It isn't that the Houston zoo is bad, rather that a city the size of Houston, should do something nice for it's people. Give the residents some place to go and enjoy without costing them money. The Parks are great but families deserve a little more.

It isn't that the Houston zoo is bad, rather that a city the size of Houston, should do something nice for it's people. Give the residents some place to go and enjoy without costing them money. The Parks are great but families deserve a little more.

you should send your suggestion to mayor@cityofhouston.net

If the zoo was still free then most likely the animals would still be in those jail cell looking cages lke they were in the 60's and 70's. There have been millions and millions of dollars spent at the zoo to improve the enviornment and exhibition of the animals. It's another of those "you get what you pay for" situations. And if the City was paying millions and millions to renovate the zoo, then that money would not have been available for other city projects....that are needed. It does not bug me one bit to pay admission for the zoo. The animals do deserve top notch care and a top notch environment to live in.

If the zoo took over the golf course and expanded...then admission would be $40 per day like San Diego.

This fare increase is not fair. Houston's zoo is not very large and should be free. I was raised in St. Louis where there is a wonderful zoo, it was free and still is. If St. Louis can offer a free zoo, then Houston can. I think the families of Houston deserve this and this would make an excellent campaign issue.
EDIT: Oh, and moni forgot to mention that, while the St. Louis Zoo is free, parking there is $9!

I think that pretty much sums up the actual "free" status of the St. Louis Zoo as compared to Houston's Zoo. I went Friday and was very impressed with what I saw & for what I paid. What no one has mentioned (unless the article did, which I didn't read) is that nearly a quarter of the park was closed for redevelopment. The southern most portion of the Zoo, just north of Memorial Herman Hospital is closed off for some new exhibits. This along with a very interactive Children's Zoo & other various up to date exhibits could most likely not be afforded without these pay increases.

If anything though, they do need to improve the train. It's second rate at best.

Oh, and For the record, we DO NOT need more zoos. We need to improve the quality & animal living conditions of the ones we ALREADY have.

Edited by Jeebus

I think that pretty much sums up the actual "free" status of the St. Louis Zoo as compared to Houston's Zoo. I went Friday and was very impressed with what I saw & for what I paid. What no one has mentioned (unless the article did, which I didn't read) is that nearly a quarter of the park was closed for redevelopment. The southern most portion of the Zoo, just north of Memorial Herman Hospital is closed off for some new exhibits. This along with a very interactive Children's Zoo & other various up to date exhibits could most likely not be afforded without these pay increases.

If anything though, they do need to improve the train. It's second rate at best.

Oh, and For the record, we DO NOT need more zoos. We need to improve the quality & animal living conditions of the ones we ALREADY have.

Actually, the train is getting a bit of a makeover. It's going to get 3 new stations and they're making the track longer. I'm not sure on the routing of it, but it should be interesting to say the least.

Link

i think its age provides a touch of old school Houston. as ricco said it is about to get a makeover so that some of the stops will actually serve the purpose of moving people through Hermann Park vs just being plain entertainment. anything too modern IMO will lessen its current charm.

This fare increase is not fair. Houston's zoo is not very large and should be free. I was raised in St. Louis where there is a wonderful zoo, it was free and still is. If St. Louis can offer a free zoo, then Houston can. I think the families of Houston deserve this and this would make an excellent campaign issue.

At least they offer certain holidays for free admission.

I have no problem with the increase. I grew up going to the Houston Zoo (and the Museum of Natural Science when it was free and called the Museum of Natural History) and remember how average, if not below average, those facilities were back then. My boyfriend and I had a date to the Zoo a few months back, and despite the admission fees, it was packed with visitors from all income levels. The difference between what our zoo is now, compared to what it was just 15 years ago, is amazing. Very little of it looks like the dumpy place it was when I was a kid, with sad, depressed looking animals sitting in small cages. I can't wait to go back after they've finished the current African forest project that's under construction.

Yes St. Louis has a great zoo, and it's free. But that's the exception, not the norm. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. I'd rather pay to get in and get to enjoy a great experience, than go to something that's free but third rate. The same thing applies to the Museum of Natural Science, which has grown from a below average, but free, museum, to one of the very best of its type in the nation over the last 20 years, thanks in large part to the admission fees. Both of these facilities offer numerous discount options, as well as free days several times a year.

At least they offer certain holidays for free admission.

Have fun trying to go on those days my friend. You would have an easier time getting into an Irish Pub that was giving away "free whiskey" on St. patty's Day in downtown Boston !

Edited by TJones

• 8 months later...

Has anyone else ever wondered why Houston has a very sub-par zoo despite being in the 4th largest city and admission fees that have climbed steeply in the past decade? I didn't realize how crappy our zoo is until I visited the Brownsville zoo a year ago... smaller city, smaller budget, lower admission fees with beautiful wide-open animal exhibits that mimic natural environments. They also had a much more interesting selection of animals, I especially liked their troop of gorillas (we haven't had a gorilla in 10 years or something).

Nice pictures though westguy.

• Like 1

Has anyone else ever wondered why Houston has a very sub-par zoo despite being in the 4th largest city and admission fees that have climbed steeply in the past decade? I didn't realize how crappy our zoo is until I visited the Brownsville zoo a year ago... smaller city, smaller budget, lower admission fees with beautiful wide-open animal exhibits that mimic natural environments. They also had a much more interesting selection of animals, I especially liked their troop of gorillas (we haven't had a gorilla in 10 years or something).

It's kind of hard to recreate what Brownsville has when you're landlocked.

I have no clue why we have no Gorillas.

• Like 1

Houston's zoo has actually improved a lot since they started charging admission. I'll agree with you that it's not as nice as Brownsville's, or some of the other zoos in major cities, but it has improved greatly from what it was and continues to get better. Part of the problem was that for many years the zoo was not only free, but it was also not receiving adequate financial support from the city. The relatively small amount of land the zoo has to work with also hasn't helped.

• Like 1

Houston's zoo has actually improved a lot since they started charging admission. I'll agree with you that it's not as nice as Brownsville's, or some of the other zoos in major cities, but it has improved greatly from what it was and continues to get better. Part of the problem was that for many years the zoo was not only free, but it was also not receiving adequate financial support from the city. The relatively small amount of land the zoo has to work with also hasn't helped.

The zoo in Omaha Nebraska is far better than the Houston zoo, in a much smaller market. Almost all of the funding for major updates/rennovations was from private sources. The city shouldn't be to blame, the zoo should be able to raise its own funding.

• Like 1

I think our gorilla died a few years ago. I remember watching that dude puke up his food, eat it, repeat. :wacko:

Our gorilla enclosure was an acoustic nightmare. They had to find a deaf gorilla to live in it.

If you think our zoo sucks, you should have seen it 30 years ago. There used to be a filthy, depressing block of monkey jail cells in the center of it.

• Like 1

Our gorilla enclosure was an acoustic nightmare. They had to find a deaf gorilla to live in it.

If you think our zoo sucks, you should have seen it 30 years ago. There used to be a filthy, depressing block of monkey jail cells in the center of it.

I remember the dark gorilla house, kind of scared me as a wee little one, and the monkey/ape cages in the middle, seems we had more chimps and baboons then.

I do appreciate our Zoo though, probably should have not been free for so long, I love the park setting and the ponds, plants ,trees, and great volunteers. While my son is not old enough to appreciate it, We strolled through the expansive new (since I have been there last) children's area and petting zoo and that looks great.

Ssullivan has a good point too about the size the zoo is allotted, there is only so much they could do with the area, and since they have started charging they have been doing more improvements in recent years.

Lastly, for the money, in my opinion, it is a great inexpensive way to spend a day outdoors with the family.

• Like 1

a friend of mine is a mgr there. she sent me this.

When M'kubwa (Mak) our old gorilla died, it was decided that we would not get more until we had the best facility possible. When our new African exhibit is complete (year 200?) we will get troops of both gorillas and chimpanzees. We will then have 3 of the great apes at the Houston Zoo

• Like 1

I got a behind-the-scenes tour of the zoo once. It's really an impressive operation. The animals were less impressed with me, though. An orangutang peed in his plastic cup, slurped it into his mouth and tried to spit it on me (he missed!)

Later one of the keepers suggested I try feeding pieces of yam to the giraffe by putting them in my mouth. The giraffe's two-foot-long blue tongue snaked down my throat. Ick! I think we're married now.

• Like 1

The giraffe's two-foot-long blue tongue snaked down my throat. Ick! I think we're married now.

"Ick" is not exactly the word I'd choose. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I'm going to have permanent, lifelong issues now whenever a tongue gets near me.

Thanks, though, for waking me up. I was nodding off in a conference call before that post.

• Like 1

I got a behind-the-scenes tour of the zoo once. It's really an impressive operation. The animals were less impressed with me, though. An orangutang peed in his plastic cup, slurped it into his mouth and tried to spit it on me (he missed!)

Later one of the keepers suggested I try feeding pieces of yam to the giraffe by putting them in my mouth. The giraffe's two-foot-long blue tongue snaked down my throat. Ick! I think we're married now.

I'm sure Darcie appreciates that! ;) Her neck didn't look that long too me.......

• Like 1

The zoo in Omaha Nebraska is far better than the Houston zoo, in a much smaller market. Almost all of the funding for major updates/rennovations was from private sources. The city shouldn't be to blame, the zoo should be able to raise its own funding.

As long as the city whores the zoo out for it's P.R. tourism machine, then yes, they are to blame.

My daughter doesn't think our zoo is crappy. She loves it. That's good enough for me.

Zoo memberships here are a great deal if you have a family.

I agree. My daughter loves it and we have a family membership as well.

Edited by Jeebus
  • Like 1

If you read my post again, you'll see that my comment about the city inadequately funding the zoo was more an issue before the zoo started charging admission -- at a time when it was largely dependent on the city for financial support. Since the changes in how the zoo was managed were put in place, which included charging admission, very large renovation projects have been undertaken. There's a lot more corporate sponsorship of the major projects at the zoo than there was in the past. Improvements take time. But if you look at the areas that have been improved -- things such as the primates exhibit, children's petting zoo, and even the big cats exhibit (one of the older renovations at this point), the improvements are quite evident. A large portion of the zoo has been closed off for several years now for the development of the new African exhibit, which will greatly improve the quality of the zoo's habitats for many animals. But projects like these don't happen overnight. It takes years of planning and fundraising before construction can even start; then it may take several years to build the new habitat areas.

Admission fees at the zoo are quite reasonable -- and there are numerous free admission days every year. And as previously mentioned, the family memberships are a great bargain for families that visit several times a year.

• Like 1