Wow, that long? I wonder what they'll do with it. Hopefully put it on display somewhere.

22566358.jpg

Kind of looks like this. and your right they better not melt it down or something stupid like that which Houston is historically known for. Maybe it will go on auction or something insane. We could get all of Haifmeisters to jump on one day we would probably end up derailing it or something. All aboard! :P

Here's a link (there are others too):

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/kho...n.2ab7aed5.html

Based on various news stories from Ch. 11 and 13, it sounds like there will be stations near the Museum of Natural Science, Miller Outdoor Theatre, and at least one of the METRORail stations.

Actually, with the connections to METRORail, this may end up like something Mr. Spieler joked about last April 1 (scroll to the bottom):

http://www.ctchouston.org/blogs/christof/2006/04/01/35/

Here's a link (there are others too):

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/kho...n.2ab7aed5.html

Based on various news stories from Ch. 11 and 13, it sounds like there will be stations near the Museum of Natural Science, Miller Outdoor Theatre, and at least one of the METRORail stations.

Actually, with the connections to METRORail, this may end up like something Mr. Spieler joked about last April 1 (scroll to the bottom):

http://www.ctchouston.org/blogs/christof/2006/04/01/35/

this has been in the planning stages for quite a while...the red line didn't quite meet expectations for access to the park. mayor's office had complaints.

How long has the current train been there?
Not sure where I heard this. I have posted this before, but got no confirmation.

My understanding is that at least one of the trains running at Hermann came from Playland Park when it closed down.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting July 1, going to the Houston Zoo will cost more.

The zoo's board of directors voted to increase adult general admission from $8.50 to $10 and children's admission from $4 to $5.

Zoo officials also announced a discount ticket program with Fiesta Mart. Tickets will be available at the 33 Fiesta Mart locations for $8.

full article

They need more money but announce a program to sell them cheaper than they currently are selling them for?

Starting July 1, going to the Houston Zoo will cost more.

The zoo's board of directors voted to increase adult general admission from $8.50 to $10 and children's admission from $4 to $5.

Zoo officials also announced a discount ticket program with Fiesta Mart. Tickets will be available at the 33 Fiesta Mart locations for $8.

full article

They need more money but announce a program to sell them cheaper than they currently are selling them for?

Wow, I remember when dad would take me there and it was free. I had to drink out of the lions head fountain even if I wasnt thirsty. I always got a helium balloon on the way out. It had a colorful mickey mouse head shaped balloon on the inside of a clear round balloon.

Wow, I remember when dad would take me there and it was free. I had to drink out of the lions head fountain even if I wasnt thirsty. I always got a helium balloon on the way out. It had a colorful mickey mouse head shaped balloon on the inside of a clear round balloon.

I thought we pay taxes to keep up that place, and yes, I thought it was free too, or at least a meaningless amount. That is as much as a movie ticket now.

Does anyone remember when they started charging admission. I'm thinking it had to have been 10-12 years ago. And when they started, it was 50 cents for kids and I think $2 for adults. In that short period of time admission has skyrocketed to $5 for kids and $10 for adults.

That's a prohibitive amount for many families. Families could always turn to the zoo for a day of fun. Then you could go have a picnic in Hermann Park. Good, clean, CHEAP family fun.

The article says the zoo is trying to become one of the top 5 zoos in the nation. That's a tall order, especially in our climate. How much of the zoo is air conditioned?

With the price increases over the years for the Museum of Natural Science also (with separate fees for the butterfly room, IMAX, parking, etc), you'd have to have at least $150 bucks on hand if you want to take your family of 4 or 5 to that area.

Does anyone remember when they started charging admission. I'm thinking it had to have been 10-12 years ago. And when they started, it was 50 cents for kids and I think $2 for adults. In that short period of time admission has skyrocketed to $5 for kids and $10 for adults.

That's a prohibitive amount for many families. Families could always turn to the zoo for a day of fun. Then you could go have a picnic in Hermann Park. Good, clean, CHEAP family fun.

The article says the zoo is trying to become one of the top 5 zoos in the nation. That's a tall order, especially in our climate. How much of the zoo is air conditioned?

With the price increases over the years for the Museum of Natural Science also (with separate fees for the butterfly room, IMAX, parking, etc), you'd have to have at least $150 bucks on hand if you want to take your family of 4 or 5 to that area.

Our former mayor Kathryn J. Whitmire was the reason it went from free to a fee.

This fare increase is not fair. Houston's zoo is not very large and should be free. I was raised in St. Louis where there is a wonderful zoo, it was free and still is. If St. Louis can offer a free zoo, then Houston can. I think the families of Houston deserve this and this would make an excellent campaign issue.

Yes, I remember it being free years ago, but it was an extremely pitiful zoo and they constantly asked for donations to upkeep the zoo and such.

I went back a couple of years ago and was amazed on how much they had improved it, from what some of my friends have said, the new Meercat exhibit is awesome.

While I'm not sure what funding the St. Luis zoo gets, if it's from the city, then I'm sure they have a good sized Tax rate. If it's by donations, then their city is more generous than our own.

The thing is to find out WHY St. Louis is free as opposed to our own.

The thing is to find out WHY St. Louis is free as opposed to our own.

Chicago is free, too. But not as good as Houston's (but pretty close). It's something like the 5th biggest tourist attraction in the city, and 10th in the state.

remember, the city doesn't operate it anymore. they handed it over to a private corp to operate. they have raised the prices several times.

The Museum of Natural Science was free at one point. Someone ran some numbers and realized almost 1/4th of the visitors were there just so they could use the rest rooms. When they started adding the IMAX and various other exhibits, they started charging. With the better quality exhibits, more people were willing to come to the museum and it has grown ever since.

The same has happened with the Zoo. I believe that if you produce a higher quality, people are willing to pay for it. It has been shown time and again that if you simply provide something FREE, people won't appreciate it. Sad but true.

Should they charge? No. Is it necessary to have higher quality exhibits? Yes.

I think it's improved a great deal and I have to admit that the monies acquired from admission fees probably had something to do with it.

Well, the St. Louis zoo is world famous and much larger with great exhibits, (90 acres). I can't remember when it wasn't nice and it is clean too. St. Louis is a very small city and the city charter will not allow it to grow. Most of the growth in that area is in the county. Chicago's Lincoln Park zoo is small but very good and extremely walkable. The little red squirrels follow you everywhere, lol. It is a true urban zoo. The problem with the Houston zoo, is the small size (55 acres), you can only do so much. Houston should keep this as an urban zoo and then build a world class zoo where they have more land. Also, Harris County could potentially support a larger zoo.

Well, the St. Louis zoo is world famous and much larger with great exhibits, (90 acres). I can't remember when it wasn't nice and it is clean too. St. Louis is a very small city and the city charter will not allow it to grow. Most of the growth in that area is in the county. Chicago's Lincoln Park zoo is small but very good and extremely walkable. The little red squirrels follow you everywhere, lol. It is a true urban zoo. The problem with the Houston zoo, is the small size (55 acres), you can only do so much. Houston should keep this as an urban zoo and then build a world class zoo where they have more land. Also, Harris County could potentially support a larger zoo.

I agree with you, actually, perhaps a larger zoo in another part of the city would be nice, but then we'd be put in an interesting situation of supporting TWO zoos.

St. Louis had a bit of an advantage, they're 90 acres but they had a bit of a jump start with the World's Fair that was held there at the time it was founded. Also considering some notable people came from there including Marlin Perkins of, "See? he's about the touch the lion while I'm WAAAAY over here talking to you!" fame.

:D

Seems like everything is going up at one time. Atleast we are not in San Diego where it's $76.00 for a family of 4. Comparisions were made on 13 Eyewitness News at 11am this morning. I don't think the new prices are that bad.

I was looking at google earth. If the zoo could only take over the golf course right next door we would then have a zoo more than three times it's current size. I'm sure golfer's wouldn't be too happy about that. I think it would be worth it.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the yearly family pass at the bargain basement price of $70, allowing 2 adults and 3 children to go to the zoo for a year. To steal a quote from "Off the Kuff", if you are only going to the zoo once, what are you complaining about? If you go twice on the family pass, it pays for itself, any trips after that are free.

There are also 5 free days. For those families for whom the fees are an unaffordable extravagance, a little planning is required. The City chips in $7.8 million a year toward operations, going up to $7.9 million next year. The City also gives the zoo rent free space in the most beautiful park in the city.

For those who think 10 bucks is a bit much to spend to tour one of the best zoos in the country, might I suggest spending a Saturday at the Aquarium in downtown, followed by a Sunday at Kemah Boardwalk. Then post here on Monday whether you still think the zoo's $10 charge is outrageous.

EDIT: Oh, and moni forgot to mention that, while the St. Louis Zoo is free, parking there is $9!

Edited by RedScare

I don't mind the $1.50 increase. Those animals deserve the best accomodations available for our entertainment. I love the Tamarin Monkeys running around in the trees, they will get close to you, and they may even touch you, but you better not try to touch them, they have a posse on the ground lookin out for them, and that posse has to get paid also. Our zoo is very special, just think, all the sick children from the surrounding hospitals get to come over for free, and the amount of joy those children get from the animals is priceless. I am happy to help out with a little expense, as I only get to go maybe 5 to 6 times a year with my 2 girls. I have only been twice this year, I should get the family pass like Red suggested also.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the yearly family pass at the bargain basement price of $70, allowing 2 adults and 3 children to go to the zoo for a year. To steal a quote from "Off the Kuff", if you are only going to the zoo once, what are you complaining about? If you go twice on the family pass, it pays for itself, any trips after that are free.

IMO these passes are what killed astroworld!

That's funny, the other six flags parks seem to be doing just fine and they offer season passes.

Good-bye Magic Mountain? Six Flags puts six parks up for sale or closure

2006-06-22

By Robert Niles: Six Flags announced plans Thursday to sell or close six of its properties, including the chain's once-flagship park, Magic Mountain, in Valencia, Calif. Long-time TPI readers are familiar with our coverage of Six Flags' financial struggles........

think of just charging 15 per entrance vs the cost for the pass...i'll bet they would have made more money. when it used to be 9.99 we would go with no hesitation. but with the prices of the one time tickets going up so much, people that were not really interesting in going often would have to think twice. revenues are what killed them or lack of them

Edited by musicman