You don't have to be faster than the tiger, just faster than the guy next to you.

Maybe, but I found it interesting in the SF Zoo mauling that the Tiger reportedly passed up other visitors to chase the two original perps.

• Like 1

Maybe, but I found it interesting in the SF Zoo mauling that the Tiger reportedly passed up other visitors to chase the two original perps. (Twerps)

I knew there was more to the story when it 1st broke. Last I heard & read was the guys that jacked with these animals were loaded on booze and whatever, they were pretty much asking for it.

Perhaps they tried to catch the tiger by the tail?

They're grrrrrrreat!!!!! :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the zoo briefly on Sunday morning (the membership is good for quick visits when you're in the area and have some time to kill).

One thing I believe our zoo needs is more parking. The zoo lot was completely full by 11 am on Sunday (and parking along Golf Course Drive was full as well), but once you got inside, the zoo didn't feel crowded at all (no line to get in, no line at concessions, no crowds at popular exhibits). The zoo holds a lot more folks than the parking lot can handle.

On a day where we'd have more time, I'd contemplate parking elsewhere and taking the train. Is there a good free place to park along the Red Line on weekends?

EDIT: because I can't spell

Edited by CDeb
  • Like 1

One thing I believe our zoo needs is more parking. The zoo lot was completely full by 11 am on Sunday

On a day where we'd have more time, I'd contemplate parking elsewhere and taking the train. Is there a good free place to park along the Red Line on weekends?

Sunday afternoon i skated along macgregor by the rear entrance, it seems people are parking in the med center garage and walking across the street to enter the zoo at the rear entrance. the number of people doing this surprised me because there was such a steady stream.

Edited by musicman

Went to the zoo briefly on Sunday morning (the membership is good for quick visits when you're in the area and have some time to kill).

One thing I believe our zoo needs is more parking. The zoo lot was completely full by 11 am on Sunday (and parking along Golf Course Drive was full as well), but once you got inside, the zoo didn't feel crowded at all (no line to get in, no line at concessions, no crowds at popular exhibits). The zoo holds a lot more folks than the parking lot can handle.

There was some sort of festival going on on Saturday (maybe Sunday, too) that put extra cars in the zoo lot. Hermann Park needs more parking.

I have memberships at the Museum of Natural Science, Health Museum and Children's Museum, so I get a discount on nearby parking. A big underground lot would be a good idea, especially if it was next to a stop on the new park train.

There was some sort of festival going on on Saturday (maybe Sunday, too) that put extra cars in the zoo lot. Hermann Park needs more parking.

I have memberships at the Museum of Natural Science, Health Museum and Children's Museum, so I get a discount on nearby parking. A big underground lot would be a good idea, especially if it was next to a stop on the new park train.

I agree. On a reasonably nice day, you have to arrive pretty early to park. And those traffic cops do not help things at all, IMHO they make it worse.

• Like 1

EDIT: because I can't spell

The Fannin South lot is only $2.50 on week days. I'm not sure about weekends.

• Like 1

<zips mouth and waits for someone else to say it>

Okay, okay... I'll bite...

We live pretty close. We COULD ride bikes. In fact I keep meaning to get our bikes outfitted with baby seats for that very purpose. I gotta say though, after the bike ride, and dragging the kids through the zoo, and riding home, especially if it's hot, I'm going to have to call you to take care of the kids all afternoon while I take a nap.

We COULD also ride the train. But we'd actually have to drive further to get to the Fannin South lot than we drive to get to the zoo. Add in the cost of parking, and the train tickets, and the time, and it gets kind of stupid.

Add a couple of toddlers to any equation and driving often makes more sense. But don't get me wrong, I heart the train and we do use it whenever feasible.

• Like 1

Are there any insiders here who have some information on this African Forest project that they can share? I had seen mentions of it but hadn't given it a lot of thought. Then I went to the zoo this weekend, saw the site on the map and was impressed with the size of it. On the map it says that it's opening in 2009. On Wikipedia it's fall of '08.

What exactly is the African Forest, since it covers such a large area? I'm really curious about it now.

Does anyone know why the fountain at Sarofim Court is still not finished? Or is it? It didn't have water in it, same as over two years ago. That's the last time I was there before this recent visit.

I love our zoo. I don't visit other zoos, so I can't compare. Almost went to the San Deigo Zoo once, but ended up not going. But this is the zoo I grew up visiting. And I just love the whole area surrounding the zoo. It's one of my favorite parts of Houston. It's beautiful.

• Like 1

The Fort Worth Zoo is geneally recognized as the best in Texas (as well as many nearby states),

It's quality really diminishes zoos in neighboring cities (especially Dallas but also Houston, San Antonio, Oklahoma, etc.)

It makes me question the need to captivate wild animals, if not in a top quality setting.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Despite record crowds, officials with the Houston Zoo are looking for ways to attract more low-income families.

Starting Aug. 1, families that use the Lone Star card to receive food stamps and other benefits will have unlimited free admission for themselves and up to eight others.

"We're always trying to expand access," said Deborah Cannon, president and CEO of the Houston Zoo, which set an attendance record with 1.6 million visitors in 2007.

On July 1, ticket prices increased by 25 cents for senior citizens and by $1 for children over 2. Adult admission remains at $10.

full article

my favorite :wacko: quote from the article:

To make matters worse, animals were getting sick after the summer free days because too many people were throwing cotton candy and other items into their pens, zoo officials said.

Well, the zoo officials might consider putting up lots of big, simply worded "don't feed the animals - here's why" signs in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, etc, throughout the zoo.

• Like 1

ive always liked the houston zoo

when it was hot and steamy i didnt complain

when it was moist and raining i didnt complain

eh, maybe i just like animals enough not to care about the weather

back to topic:

im not sure about the columbus day freebie

i doubt most people even know when is it..

• Like 1

Well, the zoo officials might consider putting up lots of big, simply worded "don't feed the animals - here's why" signs in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, etc, throughout the zoo.

Maybe those who have so much food that they can afford to throw it at animals should have their Lone Star cards revoked.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe those who have so much food that they can afford to throw it at animals should have their Lone Star cards revoked.

Hey dbig, try to keep up -- the free admission to Lone Star Card-holders is a NEW program starting up in August. The "summer free days" with the food-throwing issue were days when the park was free to EVERYONE.

According to the article, zip code info combined with census data allowed them to estimate that "less than 9 percent of free-day visitors were from low-income areas".

At least try to get your facts straight before deriding the poor.

• Like 1

Hey dbig, try to keep up -- the free admission to Lone Star Card-holders is a NEW program starting up in August. The "summer free days" with the food-throwing issue were days when the park was free to EVERYONE.

According to the article, zip code info combined with census data allowed them to estimate that "less than 9 percent of free-day visitors were from low-income areas".

At least try to get your facts straight before deriding the poor.

:lol:

You'll have to forgive bigtex, Joke. He's normally one of our more compassionate posters, so he is somewhat inexperienced in the art of blaming the poor, as evidenced by your major league smackdown of his post.

Hang in there, Tex! Maybe some of our "libertarian" posters will help guide you through the minefield of effective welfare trash talk. ;)

Yeah, after I finished my post I re-read his and noticed his sig. His sig quote seems to be quite inconsistent with (my reading of) his post.

It made me wonder if I'd completely misread his intent, but at that point I'd already replied.

[in fact, I'm now hoping dbig will come back and clarify that I somehow misunderstood; I'd happily edit my comment if that's the case. Yes, I'm a card-carrying starry-eyed optimist.

I'm also glad I decided against including a line about how a different vowel would seem much more appropriate in "dbig".]

• 7 months later...

Today me and my girlfriend went to the Houston zoo for the first time. It was a nicely kept zoo but there seemed to be alot missing from other zoo experiences i had in other cities. The animals seemed to be very miniscule and small. What do they feed these animals? slimfast? Colorado Springs, my hometown has larger animals than Houston in their zoo? Houston needs to step up a litttle

Today me and my girlfriend went to the Houston zoo for the first time. It was a nicely kept zoo but there seemed to be alot missing from other zoo experiences i had in other cities. The animals seemed to be very miniscule and small. What do they feed these animals? slimfast? Colorado Springs, my hometown has larger animals than Houston in their zoo? Houston needs to step up a litttle

The animals are not allowed access to the plethora of local fast food joints. :(

Which ones do you believe to be "too small"?

Why is size so important to you?