House Of Blues In Dallas

Well, I'd like to thank the "usual suspects" for the much-needed comic relief you all provided me with from reading this thread. As usual, this forum's "resident winers" couldn't resist what, IMHO, is a very juvenile way of comparing not only the two HOB projects, but the two cities amenities. To a non-Texan, I fear it appears that Houstonians have some sort of inferiority complex when it comes to Big D.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's nice to have HOB. But now I want to see new developments that will make Houston and/or Dallas unique to other cities in the states. For example, if every city had the Effel Tower, there'd be one less reason to visit Paris. Or if gambling was legal in all the United States, Las Vegas probably wouldn't have as much success with tourism.

Both Houston and Dallas already have a lot architecture and entertainment wise, but both could use so much more. It doesn't even have to be a tourist attraction. Just has to be different and unique. I want to see both cities set trends again like Texas cities once did in the past. Now everybody wants a Riverwalk like San Antonio (Buffalo Bayou, Woodlands, etc.). People followed Houston after we built the Astrodome (Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Syracuse, Tampa Bay, Detroit, etc. I want to see cities in Texas become trend-setters again instead of trend-followers when it comes to retail, entertainment, and architecture.

I understand where you are coming from DJ V Lawrence, but I'm afraid the only way these two cities will be able to distinguish themselves in the future is culturally. Maybe even to the point were someone from NY would hear "Dallas" and "Houston", and two different cultural images would come to mind.

Well, I'd like to thank the "usual suspects" for the much-needed comic relief you all provided me with from reading this thread. As usual, this forum's "resident winers" couldn't resist what, IMHO, is a very juvenile way of comparing not only the two HOB projects, but the two cities amenities. To a non-Texan, I fear it appears that Houstonians have some sort of inferiority complex when it comes to Big D.

C'mon man, don't start this crap up.

Personally, I think this thread has become almost as stupid as the "who has more upscale stores" thread. Anyway, everybody knows The Big D rules, so rest easy. :huh:

C'mon man, don't start this crap up.

Personally, I think this thread has become almost as stupid as the "who has more upscale stores" thread. Anyway, everybody knows The Big D rules, so rest easy. :huh:

And remarks like that will just start this crap up.

Look, the Dallas vs Houston thing has been done to death, and it's way past expiration date. The topic is House of Blues in Dallas. It's not a comparison with Houston. Read the sub-forum warnings.

• 2 weeks later...
It is 64 now according to your local Morning News (of course who could believe the Dallas Morning News? Ask the folks responsible for their circulation figures :( ). Tonight, the low in DFW will be 44 (brrr). Tomorrow's forecast in Dallas: Light Showers Hi 50 Lo 49

Houston will be in the usual 70s with lows around 60. The wind off the water [probably from the Port of Houston] makes it feel cooler :lol:;):lol:

The discrepancy really didn't have anything to do with the DMN, its just they were reporting the Dallas temperature and I was reporting the official temperature, taken at DFW. If you were to look at the Dallas temperature though, you will more likely see the overnight low bottom out about 50, not 44*. The usual high for tomorrow for them is 70 (not 70s like in Houston), but you're going to have some deviation about the climatological average. In this case the coldest day since February.

Its probably time for Houston to have nicer weather for the latter half of March than Dallas though. The first was far better in Dallas. Same temps but much lower dewpoints and much more sun. Some of my Houstonian friends up for some photography were just loving the lack of humidity. We had a few "Houston-like" days however before this cold front hit and most everyone was miserable. It was weird, we've already had temps push up to near 100 in North Texas this winter, but those last few days with the high dewpoints felt uncomfortable while the hot dry days were nice. Of course, by late Spring we will get our share of those days but later winter is not supposed to be muggy like that here.

And to keep this on topic, it will be about 17

The first was far better in Dallas. Same temps but much lower dewpoints and much more sun.

You seem like a moron. Has Dallas resorted to generalizing Houston weather to feel better about itself? We have had beautiful sun all winter long. Please don't make me reiterate my weather experience when I lived in Dallas and experienced raining mud, a plague of crickets, flash fires, 115-degree AIR TEMPERATURE, tornadoes (plural), hail, ice storms and a dry prairie wind that I swear blew straight out of Hell (it was blowing out of Irving, I believe). This all occurred in the space of one year, by the way. Give me 94 degrees and humid anyday.

The weather has been sparkling here throughout almost the entire winter. Cloud-free days, almost no humidity and crisp, clear evenings. As far as I can tell, it's been almost identical to Dallas' winter, which is to say it has been exceptional, save for the occasional shower (2-3 days over the entire winter) that we had and the fact that, south of I-10, I don't believe we had a freeze this year. I think Dallas had a day or two of frozen precip, where we obviously did not.

Only a provencial Dallasite would believe that, since Dallas had an exceptionally mild winter, no one else had one.

You seem like a moron. Has Dallas resorted to generalizing Houston weather to feel better about itself? We have had beautiful sun all winter long. Please don't make me reiterate my weather experience when I lived in Dallas and experienced raining mud, a plague of crickets, flash fires, 115-degree AIR TEMPERATURE, tornadoes (plural), hail, ice storms and a dry prairie wind that I swear blew straight out of Hell (it was blowing out of Irving, I believe). This all occurred in the space of one year, by the way. Give me 94 degrees and humid anyday.

The weather has been sparkling here throughout almost the entire winter. Cloud-free days, almost no humidity and crisp, clear evenings. As far as I can tell, it's been almost identical to Dallas' winter, which is to say it has been exceptional, save for the occasional shower (2-3 days over the entire winter) that we had and the fact that, south of I-10, I don't believe we had a freeze this year. I think Dallas had a day or two of frozen precip, where we obviously did not.

Only a provencial Dallasite would believe that, since Dallas had an exceptionally mild winter, no one else had one.

I think you need to relax a bit, there is nothing in my post that warrants a name calling.

As to the question:

"Has Dallas resorted to generalizing Houston weather to feel better about itself?"

The reason I generalize weather, which I do across the US, is because I study climate for both fun and occasionally business.

You can find my highly objective summaries of the climates of the two cities in another thread. In these particular posts, I stated some objective facts then the dicussion veered off into very recent weather rather than climate. I then stated some facts about the weather this month, and added a subjective comment about the perception of that weather. I then stated that if the climalogical norms hold out, that Houston should end up with a superior month overall. Had it not been an exception, it would not have been mentioned.

And to the comment:

"Only a provencial Dallasite would believe that, since Dallas had an exceptionally mild winter, no one else had one."

I know which cities had a mild winter. In fact right above your post I actually gave objective information showing that Houston, in particular, was having a mild first half of March. I know which cities experienced winters that would look mild on the whole, but which were broken up periods of extreme weather that merely averaged out to near normal. I know where the percentile of sunny, partly cloudy, and cloudy days worked out for the period of winter that has passed for each major city in Texas. I know how the traditional microclimates have held up in Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta for this current winter. I think *you* need to gather a little more information before you tell me what *I* believe.

I'm sorry though, that you felt it so offensive that the topic of weather was discussed after it was brought up.

Jason

The House of Blues in Dallas and Houston will have fantastic patio weather 300 days a year. The handful of "better" winter days in Houston is going to be balanced out by "better" non-rainy days in Dallas, what's the dif.

Looking at the two HOB venues - Houston v. Dallas, the entertainment value could end better at the one in Dallas only if they have the good sense to build a roof top lounge; the Pavilions renderings do not indicate that amenity. Otherwise, it's going to be the same bands, the same franchised atmosphere, the same downtown setting, the same crowd - maybe that's why it's so easy to divert so much energy into the pep rally.

I think you need to relax a bit, there is nothing in my post that warrants a name calling.

As to the question:

"Has Dallas resorted to generalizing Houston weather to feel better about itself?"

The reason I generalize weather, which I do across the US, is because I study climate for both fun and occasionally business.

You can find my highly objective summaries of the climates of the two cities in another thread. In these particular posts, I stated some objective facts then the dicussion veered off into very recent weather rather than climate. I then stated some facts about the weather this month, and added a subjective comment about the perception of that weather. I then stated that if the climalogical norms hold out, that Houston should end up with a superior month overall. Had it not been an exception, it would not have been mentioned.

And to the comment:

"Only a provencial Dallasite would believe that, since Dallas had an exceptionally mild winter, no one else had one."

I know which cities had a mild winter. In fact right above your post I actually gave objective information showing that Houston, in particular, was having a mild first half of March. I know which cities experienced winters that would look mild on the whole, but which were broken up periods of extreme weather that merely averaged out to near normal. I know where the percentile of sunny, partly cloudy, and cloudy days worked out for the period of winter that has passed for each major city in Texas. I know how the traditional microclimates have held up in Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta for this current winter. I think *you* need to gather a little more information before you tell me what *I* believe.

I'm sorry though, that you felt it so offensive that the topic of weather was discussed after it was brought up.

Jason

You need a girlfriend and/or boyfriend in the worst possible way.

You too, Montrose.

Ignoring dalparadise's attempt to drag this thread back into the gutter, tamtagon, I wonder if 'patio weather' will matter to either location. Clearly, the Houston HOB could build an open patio or rooftop lounge, as the building doesn't even exist yet. However, the renderings do not suggest it is planned. I don't know what the Dallas building looks like, and whether it could accomodate outdoor seating, but if the Houston drawings are any indication, the HOB management does not consider outdoor seating a priority, so we should not expect it in Dallas either.

Never having been inside a HOB, I don't know what their priorities are, other than the obvious 1800 seat venue. But, having lived in both Dallas and Houston, I DO know how much both cities' residents love to flock to outdoor patios whenever weather even remotely permits it...most likely because we're stuck inside our air-conditioned buildings for too long not to.

I wish Dallas the best, but damn, I wish for something exclusive for just one place. What do both cities have to do to ensure that?

I hear you DJ, but the HOB ceased to be exclusive the day it became a chain.

Coming from an older native Houstonian, I have no problem with what Dallas has or will get.

It's not glamorous but we do have some exclusive things Dallas doesn't have:

JSC

TMC

3 major league sports teams that actually play IN Houston-not in Arlington or Irving.

PoH

More theatre seating than any US city except NYC.

Like I said: not glamorous-just exclusive and something I'm extremely proud of.

B)

I don't know what the Dallas building looks like...

I DO know how much both cities' residents love to flock to outdoor patios ...

It's an old brick rectangular warehouse, 3 or 4 stories tall (I think...) - flat roof and perfect for getting tipsy and looking at the tall buildings in between sets or whatever. I've been to the HOB in Hollywood, and vaguely remember drinking (and drinking and drinking) outside, but who knows if their inclination is to include outdoor areas with new locations. I hope so, I'm part of the outdoor patio flock, I love it.

This whole thread is beyond rediculous. Who gives a crap about the HOB? Sure it's nice to have one, but as Red said and I summarize, it's just another chain store.

Give me something original to brag about.

Exactly. Houston and Dallas are really fighting over scraps on this one. Orlando and Myrtle Beach already each have a House of Blues. Orlando! Myrtle Beach!

Exactly. Houston and Dallas are really fighting over scraps on this one. Orlando and Myrtle Beach already each have a House of Blues. Orlando! Myrtle Beach!

I think the reason Dallas may be excited over the project, is not because it is anything terribly unique or exciting, it is the location. Its in the perfect spot to help tie in downtown in with victory and uptown. If this had been in west village, galleria, or say Addison it wouldn't have nearly the excitement.

Jason

As to the question:

"I'm sorry though, that you felt it so offensive that the topic of weather was discussed after it was brought up.

Jason

First of all, i want to compliment you JasonDFW on the way you handled the situation with dalparadise. I commend the way you were able to put dal in his place without having to have to get ugly or resort back to namecalling. Kudos!

Second, i want to say i was in Dallas this past weekend from Saturday thru Monday and it rained the ENTIRE weekend, non-stop. Everyone always talks about Houston getting so much rain, Dallas isn't neccessarily paradise either. I talk to my cousin and my girlfriend everyday who both live in Houston and they both say that they can count on one hand the amount of times that its rained in Houston this entire Fall/Winter season. I asked them if there had been any days where it rained constantly just like my experience in Dallas and they both say that there weren't any days where it just rained all day long without a break. They said the closest it came to that was NBA All-Star Weekend. Not bad for rain prone Houston.

First of all, i want to compliment you JasonDFW on the way you handled the situation with dalparadise. I commend the way you were able to put dal in his place without having to have to get ugly or resort back to namecalling. Kudos!

Second, i want to say i was in Dallas this past weekend from Saturday thru Monday and it rained the ENTIRE weekend, non-stop. Everyone always talks about Houston getting so much rain, Dallas isn't neccessarily paradise either. I talk to my cousin and my girlfriend everyday who both live in Houston and they both say that they can count on one hand the amount of times that its rained in Houston this entire Fall/Winter season. I asked them if there had been any days where it rained constantly just like my experience in Dallas and they both say that there weren't any days where it just rained all day long without a break. They said the closest it came to that was NBA All-Star Weekend. Not bad for rain prone Houston.

The guy summarizes weather reports for entertainment and passes off generalizations as scientific data. It put me to sleep, not in my place.

You need better game, C2H.

The guy summarizes weather reports for entertainment and passes off generalizations as scientific data. It put me to sleep, not in my place.

You need better game, C2H.

Yeah...well, I would suggest this "dalparidise" get a game before she/he summarizes any thing-much less the weather before ragging on C2H.

B)

How is either city going to keep an original identity if we both have too much infrastructure and entertainment venues in common? I wish Dallas the best, but damn, I wish for something exclusive for just one place. What do both cities have to do to ensure that?

There is a different identity, just look around. Yea, sure, the chain venues are the same. That's why they're chains. But they are the same with other cities too. Differences? There is simply a different "vibe" here. Being a Port city by itself gives Houston a different attitude. Having Galveston Bay at our boundary creates a very different way of life. Just head out towards the Bay Area, and see the hundereds of recreational boats all over the place. Or, hit the grittier side of the boardwalk area, before the bridge with all the small family owned shrimp houses and river rat joints. Our boardwalk is a little commercial, but at least we have one, where we can be right on the water. We have the freak''n space program here. Our medical industry is a city within a city, a universe in itself. Our sports infrastructure is awesome, quite a different scale to the Dallas sports feel. Houston has a very gritty industrial feel to it in general. Just get on any of the three huge bridges over the Port, and look around in any direction. There is more heavy industry concentrated in the east end than anywhere in the United States. And the best difference, is that there is just this general lack of control around here, always being within the brink of turning into chaos. It just feels more crowded, always a stress running through the entire day. I like having 2.1 million people crammed into one city. Some people hate Houston for all these exact reasons. But I kinda' like it, and I'm not the only one.

It's all good.

Archived