Frangiones Purple Cow Restaurant At 7618 Hillcroft Ave.

enviromain

Best Hamburgers in town..........long gone. Located (I think on Hillcroft near Bissonnet) behind Bayland Park. My best friend and I would walk or ride bikes to the park and to the Purple Cow.

Best thing since the Chuck Wagon Hamburgers (I think was on Beachnut near Bissonnet).

What do you know?

Best Hamburgers in town..........long gone. Located (I think on Hillcroft near Bissonnet) behind Bayland Park. My best friend and I would walk or ride bikes to the park and to the Purple Cow.

Best thing since the Chuck Wagon Hamburgers (I think was on Beachnut near Bissonnet).

What do you know?

I do not remember the Purple Cow in Houston but for many years there has been a Purple Cow just outside of Freeport. Great burgers and seafood. Could it be the same people? I haven't checked to see if they have a web site.

I do not remember the Purple Cow in Houston but for many years there has been a Purple Cow just outside of Freeport. Great burgers and seafood. Could it be the same people? I haven't checked to see if they have a web site.

Yes, there is a Purple Cow on the Bluewater Highway in Surfside. Go south on 332 and turn left at the Bluewater Highway. It's just on the right. Can't miss it - building is purple.

Never been there - and don't know if it's the same folks.

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd revive this thread just to say I remember the Purple Cow on Hillcroft very well--they even put purple food coloring in soft serve ice cream to make it that color! As for the Chuc Wagun--best onion rings around at the time--who can forget the neon wagon sign!

The joint in Surfside is Miss Kitty's Purple Cow, to be exact. I've only eaten there a couple times, but I enjoyed it. I liked the atmosphere as much as the food...good folks there. Laid back.

To me, the best kind of hamburger is a greasy burger loaded with jalapeno peppers on both sides of the patty.

To me, the best kind of hamburger is a greasy burger loaded with jalapeno peppers on both sides of the patty.

Anyone tried Christians on 1-10 and Wescott. It is behind the Denny's. I was taken there yesterday. It is an old dive place, but the burger was exceptional. Try it sometime !!!

Anyone tried Christians on 1-10 and Wescott. It is behind the Denny's. I was taken there yesterday. It is an old dive place, but the burger was exceptional. Try it sometime !!!

Sometimes those "greasy spoon" places serve some good stuff!

I thought I'd revive this thread just to say I remember the Purple Cow on Hillcroft very well--they even put purple food coloring in soft serve ice cream to make it that color! As for the Chuc Wagun--best onion rings around at the time--who can forget the neon wagon sign!

I remember both places! Yes...the Purple Cow had great soft serve ice cream. I think it may have closed in the mid 70's? Never ate at the Chuck Wagon.....but I always remembered that sign!

Does anyone recall the older Shipley's Donuts on Bissonnet across from the Little League fields? It was before the current (??) one. I recall stepping up on the front steps inside which allowed us kids to see over the counter and pick out our donuts!

Last...I think there is a Purple Cow in Dallas just south of the Galleria. It is an upscale neighborhood and it is a diner which is big hit with little kids. I do not think it is related to the old place off of Hilcroft in Houston.

I remember both places! Yes...the Purple Cow had great soft serve ice cream. I think it may have closed in the mid 70's? Never ate at the Chuck Wagon.....but I always remembered that sign!

Does anyone recall the older Shipley's Donuts on Bissonnet across from the Little League fields? It was before the current (??) one. I recall stepping up on the front steps inside which allowed us kids to see over the counter and pick out our donuts!

Last...I think there is a Purple Cow in Dallas just south of the Galleria. It is an upscale neighborhood and it is a diner which is big hit with little kids. I do not think it is related to the old place off of Hilcroft in Houston.

Q: What do you call a cow that doesn't have any legs?

A: Ground beef.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you know?

The History Channel had a segment on a hamburger restaurant chain called White Castle, known for its strict cleanliness. Were there ever any White Castles in Houston?

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly! Both places were a treat! And Baskin Robbins close by too.

I remember the Shipley's. We went sometimes on Saturdays. Wasn't that close to the Monterey House Mexican Restaurant?

yep--Shipley's has been there quite awhile! But I'll take it one step further...ever eat @Johnny's Hamburger House just down the street? Right next to 7/11 on Bissonnet & Albacore!

Don't recall Johnny's Hamburger, but wasn't there an icy store next to the 7-11? I used to get lemon ice there if I'm thinking of the right place.

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading a book with my 3 year old son about a blue cow and I recalled the Purple Cow on Hillcroft near Bissonnet. I googled "purple cow" and picked up this thread. In the early 70's every kid on Rowan migrated to the Purple Cow on hot summer days. We had no time for the burgers but the purple soft serve was worth your allowance for the week. Shipley's Donut shop is a whole other conversation but the kids that played on that little league team were the luckiest at the park. Fond memories of Danny Hutchens, Steve Sugarek, Steve Arnold and Chris Cockerham. I am sure they all remember the Purple Cow.

The History Channel had a segment on a hamburger restaurant chain called White Castle, known for its strict cleanliness. Were there ever any White Castles in Houston?

White Castle's are more of a midwest feature I think. I have been to White Castle in Chicago and Indianapolis. Krystal 'sort of' reminded me of White Castle...but went there once and never again. The worst by far has to be James Coney Island, I thought I was going to be ill.

DSC_0306.jpg

Lankford Grocery & Market in the 4th Ward off of Dennis Street. Best Burger in Houston, IMHO.

Before you die you have to go up to Dallas and eat a real hamberger at Keller's Drive-in. This is a hands down real live burger joint. Now days every fast-food joint has a drive-through window. But Keller's still likes to keep things old-fashioned. Park your car, click on your blinkers and wait for a friendly carhop. Place your order, roll up your window a tad and wait for that tray to arrive. Five bucks and change gets you a double-meat cheeseburger, Tater Tots with melted cheese and a drink (and you'll tip the server if ya got any class). The burgers are first-rate and I mean first-rate, but the real charm here is obvious: You get to sit in your car and chow down without worrying about a mishap on the open road. The serve ice cold cold beer, and even have frosted mugs. We go up to Dallas, hit Keller's then on the way back hit the Galaxy drive-in in Ennis and checkout a movie. Keller's has street rod night's and that's when I really get to play. I take my '59 vette or 67 rs/ss up for that, life doesn't get any better than that. Back before there was a Sonic, there was Keller's. I use to hang out in Dallas when I was younger, and Keller was there in the 60's. I think they opened in '54 or '55. Keller's and the "Pig Stand" was the place to be on a Friday night cruise. I think Pig Stand was around in the 1920's. The Drive-In I think was the first in the nation or so they use to boast, There use to be a Pig Stand down on Washington Ave in Houston, but it was a sit down joint. I think it's still there, I know they have a couple still in the Alamo City.

But you really have to hit Keller's, hands down best burger ever. This is a fun place to go, eat and watch the "car show". If you like classic hot rods and good burgers try Kellers. You can't beat what you get for the price. A burger, fries or tots and drink for way under 6.00. They have a good variety on the menu.

Good service, even when they are really busy. You can also have a beer with your burger. Saturday nights best time to go and catch the action. They have been in business for over 50 years! Check it out!

KELLER'S DRIVE IN

6537 E. Northwest Highway

Dallas, TX 75228

214-368-1209

or

10554 HARRY HINES BLVD

DALLAS, TX 75220

Phone: 214-357-3572

I highly recommend the #5 Double meat Double Cheese Lg fry and a Ice Cold Bud.........Life is really good then.

I was reading a book with my 3 year old son about a blue cow and I recalled the Purple Cow on Hillcroft near Bissonnet. I googled "purple cow" and picked up this thread. In the early 70's every kid on Rowan migrated to the Purple Cow on hot summer days. We had no time for the burgers but the purple soft serve was worth your allowance for the week. Shipley's Donut shop is a whole other conversation but the kids that played on that little league team were the luckiest at the park. Fond memories of Danny Hutchens, Steve Sugarek, Steve Arnold and Chris Cockerham. I am sure they all remember the Purple Cow.

Every kid on Neff street was there too! We were eating purple milk shakes and eating the most wonderful tasting hamburgers. Those were the days!

We rode our bikes there and played in the ditch behind it after eating. We had to settle for Pizza Hut there after Purple Cow closed.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What do you know?

"I never saw a purple cow and never wish to see one, but if I had a choice to make, I'd rather see than be one." Sorry, but someone was eventually going to say it.

I pigged out at the "Cow" for two and a half years back in the sixties. I worked across the street at 7333 Hillcroft. When I was a little short of change, I would run over to the Derweinerschnitzel at the S/E corner of Bissonnet and Hillcroft.

Pop Quiz: True or False? (1) Derweinerdogs were 16 cents. (2) Drive through really meant drive through!

True on both counts. The building was an A-frame and straight throught the middle you went! Much like the original Jack in the Box, Derweinerschnitzel's menu consisted a maybe six items. Sometimes, if you had your change ready, a "rolling" stop would get you in and outa' there.

"Munching on Derweinerschnitzels and sipping down purple moo-goo...... the good old days?!?"

When I was a little short of change, I would run over to the Derweinerschnitzel at the S/E corner of Bissonnet and Hillcroft.

Pop Quiz: True or False? (1) Derweinerdogs were 16 cents. (2) Drive through really meant drive through!

True on both counts. The building was an A-frame and straight throught the middle you went! Much like the original Jack in the Box, Derweinerschnitzel's menu consisted a maybe six items. Sometimes, if you had your change ready, a "rolling" stop would get you in and outa' there.

"Munching on Derweinerschnitzels and sipping down purple moo-goo...... the good old days?!?"

I had forgotten about the Derweinerschnitzel. I don't remember 16 cent hot dogs, but I remember we used to stop there for lunch after we went to Homer's or Sacco's. Take me back to the 70's when life was so easy! Peace.

Purple Cow was indeed near the NW corner of Hillcroft and Bissonnet. It was next door to a used car sales lot. After the Purple Cow, it later became a Blimpies. After that??? :D

See you at the Bargain Gusher...

The car lot was CARS-Christians Auto Repair Service.

Just down Bissonnet across from Saccos, was a Putt-Putt. Later Homer's went up on the sight. Sam Sacco lived on Hillcroft perpendicular to Sylmar. In the mid 70's his house caught on fire and the second story was burned off.

In the same neighbor hood lived the Hendee family. At the SW corner of Sylmar and Ashcroft, lived Edd Hendee. Future AM700 talk host and owner of Taste of Texas.

Let's see, what else have we discussed.

The Shipley donuts on Bissonett, did indeed move in the mid 70's. Prior to moving, you could go to the shop and get FREE donut holes.

Here's a little known fact. To the east of Saccos groceries there was a small strip center. At the far east side was a pretzel shop. This shop supplied the astrodome with the large pretzels that were sold during games. If you went to the shop, for 49 cents you could get a fresh baked steaming hot soft pretzel right out of the oven. Wow, it was great!

Let's see, here

• 2 weeks later...
The car lot was CARS-Christians Auto Repair Service.

Just down Bissonnet across from Saccos, was a Putt-Putt. Later Homer's went up on the sight. Sam Sacco lived on Hillcroft perpendicular to Sylmar. In the mid 70's his house caught on fire and the second story was burned off.

In the same neighbor hood lived the Hendee family. At the SW corner of Sylmar and Ashcroft, lived Edd Hendee. Future AM700 talk host and owner of Taste of Texas.

Let's see, what else have we discussed.

The Shipley donuts on Bissonett, did indeed move in the mid 70's. Prior to moving, you could go to the shop and get FREE donut holes.

Here's a little known fact. To the east of Saccos groceries there was a small strip center. At the far east side was a pretzel shop. This shop supplied the astrodome with the large pretzels that were sold during games. If you went to the shop, for 49 cents you could get a fresh baked steaming hot soft pretzel right out of the oven. Wow, it was great!

Let's see, here's another factoid. The McDonalds across from Holy Ghost Church, on Bissonett. had the tallest McDonald sign in the city back in 1976.

Here's another factoid.

The mall at S Braeswood and Chimney Rock. Next to Nob Hill, where Beldens is. In the early 70's it was an open air mall, then in the late 70's it was enclosed and air-conditioned. Later the enclosure was removed and it became open air again. Strange?

How about the mall at Beechnut and Hillcroft.

Air conditioned. El Patio on the East, then Weiner's, a pet store, a model shop, Browns 5 a & dime, then Weingartens. The jack in the box across the street was one of the first in Houston. At Beechnut and Bissonnett there was an A&P grocery. The first Sam's was just down the street at Fondren and Hilcroft.

The Palais Royal in Meyerland Plaza was originally a JC Penney's. When Penney's built the current store, Palais Royal took over Penneys old space.

The Houston Gamblers of the USFL practiced at Bayland Park. They had a quarterback who later became a household name. Jim Kelley.

Also in the 70's at Bayland Park there was an area set aside for model airplane

es. These were the planes that were tethered to the user and they were flown in a large circle.

I remember the Purple Cow...that was real close to the Bellaire Drive-in wasn't it?

• 7 months later...

I recall a White Castle in Spring Branch (on Gessner, north of Long Point, I think) in the early 60s. Those burgers were distinctly unacceptable to Texans and appealed only to homesick Yankees. That location did not last very long. We went once.

[ Here's a little known fact. To the east of Saccos groceries there was a small strip center. At the far east side was a pretzel shop. This shop supplied the astrodome with the large pretzels that were sold during games. If you went to the shop, for 49 cents you could get a fresh baked steaming hot soft pretzel right out of the oven. Wow, it was great!

Also in that strip center was the original location of Henry's BBQ--later to move into a stand alone location on Hillcroft

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I worked at the Enco/Exxon station on Hillcroft at Beechnut and ate many a lunch at the Purple Cow in the late 60's. It was my favorite lunch spot. Hadn't thought about that in 35 years!

Used to eat at the Purple Cow in the 70s when I worked for a company called EIL Instruments, located a couple blocks down east of there.

I'll never forget the original El Patio at the east end of Maplewood Plaza. The first time I ever saw a "bald taco". That's what they called them. Now they just call them a puffy queso. Remember the pet store and my eye doctor was Mr. Wishnow. I believe one of his sons now runs that place, which is still there. Where the pet store is next to Dr. Wishnow is a gym.

Anybody remember the JMH and Eagle grocery stores on the North and South sides of Bissonnet near its intersection with Renwick? We're talking late 50s for JMH to early 70s for Eagle. Sacco's came sometime inbetween. "Mr. Sam" Sacco was always there to meet and greet. Used to take in the Monterrey House near Shipley's in the late 60s to mid 70s. Four Seas Chinese restaurant south of Beechnut and Hillcroft near the Jack in the Box was also a haunt later on in the 70s and early 80s. The Chuck Wagon on Beechnut and Bissonnet had competition for a while with another one ( before the Mc Donalds took over the site) located just north of Holy Ghost Church and School on Bellaire. Also a Mr. Hamburger on Bissonnet just west of Chimney Rock added further variety to burger gallery in the area. :rolleyes:

i remember purple cow was one of my sister's favorite hang outs in high school. that and across the street where you placed your order by phone, which i think was further up hillcroft. my orthodontist was on hillcroft, close to westheimer - dr. budnick.

i always think about the little candies from monterrey house, not the pralines, but the soft double sticks with pecans on top. i really miss those.

i would go to the shipley's on bissonet after performing at half time at F.U.N. football games back in the late 60's.

there are still der weinerschnitzel around in smaller texas towns and all over california.

Archived