I Have Questions On The East End

Hey all, I am a new registered user although I have been lookng at the postings fo a few months now. I moved here from London a year ago and have been renting in Montrose and I am fed up with high rent and looking to buy. I have been looking(2-3months) thoughout town and I have noticed the new builds that are occurring in the East End, a little north of downtown, near Ninfa's etc. (Navigation, Clinton)

I read the older "What about the East End?" which is a year old(ish) and a thread which looked like it became a race relations course. I would like to avoid that please.

I would like to see what people are thinking about now in terms of development. I know the McMansions (i really love that term by the way :) ) are building up, but as a first home buyer with little equity, I want to see what the general feel is for this area as an investment. I told my realtor I was interested in housing within walking distance to commercial businesses etc. although after looking around and taking this area into consideration, I am looking past that as there seems to be a lot new construction and as the West End is becoming more saturated. I would agree that it will be a bedroom community in the future but are there plans for any grocery stores been proposed in the area?

Last, how did this area fair during the Allison flood?

Please feel free to refer me to other threads as well as these forums are quite large. I just wanted to see what the current climate was like.

Cheers

I don't typically think of newly redeveloped properties as good investments. Sure, you may see some appreciation, but the big gains are to be had buying a delapidated house with a fair amount of land under it, and waiting for the townhouses to spring up around it....then you can sell it for lot value for some pretty big gains.

Basically, there's a risk/reward tradeoff. The closer you go to downtown, the less risky it is but the higher the price you're going to pay and the slower the likely appreciation. If you decide to go with something in a little more "rustic" of a neighborhood, you've got higher risks and potentially higher returns. One of the risks, by the way, is an unknown time horizon for reaping the benefit of your investment.

I'm not sure that I can really offer helpful advice, because I just don't know what your risk tolerances and specific preferences are, but I'll tell you this much: it's going to take a long while before the east end gets another grocery store. They used to have an H-E-B on Harrisburg in the Eastwood area, but that's an Autozone now.

Guest danax

Welcome to America, Houston and HAIF, cjlewis610!

I think there's more info on the East End lodged in the HAIF topics than anywhere else in the world so I would encourage you to check through all of them.

I like this area because the bottom of its cycle coincided with the end of the 20th Century and it's a good feeling to live somewhere that is obviously on it's way up. The townhouse boom is likely to continue to spread unhindered for years due to 1) the West End & Midtown becoming increasingly more expensive and congested 2) the area is ripe and ready for redevelopment due to low violent crime, proximity to DT, no flooding (FloodMap, put in 77023), and old housing with no resistance to demolition and 3) lots and lots of lots fitting the above description, probably covering 1/4 to 1/3 of the entire inner loop area.

As far as investment potential, I think it's the same as anywhere else; how long are you willing to wait, what market did you buy in and what will the market be like when you sell and, choosing location well. One thing about an area that is in the process of being reinvented is that you don't know what might pop up next door from one year to the next. Affordable-type apartment projects, strip centers, etc. Try to stay away from railroad crossings as the whistles can be disturbing to one's peace and property values.

Up until now, the area has been either industrial or lower-income Hispanic neighborhoods, with some decent, older residential neighborhoods like Eastwood, Idylwood, Houston Country Club Estates and Forest Hill still intact. Some McMansioning is occuring in those neighborhoods but the rest of the massive low-income mono-culture will get broken up and brand new micro-districts will be created, such as the Clinton Dr. area. Some of those little hilly streets north of Harrisburg would make great townhouse neighborhoods. The bayous have yet to be developed and those could finally reach their potential as recreational and residential havens. And of course, the 2 Rail/BRT lines hopefully will add to the picture.

Retail will follow in time and then the area will really start to perk up but until then, the West End is only minutes away. Wulfe & Co. (Gulfgate, Meyerland Plaza) own the old factory at Harrisburg and Lockwood and plan to build a retail center there. The man in charge of leasing told me a year or two ago "we don't want it to be a bunch of dollar stores" so they're waiting for a decent anchor tenant before proceeding. I have noticed that they're starting to dismantle the factory so that could be a sign of progress. The speed at which all of this occurs depends on the market and the opening up of similar areas around town so he who is willing to plant his soul and enjoy the process will make out fine.

This is my first post. I have just purchased a home in Eastwood. I was facing a choice between overspending on a townhome in a more established area or buying a great old home in an up and coming area. I am new to Houston. I love Eastwoods beautiful old homes, hispanic influence (I am anglo), and proximity to downtown. I really feel it is an up and coming area though I will admit, I am new to Houston and don't know Houston that well.

Any information about Eastwood, East End Development, or new retail would be appreciated.

I am thrilled about moving to the city. I have moved more in the last 10 years than many people do their whole lives. I am looking forward to living in my little Eastwood home for many years. I am proud to call Houston home.

:)

This is my first post. I have just purchased a home in Eastwood. I was facing a choice between overspending on a townhome in a more established area or buying a great old home in an up and coming area. I am new to Houston. I love Eastwoods beautiful old homes, hispanic influence (I am anglo), and proximity to downtown. I really feel it is an up and coming area though I will admit, I am new to Houston and don't know Houston that well.

Any information about Eastwood, East End Development, or new retail would be appreciated.

I am thrilled about moving to the city. I have moved more in the last 10 years than many people do their whole lives. I am looking forward to living in my little Eastwood home for many years. I am proud to call Houston home.

:)

Congratulations on your purchase!!! Welcome to Houston and the "forum".

oh and if you haven't found it yet...the Eastwood Neighborhood Association website is http://www.eastwood-houston.com/

This eastside regentrification is not something I've heard about. Very interesting.

Again, I am new to Houston and don't pretend to be an expert but there certainly seems to be quite a bit of new development on the east end. Lots of Townhomes and such going up just east of Highway 59. New retail centers seem to be going into the area too. I can't remember the name of the street the new retail is going on but its on the same street as the new AutoZone (which I guess replaced an HEB). I also noticed a new sports bar opening on the same street.

I would also suspect that when the Houston Pavillions is completed it would continue to help development on the East Side. As downtown continues to become a hub for entertainment, dining, etc., those desiring to live near downtown will increase. And of course, as noted on many threads, Midtown, Heights, etc., have few affordable housing options, including townhomes which are asking $200+ in these areas. The east end seems like one of the few last areas for affordable housing in the inner loop.

Another thing I noticed, my budget made me quickly narrow down to a few different areas. I did look at Lindale Park. But Lindale Park didn't seem nearly as desirable (safe? clean?) as the Eastwood/Idylwood areas. The Lindale Park area also seem to have very little retail nearby and I saw none coming in. Not bashing Lindale Park, just my observation.

Anyhow, just my humble opinion on the East End. I want to reemphasize, I am BRAND new to Houston. My observations are based on my limited time researching the area, driving around, and lurking on these forums.

B)

Congratulations on your purchase!!! Welcome to Houston and the "forum".

oh and if you haven't found it yet...the Eastwood Neighborhood Association website is http://www.eastwood-houston.com/

Thanks Gnu! I appreciate it the congrats and the link! :)

Your reaction has been a very common one I have found with buyers I work with. Especially for people new to Houston who look at the proximity to downtown & weigh the price differences and the quality of the housing stock in their range. Usually the east side proves to be their best choice.

I've said it before & I will say it again. For local buyers though, they have to get over the "southeast side vertigo." That more than anything seems to be an issue for locals with the area. It's ironic that with the more legitimate issues that could hold people back from buying in the east end, it is more one of perception that seems to be the usual culprit. People percieve it as being "way over there" when it is often times closer to downtown than other more mainstream neighborhoods farther west. Just today I got feedback on a little Art Deco bungalow I have listed in Idylwood. The response from the showing Realtor was "they are not sure they want to live that far out." Far out? You are inside the loop and maybe 5 minutes from downtown. How is that "far out?!!"

It IS a journey to the nearest Whole Foods, & other prime retail, however you define that, (Highland Village type maybe?). That to me is the achilles (sp?) heel of the east/southeast side. I think you hit the nail on the head with the Pavillions downtown. If that all unfolds as planned, and downtown regains retail strength, ( to go along with it's present strength in nightclubs, sporting arenas, performing arts, etc) then that will increase the neighborhoods draw b/c they are so close. Eastwood is right there at downtown, Idylwood/Houston C.C. is not much further, and going out to Glenbrook Valley still keeps you within 10 - 15 minutes of downtown.

It IS a journey to the nearest Whole Foods, & other prime retail, however you define that, (Highland Village type maybe?). That to me is the achilles (sp?) heel of the east/southeast side.

For many people, the issue isn't the proximity to Central Market or Starbucks; just an H-E-B, Kroger or Randall's would do.

Or a clean Fiesta. <_<

For many people, the issue isn't the proximity to Central Market or Starbucks; just an H-E-B, Kroger or Randall's would do.

Or a clean Fiesta. <_<

Not sure about a clean Fiesta but there is a Kroger's right near Eastwood, on Cullen Blvd. I believe...

Guest danax

Not having an "upscale" grocery store nearby, for me, is so minor as to be a non-issue. Whole Foods isn't far from where I work so I shop on the way home and get certain generic items at HEB Gulfgate or Fiesta, which is actually pretty clean where I'm at (their shopping carts are even scattered around my neighborhood for convenience.. :rolleyes: ). Randall's Midtown is about 10 minutes max if I just have to have a mint iced tea or some Garcia Bros tortilla chips.

And while I'm sure I would enjoy living in a West End bungalow and having everything 5 minutes away, it's kind of nice to be able to drive "over there" in 15-20 minutes and come back home where it's not so jammed with people.

Thanks for helping clear that up.

The concern was less that local stores wouldn't carry every microwavable frozen food on the market, or twenty different types of toilet paper; that has little appeal to me. However, I have lived in neighborhoods where local stores were downright ghetto (if that word is permissible) - overpriced, sour milk, rotten meat, etc. One person's preconceptions is another's bitter experience.

So long as there are nearby stores which stock a reasonable variety of edible foods at affordable prices, I'm happy.

Personally I could care less about whole foods myself, (I seldom cook) and it's not like I am going to be running into Pottery Barn or something like that once a week either. So I don't find the minimal retail an issue either, but the proximity to whole foods or a central market is a request I get a surprising number of times.

As for grocery stores over there, Kroger by Eastwood, a nice HEB in Gulfgate, and by Glenbrook there is a nice Kroger on Bellefort and also a decent Fiesta across the street.

Personally I could care less about whole foods myself, (I seldom cook) and it's not like I am going to be running into Pottery Barn or something like that once a week either. So I don't find the minimal retail an issue either, but the proximity to whole foods or a central market is a request I get a surprising number of times.

As for grocery stores over there, Kroger by Eastwood, a nice HEB in Gulfgate, and by Glenbrook there is a nice Kroger on Bellefort and also a decent Fiesta across the street.

That Kroger store on Polk is horrible! It's filthy and has out-of-date items on the shelves. Kroger Corp. ought to be ashamed to put its name on that place.

Or, maybe the management thinks that those of us who live in the Near East End don't care, or don't deserve anything better.

The HEB at Gulfgate is okay but operates under the assumption that it's in a blue-collar Hispanic neighborhood and therefore can fill its freezer cases with tons of Goya frozen items and taquitos but can't be bothered with a decent selection of Ben and Jerry's. Yet, it sells fresh sushi. Go figure!

the HEB at gulfgate also reminds me of being at walmart - loud and crowded...

the kroger on bellfort and telephone can be a little...amusing after dark

I agree with both of those statements. I hate going to Walmart for that reason (oh and the fact that they are the evil empire too, :P )

The gulfgate HEB get's too packed. And definately a product selection that caters to working class hispanics.

It has a very "mercado" feel. very different from the new HEB on Blackhawk...but i don't like going that far.

I will stick with the Bellfort Kroger. Seems to have most of the basics i need. Grocery store feel circa mid 90's.

We used to shop at the HEB Panty on Bellfort and it was fine.

I really dunno if closing two HEB Pantry's (Bellfort and Harrisburg) to open Gulfgate was better for the community in the long run.

Oh, and The bellfort fiesta is like shopping going into a 1970's time machine.

Guest danax
The HEB at Gulfgate is okay but operates under the assumption that it's in a blue-collar Hispanic neighborhood and therefore can fill its freezer cases with tons of Goya frozen items and taquitos but can't be bothered with a decent selection of Ben and Jerry's. Yet, it sells fresh sushi. Go figure!

Can't blame them for catering to that group. It seems to be working. They carried type of frozen vegi-burger there when they first opened for almost half of what Whole Foods charged but I guess I was the only one who bought them as they were discontinued and replaced with the Goya items you mentioned.

It's as congested as that entire Gulfgate area, but the lines inside aren't usually too bad when I'm there.

And that Kroger's on Cullen is pretty washed-out and uninspired. Reminds me of the one that used to be on Wayside, and that is now a gigantic thrift store.

I actually like that HEB - yes it caters to its audience, but its actually usually clean and stocked. I never see long lines, but I also go at around 8 at night when I go, so I haven't seen it at 5. I live where its a little closer to go to the Randall's midtown, but I just hate that Randall's. Usually only 2 lines open and Randall's is just more expensive now. Their deli selections suck too now that they carry Safeway brand and not Boar's Head like they used to.

I would hope that eventually as the East End/ warehouse district populates, Kroger will anchor a new store to replace the one on Polk.

I never cook. I live alone in a travel trailer. I have my cabinet filled with only canned foods. When I'm hungry, I simply empty a can of something into a bowl and stick it in the microwave. Right now I have enough food in my trailer to live through a siege. And I always buy it at Dollar General store. So I don't need to have a supermarket near or far from where I live.

that's getting closer to 610/ship channel and where harrisburg turns into broadway

Magnolia Trails is a new community of eleven well-designed and constructed single-family homes in Houston's historic East End.

anyone know who built them?

and what is historic about it now?

Guest danax
I found this this morning while browsing HAR:

http://www.har.com/search/engine/indexdeta...class=1&sTYPE=0

That's DEEP in the east end....I'm not familar with those streets exactly, but I drove through just north of there, and it seemed to be much worse than the Idylwood/Forest Hill/HCCP area.

I believe those are these.

They're in the slummy Magnolia Park, but along the hike/bike trail. These are a mile or two east of the next closest townhouse projects, one of which is on Sidney St., also along a hike/bike trail.

I know land values have gone up in that area so hopefully some decent quality density will develop. Actually, replacing those old homes with townhomes might not increase the population density as two per townhouse times however many can be placed on a lot might not be much more than the number per house now.

Ash, you're living the dream:

92smattfoley2.jpg

"IN A VAN... DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!"

Is that Drew Carey? Yes, I'm always living in a dream world. For about a year I've been dreaming how my life would have turned out had I stayed in Houston and not moved away back in 1964.

Do you shop at Dollar General?

Is that Drew Carey? Yes, I'm always living in a dream world. For about a year I've been dreaming how my life would have turned out had I stayed in Houston and not moved away back in 1964.

Back when I was in high school, girl's mothers wouldn't let their daughters go out with a guy who drove a van.

Back when I was in high school, girl's mothers wouldn't let their daughters go out with a guy who drove a van.

Drew Carey??? :o:o oh, c'mon, that's a classic SNL skit with the late great Chris Farley.

:unsure::wacko::unsure:

Well, the photo wasn't up close enough for me to clearly see who it was.

My favorite part of Saturday Night Live was the Mr. Bill Show (OH, NOOOO!!!).

lol, yeah.

...to get back on topic. As a fellow eastender or near eastsider (not sure what the official term is). I'm seeing positive change on this side of downtown. Yes, i might be slow, but this side of downtown seems to get forgotten and discarded an old, abandoned warehouse zone. Maybe that is it used to be, it's really very nice and quiet neighborhood now ( just get rid of the damn train and it will be even quieter, :D ). Also, from what I heard and read, there is a posibility that one of the lightrail, bus-rail alignments might run on Navigation or Harrisburg. This should help push development even more.

I see a lot of future in this area, glad to be a resident.

No. For the most part, I go Krogering. Speaking of which--when I lived on the UH campus, I sometimes used to go to the Kroger on Cullen and Polk. I didn't think it was that bad. But that was a number of years ago, so maybe it's gotten worse.

That Kroger is where I used to buy the cheapest beer known to mankind: Texas Pride. Brewed by the Pearl Brewery, but not as "high-fallutin'" as Pearl. I think it was $2.39/six-pack.

This was about 15 years ago, but we never had any problems in that Kroger or anywhere else in the area. I used to eat at some of the fine dining establishments in the area all the time. What was the one on Lockwood...Taqueria Acapulco? We also used to spend a lot of time at Catal Huyek/Harvey's Club DeLuxe back then (old-timers and newbies would both know that one as The Axiom.)

I think it's a great part of town. You should buy there...the more the merrier!

I agree with both of those statements. I hate going to Walmart for that reason (oh and the fact that they are the evil empire too, :P )

The gulfgate HEB get's too packed. And definately a product selection that caters to working class hispanics.

It has a very "mercado" feel. very different from the new HEB on Blackhawk...but i don't like going that far.

I will stick with the Bellfort Kroger. Seems to have most of the basics i need. Grocery store feel circa mid 90's.

We used to shop at the HEB Panty on Bellfort and it was fine.

I really dunno if closing two HEB Pantry's (Bellfort and Harrisburg) to open Gulfgate was better for the community in the long run.

Oh, and The bellfort fiesta is like shopping going into a 1970's time machine.

I'm lauging that we all must have run into each other at the Bellfort Kroger and didn't know it. I go there for basics. Like Danax I work near a really nice Kroger Signature and the Whole Foods so I just grab items on my way home if I need things that the Bellfort Kroger doesn't have. Mostly Boars Head deli products and decent meats/seafood. But the Bellfort Kroger does now carry St Arnolds beer. That's a major improvement :)

I avoid the HEB at Gulfgate like the freakin' plague. It's beyond the mess that is Walmart.

Also there is major retail and upgrading going in at Almeda. While not super close to the Eastwood/Idlewood area. It's really a quick trip as it's just a direct shot down 45. The Super Walmart is open (uggh), PetsMart is close to being open, and Barnes & Noble is planning to go in.

Archived