Port of Dallas Developments

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:wacko:

Yes. It's all good. Except for the part where you call it a "Port". This is essentially a very large collection of high-end truck stops, warehouses, and a train yard. The fact that it will be successful and joy will be had does not change the facts. And the facts are these: There is no body of water for over 200 miles from this collection of buildings, there will be no ships or sea vessels close by, and there is no port. These are the facts. And they are undisputed.

Regards,

"If there are no seagulls, then it's not a Port"

They are in fact disputed by your own post:

"A dry port is a term sometimes used to describe a yard used to place containers or conventional bulk cargo, usually connected to a seaport by rail or road."

You can fight it if you want, but the English language is a constantly evolving thing. If you want to insist this isn't a water port then you're wasting your breath but if you want to claim the the only type of ports are sea ports then you're just plain silly. An airport is a great example somebody already mentioned.

By the way there will be no less than 5 varieties of seagulls there. The biggest concentrations of Seagulls in Houston and Dallas are near garbage dumps, the sea has never been a requirement for them.

Jason

Image search "Port" on Google and see how many truck stops show up.

None.

Do a search for inland port, so you don't get the results swamped out by much more common sea ports, and gee whiz what is the first hit? Exactly what we're talking about here. Funny how that works:

http://tti.tamu.edu/researcher/v39n1/images/map.jpg]http://tti.tamu.edu/researcher/v39n1/images/map.jpg

Next thing y'all are going to tell me that Norwegian Cruise Line starts service to the Port of Dallas.

Do a search for inland port

Technically, the Port of Houston is an "inland" port.

If a cruise ship can't sail to it, then it's not a port. It's a glorfied container hub and storage facility.

caraibes-Caraibes---Mexique-rXrcEDT7.gif

MAN, WHAT IN THIS WORLD CAN'T THE CITY OF DALLAS DO? DALLAS CAN DO THE UNTHINKABLE--IT CAN BUILD A PORT WITHOUT ANY REAL CONNECTION WITH WATER. IT GETS VICTORY, IT BUILDS SUBWAY, IT GETS FEDERAL FUNDING, IT GETS A HOUSE OF BLUES TOO, AND WILL PROBABLY GET THE NEXT TRUMP TOWER. MY GAWD! HOUSTON CAN'T HAVE ONE THING WITHOUT DALLAS GETTING A PIECE OR A TASTE OF IT TOO!

Mods, please don't take this post as a flame but i will express my opinions and feelings on this matter. Dallas gets everything. Like Dallasboi sarcastically mentioned, Dallas will def have 1up on Houston and will continue to in the future. It already has an amusement park and Houston doesn't! What's more? It's mass transit options murder ours, It's economy is stronger because its teamed up with Fort Worth's. Even though it might relatively match Houston's now, it will definitely surpass Houston's once this port is built.

I apologize in advance if my rant offends anyone but i'm just being brutally honest. I see what's happening. Dallas is taking over the whole state and will be the leader in Texas sooner than later!

MAN, WHAT IN THIS WORLD CAN'T THE CITY OF DALLAS DO? DALLAS CAN DO THE UNTHINKABLE--IT CAN BUILD A PORT WITHOUT ANY REAL CONNECTION WITH WATER. IT GETS VICTORY, IT BUILDS SUBWAY, IT GETS FEDERAL FUNDING, IT GETS A HOUSE OF BLUES TOO, AND WILL PROBABLY GET THE NEXT TRUMP TOWER. MY GAWD! HOUSTON CAN'T HAVE ONE THING WITHOUT DALLAS GETTING A PIECE OR A TASTE OF IT TOO!

Mods, please don't take this post as a flame but i will express my opinions and feelings on this matter. Dallas gets everything. Like Dallasboi sarcastically mentioned, Dallas will def have 1up on Houston and will continue to in the future. It already has an amusement park and Houston doesn't! What's more? It's mass transit options murder ours, It's economy is stronger because its teamed up with Fort Worth's. Even though it might relatively match Houston's now, it will definitely surpass Houston's once this port is built.

I apologize in advance if my rant offends anyone but i'm just being brutally honest. I see what's happening. Dallas is taking over the whole state and will be the leader in Texas sooner than later!

:blink:

Don't worry, tierwestah. We've still got our bay. Maybe we can refocus and become a sleepy little fishing village, or a quaint little seaside port like Charleston or Savannah....or even Corpus Christi. It's not that important to be the biggest and best at everything. We'll make it.

:lol:

And in classic Dallas style, the Port of Dallas ain't even in "Dallas".

I don't know what the local forum obsession with this is. You will not find people elsewhere obsessing about "Space Center Houston" not being in Houston. It's silly on so many levels.

Perhaps you should obsess about the how the Las Vegas Strip isn't in the city of Las Vegas next?

Jason

Edit: By the way if anyone has any theories on what that obsession is I would be very interested to hear them. I have a friend in Atlanta that is into urban renewal and such and actually noticed this too about this board. He's just a lurker and contemplated joining to ask that question but thought he'd be viewed as a troll. I have some theories but I am interested in what anyone here thinkgs. Redscare, you have any theories?

Nobody is obsessed. But you and I both know that Dallas uses the D/FW argument to include and exclude things to make it all sound so good.

Space Center Houston is located at 1601 NASA Road 1, Houston, TX 77058, approximately 25 miles south of downtown Houston in the NASA/Clear Lake area.

http://www.spacecenter.org/hours.html

The freight facility would be the Port of Houston's first inland port -- essentially an extension of the port lying farther inland. At such a facility, ocean containers loaded with freight can be picked up, dropped off, documented and received, just as if they were arriving or departing the ocean port in Houston. The freight would move to and from Houston by rail.

From http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/.../09/story6.html

Southern Dallas County could never begin to have this facility without the POH. So what's the big deal, Dallas? We built the port-without which this discussion would'nt be happening- so we have no problem giving you a a little piece of the action.

Remember: Don't bite the hand...you get the drift.

B)

Mostly, because it annoys the hell out of Dallas posters.

Which begs the question...is it not painfully obvious?

LMAO. The disdain that Houstonians have for any and all things Dallas is so comical (and quiite pathetic to most who lurk). I think that's what draws me to this board so frequently. The comic relief born out of the ever-present chip on most Houstonian's shoulders, including yours. :D

Umm...that's because it is. :blink:

Sorry, clearly I need a new GPS because it told me it was in a suburb, but I can't recall which one. I googled it and there are others that share my confusion so there must be another source for the wrong address out there.

Jason

From http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/.../09/story6.html

Southern Dallas County could never begin to have this facility without the POH. So what's the big deal, Dallas? We built the port-without which this discussion would'nt be happening- so we have no problem giving you a a little piece of the action.

Remember: Don't bite the hand...you get the drift.

B)

Well, this was actually already in the works without the Houston port due to increasing far east activity coming through LA, but I think your point is this couldn't have taken off nearly as fast, and probably couldn't have been as big as its going to be without the Port of Houston. Point taken. However, where does the rest of your post come from???

"Don't bite the hand..."

Who's biting any hands? Have you heard anything from Dallas leaders (and by Dallas I mean Dallas Fort Worth ) that has been anything but appreciative of the whole thing.

"So what's the big deal, Dallas?"

Can you elaborate on exactly what you meant by this comment? I can try to suppose what you're getting at, but I'd rather not put words in your mouth.

Jason

But you and I both know that Dallas uses the D/FW argument to include and exclude things to make it all sound so good.

Can you elaborate on samples of Dallas excluding things from the metro area to make it sound so good? People are lazy, they often don't say "Dallas Fort Worth Metropolitan Statistical Area" when they say Dallas. In fact saying that is lazy because that's not even the full name of the MSA. When my friend Dave came up this weekend from the suburbs of Houston, I introduced him as "Dave from Houston" when in fact he lives in the metro area. What I don't understand is, why the obsession with the terminology in passing references to things?

Jason

LMAO. The disdain that Houstonians have for any and all things Dallas is so comical (and quiite pathetic to most who lurk). I think that's what draws me to this board so frequently. The comic relief born out of the ever-present chip on most Houstonian's shoulders, including yours. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Our disdain is funny, isn't it? But seriously, you've got it all wrong. My disdain is not for Dallas as much as the people who live there.

:lol::lol::lol:

"Don't bite the hand..."

Who's biting any hands? Have you heard anything from Dallas leaders (and by Dallas I mean Dallas Fort Worth ) that has been anything but appreciative of the whole thing.

"So what's the big deal, Dallas?"

Can you elaborate on exactly what you meant by this comment? I can try to suppose what you're getting at, but I'd rather not put words in your mouth.

Jason

Can you elaborate on samples of Dallas excluding things from the metro area to make it sound so good? People are lazy, they often don't say "Dallas Fort Worth Metropolitan Statistical Area" when they say Dallas. In fact saying that is lazy because that's not even the full name of the MSA. When my friend Dave came up this weekend from the suburbs of Houston, I introduced him as "Dave from Houston" when in fact he lives in the metro area. What I don't understand is, why the obsession with the terminology in passing references to things?

Jason

My comments were aimed at some of the posters in this thread.

I've not heard a word from any DFW "leaders"...don't need to.

I'm not sure if SpaceCenter Houston is actually IN Houston or Webster...it makes no difference. What did the guy say from the surface of the moon..."Webster, Tranquility base here..."?...something like that... ;)

B)

My disdain is not for Dallas as much as the people who live there.

Just so I have this straight, you're talking about everyone within the city limits of Dallas right, so the other 4.8million are OK? Or does it go by county, perhaps everyone in Tarrent and Denton Counties are cool but Dallas and Collin are not? Perhaps by zip code or area code? What happens if that person moves, say from Houston to Dallas, does he/she retain the their OK status or do they automatically obtain your disdain? Perhaps the disdain is phased in over time, as if the evil Dallas virus is slowly taking over their body? For that matter, does it spread? Will people in contact with Dallasites contact this and if so, could it be spreading slowly down I45? Does the Dallas Morning News get exemption status from your disdain for naming Houston the Texan of the year, or is the disdain too strong to overcome?

Thanks in advance,

Dallas Yankee

Im glad it doesnt need water to be a port, otherwise, think of the mess!!!

Ubernews.com wrote:

texas will build a five mile wide canal straight to dallas so super container ships can drop off their cargo at the commie economic takeover units aka walmarts. Rick Perry will name it the Trans Texas Waterway. In the building of it, some towns will need to be moved, such as madisonville and the woodlands. the pricetag for such a project will be 900 kajillion dollars

Im glad it doesnt need water to be a port, otherwise, think of the mess!!!

Ubernews.com wrote:

texas will build a five mile wide canal straight to dallas so super container ships can drop off their cargo at the commie economic takeover units aka walmarts. Rick Perry will name it the Trans Texas Waterway. In the building of it, some towns will need to be moved, such as madisonville and the woodlands. the pricetag for such a project will be 900 kajillion dollars

That's a shame because I have always liked Madisonville... :lol:

B)

FatalAttraction.jpg

"I will not...be...ignored!"

Seriously, why so interested in Houstonians' opinions? All this talk about lurking and obsession is a little creepy.

Dallas has a nice website. Use it.

ROFLMAO

This has to be the funniest thread ever on this board.

Jason, 713, and Banking, try not to take yourselves (and Dallas) so seriously. You'd have to go to the Tulsa board to find people as who are as defensive about their little burg as you guys.

And the fact that the local media illustrated the story of "The Port of Dalls receiving its first shipment" with photos of an ocean liner unloading was too precious for words.

Oh, and, by the way, Johnson Space Center is indeed in the City of Houston.

Jason, 713, and Banking, try not to take yourselves (and Dallas) so seriously. You'd have to go to the Tulsa board to find people as who are as defensive about their little burg as you guys.

Could you point out lines specifically where I was defensive about Dallas? Very curious.

Jason

Dallas does have a huge intermodal cargo facility located just off 45 on the far Southside of Dallas. It's huge. Containers and trucks as far as the eye can see.

With that said, the majority of that will go through the Port of Houston.

I've got a question...with all of the $$$ the Port of Houston makes, why the hell do we (Greater Houston) have to pay taxes to support the Port Authority? It's not like its hurting for money.

incidentally, Tulsa has a real port with boats and water and everything. Its connected by some smaller river to the missippi and handles barges.

I don't know what the local forum obsession with this is. You will not find people elsewhere obsessing about "Space Center Houston" not being in Houston. It's silly on so many levels.

Space Center Houston is the tourist center. The real McCoy is called THE JOHNSON SPACE CENTER, otherwise known as NASA. And as a matter of fact it is INSIDE the city limits of Houston. Trust me on this one.

Next.

Archived