Dallas Versus Houston

The Great Hizzy!

This is a very telling quote on Big D. It sure keeps the BMW dealers happy:

"We've never had anything natural, it's all been because we made it happen, we made something out of nothing and after awhile that whole attitude becomes mythic and then it becomes reality,

I've seen articles that compare and contrast the two cities that put some effort into being accurate, but this story is just weak. It doesn't do either city justice. I guess that's what you get when a TV station does a story. It has to fit in a two minute segment.

It's not even worthy of debate.

In the early 1990's I really thought Dallas had it up on Houston (and for the most part they did at that time). Since that time, Houston lost the Oilers and realized they had a major image problem. Houston, worked its ass of trying to reshape itself...we set new goals for the city, like trying to lure the Olympics, which got everybody on board the new stadium facilities which IMO are second to none. A rebirth in Houston's Downtown and a BOOM in new construction has elevated Houston back ahead of Big D. There's an explosion of energy in H-town (no pun intended to our BP friends...) while Dallas seems like its in somewhat of a malaise just as Houston was back in the early to mid 1990's. Still, both are both amazingly remarkable cities. Very similar in many ways...yet very different in others.

2 Things I like most about Dallas:

1) Zoning

2) Better Rail System

2 Things I like most about Houston:

1) Trees and Greenery

2) Independant Restaurants

• 2 months later...

Archived