• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I imagine once the main construction on the structure and roof is finished and the building is airtight they will start on the interiors which is where any restaurant would go. It's construction is probably several months or longer off.

40 minutes ago, marstrose said:

Do we know if the construction on the restaurant has started?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rechlin said:

Another photo update, this time from a moving bus.  I noticed that the dozens of signs on the fence that used to say "Opening 2019" have had the "19" cut out, so presumably this is behind schedule and not opening until 2020.

pCVKOst.jpg

tZxOzUo.jpg

PT8z6ED.jpg

Please tell me they plan on cladding that raw concrete with something. 

Given the many examples of how concrete ages, anyone who commissions, designs or constructs a raw-concrete façade is guilty of aesthetic malpractice.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Angostura said:

Given the many examples of how concrete ages, anyone who commissions, designs or constructs a raw-concrete façade is guilty of aesthetic malpractice.

From the renderings it looks like it will probably some kind of custom metal panel rain screen system. This would also give them enough room/space to add lighting within the screen itself giving it that "glowing" look they had in the nighttime render. Looked like the interior lobby spaces would be concrete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angostura said:

There are lots of rendering and picture of models in this thread that indicate that it will not be exposed concrete on the exterior. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 12:57 PM, Angostura said:

According to the MFAH website, mfah.org, the building will have the following features:

“• Gathered under a “luminous canopy” roof, the concave curves reference the billowing clouds that fill the “big sky” of Texas
Vertical, translucent-glass tubes cladding the facades
• Two floors and 54,000 square feet of galleries circling a three-level atrium space, with the distinctive roof allowing natural light to flood the central spaces
• The 202-seat Lynn and Oscar Wyatt Theater; a restaurant; and a café
• Seven gardens and six reflecting pools inset along the building’s perimeter”

• Like 2

When I thought about tubes I remembered the facade at the Dallas Center for Performing Arts. Found these on google images.

The difference is that they used aluminum tubes. Ours will be glass and glow at night.

6DbYHQH.jpg

5hwTzjb.jpg

It probably won't look exactly like this, but this is a good base to set expectations for now.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 4