Dowtown Fort Worth

Sundance Square in DT Fort Worth would be a great model for the Houston Center area. To me, they have some similarities, and resign myself to the fact that the Lamar and McKinney corridors from Houston Center to about Milam are probably the best bets to see further expansion of longterm retail (not bars and restuarants) similar to what's at Sundance.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, that's why I like FW. They are not Dallasy in attitude, and the Downtown is simple, but really nice, and nicely urban.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
One of the most refreshing aspects of a Dallas existance is being able to get to Fort Worth in about half an hour.

Definetly. My old college roommate lives and works in downtown Ft. Worth, and it a great place to go when you want something a little different.

Downtown Ft. Worth is hot, hot, hot! Residential, commecrial, entertainment...

Ft. Worth reminds me of Lubbock in the aspect that they have agriculture just outside the CBD...i like the feel of having the city next to the country..dont get me wrong i love a true urban paradise...but this combination makes me think of the vast diversity of Texas and its residents

Ft. Worth reminds me of Lubbock in the aspect that they have agriculture just outside the CBD...i like the feel of having the city next to the country..dont get me wrong i love a true urban paradise...but this combination makes me think of the vast diversity of Texas and its residents

Hey brijonmang,

I'm a former Red Raider and life long FW resident... where is there agriculture right outside of FW's CBD? Were you referring to Trinity Park/River on the West side, or were you referring perhaps to the park land to the East of DT FW? To my knowledge DTFW is no where near anything agricultural. The thing about FW and Lubbock that are similar to me are the people - both are home to that famous Texas-brand hospitality that made our great state so great...

I was referring to the "stockyard" area just north of town...I always see it whenever i drive through...I guess it was a little foolish of me to speak on something I don't have too much information about...but i was just takin a stab, anyway "Wreck 'em Tech"

• 4 weeks later...

"Wreck 'em Tech".... Love that!

Now I know what you meant. Although, the stockyards in FW are more historical and more of a tourist thing now than an actual working stockyard. The FW Stockyards are great... They're kept it preserved as part of the city's rich history and have successfully transformed it into an urban village that actually is designed around the historic structures that were built back when FW was a small wester outpost. It's sort of the anit-urban development in that it IS an urban village, yet it's well over a hundred years old. Stockyards Station is the converted cattle pins which now house various retail shops and restaraunts. It's a great place to visit if you've never seen it. It's very unique and full of Texas history.

Also, there is a strong chance that XTO Energy is going to build a 50+ story tower in downtown FW. We're waiting for the official announcement. There is also a rumor that another 50+ story residential tower is in the works for Downtown FW... In addition to that, there will be more highrises built along the Trinity River as part of the Trinity River Vision once it's underway. FW has experienced incredible growth in the past 5 year and it's jut now starting to pick up steam. It's going to be incredible to see how different FW is 5 years from now.

All the land along 7th Street between downtown and University Drive to the west of downtown has been purchased by developers and plans are going to transform 7th Street and the entire intersection of 7th and Univ. FW CBD is going to bust with development to the North, West, and South...

You know that's pretty impressive. I'm in Dallas regularly and never get to Cow town. It looks very charming.

Any natives out there that could direct me on a few must see places in the area shown. I'll be in North Texas in a few weeks.

Actually, I'm a native FWian... so let's see... You need to definitely checkout downtown. Sundance Square is great! The cultural district is great too - world reknown museums and lots of great little art galleries. The FW Zoo is ranked among the best in the country - it's really nice and usually beautiful this time of year. Of course, if you want to experience "cowtown", which really is a big denial of what FW really is these days, then you need to hit the North Side. Billy Bob's is the world's largest "honkey tonk"... not my thing, but if you like country music, it's the place to go. Also, Joe T. Garcia's mexican restaraunt is world famous and it's just a few blocks from the historic stockyards - also fun to see if you're not from FW. Joe T's food is debated - some love it, some don't. I recommend the family style enchilada dinner. The margarita's are great (if not just killer strong). And, the patio is unbelievable. The restaraunt is one of the largest, if not the largest in the state. It seats over 2000 at one time. The gardens in back are adorned with plants imported from mexico and the tropics, a swimming pool and various fountains. The atmosphere is great - mariachi's, etc. It's a fun place. But, bring cash because they don't take credit cards or checks. April is also the time of year that nascar fires up at the Texas Motor Speedway in far North FW, if that's your thing. The TMS is GIGANTIC. It's the 3rd largest sports stadium on Earth - from what I understand. It seats something like 250,000. If you want to know anything else, just ask... I'm blank right now. Have fun while you're here. FW really is the better half of the metroplex.

Actually, I'm a native FWian... so let's see... You need to definitely checkout downtown. Sundance Square is great! The cultural district is great too - world reknown museums and lots of great little art galleries. The FW Zoo is ranked among the best in the country - it's really nice and usually beautiful this time of year. Of course, if you want to experience "cowtown", which really is a big denial of what FW really is these days, then you need to hit the North Side. Billy Bob's is the world's largest "honkey tonk"... not my thing, but if you like country music, it's the place to go. Also, Joe T. Garcia's mexican restaraunt is world famous and it's just a few blocks from the historic stockyards - also fun to see if you're not from FW. Joe T's food is debated - some love it, some don't. I recommend the family style enchilada dinner. The margarita's are great (if not just killer strong). And, the patio is unbelievable. The restaraunt is one of the largest, if not the largest in the state. It seats over 2000 at one time. The gardens in back are adorned with plants imported from mexico and the tropics, a swimming pool and various fountains. The atmosphere is great - mariachi's, etc. It's a fun place. But, bring cash because they don't take credit cards or checks. April is also the time of year that nascar fires up at the Texas Motor Speedway in far North FW, if that's your thing. The TMS is GIGANTIC. It's the 3rd largest sports stadium on Earth - from what I understand. It seats something like 250,000. If you want to know anything else, just ask... I'm blank right now. Have fun while you're here. FW really is the better half of the metroplex.

hey thanks for the info. It's going to be a couple of weeks before I get up there but you'll probably get an email from me right before I go. I'm pretty pumped to have something new to do while in Dallas.

hey thanks for the info. It's going to be a couple of weeks before I get up there but you'll probably get an email from me right before I go. I'm pretty pumped to have something new to do while in Dallas.

No problem at all... Tell me what you like to do and I can probably direct you to the right places. You'll love downtown FW... Too bad you're not going to be here this weekend... The FW Main Street Arts Festival starts this Thursday and it is amazing. It's the largest civic event in DFW... Over 500,000 will attend the 4 day event in downtown FW. It's a giant arts festival that draws artist from around the world to display/sell their works. It's packed with people, site-see'ers, food, live music, drinks, and usually great weather. It stretches from Sundance Square all the way to the Convention Center. It is a great time and a really awesome thing to behold when there are hudreds of thousands of people all crowded up and down Main Street.

But, there are lots of little eateries, bars, and cool places to "hang out" in FW. It just depends on how you like to spend your time. If you like to bike ride or rollerblade you might want to consider bringing a bike or blades because the FW Bike trails are extensive. They run from Benbrook in far SW FW to downtown, then split... one branch turns north and runs to the Stockyards, the other leg goes east to River Legacy Park in Arlington.

You might want to consider checking out the Fort Worth Architecture Forum to find out more about FW before trekking over from Dallas. It really is a whole different feel than Dallas... My favorite BBQ place in FW has T-shirts that say "Life is too short to live in Dallas". I'm sure a Houstonian like yourself would love to have one of those. ;)

Places to go...

* Restaraunts/Bars:

* 8.0 in Sundance Square....

* Reata in Sundance Square (this one is a bit expensive, but they have a great rooftop bar overlooking Sundance Square... You could just have a drink and take in the incredible view.)

* 4 Day Weekend Improvisational Comedy (Sundance Square - I graduated from this comedy school and the weekend shows are incredible. The guys are really talented and just taped a pilot for ABC. Also, they trained at Second City in Chicago. www.Fourdayweekend.com)

* Railhead BBQ - locals favorite for cold beer and great BBQ (this is where the t-shirt comes from) Just north of I-30 on Montgomery St. (5 minutes west of downtown off I30)

* Joe T. Garcia's Mexican Restaraunt - wicked margarita's. North of Downtown off Commerce Street. It's famous, every celeb that comes to DFW goes there....

Sites:

* Kimbell Art Museum - Cult. Dist

* FW Museum of Moder Art - Cult Dist

* Amon Carter Museum of Western Art - Cult Dist.

* FW Zoo... South on University off of I30 (West of Downtown)

Send me an e-mail before you come and let me know what you're looking for and I'll point you in that direction.

Hey, you graduated from comedy school, that's pretty cool. I'm an entertainer (musician) myself which is why I travel so much.

I'm pretty stoked about coming up. I wish they booked our hotel in FW versus Dallas but that's ok, living in H-Town I'm used to long drives. I like Dallas and all but as much as I travel it's a little generic for me. I need some new culture and FW sounds good. I would probably be more interested in soaking up the DT atmosphere. I love beer pubs, anything come to mind DT?

I'll deffinately check out the FW forum and will probably give you a shout in a week or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone on here is so hell-bent on bashing Dallas that they have overlooked one of the state's best cities... Fort Worth. Okay, FW hasn't totally been forgotten but it sure does represent a very small portion of the Dallas-Fort Worth section of this forum. So, I thought I'd add some information about what's going on in FW... These are just three of the huge projects that are going on in FW right now... I'll post more later...

From Star Telegram 4/11/05:

Developer buys downtown land

Fort Worth architect and real estate developer Ken Schaumburg recently bought a second downtown city block for a residential development, perhaps for an extension of his Le Bijou town house development or a high-rise tower.

Posted on Tue, Mar. 08, 2005

Building likely to come down

By Sandra Baker

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH - XTO Energy is reviewing bids to demolish the vacant Landmark Tower downtown and it's a "relative certainty" that the 30-story aluminum-sided building will come down this year, a company executive said Monday.

Steve Palko, XTO's president, also said the company is considering building a 50-story office tower on the site at Seventh and Houston streets. _____________________

Posted on Sun, Jun. 20, 2004

Fort Worth: the Vancouver of the South?

By Mitchell Schnurman

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Can Fort Worth really emulate Vancouver, British Columbia?

But Vancouver has turned out to be the inspiration for one of Fort Worth's most ambitious projects ever: the Trinity River vision.

The Trinity plan has evolved in the past nine months, becoming even more alluring. The latest proposal, unveiled publicly last week, has a more elongated town lake, rather than a round orb. A number of canals have been added, and the space resembles a river delta.

http://www.trinityrivervision.org/Conceptu...Layout=Lightbox

***Edited to remove copyrighted content***

Archived