This project is controlled by local people tied to the museum. No out-of-town investors. Of course there could always be situations that force a scaling back of the design, but that wouldn't happen without a fight from the people involved. You don't hold an architecture competition staged over years if you are not serious about good architecture.

• Like 5

the only changes we are going to see in the design will be related to MAJOR constructability issues.  Lets say the slope on the green roof exceeds ADA requirements or they cant find a warrantable product for that slope.  Those are the changes we will see as more renderings come out.  With a client like this you do EVERYTHING you can to preserve the design intent AND budget without neutering the architects key elements.

People on here sometime think that any change to a concept rendering is evil, but it is honestly part of the design process.  As the design architects hand over their baby to project architects there are often changes made before the builder is even involved.

/end contractor rant 

• Like 1

the only changes we are going to see in the design will be related to MAJOR constructability issues.  Lets say the slope on the green roof exceeds ADA requirements or they cant find a warrantable product for that slope.  Those are the changes we will see as more renderings come out.  With a client like this you do EVERYTHING you can to preserve the design intent AND budget without neutering the architects key elements.

People on here sometime think that any change to a concept rendering is evil, but it is honestly part of the design process.  As the design architects hand over their baby to project architects there are often changes made before the builder is even involved.

/end contractor rant 

tl;dr version:  

Because this:

gezichtsbedrog_image.gif

• Like 1

/end contractor rant 

As far as the slope of that green roof as long as there is accessibility to the rooftop terrace via an elevator then the only thing that will matter is the minimal slope needed for a normal person to scale the roof from bottom to top. The only time ADA ramp dimensions come to play is when you are making floor changes that an elevator would be something you wouldn't want to use. I guarantee that this wouldn't have even been in the project if this was an issue. I mean it's a prominent feature of the building so I'm sure they were looking intently at codes for that.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

you would be amazed how often design architects ignore the laws of nature / science when pursuing projects.....

Initially yes, but as the design matures then these "laws" you speak of come into play.  I'd be much more surprised if Holl doesn't have a senior architect (or several) on board this project that isn't making sure the technical side of things will actually work and can actually be built!  It is not like he hasn't done this before all over the world.

But guess what... Holl, and others like him ARE who they are because of their crazy ideas and floating spaces.  Practical architects toil away for years and years with narry a magazine article devoted to them, and most move on with seldom a concern about preserving any of their designs.

• Like 2

Initially yes, but as the design matures then these "laws" you speak of come into play.  I'd be much more surprised if Holl doesn't have a senior architect (or several) on board this project that isn't making sure the technical side of things will actually work and can actually be built!  It is not like he hasn't done this before all over the world.

But guess what... Holl, and others like him ARE who they are because of their crazy ideas and floating spaces.  Practical architects toil away for years and years with narry a magazine article devoted to them, and most move on with seldom a concern about preserving any of their designs.

Exactly. They don't call them starchitects for nothing. They know how to build exactly what they create. Bar any weird programming hiccups like a forgot restroom or fire stair they usually get exactly what they want which is why you go after the big guys when you want this kind of project done. As far as I've seen from these renderings so far it looks very buildable you just have to surround yourself with a team that wants to put the full vision forward.

• Like 2

They have a General Contractor, too.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2015/02/05/general-contractor-selected-for-museum-of-fine.html

"...The Houston division of St. Louis-based McCarthy Building Companies Inc. said Feb. 5 that it has been awarded the project...

...Construction is expected to begin in July and is scheduled for completion in 2019. About 73 percent — or $330 million — of the fundraising goal has been raised..."

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Looks like there will be a public meeting about the new expansion tonight to address possible neighbor concerns and questions.

They are also going to show what the final product will look like.

http://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/news/the-mfah-expansion-what-arearesidents-should-know-beforehand/

Here's the new rendering.  They consulted with Midway and decided this would blend in better with the area:

article-1369460-0D4FDFA4000005DC-982_634

Edited by Gator Purify

wow you even failed in your joke...thats actually a very nice looking building. 

Ah, yes.  I knew I could count on Luminare to be negative and condescending.  I see a lot of jokes on HAIF that I would consider corny, but I don't waste my time ridiculing people for them because I'm not that narcissistic.  Lighten up.  It's not that deep.

P.S. - As has already been pointed out, it is a nice looking building, just not for a major art museum.  That's why I picked it.  Now you can continue crapping on everyone's posts.

• Like 5

I know we all like to pile it on, but back to the subject of the thread. Did anyone happen to go to the meeting at the Museum last

night and hear the time table and see the plans and model for the new campus? I was just curious when they are actually going to take down the Glassel and get things ramped up. Cant wait for this one.

• Like 1

Butthurt alert is off the charts!

Luminare and I have talked and the matter seems to be under the bridge.  I think he can fight his own battles.  No need for you to chime in. 

Now back to architecture.  Anybody attend the meeting?

Edited by Gator Purify
  • Like 3

yeah we worked things out. No big deal :P I just didn't think the joke was all that funny and commented in a way that was a bit.....dickish? Yeah it was a bit dickish lol. It was all a complete miscommunication.

But yeah I was hoping someone went to that meeting :( Cloud? Where is Cloud when you need him!?

• Like 1

But yeah I was hoping someone went to that meeting :( Cloud? Where is Cloud when you need him!?

Heh.. Unfortunately I was not able to make it. I really wanted to but I had other commitments last night. Didn't the Glassell come up on the demolition report a little while back, or am I making things up?

yeah we worked things out. No big deal :P I just didn't think the joke was all that funny and commented in a way that was a bit.....dickish? Yeah it was a bit dickish lol. It was all a complete miscommunication.

Surely the Chronicle covered the meeting, right?  Right?  Never mind...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

From today's MFAH email blast:

We welcome MFACafé, coming this fall! 

Paolo Fronza and Matteo Alessandri, formerly of Fellini Caffè, team up once again to bring an exciting new dining option to Houston. Their new, sophisticated café will offer Northern Italian-inspired fare when it opens this fall in the Museum's Audrey Jones Beck Building. 

In the meantime, freshly prepared sandwiches and salads are available at our temporary pop-up café now that Cafe Express service has ended. And as always, tasty bites continue to be served up daily by food trucks parked next to our Cullen Sculpture Garden.