Port of Dallas Developments

Throughout this post JasonDFW has presented many of the complexities in demographic comparison. Do you look at MSA or city boundaries? Maybe counties? But they are also all different sizes.

As an example consider Dallas vs. Houston (selected to provide an example - NOT to continue the ongoing silly debate):

Comparing counties using the very fresh census data (source US Census):

Harris County is the 3rd most populous in the US: 3,693,050

Meanwhile, Dallas County come in 9th with a population of: 2,305,454 (much less than Harris),

and neighboring Tarrant County is 18th with 1,620,479 (note that these are not isolated counties - people flow across the county line in both directions).

These number are (appropriately) very impressive for Harris County. It has a much larger population than the other two. However this data does not reflect that the three counties are not the same size in land area (source World Almanac). Harris County is 1,729 sq. mi.; Dallas County is 880 sq. mi.; Tarrant County is 863 sq.mi. Hardly a fair comparison.

For comparative purposes, if Dallas and Tarrant County are considered as one in order to be more equivalent, the size would be Dallas-Tarrant 1,743 sq mi - almost exactly the same as Harris at 1,729 sq mi. The equivalent populations would be: 3,925,933 for Dallas-Tarrant vs. 3,693,050 for Harris. In this case Dallas-Fort Worth is slightly larger.

The reality is, these are not the boundaries, but the example shows the arbitrary nature of comparing these regions. If Dallas and Tarrant counties had originally been established as one county, it would have been the same size, but its population would be larger than Harris County's population. Since they were not, it is somewhat irrelevant to compare the three counties. For the same reason it is difficult (perhaps meaningless) to compare cities based upon their arbitrary boundaries. Of course the exception is if you are a city or county administrator who is responsible for more or less citizens depending upon your city/county population.

Ultimately, the point is that these comparisons are not very meaningful given the differences in geographic size. What really matters is the urbanized area - with which Houston and Dallas are very similar.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well its not like Houston Changed it's county size just to be ahead of Dallas. If my knowledge serves me correctly, Harris county has had its borders since its creation. :P

Hahahah.

Anyways, the numbers for NYC I was interested in are CITY limit population figures. How many are in the Burro of Manhattan. How many are in the burro of Queens. Brooklyn, Staten Island, Bronx, etc. Surely someone out there knows this. And I am too lazy to go look it up.

Hahahah.

Anyways, the numbers for NYC I was interested in are CITY limit population figures. How many are in the Burro of Manhattan. How many are in the burro of Queens. Brooklyn, Staten Island, Bronx, etc. Surely someone out there knows this. And I am too lazy to go look it up.

When did New York get burros? Do they use them to pull the carriages? I hope they don't get cheesy like in Tijuana, paint them black and white and pawn them off as zebras. :P

I am actually a Houstonian. You just seem to bash Dallas constantly for no reason. I guess I am able to see the best in both cities.

Your kidding right? You constantly show your bias toward Dallas.

I think you need to spend a day rereading your past posts on ANYTHING regarding a Houston/Dallas thread.

I'm still waiting for Dallasboi to support those wildly inflated employment numbers he threw out 2 days ago. Since he can't support them, it is likely because they do not exist, and are wrong. While this project, if it comes about, should be a boon for SE Dallas, it won't produce near the numbers Dallasboi made up.

BTW, Dallasboi, you always take our disputes of your posts as a slap at Dallas. That is untrue. We are slapping YOUR erroneous posts. There is a huge difference. Please don't confuse the two.

When did New York get burros? Do they use them to pull the carriages? I hope they don't get cheesy like in Tijuana, paint them black and white and pawn them off as zebras. :P

I once read a Dallas forumer refer to Fort Worth as "essentially" a burrough of Dallas (he compared it to Brooklyn in Particular). Anyways, as far as the "burros". I dont know about that. But yaks, now yaks are very flexible indeed. And fun, too. :unsure:

[sound of gallops as 2112 rides away on his yak...]

I once read a Dallas forumer refer to Fort Worth as "essentially" a burrough of Dallas (he compared it to Brooklyn in Particular). Anyways, as far as the "burros". I dont know about that. But yaks, now yaks are very flexible indeed. And fun, too. :unsure:

[sound of gallops as 2112 rides away on his yak...]

The only people I know of that claim Ft Worth as a part of Dallas, are those from Dallas. Since these discussions started (at least since I've read abouth them on HAIF) I've talked with several of my friends in Ft Worth and they dispute they are part of Dallas. In fact it's offensive to several of them.

Ft Worth is an established city in it's own right and doesn't hang on the Big D like the Big D does Ft Worth. Kind of intersting huh?

I'm looking forward to a claimed native of Ft Worth to dispute this.

i like dallas and all but its too artificial. Nothing really authentic about it. If you think about it, there's really no reason for dallas to exist in the first place. The thing that made Dallas big was fashion not industrial resources that made Houston.

Your kidding right? You constantly show your bias toward Dallas.

I think you need to spend a day rereading your past posts on ANYTHING regarding a Houston/Dallas thread.

I might be biased towards one city on any given day, depnding upon hte subject of course. I just think that sompe people get so upset over the smallest of details. I defend Houston as much as Dallas. That being said, go back and reread my posts and find the most negative comment regarding both cities. Let's see how biased I am.

Have a great evening!

i like dallas and all but its too artificial. Nothing really authentic about it. If you think about it, there's really no reason for dallas to exist in the first place. The thing that made Dallas big was fashion not industrial resources that made Houston.

Tier:

Please don't provoke the Dallasites. <_<

-your friend, Montrose1100

(*wait, I sound like a MOD...)

• 2 weeks later...
Please don't provoke the Dallasites. <_<

I think the idea of Dallas is great: by being number 2, it begs the question, who's number one?

Take care.

[2112 leaves the office to get another cup of fresh coffee.]

Just to check, does anyone on this forum want to talk about the potential and/or impact of the agile port, or is it a topic mostly for fun and games?

It has been pretty widely acknowledged that the "agile port" will be good for both D-FW and Houston. Do you have something more to contribute, or did you just want to whine?

Will the Port of Dallas be located near their ski resort?

The ski resort is still in the planning stages. These recent advertisorial media quips give a general idea what's being attempted:

Year-round winter theme park planned for Dallas

Dallas Business Journal - 2:12 PM CST Monday

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/s...ml?surround=lfn

A North Texas development group aims to bring the Dallas-Fort Worth area its first year-round winter sports theme park.

The park has a $375 million pricetag ... The theme park will use snowflex, a new technology developed by Briton Engineering in Great Britain ... an agreement with former House Majority Leader Dick Armey, who will assist in finding potential equity investors and will act as an adviser to the company.

Web site: www.winterplex.com

Snowboarding in Dallas? Cool!

Investors say they're planning year-round park for winter sports

12:00 AM CST on Tuesday, March 28, 2006

From Staff Reports

The park would have a 60-acre, 20-story outdoor ski and snowboarding mountain and ice rinks. Bearfire plans to use Snowflex, an artificial snow technology used in Europe and developed by U.K. firm Briton Engineering. Winter scene creator Dieter Sturm of Lake Geneva, Wis. has the exclusive sales and marketing rights for Snowflex in the U.S.

E-mail businessnews@dallasnews.com

The really funny thing is all of you Dallas guys coming onto a Houston board pondering why Houstonians care so much about what is going on in Dallas, why Houstonians care so much about what Dallasites think of them, and declaring that Dallasites don't care anything about Houston. Ironic, no?

I took you up on your invitation and went to the Dallas website and looked around. In my brief perusal, the main difference I noted was the lack of interjections by defensive and humorless people from outside the subject city (people who, one might say, seem to have chips on their shoulders).

This explains it. My bad. I'm looking in the wrong place for real Houstonian opinions of the agile port. Really, I should have known better.

My favorite was the picture of Captain Cooter getting ready for his maiden voyage.

[2112 ... and then moons the Dallasites]

Great, now my eyes are bleeding.

This explains it. My bad. I'm looking in the wrong place for real Houstonian opinions of the agile port. Really, I should have known better.

tamtagon, please. We're talking about a complex of railroad yards, freeways and warehouses, located in an undeveloped area 240 miles away. How can you possibly expect Houstonians to get wound up over that? If I was a transportation engineer, or if I lived nearby, or had some other connection to this, it might pique our interest. But, other than the effect it might have on the Port of Houston, this is not interesting.

I realize it may be huge to Dallas. But, just as Dallasites do not know where the Spring Rail Yard is, and don't care, this is not sexy to Houstonians. The Cowboys' new stadium is interesting. Downtown revitalization is interesting. DART Rail is interesting. Rail yards are not interesting, no matter how many trains come in.

As to what Houston 19514 said, if no one from Houston is posting on Dallas boards, that suggests a lack of interest in Dallas matters by Houstonians. If some Dallasites post on a Houston board, that suggests an interest in Houston matters BY THOSE POSTERS. To read anything more than that into it is stretching.

If I could think of anything more to say about the agile port, I would. I can't so I won't. What more do you want?

EDIT: By the way, the Port of Houston is very interesting. All of those parking lots with containers stacked 10 high around it....extremely boring.

Archived