Marq*E Entertainment Center At 7620 Katy Fwy.

I was at Marq*E this weekend to catch The Dark Knight and was floored by the near-complete lack of tenants. I hadn't been there in a while, I guess, since last time I was at the complex there was a Coldstone Creamery, a cute little French coffeeshop (Vietnamese-owned), an EB Games, a Hot Topic, the A&W restaurant, another gaming store (selling D&D type stuff) and a few others. Yesterday? Nothing between Claire's and Cafe Adobe. The whole place looked like a ghost town. Even Dave & Buster's looks weary and tattered.

What is going on here? And can someone please explain to me why they're building pad sites when they can't even keep tenants in the main complex? :blink:

Maybe, just maybe, they're expecting a rush of customers once I-10 is finished.

I was at Marq*E this weekend to catch The Dark Knight and was floored by the near-complete lack of tenants. I hadn't been there in a while, I guess, since last time I was at the complex there was a Coldstone Creamery, a cute little French coffeeshop (Vietnamese-owned), an EB Games, a Hot Topic, the A&W restaurant, another gaming store (selling D&D type stuff) and a few others. Yesterday? Nothing between Claire's and Cafe Adobe. The whole place looked like a ghost town. Even Dave & Buster's looks weary and tattered.

What is going on here? And can someone please explain to me why they're building pad sites when they can't even keep tenants in the main complex? :blink:

As I stated before, the "nothing" between Claire's and Adobe will become the new space for the Improv and Drink Houston. Everything between Drink Houston and NY Pizzeria will be removed and cleared (including the Drink Houston space). I'm not sure what's going to happen to the Pump It Up.

As for the ghost town feel - maybe. But the parking lots are always full of cars.

I did some asking around, and one guy told me that other than the BoA, the pad sites will have a Panda Express, a cell phone store, and possibly a Gap.

Edited by Javi

What is it about Cricket stores? I hear jokes about those places. I know it was a Cricket store where that poor woman was murdered a few months back.

Sorry, and I know a good HAIF buddy of mine uses Cricket. . . please forgive me ;)

But Cricket is basically the same thing as an AT&T Go phone, Boost Mobile, or Amp'd Mobile. It is a pay as you go or non credit check type carrier. Correct me if I am wrong.

This carrier appeals to the "bad credit" market. I dunno, I don't see it as a benefit to the Marq*E redevelopment.

Sorry, and I know a good HAIF buddy of mine uses Cricket. . . please forgive me ;)

But Cricket is basically the same thing as an AT&T Go phone, Boost Mobile, or Amp'd Mobile. It is a pay as you go or non credit check type carrier. Correct me if I am wrong.

This carrier appeals to the "bad credit" market. I dunno, I don't see it as a benefit to the Marq*E redevelopment.

I'm on Cricket. Love it!

Unlimited everything. $45 a month.

What's not to love?

• 2 weeks later...

I tear rolled down my cheek as I was at the MarqE last week seeing Dark Knight. You can still see some of the store signs on the building (like Coldstone). I remember where Hot Topic, Pac Sun (I think it was a Pac Sun), and EB were, too. I'm telling you, the Vans closing hurt this place a lot more than you think. I remember all of the skater kids would migrate out of Vans and buy new stuff at Pac Sun and Hot Topic.

Edited by Trae

I tear rolled down my cheek as I was at the MarqE last week seeing Dark Knight. You can still see some of the store signs on the building (like Coldstone). I remember where Hot Topic, Pac Sun (I think it was a Pac Sun), and EB were, too. I'm telling you, the Vans closing hurt this place a lot more than you think. I remember all of the skater kids would migrate out of Vans and buy new stuff at Pac Sun and Hot Topic.

I noticed the Putting Edge Is not listed as a new tenant either. It's very sad that it went from a unique urban style concept to a typical garbage strip with this renovation plan. I hate the new parking lot and I hate the locations of the new buildings.

It's very sad that it went from a unique urban style concept to a typical garbage strip with this renovation plan. I hate the new parking lot and I hate the locations of the new buildings.

I hate it. I know the mall is not doing well, but they basically undid the compact mall design and made it more like a strip center. It evolved backwards.

I agree with you but the reality of it was that these stores were not making money. I think it had to do with the fact that the only business these little mall type businesses were getting were on the weekends, and even then, there weren't many transactions taking place.

I think this is probably best plan to save it. I'd rather see this than to let it continue to be a vacant development that dies.

If anything, it evolved forwards - if only to survive.

I actually visit this place during the week for Pump it Up, I bring my kid there about once a week for the open play. There are usually only like 6 kids there, lol, so nice for me but not nice for the tenant I guess. Putting Edge, I believe, closed. Heard it was the whole lock on the door scenario. It was a cute little place, I had gone there like once too. Todai is a real treat too, I love that place, that Cafe Adobe is nice because it is pretty often empty. I even dig Red Robin and Improv. I think moving Drink and Improv is great, maybe they will open stores there in their place that open to the outside parking and the inside so you don't have to trek in if you don't want to. Some of the stores in the newer section of Woodlands Mall like the Loft are like that and I'm more likely to pop in that way.

Gotta agree about Vans too, I don't think this place initially intended to be marketed to the "get off my lawn!" demo in the first place with the possible exception of Cafe Adobe and the theatre. EB Games, Hot Topic, ice cream, Claire's...it's seeems like they were marketing straight to kids. It needed Vans, but it seems Vans was not enough. And I miss Jillian's, where the heck did the hyper bowl machine go?!

• 1 month later...

Is that center still infamous for car break-ins?

The 8-10 times I've been, I've seen multiple tell-tale small piles of glass...

and, yet, a remarkable # of yellow topped security trucks and, of course

lots of HPD. Leaving my car 2 hours for a movie struck me in its similarity

to parking a block from the Midtown Greyhound Station:

Everything will possibly be OK.

Great dirt, but if you don't have a better mix of national chains with those limited inventory mom-and-pops,

then we see what happens. Nighttime is OK w/restaurants, theatre, expensive diversions (D+B), but

everything else crumbles.

I hope they find some daytime winners...

Edited by InTheLoop

• 1 month later...
Is that center still infamous for car break-ins?

The 8-10 times I've been, I've seen multiple tell-tale small piles of glass...

and, yet, a remarkable # of yellow topped security trucks and, of course

lots of HPD. Leaving my car 2 hours for a movie struck me in its similarity

to parking a block from the Midtown Greyhound Station:

Is that why they keep closing off the top floors of the parking garage on the busiest nights? Why would someone build a parking garage to only use the first three floors???

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Lock, I've always wondered about that too ... isn't it bordered by rail to the north though? Maybe that's why?

The space was formerly occupied by Cameron (for oil or chemical or something like that)...anyways the site would require a ton of prep and "decontamination" in order to build on it and although the government offers incentives for developers it's obviously too much of a hassle for anyone right now to have any interest in building there

Tell me if I'm wrong in these thoughts... and they're just random thoughts I'm throwing out there, like em or hate em... I'm not going to go on the defensive hardcore for a few brainstorms, with that said, here they are...

1. There's too much surface parking, currently and on the new plan. Too strip center-ish even as it is now. Maybe a redesign of the garage, with more security and multiple fast elevators will make the garage parking more attractive, and free up space for more stores... that is if they could be successful by adding more places. More places to go creates more reason to come here, right? The economy wont be down forever.

2. In addition to #1, maybe some of that former parking space could be green space, used like a park... or something semi-similar to Discovery Green?

3. On a site like this I'd expect a 24 hour Starbucks. I know, do we really need another Starbucks?! But, still, on a site like this I would expect some sort of "Coffee House".

4. Edwards is probably the biggest money maker and attraction to this site. Perfect dinner and a movie site for whatever your dining tastes happen to be that night. One thing Edwards could do to potentially increase profits is more IMAX screens. Just one more for now. It's the only IMAX in the city that isn't part of another establishment which show films other than mainstream movies (HMNS, Moody Gardens, to name a few), and I think it could benifit from more big opening nights where the IMAX ticket brings in more $$ and people whom want that experience. It's been a while since I saw an IMAX movie I'll admit, but last time I was there it was packed... but that was for Batman Begins... dunno if the IMAX is doing as well in recent months.

And I'm gonna miss this place not having a Cold Stone (or was it Marble Slab?) a Hot Topic, and The Putting Edge. So many times I wanted to go to Putting Edge in the past 2 years but it was always closed cause the owner didn't pay up their lease. I enjoyed their overpriced glow in the dark putt-putt where there was always someone behind you playing too fast forcing you to hurry up, and always someone in front of you playing slow as hell, forcing you to have to wait after rushing. Oh good times.

Tell me if I'm wrong in these thoughts... and they're just random thoughts I'm throwing out there, like em or hate em... I'm not going to go on the defensive hardcore for a few brainstorms, with that said, here they are...

1. There's too much surface parking, currently and on the new plan. Too strip center-ish even as it is now. Maybe a redesign of the garage, with more security and multiple fast elevators will make the garage parking more attractive, and free up space for more stores... that is if they could be successful by adding more places. More places to go creates more reason to come here, right? The economy wont be down forever.

2. In addition to #1, maybe some of that former parking space could be green space, used like a park... or something semi-similar to Discovery Green?

3. On a site like this I'd expect a 24 hour Starbucks. I know, do we really need another Starbucks?! But, still, on a site like this I would expect some sort of "Coffee House".

4. Edwards is probably the biggest money maker and attraction to this site. Perfect dinner and a movie site for whatever your dining tastes happen to be that night. One thing Edwards could do to potentially increase profits is more IMAX screens. Just one more for now. It's the only IMAX in the city that isn't part of another establishment which show films other than mainstream movies (HMNS, Moody Gardens, to name a few), and I think it could benifit from more big opening nights where the IMAX ticket brings in more $$ and people whom want that experience. It's been a while since I saw an IMAX movie I'll admit, but last time I was there it was packed... but that was for Batman Begins... dunno if the IMAX is doing as well in recent months.

And I'm gonna miss this place not having a Cold Stone (or was it Marble Slab?) a Hot Topic, and The Putting Edge. So many times I wanted to go to Putting Edge in the past 2 years but it was always closed cause the owner didn't pay up their lease. I enjoyed their overpriced glow in the dark putt-putt where there was always someone behind you playing too fast forcing you to hurry up, and always someone in front of you playing slow as hell, forcing you to have to wait after rushing. Oh good times.

I agree with the 24hour starbucks and the park idea sounds good, but there's a high probability of it becoming run-down like the rest of the center if they were skimpy on the maintenance budget.

As for The Putting Edge, I went one time and I thought it was so boring. I'm a fan of moving obstacles or "looping tracks" and stuff like that, this one only had glow in the dark walls :P ok ok the skee-ball final hole was good but more of the holes should have been like that.

I think this thing is owned my the Magic Johnson Group and they haven't been the best at taking care of the property.

There used to be a bunch of retail, but when a lot of them closed I think due to lack of quality customers.

FYI The land behind the Marque is going to be a Wallmat.

4. Edwards is probably the biggest money maker and attraction to this site. Perfect dinner and a movie site for whatever your dining tastes happen to be that night. One thing Edwards could do to potentially increase profits is more IMAX screens. Just one more for now. It's the only IMAX in the city that isn't part of another establishment which show films other than mainstream movies (HMNS, Moody Gardens, to name a few), and I think it could benifit from more big opening nights where the IMAX ticket brings in more $ and people whom want that experience. It's been a while since I saw an IMAX movie I'll admit, but last time I was there it was packed... but that was for Batman Begins... dunno if the IMAX is doing as well in recent months.

Edwards is most definitely not the only "mainstream" IMAX theater in Houston. You have one in Tomball, I believe AMC on I-45 and Beltway 8, plus, there are theaters around Houston that are adding in an IMAX theater (First Colony is one that I can think of).

Edwards is most definitely not the only "mainstream" IMAX theater in Houston. You have one in Tomball, I believe AMC on I-45 and Beltway 8, plus, there are theaters around Houston that are adding in an IMAX theater (First Colony is one that I can think of).

Well just those that you mentioned are no where near me. Marq*e Center is. The closest one to me and the one I go most frequently is Edwards Grand Palace near Richmond & Weslayan, but alas, 24 screens and no IMAX.

I haven't heard of any others adding in an IMAX theater, but would be nice. I'll be keeping an eye out.

EDIT: Forgot to mention... the more and more I look at the situation Marq*e Center is in, and the more I look at the redevelopment plans, the more convinced I am that this is what it needs to survive. At first I was rather against this taking the shape of a strip center, but now it's pretty much do or die. Last few times I went, can't tell you how dead the place was.

Edited by Geoff8201