Wow, is all i can say! It is a MAJOR pain in the butt to get to it during the weekends! Not just traffic/construction but the lot fills up and they close it. In the past 4 years i have been turned away atleast 6 times. I know they say take the rail but everytime i do the lot is managable and open!

• Like 1

Wow, is all i can say! It is a MAJOR pain in the butt to get to it during the weekends!
it's been this way for a while......that's one reason they moved the golf course parking over to almeda because the zoo patrons were parking in that lot.

it's been this way for a while......that's one reason they moved the golf course parking over to almeda because the zoo patrons were parking in that lot.

I found a solution...Since i'm off fridays...I bought a membership and visit fridays :) Only hot soccer moms and very few dads with there kids.

• Like 1

You ought to try and park at the Ben Taub Garage across the street on Taub Loop, but some people have the same idea.

It's easier to find parking off of Holman/Travis or Holman/San Jacinto's side streets and then use the HCC/Ensemble rail station.

I attend HCC and work at the Taub...it's not too bad.

• Like 1

The mini train in Hermann Park now picks people up near the Hermann park Metro Rail station and drops them off at the Zoo. Parking in the medical center or on the street somewhere for free and taking the Metro Rail in might work.

• Like 1

The mini train in Hermann Park now picks people up near the Hermann park Metro Rail station and drops them off at the Zoo. Parking in the medical center or on the street somewhere for free and taking the Metro Rail in might work.

Seriously?

YOU ARE IN A BEAUTIFUL PARK. WALK!!!

I know, I know, the kiddies want to ride the train and mom and dad don't have to carry their traveling circus junk. I am just always amazed at how people in this city avoid walking at every turn.

• Like 1

Haha yeah well that's what I would do, especially with the awesome weather we've been having (Sunday was amazing) but I've learned to assume that not everybody in Houston is into walking as much as I am, and at least there's another option.

But I agree, walking from the Metro Rail stop is the best way to get there.

• Like 1

Wow, we now have another rail line with a connecting station!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Wow, is all i can say! It is a MAJOR pain in the butt to get to it during the weekends! Not just traffic/construction but the lot fills up and they close it. In the past 4 years i have been turned away atleast 6 times. I know they say take the rail but everytime i do the lot is managable and open!

Here's something that bugged me. My family came to visit in the spring and they stayed Downtown on Main Street. We took the train to the zoo one weekday (mainly for my 2 year old niece) and got off at the "Houston Zoo" station and had to walk all the way around to the other side of the zoo to enter b/c the entrance closest to the train station is not open on weekdays. <_< When we left we walked through Hermann Park and caught the train on the Hermann Park / Rice U station to get back to Downtown... shorter walk.

• Like 1

Most people aren't going to know that... if they take the light rail they are going to go to the "Houston Zoo" station since it says... "Houston Zoo"! <_< They need to add "Houston Zoo weekday / alternative" to the name of the Hermann Park light rail station. :P

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's a bit old, but i couldn't find it in the forum so i thought better late than never.

It was from the May 2009 Issue of Parents Magazine.

Below a press release from the Houston Zoo.

Families across the United States today are finding out what Houston families have known for decades – the Houston Zoo is one of the 10 best zoos in the nation for kids. In fact, Parents magazine today has ranked the Houston Zoo number nine in the nation for children.

“We are thrilled to be recognized by a publication of Parents stature as one of the ten best zoos in the nation for children,” said Houston Zoo President Deborah Cannon. “The Houston Zoo has been a treasured community resource for more than 86 years. It’s quite an honor to see the hard work of our dedicated staff recognized in this manner,” added Cannon.

In addition to the Top 10 Best Zoos for Kids featured in the magazine, fifteen runners-up are posted on www.parents.com/topzoos.

The San Antonio Zoo also made it (ahead of Houston). I only looked at the top 10, though, so i dont know about others like Dallas,Ft. Worth,etc.

Edited by citizen4rmptown

I don't find this surprising, I recently visited the zoo, and was impressed. I've grown up going to it, and can't recall any other time when it looked so well-maintained. The landscaping was impressive. But it is a zoo, and I always get a little sad, seeing animals in cages. I'm looking forward to the new safari exhibit opening. Hated to see the little old trains disappear, many childhood memories associated with those, but was impressed with the newly designed station. That doesn't happen very often with me.

• Like 1

It's a bit old, but i couldn't find it in the forum so i thought better late than never.

It was from the May 2009 Issue of Parents Magazine.

Below a press release from the Houston Zoo.

In addition to the Top 10 Best Zoos for Kids featured in the magazine, fifteen runners-up are posted on www.parents.com/topzoos.

The San Antonio Zoo also made it (ahead of Houston). I only looked at the top 10, though, so i dont know about others like Dallas,Ft. Worth,etc.

One more click might've done it.

I'm surprised that the San Antonio zoo made the list! The last time I was there, in late 2006, it wasn't too impressive. It wasn't bad though; some of the enclosures just seemed kinda small.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that the San Antonio zoo made the list! The last time I was there, in late 2006, it wasn't too impressive. It wasn't bad though; some of the enclosures just seemed kinda small.

We have to keep in mind that it's the Top10 for Kids, so kids might like it better than adults.

Also, that zoo has had new exhibits open since 2006.

Saw this on the Visit Houston Facebook page: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/moms/6551657.html

Moving away from the concept of bars and cages, the Houston Zoo in September will break ground for a $50 million African Forest, a 6.5-acre exhibit designed to give patrons the illusion they are strolling through an open landscape populated with chimpanzees, giraffes and other equatorial animals, zoo officials said Tuesday.

If it ends up being anything like the African exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo, then it will be awesome. The plan sounds very similar.

• Like 1

Saw this on the Visit Houston Facebook page: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/moms/6551657.html

If it ends up being anything like the African exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo, then it will be awesome. The plan sounds very similar.

I might have not been to the see in forever to not know that the chimpanzees were gone.

• Like 1

I might have not been to the see in forever to not know that the chimpanzees were gone.

Awesome! blush.gif The diversity of furry, funny critters were good last time but I thought something was missing. laugh.gif

• Like 1

Its good that were getting specialized exhibits, i look at other zoos and they have these big corporate-sponsored exhibits.

We deserve something along those lines, don't we?

Also according to the Chron...

The project — a first for the Hermann Park facility — will feature closed-circuit TV connections with area hospitals, allowing patients to view animal keeper presentations or simply to watch animals in their near-natural habitats.

Cannon said the programs first will be made available to children's hospitals, then expanded. Ultimately, they may be made available to local schools, she said.

Edited by citizen4rmptown