Niche and I were there, saw musicman too - interesting and very long film. I really liked the Almeda short, too!

Yes, it was VERY interesting. I saw a few people in the film that I knew, including relatives, and kept on trying to see if my house was in it. Seems like every time they'd do a pan of the houses in the vicinity of mine, they'd cut into the pan right at the point that mine would up, show someone talking, and then cut back into the pan as if there was no interruption of the pan and show the houses immediately after mine. Where did you and Niche sit? I was on the last row in the center section.

yep along with the user formerly known as danax. you timed it just right. there was a delay after an elderly lady fell down the stairs in the theater.

i must say it was really enjoyable. the residents' comments were quite candid. their negative comments towards realtors was interesting as was the racist diatribe given by sheila jackson lee and her husband elwyn. i did enjoy the ending quite a bit. everything does go full circle.

Sev and I were upper left. We came in late enough to avoid the paramedics and to get in free and just in time for the speaker to introduce the Almeda Theater film.

i must say it was really enjoyable. the residents' comments were quite candid. their negative comments towards realtors was interesting as was the racist diatribe given by sheila jackson lee and her husband elwyn. i did enjoy the ending quite a bit. everything does go full circle.

Yep, when the discussion started up about Sam Felt and all the other shysters, I thought of Musicman on HAIF talking smack about fluffy bunnys and about just how well-deserved the term can be in so many cases.

--------------------------------------------------

One of the more interesting perspectives on the neighborhood from my end was that I'd dated a gal for a long time that had been going to Lockhart Elementary in the year that the documentary was made (and I re-confirmed that later this afternoon). Her perspective was an interesting one, being a mixed-black/german living in Riverside Terrace (formerly a largley Jewish neighborhood) with her white/german grandmother in 1987. Her grandmother and black grandfather had been among the monied black families that had moved there in the 60's to raise a family.

In the two years that she was enrolled at Lockhart, she'd get beat up, have her hair pulled, have her stuff stolen or extorted from her, and find thumbtacks on her seat on a regular basis. She reported that the teachers and administrators at the school were crazy strict and quick to paddle, but in a pretty random way. They'd never respond to any of her problems.

It was made explicitly known to her that the reason she was being tormented was because she was a 'yellowbones' and had a white grandmother that picked her up from school. Seems that the worst of it came from the kids that lived in Cuney Homes. Additionally, although she wasn't the only 'yellowbones' on campus, she was a middle shade, apparently too dark for the lighter ones and too light for the darker ones. Whoever it had been in the movie that touched on there being a heirarchy among blacks that is completely invisible to whites really was spot on, although I don't think that the makers of the documentary fully understood the complex underlying sociological ramifications.

She's told me before that her family and many other of the better-off black households always resented Sheila Jackson Lee for her divisive politics and a political machine based upon the support of the poor. It was insulting for them that Lee pretended to speak for the "black community" as though it were a homogenous mass when it most certainly was not, and especially that dissenting opinions were dismissed completely as not existing to keep up the appearance of unanimity. They also didn't like that Lee believed that the neighborhood was a focal point for black culture or that any effort might be made to prevent regentrification by non-blacks...not only because it went against their moral beliefs but because keeping anybody out amounts to less demand for homes and thus lower property values in a black neighborhood. To a few black property owners, Lee was a traitor to her kind.

Yeah, Shelia Jackson Lee isn't as loved by the community as much as she thinks she is. Word on the street is that someone's planning to run against her, possibly former Congressman Craig Washington who lost his seat to her in 1994.

It was insulting for them that Lee pretended to speak for the "black community" as though it were a homogenous mass when it most certainly was not, and especially that dissenting opinions were dismissed completely as not existing to keep up the appearance of unanimity. They also didn't like that Lee believed that the neighborhood was a focal point for black culture or that any effort might be made to prevent regentrification by non-blacks...not only because it went against their moral beliefs but because keeping anybody out amounts to less demand for homes and thus lower property values in a black neighborhood. To a few black property owners, Lee was a traitor to her kind.

the comments by the younger black guy i found very interesting as well. he said that the black people brought the neighborhood down. he said the jewish people taught them to make money so the blacks came in and brought the properties while they were cheap and the beautiful homes were converted into multiunit apartments so that they could make money by renting them.

the anecdote by the older white lady concerning redistricting was humorous. she got called to an emergency meeting on redistricting. the subject was how redistricting would hurt black influence. she said "there are still whites here too". lol

Yep, when the discussion started up about Sam Felt and all the other shysters, I thought of Musicman on HAIF talking smack about fluffy bunnys and about just how well-deserved the term can be in so many cases.

you sure could tell how 20/25 yrs later this was a sore subject to residents, current and former. realtors driving black families through the neighborhood slowly so that current residents would see this and then the realtors would ask the residents if they were ready to sell.

sam felt sure had guts. residents figured out that he had two types of realtor signs. when his full name was on the sign, people knew that the house would only be sold to whites. if a partial name was there, it could be sold to blacks.

I've heard about this movie for years. Hated to miss the showing. Would like to have met some of you. Sounded like an interesting discussion. Would liked to have heard the perspectives. I have to say that I've been through the neighborhood lately. It has some wonderfully preserved homes. Much as I remember it growing up. Somebody is still doing something RIGHT! No matter what their ethnic background is.

Does anyone know if we can by that movie yet? Brazos BkStore?

I had tickets to see it but saw that the time was over three hours!! I'm gonna wait to see it on DVD....the only time I've been able to sit thru a film that long was when I saw a Godfather marathon...and even then I could't get thru all 3 films!

I had tickets to see it but saw that the time was over three hours!! I'm gonna wait to see it on DVD....the only time I've been able to sit thru a film that long was when I saw a Godfather marathon...and even then I could't get thru all 3 films!

It was a bit long (the entire section on the psychiatric hospital could have been cut out, IMO), but well worth viewing. My partner is black and I'm white, and so he had a lot to say in the car ride home (about the black cultural hierarchy, disgust with Jackson Lee's politics, etc.). There were definitely some comments from people that were tough to listen to, but the generational differences accounted for much of it.

I am curious about the man who broke down and cried when recalling the time his daughter asked if she could bring home her black friend from college. Was he embarrassed that he had hesitated before saying yes she could bring her home? Or that she had a black friend? i think I missed something!

I am curious about the man who broke down and cried when recalling the time his daughter asked if she could bring home her black friend from college. Was he embarrassed that he had hesitated before saying yes she could bring her home? Or that she had a black friend? i think I missed something!

I didn't quite get that either. Perhaps the makers of the documentary thought that including footage of a crying man would help them get an award, or something.

It was a bit long (the entire section on the psychiatric hospital could have been cut out, IMO), but well worth viewing.

What's funny is that UT tried to encroach further into the neighborhood with a psychiatric outpatient center earlier this decade. I remember the man in the blue shirt in the film suggested if the community owned the land, that wouldn't have happened. Well, in this case, UT claimed "imminent domain" and bought the Wright Morrow property on S. MacGregor. The 5 story complex would have been an eyesore and brought more traffic into the neighborhood. We fought it, because there were a few well documented incidents of escaped hospital patients running though the neighborhood, including one who swam across the bayou twice and got arrested almost in our back yard. UT finally relented and decided to place the property in the TMC "proper". It was a double edged sword though, UT sold the property to a developer who tore down the historic Wright Morrow mansion and started construction on some "luxury townhomes" starting at $500,000. In the past few months however, construction on the units has stalled, leaving an unsightly, weed grown property surrounded by a chain link fence containing freshly laid roads and water lines sprouting out of the ground.

Edited by JLWM8609

i just thought he came to realization that his morals weren't as high as he thought they were.

i went with two friends. after hearing about the film a couple of times on this board, i'm really glad i finally got to see it. long, yes, but very interesting.

there was an older (50's - 60's, i'd guess) couple sitting on my right side - the female was black & the male was white. when the older white lady in the film was telling the story about how they wanted to buy in river oaks but didn't ever have their calls returned, and she said that they heard from others that it was because they were jewish - the lady next to me said "hmph .. duh!"

the father that broke down crying when telling the story about his daughter wanting to bring her friend home happened right before the little 'break' in the film, correct? when the projectionist had to spool the next reel, or fix it, or whatever - there was a minute or so of nothing before it started back up. that probably intensified the effect of his story. i just saw it as some sort of catharsis, too. feelings that were probably pent up for a very long time.

the couple that ruled the roost from the living room of the house they'd designed ... from what i could see of it in the film, that's a gorgeous house!

niche & sev - did you guys sit in maybe the 2nd row down? we were upper left, too, and i remember a male & female coming in just before everything started. we were in the very back row and i think you guys may have sat just in front & to the right of us.

niche & sev - did you guys sit in maybe the 2nd row down? we were upper left, too, and i remember a male & female coming in just before everything started. we were in the very back row and i think you guys may have sat just in front & to the right of us.

Yep, that was us.

I was at the film, and I, too, had been trying to find a way to see this for years. My Mother grew up in and was friends with many of the wealthy families of Riverside. I am Jewish, and the film had an important message for me and those who are not of my faith. I observed several things - as Jews, we had always been snubbed and pushed aside - cast offs. Yet, and this is not the first time I have noticed this with those of my faith, the Jews of Riverside were guilty of the very same thing. How ironic - and I noticed that this then occurred with the residents of Riverside Terrace after the tide began to turn and other minorities were moving in. I think all of us want to create a place and a living enviornment where we can feel safe and live with those similar to us, but the best part is that this neighborhood now welcomes many diverse groups. I find the history of this area to be fascinating and rich - I find the homes to be magnificant - and I find the fact that many of these "palaces", that remain standing yet abandoned, to be truly tragic.

I purchased the film, and I would welcome the opportunity to screen it for anyone who was not able to come see the film on Sunday. The good thing is that the film is on two DVD's, so the viewing can be broken up. Although the movie was very long, it held my interest almost the entire length of the film.

Yep - we were running a bit late (but actually on time, it seemed)

I purchased the film, and I would welcome the opportunity to screen it for anyone who was not able to come see the film on Sunday. The good thing is that the film is on two DVD's, so the viewing can be broken up. Although the movie was very long, it held my interest almost the entire length of the film.

I agree - I wasn't sure how I (and my attention span) would hold up, but I only got fidgety a couple times :)

for history sake...did Jews consider themselves "white" when it only came to dealing with blacks or they differentiated themselves from all cultures in Houston?

Considering their history, I would find it hard to believe they would look down on blacks since both suffered horrible fates at one time....

I don't believe so. In my opinion, the climate during this time period was a very segregated one all over the area - not just in Riverside Terrace, and not just the Jewish residents of that area. If you look at what was happeing, this upper middle class area was changing - the bigger changes of course when developers came in and subdivided large mansions into apartments, leading to property value decreases, along with the tearing down of these grand homes, and building lower end apartment complexes without A/C, which drove the families outside at night, to keep cooler during the summer months, and then scurrying around the neighborhood causing unrest, vandalism, etc. Most people would be angry at this situation, and would want to leave the area, as it was certainly deteriorating. I don't think this had anything to do with Jewish people "wanting to be white". I am Jewish - this is my faith. My race is white. One has nothing to do with the other.

If you want to see a true example of the change that occurred in Riverside, head back down N. MacGregor Way toward 288. On your left (west), there will be a street called Bayou Bend -a cul-de-sac. This was a circle of grand homes (possibly including the Sakowitz home, which burned and was subsequently torn down), and look what was built in this place. The mansions had a prime view of Buffalo Bayou. Now there is a low income apartment complex, next to an abandoned and boarded up mansion.

building lower end apartment complexes without A/C, which drove the families outside at night, to keep cooler during the summer months, and then scurrying around the neighborhood causing unrest, vandalism, etc.

lol so not having a/c results in vandalism?

I don't believe so. In my opinion, the climate during this time period was a very segregated one all over the area - not just in Riverside Terrace, and not just the Jewish residents of that area. If you look at what was happeing, this upper middle class area was changing - the bigger changes of course when developers came in and subdivided large mansions into apartments, leading to property value decreases, along with the tearing down of these grand homes, and building lower end apartment complexes without A/C, which drove the families outside at night, to keep cooler during the summer months, and then scurrying around the neighborhood causing unrest, vandalism, etc. Most people would be angry at this situation, and would want to leave the area, as it was certainly deteriorating. I don't think this had anything to do with Jewish people "wanting to be white". I am Jewish - this is my faith. My race is white. One has nothing to do with the other.

If you want to see a true example of the change that occurred in Riverside, head back down N. MacGregor Way toward 288. On your left (west), there will be a street called Bayou Bend -a cul-de-sac. This was a circle of grand homes (possibly including the Sakowitz home, which burned and was subsequently torn down), and look what was built in this place. The mansions had a prime view of Buffalo Bayou. Now there is a low income apartment complex, next to an abandoned and boarded up mansion.

Um, wouldn't that be Brays Bayou?