John Kirby Mansion At 2006 Smith St.

mls1202

I used to live in Midtown and always passed by the Kirby House. Does anyone know what business or organization is there? There is no signage at all.

Probably some secret society planning to undermine urbanism in Midtown :)

I went to a fundraiser there a couple of years ago. At that time it was a law office. I would assume it has not changed since then. I do not remember if it was one firm or a bunch of attorneys sharing the office space. It was pretty nice inside

I used to live in Midtown and always passed by the Kirby House. Does anyone know what business or organization is there? There is no signage at all.

Probably some secret society planning to undermine urbanism in Midtown :)

The Kirby Mansion was built by the Kirby family of Kirby Lumber (and Kirby Drive). If I remember correctly, in the 1970 boom days it was purchased by a small independent oil company for their offices saving it from demolition. I don't know who owns it now. It's a great piece of Houston history even if it's in a tough location.

• 8 months later...

I found this photo at http://www.houstonhistory.com/poduct2/album3/jsalbum.html

There it is referred to as the Inglenook, John Henry Kirby House, 2006 Smith Street at Pierce Avenue. It was originally built in 1893-94, remodeled 1807-1900, and then incorporated into a new house 1925.

kirbyhouse.jpg

Edited by enviromain

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Yeah, so perhaps the thread title isn't as catchy as "dead skunk in the middle of the road" ... but you gotta start somewhere!

So there's this house I see, on my rare voyages into downtown to get cheese from the big Spec's. I'll be heading out of Spec's, so southwest on Smith until I get to 59, and just after I pass under the Pierce Elevated, on my right is this huge gorgeous old house.

I am positive someone here has the skinny on it, what it is and what it was and how old it is and all that interesting info.

(Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if there's already a thread on it and I just can't ID the sucka.)

Thanks, y'all!

Your directions seem impossible. If you're heading out of Spec's and going SW on Smith toward 59, you're not going to pass under Pierce Elevated, because Spec's is SW of Pierce Elevated...perhaps you mean a different house by 527 Spur or something?

Edited by kylejack

Didn't it used to be a Boy Scouts headquarters?

I believe it was the Red Cross headquarters years ago - remember attending a meeting there when I taught in Houston ISD. At that time, most of the original interior features were gone or covered up in a mid-century modernization attempt, but I remember seeing part of a bathroom wall with some fantastic tiles.

My mother lived in Houston during the early years of the last century and recounted that, when the Kirby mansion was newly built, it had a natatorium where nude swimming parties took place.

The Guide says that Mr. Kirby and his family lived on this site from 1897, but in 1925 they replaced their Victorian house with this "rambling, 36-room English manor house" designed by James Ruskin Bailey. It has apparently been used for offices since 1948. James Ruskin Bailey was busy in the 1920s. He also did the education wing of First Methodist Church, a bank building downtown, and additions to Eastwood (later Lantrip) Elementary School.

Having said that, I agree with kylejack that Kristin may mean one of the buildings he posted near Spur 527 instead of the Kirby house, which is north of Spec's.

Edited by marmer

• 9 years later...