I want our last museum building to be memorable, distinctive, splashy, so you can stand at the corner of Main and Binz and not feel you're surrounded by boxes.

I find it interesting that public architecture in Houston is rarely splashy, in contrast to our our neighbor to the north.  When they needed more space for their municipal offices, they went to I.M. Pei for a flashy building to replace their small, but cute classical city hall.  More or less at the same time, we decided to preserve our mediocre (in my opinion) Art Deco city hall and just build an annex in the Brutalist style, which was fashionable at the time.   Ironically (correct me if I'm wrong), but our annex seems like a cheap imitation of Pei's Boston City Hall.  Not that I'm such a big fan of Brutalist architecture, I just think it's interesting to consider the attitudes of our two cities, in terms of how strongly we are willing to pony up to pay for prime examples of whatever architecture fads are considered "cool" at the moment.

I like it that the recent museum designs in Houston (Piano's and Moneo's) get good reviews from some educated sources, despite not being flashy.  I like them, too.  But ... the relict teenager in me still yearns for a Kodak-moment (read postcard) edifice sometimes.  Is this feeling necessarily a bad thing?  I recall someone north of us referring to their Calatrava bridge as their city's Eiffel Tower.  Comparisons like that can sound kinda silly (especially when taken out of context, like here), but having comparisons like that does seem to fulfill a common human need.

• Like 1

I find it interesting that public architecture in Houston is rarely splashy, in contrast to our our neighbor to the north.  When they needed more space for their municipal offices, they went to I.M. Pei for a flashy building to replace their small, but cute classical city hall.  More or less at the same time, we decided to preserve our mediocre (in my opinion) Art Deco city hall and just build an annex in the Brutalist style, which was fashionable at the time.   Ironically (correct me if I'm wrong), but our annex seems like a cheap imitation of Pei's Boston City Hall.  Not that I'm such a big fan of Brutalist architecture, I just think it's interesting to consider the attitudes of our two cities, in terms of how strongly we are willing to pony up to pay for prime examples of whatever architecture fads are considered "cool" at the moment.

I like it that the recent museum designs in Houston (Piano's and Moneo's) get good reviews from some educated sources, despite not being flashy.  I like them, too.  But ... the relict teenager in me still yearns for a Kodak-moment (read postcard) edifice sometimes.  Is this feeling necessarily a bad thing?  I recall someone north of us referring to their Calatrava bridge as their city's Eiffel Tower.  Comparisons like that can sound kinda silly (especially when taken out of context, like here), but having comparisons like that does seem to fulfill a common human need.

No, this 'relic teenager' yearning/feeling for post card edifices is not a bad thing in any way. Houston definitely needs some more splash but dear God I hope THIS? isn't what they have in mind with the inverted triangle design for the new Glassell School of Art building.

• Like 1

I like it that the recent museum designs in Houston (Piano's and Moneo's) get good reviews from some educated sources, despite not being flashy.

Piano's design has been universally praised.  The Moneo wing however was much panned.  The issues weren't splashiness per se, they were more with it's relationship to the original wings (or lack of it), tacky detailing, relationship to the street (or lack of it), and overall big-box demeanor.  That is why going the starchitect route backfired on MFAH, and why I would be comfortable with a non-postcard-worthy new wing. 

I don't have a problem at all with occasional postcard-worthy architecture, I just don't think that MFAH is necessarily the right venue for it.

I'm definitely glad we saved and renovated our late-1930s city hall.  I enjoy the Art Deco aspect, even if its not the most spectacular example of that style.  OTOH, it is also interesting in its use of fossiliferous limestone on the facade ... which one also sees on buildings on the UH main campus and the San Jacinto Monument.  I haven't noticed that elsewhere in my travels; does anyone know if that was more from of a Texas thing in those years?

On a related note:  the Julia Ideson Building next door to City Hall has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid.  I'm so glad we still have it; we've lost so many cool old buildings from the late 19th and early 20th centuries here.  

Edited by ArchFan

• 2 months later...

Construction barricades that have created a traffic bottleneck on Montrose Boulevard in the Museum District are the earliest signs of progress coming to the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.

While the capital campaign for the museum's forthcoming expansion project - including a new building devoted to contemporary art - is still in the quiet phase, infrastructure work has begun on water mains and power lines in the area.

Some of the underground construction is "just necessary repairs" that will improve electricity in existing buildings, director Gary Tinterow said.

As for the new building coming from Steven Holl Architects, he said, "Everything is still Silly Putty at this point; still mutable as we test assumptions and look at the budget and materials."

Tinterow hopes to unveil plans for the new building by the end of 2014, "maybe early fall."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/arts-theater/article/Local-Art-scene-builds-on-creativity-5096673.php?cmpid=btfpm#/1

Edited by Urbannizer

• 1 year later...

Great news! Tomorrow the MFAH will unveil renderings and a full explanation for the new additions to the campus to the local media..

Then later in the week they'll make the presentation in NYC, to the national and international press.

They're going to open up the sculpture garden to the site and from my source the project will be more open with public spaces.

Cant wait to see whats going up! 

• Like 6

The person who told me has images but when I asked if I could see them the source said they didn't have their phone on them. Said it was amazing!

I asked them to forward me an image and if I get one today I'll definitely pass it on.

That was the best news I've heard this year!

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 5

Better than I expected and we get a bonus Lake Flato, on the roof of the parking garage with restaurants at the train station!

Underground parking to open up the grounds. Its brilliant! I'm also very excited to her about the importance of the inside and the light with reference to Piano's treatment of light. SWTSIG. This is an unabashed "GAME CHANGER!"

There, I said it also.

• Like 1

A big shoutout to Fayez Sarofim and the Kinders, along with the eight heavy lifters!

What a great city we are fortunate to live in with so many philanthropic families.

Can't wait to hear the buzz when this is announced in NYC later this week. Should be some nice print articles in Art in America, and ArtForum.

Probably some of the major arch. magazines. Like the Menil Drawing Institute, Buffalo Bayou park, the Herman Park gardens, and the announcement of Memorial Parks overhaul, these types of projects all are focused on quality of life issues that will go so far in creating a positive buzz for Houston and make all of our lives that much better!

Hurry up and make it happen! 

• Like 2

Monarch,

I liked your observation about the building appearing to "Breath".  Below is Steven Holl's water color "vision" that his team had to follow...or do something with.  Mmmmkay...

So, the design does not seem to be a huge statement, but it is gorgeous.  MFAH is a fantastic museum with a very impressive collection.  The art is what should steal the show...and this collection can do it (Unlike the Getty in LA).  The interior/gallery spaces are what will count. Tintow knows his stuff.  He will make this one of the Best museums to view the art, that there is.  I am impressed by the restraint and elegance of the renderings/design.  Like many of the very fine museums in Texas, by which it will be gauged.   It will really showcase at night, which is one of Holl's trademarks.   

Was expecting more about the Landscaping concept.  I guess we now have that, also, to look forward to. 

Can't wait to see more renderings. 

post-11710-0-90206000-1421169040.jpg

• Like 2