory is that it was justified on the basis of the high average household incomes from the 77024 zip code on the south side of I-10 and the relatively young population on the north side of I-10 when people were pulling demographics. Seeing those kinds of numbers made the underwriters happy, but the devil was in the details. The young folks which would comprise the target market that live within one and three miles of the project are on the whole not particularly well-to-do. The wealth is controlled by households in neighborhoods that have among the highest proportions of elderly people in the whole Houston area...and those people don't visit Van's.

...add to that that the center is on the wrong side of I-10.

Edited by TheNiche

So the Improv and Drink are just moving? I hope this center can come back to what I remember (when Vans was there). I think LA Fitness needs to go. Redevelop it into different stores, or bring in another large retailer.

Well yes, Improv and Drink are just moving.

I disagree with you about LA Fitness. I work out there, and that place is full of people during the week. It definitely has its use.

Well, I went to watch a movie there yesterday (sunday) and I noticed they had some significant chunks of the parking lot on the silber side fenced off. Is this supposed to be part of it?

Actually, a Bank of America is going up on the corner of Silber and the feeder.

• 1 month later...

So there's another building being erected on the Silber side of the Marq*E - It looks like one of those pad sites where it can fit 3 pieces of retail. Wonder what it's going to be? And of course, the foundation is being set for the BoA branch