• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, hindesky said:

They're going to have put it in high gear to finish in 4 months.

The "end date" stated on the TCEQ permit is not the completion of the building.  It merely indicates the date they expect to achieve final stabilization (with regard to storm water runoff).

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update for the site of Phase III:

http://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=9725&MeetingID=219

ORDINANCE finding and determining that public convenience and necessity no longer require the continued use of a 20-foot-wide water line easement; abandoning the easement to the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, the abutting owner, in consideration of: (A) its conveyance to the City of a 23-foot-wide water line easement; (B) its payment to the City of $300.00; and (C) other good and valuable consideration; located within Block 77 of the Turner's Addition, out of the Obedience Smith Survey, A-696, and Joseph Gamble Survey, A-309

Ordinance authorizing the abandonment and sale of: 1) platted Eugene Street (commonly known as Dickson Street), located along Lots 7 through 12, in exchange for conveyance to the City of: 1) a 50 foot-wide right-of-way easement for the extension of Leverkuhn Street, from Dickson Street north to Feagan Street; 2) a 5 foot-wide right-of-way easement along the southern portion of Feagan Street, from proposed Leverkuhn Street east to Waugh Drive; and 3) a variable width sanitary sewer easement along the western and southern portions of the applicant’s property, all located within the Mary L. Morse Addition and Joe Smalley Subdivision, Brunner Addition, out of the John Austin Survey, A-1.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Where is the "Montrose Parking Garage"? I am kind of confused. Obviously the church and the museum made a deal for the land. 

Where will the church parishioners park for church now?

Where will museum visitors park?

I believe that the new garage is built under the new Glassel. Thats what was going in underground.

The church parking is north of the church on a lot that the museum owned and traded to the church for the southern lot between the church and museum.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 3

Correct.  The new underground parking (underneath the under-construction new Glassell building) will be opened for parking on Monday, May 22.

The museum has owned the parking lot on which the new Kinder building will be constructed since 2007 and had an arrangement with the church to allow the church to use that parking on Sunday mornings.  I believe they will now allow the church to use the new underground garage on Sunday mornings.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Work for Phase III to begin May 22nd

Via email from the Museum Park Neighborhood Association:

0489_mfah_150120.jpg?itok=4I0BUr5t

Hell freaking yeah, this rivals 609 Main and Marriott Marquis for impact on the city. (Sorry I didn't mention ROD or any of the grocery/multi-family sandwiches.)

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Hell freaking yeah, this rivals 609 Main and Marriott Marquis for impact on the city. (Sorry I didn't mention ROD or any of the grocery/multi-family sandwiches.)

I agree 100% only in my mind this is even bigger because this is a public building that is going to be full of great art and wonderful spaces.

Its going to allow the Museum so much flexibility with the collection and how they exhibit work. It will give the Museum the room to do things like show so much of the modern and contemporary work that has been collected over the last 20 years and store away for this building.

Its going to be incredible. Now lets get on with it. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bobruss said:

I believe that the new garage is built under the new Glassel. Thats what was going in underground.

The church parking is north of the church on a lot that the museum owned and traded to the church for the southern lot between the church and museum.

Yes, the new underground garage is at 5101 Montrose. Museum members received a flyer in the mail about this earlier this week communicating that the current surface lot is closing after this weekend. After that, you will have to park in the new underground garage or the existing one on Fannin adjacent to the Beck Building. 

I have to admit that as much as I'm happy for the upcoming expansion of the museum, as a semi-regular filmgoer there I'm really not thrilled about having to pay $8-10 to park every time I want to see a film, in addition to tickets to the film (members receive a parking discount - for 31 minutes to 4 hours, the $8 and $10 rates apply to members and non-members, respectively). I take light rail there about half the time, but sometimes that's just not optimal. I'm willing to bet the folks that run the film program probably aren't too happy either - it would be nice if there was some way they could validate garage parking for filmgoers, but I doubt they'd be allowed to do that to the exclusion of other museum visitors.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

Yes, the new underground garage is at 5101 Montrose. Museum members received a flyer in the mail about this earlier this week communicating that the current surface lot is closing after this weekend. After that, you will have to park in the new underground garage or the existing one on Fannin adjacent to the Beck Building. 

I have to admit that as much as I'm happy for the upcoming expansion of the museum, as a semi-regular filmgoer there I'm really not thrilled about having to pay $8-10 to park every time I want to see a film, in addition to tickets to the film (members receive a parking discount - for 31 minutes to 4 hours, the $8 and $10 rates apply to members and non-members, respectively). I take light rail there about half the time, but sometimes that's just not optimal. I'm willing to bet the folks that run the film program probably aren't too happy either - it would be nice if there was some way they could validate garage parking for filmgoers, but I doubt they'd be allowed to do that to the exclusion of other museum visitors.  

Maybe you should suggest it. Im a member and will make a call myself. Thanks for all of the information. I should read those things when they get home.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bobruss said:

Maybe you should suggest it. Im a member and will make a call myself. Thanks for all of the information. I should read those things when they get home.

I overlooked it myself for several days, then did a double-take when I finally glanced at it and realized what they were talking about. 

A correction: the 31-minute to 4-hour rate for members is $6, not $8 - I misread the small type. 

• Like 1