Port of Dallas Developments

Well, I find Dallas interesting!!!

:)

J/K

But, just to reiterrate the real point of this thread, which inexplicably became one, long taunting piece of hilarity, the idea of a massive container and storage facility in Dallas that would work in conjunction with large ports such as Port Houston, Port of Louisiana and so forth, is a wonderful idea that would be a boon to Dallas, Houston, New Orleans and any other facility associated with it. However, the idea of calling it the Port of Dallas, is a bit of a stretch and kind of funny.

Trust me, these jokers would be the first to pick at something in Houston that stretched reality, such as if someone tried to brand the San Jacinto Battlefield Monument as "Texas' Ellis Island".

Kind of silly.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We're talking about a complex of railroad yards, freeways and warehouses, located in an undeveloped area 240 miles away. How can you possibly expect Houstonians to get wound up over that?

The complex is going to have a huge positive impact on the Metroplex economy, but my intuition says the impact will be even better for the economy in Houston.

From a lifestyle pov, the potential growth of cargo movement between the Ship Channel and Dallas rail and highway infrastructure increases the likelihood of passenger rail service between Fort Worth, Dallas, Houston and Galveston.

The unified economic profile of this venture exponentially increases the world economic influence of Texas.

I expect Houstonians would get wound up about these kinds of things, but it seems the potential of this venture hasnt sunk in yet, or maybe no one here wants to talk about it beyond how funny "The Port of Dallas" sounds. Sure, I'm kinda frustrated (snide definition: "whiney") that this discussion isnt getting any traction on this forum, but the frustration is my own mistaken; the discussion can be anticipated, but not prompted.

the discussion can be anticipated, but not prompted.

Considering numerous discussions on this forum revolve around whether something "looks urban", did you really expect a lively discussion about the nuances of the transport and delivery of goods from points worldwide through the soon-to-be elongated Port of Houston, to domestic endpoints?

I sometimes share your frustration on what topics will develop, and whether they will be intelligent discussions or Cable News style shouting matches. But, I live with it. You should, too. But, recognize that it is not always a "Dallas thing". Sometimes, the topic is a dud. In this case, it wasn't even about Dallas OR transit...it was about the stupid names that Chamber of Commerce types come up with to flaunt their ideas.

Such is life. :huh:

I hate to say it, Tam, but Red's right. There's a lack of perspective on many subjects on most message boards, unfortunately, and people more use them to vent than to actually have an intelligent discussion on most anything.

Yet, I agree with your view that this is potential a great asset to the state's economy. A port is just like any business in that if you don't make room to serve customers swiftly and efficiently, they'll look elsewhere. If the Port of Houston is doing so well that storage space is becoming scarce, then having an alternative point of containment would offer it a chance to expand its customer base. Meanwhile, having said point of containment in Dallas would allow shipping and transportation facilities in Dallas to expand, creating jobs and income for that region.

Houston Branch of the Dallas Federal Reserve Bank

Dallas Branch of the Port of Houston Authority

:)

The unified economic profile of this venture exponentially increases the world economic influence of Texas.

My whole point of starting this thread was to poke fun at some really silly things, not go off on some tangent of mutual love and understanding. If you dont mind, lets get back to the pointless bickering and displays of childish behavior.

*deleted graphic reference*

"...In April, the Port of Houston Authority, the U.S. Maritime Administration and the city of Dallas signed an agreement establishing Dallas as an inland port for Houston.
Darn.... I was ready to post a rant against the CIty of Dallas when I noticed the reminder: :(
Respectful discussions only. My-city-is-better-than-your-city flame wars are not permitted on HAIF. "He started it" is not a valid excuse. Both parties in a flame war may have their accounts suspended or terminated. Just walk away. Flames will be deleted without notice. Please report violations to a member of the moderating team, or to the Editor.

tamtagon, please. We're talking about a complex of railroad yards, freeways and warehouses, located in an undeveloped area 240 miles away. How can you possibly expect Houstonians to get wound up over that? If I was a transportation engineer, or if I lived nearby, or had some other connection to this, it might pique our interest. But, other than the effect it might have on the Port of Houston, this is not interesting.

I realize it may be huge to Dallas. But, just as Dallasites do not know where the Spring Rail Yard is, and don't care, this is not sexy to Houstonians. The Cowboys' new stadium is interesting. Downtown revitalization is interesting. DART Rail is interesting. Rail yards are not interesting, no matter how many trains come in.

As to what Houston 19514 said, if no one from Houston is posting on Dallas boards, that suggests a lack of interest in Dallas matters by Houstonians. If some Dallasites post on a Houston board, that suggests an interest in Houston matters BY THOSE POSTERS. To read anything more than that into it is stretching.

If I could think of anything more to say about the agile port, I would. I can't so I won't. What more do you want?

EDIT: By the way, the Port of Houston is very interesting. All of those parking lots with containers stacked 10 high around it....extremely boring.

are there any renderings of the Cowboys Stadium?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, someone decided to call the Port of Houston's expansion the Port of Dallas. Everyone needs to get over it, accept this new railyard is an extension of the POH and let everyone reap the rewards. It's a win-win for both cities. Who ever the "maroon" was that suggested calling this "The Port of Dallas" needs to have their head examined because EVERYONE knows there is no such place. :wacko:

B)

BTW, are the Cowboys still going to be the Irving Cowboys or the Arlington Cowboys? Why can't they build a stadium in Dallas? Won't the city pay for it?

Dallas can now be considered a port city.

Port Cities:

New York

Dallas

San Francisco

Los Angeles

Miami

New Orleans

Galveston

Houston

Also, this just in: Dallas has declared Lubbock a burrough of Dallas. And south Dallas now begins in Centerville. Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

>:)

It's official: The thread entitled "The Port of Dallas" is the funniest thread on HAIF. Last night, at the HAIF mixer in the Heights, the thread was nominated as the funniest thread ever. Well, one guy mentioned it in passing, and so the rulling stands (in my mind at least). The awards ceremony included hats and tshirts, with almost 20 in attendance. I would like to thank all of our fellow Houstonians who contributed to this thread over the past several months. And I would like to extend a "warm special thanks" to all the Dallasites who went out of thier way to come here, and offer thier inputs: I could'nt have done it without them.:wub:

To all the Dallasites out there, this thread's for you.

:D:

>:)

It's official: The thread entitled "The Port of Dallas" is the funniest thread on HAIF. Last night, at the HAIF mixer in the Heights, the thread was nominated as the funniest thread ever. Well, one guy mentioned it in passing, and so the rulling stands (in my mind at least). The awards ceremony included hats and tshirts, with almost 20 in attendance. I would like to thank all of our fellow Houstonians who contributed to this thread over the past several months. And I would like to extend a "warm special thanks" to all the Dallasites who went out of thier way to come here, and offer thier inputs: I could'nt have done it without them.:wub:

To all the Dallasites out there, this thread's for you.

:D:

Thanx 2112, I had so much fun reading this thread. It was nice meetin ya at the mixer.

One of my old time favorite quotes ......."Any Port in a Storm" :blush:

I really think everyone is too caught up in the term "port".

Granted, what is planned in Dallas is not a seaport (and obviously never could be!). But the plans do call for the center to be an inland port of entry for goods coming in from a number of different seaports; including Houston and several on the Pacific Coast in the US and Mexico, as well as shipments over land from other Mexican locales.

The way I understand it (which very well could be mistaken), goods will arrive at the various seaports and immediately be shipped to the Dallas center to be checked in, consolidated, and redistributed to the rest of the country. The idea is to relieve much of the congestion at current ports by shifting the check in and redistribution further inland. If this is accurate, the security issues do really concern me, but the logistics make sense.

The reality is that this will by no means be a traditional "port". But, in a sense, it will be a true port of entry for goods to this country.

The reality is that this will by no means be a traditional "port". But, in a sense, it will be a true port of entry for goods to this country.

In a nut shell, that it! "They" call it an Agile port.

I'm hoping the Agile Port in Dallas along with the Sea Port in Houston will become the primary routing destination of exports from the North American Midwest and Great Plains. Much of the inventory floated down the Mississippi to embark through New Orleans could very easily end up on a train to Dallas then onto a ship in Houston.

In a nut shell, that it! "They" call it an Agile port.

I'm hoping the Agile Port in Dallas along with the Sea Port in Houston will become the primary routing destination of exports from the North American Midwest and Great Plains. Much of the inventory floated down the Mississippi to embark through New Orleans could very easily end up on a train to Dallas then onto a ship in Houston.

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizspace/dallas...tory_id=1099870

Again, this is an extension of the POH into southern Dallas county. Hopefully Cedar Hill, Lancaster, DeSoto, Hutchins, Wilmer, Dallas and Houston benefits. I'm sure they all will.

B)

• 3 weeks later...
Ultimately, the point is that these comparisons are not very meaningful given the differences in geographic size. What really matters is the urbanized area - with which Houston and Dallas are very similar.

Exactly...

Just take a look at any satellite space images of Texas at night & you can clearly see the areas of Houston & D/FW are almost equally lit up with lights.

texas-at-night.jpg

1. I thought Space Center Houston was at the Johnson Space Center, located in Clear Lake (City), which was annexed by the City of Houston years ago.

2. There have been on-again, off-again discussions of dredging the Trinity River, in a similar but more extensive way that Buffalo Bayou was, to make it passable to ships and thus allow Dallas to create its own inland port. Any thoughts on this?

3. I am happy to hear about this. It is always good to witness the two Texas Giants (Houston and Dallas) working together to help each other's economies.

^

1. That's my understanding, as well.

2. I heard about those drdging discussions, as well. However, I am unaware of when the most recent discussions took place. I would like to see an economic and environmental impact study performed on the idea before I would form an opinion, one way, or the other.

3. I agree.

Amazingly, despite budget concerns and claims that it would be an ecological disaster, the Trinity Canal had legs all the way up to 1973, when a bond election was defeated in Dallas-Fort Worth by a 2-1 margin. Nothing has been said since.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online...es/TT/ett1.html

That was right about the time when they built the world's largest airport, so I guess the funds for a sea port connection would never be found after that. Even today the way a few fight to even repeal the wright amendment I can't see anything ever being done to "weaken DFW airport." That'd be the argument anyway.

Jason

1. I thought Space Center Houston was at the Johnson Space Center, located in Clear Lake (City), which was annexed by the City of Houston years ago.

2. There have been on-again, off-again discussions of dredging the Trinity River, in a similar but more extensive way that Buffalo Bayou was, to make it passable to ships and thus allow Dallas to create its own inland port. Any thoughts on this?

3. I am happy to hear about this. It is always good to witness the two Texas Giants (Houston and Dallas) working together to help each other's economies.

1. Space Center Houston (SCH) is a private venture (not a government entity like JSC) that provides space related activities and tourist attractions, including tours of the Johnson Space Center (JSC). SCH is "adjacent to" (not "at") the Johnson Space Center. SCH is technically in Webster, which is adjacent to the far southeast city limits of Houston. JSC, on the other hand, is inside the Houston city limits, but just barely: when you leave JSC at the main gates, and turn on to Saturn Blvd., Houston city limits end about half a block away right before NASA Rd. 1, at which point Webster City limits begin. Clear Lake City was an unincorporated area in Harris county, until about 25 years ago, when it was annexed by the city of Houston. So it has been "Houston" for a long time now.

Archived