Nasher Sculpture Garden

• 2 months later...

I visited the Nasher this past week and thought it was great. Houston visitors should definitely check it out... just a little notice though - it costs to get in (above and beyond what it costs to get into the DMA). Not a free attraction - which is cool - just have some cash if you expect to see it.

Congratulations, Dallas, on a job well done and being able to maintain the Nasher collection within the city. There were many museums around the world that wanted that collection and made attempts to snag it... including the Tate in London. Dallas was fortunate to have some leaders with foresight to make sure that didn't happen, as well as a dedicated local resident (Nasher) who stayed committed to his town.

I hope people realize how truly fortunate we are here in Texas to have some really terrific art museums and spaces - the MFA and Menil here in Houston, the DMA and Nasher Sculpture Garden in Dallas, and the Kimball and Modern Art Museum in Fort Worth.

I love the Nasher. Again, these are all my pictures, except for the very last. Just a request, not to sound like an *** or anything, I've already made myself one on the "Dallas #3" thread, but could you please provide credit where credit is due? I find my photos all over the internet and it's very dissapointing how they slip into public domain. I really am not very keen on plastering them with watermarks, or placing restrictions on their usage. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Striding into view

Go to the article and find a link to the photos for this piece of art. Real interesting.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...sher.691d1.html

12:24 PM CST on Wednesday, March 23, 2005

By JANET KUTNER / The Dallas Morning News

Jonathan Borofsky sets his sights high, really high. Walking to the Sky, a 100-foot-tall sculpture depicting seven life-size figures striding up a sharply inclined pole, goes on view today at the Nasher Sculpture Center. It will be on display for 12 months.

Also Online

Photos: New art at Nasher

Interactive: About Nasher

Set against a bright blue sky, with the soaring Dallas skyline in the background, it is a sight to behold, visible from blocks away, of people from all walks of life moving in a positive direction. Three additional figures, a father and son holding hands and a teenage boy in a baseball cap, gaze up from the ground, seemingly as awestruck as spectators are likely to be.

"It's even more amazing than I expected," Zane Aveton said at Tuesday's installation, which was hampered by strong winds that forced several delays. She'd wandered in with her 9-month-old son, Beau, who watched from his stroller.

They had to leave before the piece was complete. Work wasn't finished until 7:40 p.m.

The sculpture has been displayed only once, at Rockefeller Center in New York for five weeks last fall. Mr. Borofsky, a internationally acclaimed artist who lives in Ogunquit, Maine, has lent it to the Nasher Center for a year.

If benefactor Raymond Nasher (right) decides to buy the $1 million-plus piece, it will join a dozen other Borofskys in his collection of modern masterworks that rotate through the center. "It's very spiritual," Mr. Nasher said.

Famous for works that humanize public spaces, Mr. Borofsky has monumental sculptures around the world: a Walking Man in Munich, Germany; a Singing Man in Tokyo; a Molecule Man in Los Angeles; and the lone figures of Man Walking to the Sky and Woman Walking to the Sky in Kassel, Germany, and Strasbourg, France, respectively.

All are self-portraits in a sense, but all have universal meaning. The 20-foot-tall Hammering Man, a popular feature in the Nasher garden since the center opened in October 2003, represents a salt-of-the-earth laborer. Inside the building, a Chattering Man nervously spouts the word "Chatter, chatter, chatter" repeatedly. A Flying Figure peers down from above, the personification of freedom.

"I've always been interested in flying dreams," Mr. Borofsky said. "You can't suspend figures from the sky, but you can get some of that feeling by creating a line they walk up."

Earlier in his career, Mr. Borofsky balanced his free-wheeling, dream-oriented thinking by counting. It served a dual purpose. Each time he finished an artwork, he signed it with whatever number he happened to be on that day

I visited the Nasher this past week and thought it was great. Houston visitors should definitely check it out... just a little notice though - it costs to get in (above and beyond what it costs to get into the DMA). Not a free attraction - which is cool - just have some cash if you expect to see it.

Congratulations, Dallas, on a job well done and being able to maintain the Nasher collection within the city. There were many museums around the world that wanted that collection and made attempts to snag it... including the Tate in London. Dallas was fortunate to have some leaders with foresight to make sure that didn't happen, as well as a dedicated local resident (Nasher) who stayed committed to his town.

I hope people realize how truly fortunate we are here in Texas to have some really terrific art museums and spaces - the MFA and Menil here in Houston, the DMA and Nasher Sculpture Garden in Dallas, and the Kimball and Modern Art Museum in Fort Worth.

I agree with you coment. There is too much Dallas vs Houston bashing going on here. We should realize that Houston and Dallas are great, vibrant cities that have much to offer. We are Texans first and foremost.

Archived