13 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chicagoinc/ct-met-houston-bean-0328-chicago-inc-20180327-story.html

Hilarious article in the Chicago Tribune. They are sounding very insecure...

reading the comments is a much more worthwhile endeavor. a couple of my favorites:

"Kapoor is obviously interested in selling overpriced Mirrored Monoliths to any and all takers. This version couldn't be creepier if Sigourney Weaver and Ridley Scott attended the dedication ceremony."

"I don't think they moved from Chicago. Odds are they were shot." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chicagoinc/ct-met-houston-bean-0328-chicago-inc-20180327-story.html

Hilarious article in the Chicago Tribune. They are sounding very insecure...

That's probably one of the worst titles I've seen in an article this year.

The "Reporter" sounds like a resentful, hateful b*tch almost to the point where I question if she is being sarcastic or ironic.

If we are really that irrelevant and a "cultural abyss" then you don't talk about it, because its not worth talking about. People need to understand the definitions of the words they are using. Something spell check doesn't fix! I don't even care if this is an opinion piece. A person who is associated with a paper should be professional and literate.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

I detect a chip on this Chicagoan shoulder.

Personally I love visiting Chicago. Nevertheless the fact is in the last seven years our MSA added 945,000 people and theirs 61,700. Huge numbers of people find us a much more attractive place to live. Maybe instead of childish put downs they should study why this is so. In the meantime they better get ready to be passed up.

Edited by Twinsanity02
error
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Go see the new building. It's remarkable! The plaza is perfect. Once the  landscaping has time to take hold, it will soften the plaza, The building has such a powerful presence with its large angled concrete walls and glass in such a mesmerizing  pattern, kind of abstract sculpture. 

I really liked the repurposing of the glass blocks from the old Glassell school in a transition wall from the sculpture garden into the Plaza.

The Kapoor sculpture is perfect in the space, and the way it relates to the building,  and the water. The water feature is a pleasant break before entering an incredibly interesting interior space.

The natural lighting in this building is remarkable. All of the very clean studios have a wonderful luminescence emanating from the large windows sheathed in white. The main lobby and grand stairwell are almost overwhelming. Could be used as a great indoor amphitheater or concert space.  The second floor exhibition space is clean and hung with works being auctioned by CORE grads. It's a very nice selection. Rode the elevator to The Rooftop, and it's, well you just have to go up there. It's huge!. What a place for a party. The views of downtown and the med center are excellent and we had drinks on the roof. No waivers required.

We walked down the ramp roof, and it's covered in jasmine, with very easy steps and nice rails. Theres another outdoor amphitheater built into the ramp of wooden steps and use as seating.

The food and drinks were over the top. Wish I could share images. Don't miss it Sunday.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, bobruss said:

Go see the new building. It's remarkable! The plaza is perfect. Once the  landscaping has time to take hold, it will soften the plaza, The building has such a powerful presence with its large angled concrete walls and glass in such a mesmerizing  pattern, kind of abstract sculpture. 

I really liked the repurposing of the glass blocks from the old Glassell school in a transition wall from the sculpture garden into the Plaza.

The Kapoor sculpture is perfect in the space, and the way it relates to the building,  and the water. The water feature is a pleasant break before entering an incredibly interesting interior space.

The natural lighting in this building is remarkable. All of the very clean studios have a wonderful luminescence emanating from the large windows sheathed in white. The main lobby and grand stairwell are almost overwhelming. Could be used as a great indoor amphitheater or concert space.  The second floor exhibition space is clean and hung with works being auctioned by CORE grads. It's a very nice selection. Rode the elevator to The Rooftop, and it's, well you just have to go up there. It's huge!. What a place for a party. The views of downtown and the med center are excellent and we had drinks on the roof. No waivers required.

We walked down the ramp roof, and it's covered in jasmine, with very easy steps and nice rails. Theres another outdoor amphitheater built into the ramp of wooden steps and use as seating.

The food and drinks were over the top. Wish I could share images. Don't miss it Sunday.

Thats what I noticed about the building from these photos. it seems so abstract, yet it seems contextual when take into account its neighbor, the sculpture garden. Its as if the garden was a genesis for the building itself and informed the architecture. It definitely has a sculptural quality to it, yet from the plans i've seen it also seems well balanced with the practical needs of school. I will certainly be visiting this on Sunday!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Luminare said:

Thats what I noticed about the building from these photos. it seems so abstract, yet it seems contextual when take into account its neighbor, the sculpture garden. Its as if the garden was a genesis for the building itself and informed the architecture. It definitely has a sculptural quality to it, yet from the plans i've seen it also seems well balanced with the practical needs of school. I will certainly be visiting this on Sunday!

Something I focused on last night while walking across the plaza is how related the Chillida sculpture, that was moved from the Mecom Fountain side of the original museum to front and center in the plaza. The sculpture and building play a magical game of mimicry with the angles and materials so closely in line with each other. There is a harmony that develops between the building and that sculpture. I don't know if it was intentional but I like it. 

• Like 3