Bolivar Development

Peninsula project: A master-planned beachfront community. A golf course complete with country club, pro shop, spa and fitness lounge. Retail catering to owners of hundreds of new, high-end homes.

Is Bolivar Peninsula ready for all this? Developer David Birdsall thinks so...

http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.l...ebb502818aa3e21

• 5 months later...
Isn't Bolivar the same elevation as pre 1900 Galveston.... these guys are brave :blink:

My geology professor put it this way.

A direct hit from a major hurricane on bolivar and wed have a new ship channel.

Isn't Bolivar the same elevation as pre 1900 Galveston.... these guys are brave :blink:

Galveston in 1900 had removed its sand dunes. That's one of the major reasons that it was hit so much worse in 1900 than in previous storms. Even then, the 1900 storm only removed 20 to 30 feet of land from the island. 20 to 30 feet wouldn't completely eliminate even the dunes, much less a portion of privately-owned land.

The geology prof. is correct that the water may scour a channel through the peninusla (happens in some places, not in others), but it'd heal in a matter of weeks.

• 3 months later...
Galveston in 1900 had removed its sand dunes. That's one of the major reasons that it was hit so much worse in 1900 than in previous storms. Even then, the 1900 storm only removed 20 to 30 feet of land from the island. 20 to 30 feet wouldn't completely eliminate even the dunes, much less a portion of privately-owned land.

The geology prof. is correct that the water may scour a channel through the peninusla (happens in some places, not in others), but it'd heal in a matter of weeks.

Bolivar was the kind of place that working class people could afford. My dad was a plumber so

our place was very small compared to these giant resort homes being planned now. I wonder what

the attraction is that Galveston island can't provide. There are no fancy Fertitta type restraunts or Strand shops to mingle around in anywere on Bolivar. I'm puzzled?

• 3 months later...

Some nuckle heads are calling my answering machine and asking if I want to sell my overgrown mosquito infested lot (my words) near the beach (south of 87 at the old Roadside Park). Does anyone know of somehing going on. I'm not interested in selling it, but just curious why someone would go to the trouble of looking me up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived