http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/05/31/museum-of-fine-arts-houstons-450m-expansion-hits.html

A considerable part of the Museum of Fine Arts Houston's $450 million campus redevelopment officially broke ground on May 31.

A formal groundbreaking ceremony was held for the Nancy and Rich Kinder Building, a 165,000-square-foot building that'll contain 54,000 square feet of gallery space, a 200-seat theater, a restaurant overlooking the campus' sculpture garden and an underground parking garage. It's the largest structure underway as part of the MFAH's 14-acre expansion to its Fayez S. Sarofim Campus. 

"This is not about us today," said Rich Kinder, board chairman of the MFAH and executive chairman of Houston-based Kinder Morgan Inc. "This is about a great project. … I'd argue it's transformational for Houston."

The building is set to deliver in late 2019 and is being built by St. Louis-based McCarthy Building Cos.

Kinder, whose foundation donated at least $50 million to the MFAH expansion, attended the building's groundbreaking ceremony alongside his wife and Kinder Foundation President Nancy Kinder, as well as Gary Tintertow, director of the MFAH; Anne Duncan, vice chairman of the MFAH and Steven Holl of New York-based Steven Holl Architects, which designed the Fayez S. Sarofim Campus master plan.

So far, $390 million of the campus' total cost of $450 million has been raised, Tintertow said at the building's groundbreaking.

The Nancy and Rich Kinder Building's perimeter will be lined with six small pools. It'll be connected to the 80,000-square-foot Glassell School of Art and the Caroline Wiess Law Building via two pedestrian tunnels. The Glassell School of Art, as well as the 36,000-square-foot Brown Foundation Inc. Plaza, are currently under construction and scheduled to open in January 2018.

The Sarah Campbell Blaffer Conservation Center, a 30,000-square-foot conservation center with studios and offices, will be built on top of a MFAH parking garage and should deliver in late 2018.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I hope everyone realizes how fortunate we are in Houston to have such a dynamic art community.

We just witnessed the opening of Match, a new arts venue, and Rice University's new art center. October will bring the opening of the much anticipated Drawing Center and new park and landscaping at the Menil and now the MFAH steps up huge with the new designs by Stephen Holl for the  Glassel school, and  new Contemporary exhibition space and the Lake Flato conservancy center atop the Beck garage.

These are the type of things that great cities are defined by. Not how tall their buildings are or how big the galleria is.

Its the opportunities for people to thrive that makes great cities. 

Just like the TMC, Buffalo Bayou park, and our growing community of higher education institutions that are all striving to become more responsible to the communities they serve.

Its a great time to live in Houston.

Which makes me having to move in a few months that much more sad :(

Edited by jmitch94
  • Like 2

We went to see sneak preview of the new Pipilotti Rist piece and its truly amazing. I highly recommend. By the way this is now part of the museums permanent collection. I'm getting ready to go back and take my grandson!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

We went to see sneak preview of the new Pipilotti Rist piece and its truly amazing. I highly recommend. By the way this is now part of the museums permanent collection. I'm getting ready to go back and take my grandson!

Ugh.. I'm jealous of all you members of the museum. I have a feeling it's going to be packed tomorrow. Yeah its awesome that both of the Pipilotti Rist installations are now part of the permanent collection. They will go great with the Kusama infinity room, that the museum bought before the exhibit last summer, over in the new Kinder building.

• Like 4

A couple of great purchases and definitely with the Kinder in mind. The Rist is huge and will create the kind of buzz that will bring everyone out.

They have cushions on the floor for people to lie down and watch the videos. The big screen videos are incredible and the audio is perfect.

Both this and the kusama piece are Transcendental.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2017 at 4:54 PM, cloud713 said:

Ugh.. I'm jealous of all you members of the museum. I have a feeling it's going to be packed tomorrow. Yeah its awesome that both of the Pipilotti Rist installations are now part of the permanent collection. They will go great with the Kusama infinity room, that the museum bought before the exhibit last summer, over in the new Kinder building.

Membership is cheap! (relatively)

I went to the preview also, and it is a great exhibit. Also took the chance to see the Mueck exhibit.

I noticed there is a model of the new building, didn't take a close look at it though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, slcowart416 said:

Is there a webcam for the Sarofim Building? They have one for Glassell. How does one find these webcams?

There is no Sarofim Building. I assume you're talking about the new 20th/21st century museum expansion that recently broke ground, which is the Kinder Building. The entirety of the museum complex is named the "Sarofim Campus" though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't see the base for this tower crane that went up, it was so close to the northern wall I couldn't see it. The easternmost base still waiting for a tower crane. The Museum may have 6 tower cranes unless they take down one of the others down to use elsewhere.

S5akIqa.jpg

H09uL9B.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...