Felix Mexican Restaurant

enviromain

I'm 40 now. My grandma lived in West U near Kirby and Felix's. I grew up going to Felix's with Grandma. My family and relatives ate there with my grandma. My parents also took my brother and I to the Felix's on Bissonnet and Beachnut. I'm third generation and my 15 year old son is 4th G. He was eating Felix's guacamole before he cut teeth.

The chili con queso is the best in the entire world! And the cheese enchiladas are to die for. The original is still open; however the others are long gone.

I live in San Antonio now, but nothing compares to the food at Felix's. They have talked about closing it before. We cannot let this legend die. When I am in Houston, I have to stock up on queso.

There's more about Felix: he basically started the "Head Start" program that exists for youngsters now.

Spark a memory?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm 40 now. My grandma lived in West U near Kirby and Felix's. I grew up going to Felix's with Grandma. My family and relatives ate there with my grandma. My parents also took my brother and I to the Felix's on Bissonnet and Beachnut. I'm third generation and my 15 year old son is 4th G. He was eating Felix's guacamole before he cut teeth.

The chili con queso is the best in the entire world! And the cheese enchiladas are to die for. The original is still open; however the others are long gone.

I live in San Antonio now, but nothing compares to the food at Felix's. They have talked about closing it before. We cannot let this legend die. When I am in Houston, I have to stock up on queso.

There's more about Felix: he basically started the "Head Start" program that exists for youngsters now.

Spark a memory?

I drove by a couple days ago during the afternoon and it was closed? Are they maybe closed between lunch and dinner?

Ive eaten there once - not to my liking - but it is definately a popular place...they do seem to have lots of rumors about them closing their doors...

I drove by a couple days ago during the afternoon and it was closed? Are they maybe closed between lunch and dinner?

Ive eaten there once - not to my liking - but it is definately a popular place...they do seem to have lots of rumors about them closing their doors...

I think I remember seeing Felix Mexican Restaurant billboard along the freeway back in the early 1960s. Does it go back that far? Was it a chain like Monterey House or El Chico was?

I think I remember seeing Felix Mexican Restaurant billboard along the freeway back in the early 1960s. Does it go back that far? Was it a chain like Monterey House or El Chico was?

I don't know about the billboards, but I'm sure it was possible. And yes, there were quite a few Felix's in various locations during the 70's and 80's to my knowledge. The last one that closed was on Kirby. The one before that was on Bellaire and Bissonnet.

I could not get my Dad to register here, but after reading the blogs he emailed me the following:

Felix's that we used to go to in Bellaire was at what we used to call the "circle". There was actually no circle, but it was where Bissonnet and Bellaire Blvd intersected. (I believe that the intersection of Bissonnet and Beechnut was where the Baskin Robbins ice cream store was.) When I was in high school, I worked at a Mobil gas station at the circle. It was next door (East) to a Wagner's hardware store and across the street (West) from a bank with all glass walls - inside and outside. You could watch traffic on the other side of the building. To the north, across Bissonnet, there was a Toddle House that had the best black bottom pie anywhere.

I don't know about the billboards, but I'm sure it was possible. And yes, there were quite a few Felix's in various locations during the 70's and 80's to my knowledge. The last one that closed was on Kirby. The one before that was on Bellaire and Bissonnet.

I could not get my Dad to register here, but after reading the blogs he emailed me the following:

Felix's that we used to go to in Bellaire was at what we used to call the "circle". There was actually no circle, but it was where Bissonnet and Bellaire Blvd intersected. (I believe that the intersection of Bissonnet and Beechnut was where the Baskin Robbins ice cream store was.) When I was in high school, I worked at a Mobil gas station at the circle. It was next door (East) to a Wagner's hardware store and across the street (West) from a bank with all glass walls - inside and outside. You could watch traffic on the other side of the building. To the north, across Bissonnet, there was a Toddle House that had the best black bottom pie anywhere.

What is "Black Bottom Pie"? Really, I don't know anything about any kind of pie since I'm diabetic.

What is "Black Bottom Pie"? Really, I don't know anything about any kind of pie since I'm diabetic.

It's a creamy, chocolaty pie made with gelatin, rum, and fresh texas pecans! If you have a sweet tooth, you may want to track this one down!

I have a friend who did some research for Thomas Kreneck, the author of Mexican American Odyssey: Felix Tijerina, Entrepreneur & Civic Leader, 1905-1965, a biography of Felix's founder.

There's a glowing review of this book on amazon.com by Robb Walsh (who is, I assume, the restaurant reviewer from Houston Press.)

Felix-1942.jpg

Here is a small ad from 1942 for Felix's original restaurant on Westheimer.

Felix-1942.jpg

Here is a small ad from 1942 for Felix's original restaurant on Westheimer.

I notice the ad lists Felix's at 1220 Westheimer. Currently, their address is 904 Westheimer. Has the restaurant moved, or were the street addresses on Westheimer changed sometime between the 1940s and today? (see Hathaway Street thread.)

I notice the ad lists Felix's at 1220 Westheimer. Currently, their address is 904 Westheimer. Has the restaurant moved, or were the street addresses on Westheimer changed sometime between the 1940s and today? (see Hathaway Street thread.)

Good point! Here is a note out of the Handbook of Texas: ...in 1937 they opened Felix's Mexican Restaurant, on Westheimer. By the early 1950s they owned and operated four restaurants in Houston and the surrounding area.

Another search turned up this from the Houston Press: The Depression put Tijerina's first restaurant out of business, but in 1937 he built another one on Westheimer in River Oaks. Felix and his wife, Janie, slept in the back of the restaurant and worked virtually around the clock turning the operation into a huge success. He opened an outlet in Beaumont, another in Bellaire and the flagship restaurant on Westheimer near Montrose. He would go on to build six altogether, creating one of the most successful restaurant empires of his day. "For the finest in Mexican foods" was Tijerina's slogan.

I don't think 1220 Westheimer has ever been anywhere near River Oaks.

Guest danax
I notice the ad lists Felix's at 1220 Westheimer. Currently, their address is 904 Westheimer. Has the restaurant moved, or were the street addresses on Westheimer changed sometime between the 1940s and today?

Apparently they moved at some point. I found this Houston Business Journal article from last year. Here's an excerpt.

City Beat

Houston Business Journal - February 11, 2005

Felix may not get nixed after all

After operating Houston's quintessential Tex-Mex eatery since 1948, Felix Tijerina Jr. isn't sure whether he's coming or going.

The owner of Felix Restaurant recently informed Channel 13 KTRK newsman Marvin Zindler that the longtime Montrose-area landmark would close following Valentine's Day.

But ever since M-a-a-a-rvin broadcast the bombshell, legions of Felix groupies have descended upon the little faux hacienda for what might be a final nostalgic fix of Mexican treats drenched in cheese and chili.

Tijerina says his phone has been ringing off the hook with customers pleading with him to keep the restaurant open, and says he's also received letters from patrons in San Antonio and as far away as North Carolina.

The prospect that Felix might close is ringing the cash registers on a more consistent basis than ever.

"I am terribly confused now," says Tijerina. "We're in this business to make money, and all of a sudden we are now."

He says staying in business has been a struggle since a fire destroyed the restaurant in 1999 and only the insurance money allowed him to continue.

"It's an old place and there's a lot of work that needs to be done for us to stay open," he says.

Tijerina's father, Felix Sr., opened the Mexican food restaurant downtown in 1929. The place later moved to Westheimer, about three blocks from its current location just east of Montrose.

Tijerina Jr. has been in charge since 1948, and says he's been cutting back on things. Napkins are now paper instead of linen, plastic has replaced glass cups, and the restaurant is closed on Mondays.

He says patrons don't like changes, so he's made it a point to ensure that the menu maintains the taste of Tex-Mex past.

"We're going to keep on going as long as we can," he says. "We're just trying to survive." - Allison Wollam

Apparently they moved at some point. I found this Houston Business Journal article from last year. Here's an excerpt.

City Beat

Houston Business Journal - February 11, 2005

Felix may not get nixed after all

After operating Houston's quintessential Tex-Mex eatery since 1948, Felix Tijerina Jr. isn't sure whether he's coming or going.

The owner of Felix Restaurant recently informed Channel 13 KTRK newsman Marvin Zindler that the longtime Montrose-area landmark would close following Valentine's Day.

But ever since M-a-a-a-rvin broadcast the bombshell, legions of Felix groupies have descended upon the little faux hacienda for what might be a final nostalgic fix of Mexican treats drenched in cheese and chili.

Tijerina says his phone has been ringing off the hook with customers pleading with him to keep the restaurant open, and says he's also received letters from patrons in San Antonio and as far away as North Carolina.

The prospect that Felix might close is ringing the cash registers on a more consistent basis than ever.

"I am terribly confused now," says Tijerina. "We're in this business to make money, and all of a sudden we are now."

He says staying in business has been a struggle since a fire destroyed the restaurant in 1999 and only the insurance money allowed him to continue.

"It's an old place and there's a lot of work that needs to be done for us to stay open," he says.

Tijerina's father, Felix Sr., opened the Mexican food restaurant downtown in 1929. The place later moved to Westheimer, about three blocks from its current location just east of Montrose.

Tijerina Jr. has been in charge since 1948, and says he's been cutting back on things. Napkins are now paper instead of linen, plastic has replaced glass cups, and the restaurant is closed on Mondays.

He says patrons don't like changes, so he's made it a point to ensure that the menu maintains the taste of Tex-Mex past.

"We're going to keep on going as long as we can," he says. "We're just trying to survive." - Allison Wollam

Sounds like a business opportunity for someone who would want to carry on a tradition...

Sounds like a business opportunity for someone who would want to carry on a tradition...

I've always wondered if even half of the kind of food that is served in Mexican restaurants in the U.S. is actually made and eaten in Mexico itself.

Felix Mexican Restaurants in 1969:

5208 Bissonnet - phone: 667-5293

5829 Kirby Drive - phone: 523-5768

719 Telephone Road - phone: 923 8436

616 Main Street - phone: 227-4805

904 Westheimer - phone: 529-3949 (or JA 9-3949 if you prefer old school...)

9619 Long Point - phone: 464-5431

Pasadena: 105 West Bird - phone: 473-2387

Beaumont: 1716 Calder Avenue - phone: 832-4701

• 5 months later...
And yes, there were quite a few Felix's in various locations during the 70's and 80's to my knowledge. The last one that closed was on Kirby. The one before that was on Bellaire and Bissonnet.

Man, I used to go to the one in an old taco bell type building on bellaire and bissonnet. They had the best nachos I have ever tasted! I didn't know there were any left. I will check out the one on Westheimer.

Felix Rocks!

Man, I used to go to the one in an old taco bell type building on bellaire and bissonnet. They had the best nachos I have ever tasted! I didn't know there were any left. I will check out the one on Westheimer.

Felix Rocks!

Indeed, their nachos are delicious! It's the queso that makes it! My family used to dine at that one on Bellaire Blvd. and Bissonnet as well. Good fixin's!

The Village location on Kirby was the closest to us initially. Their queso was excellent, but I must mention their "chips" which we called "tortillas tostados" then were the absolute best. To the point that for parties at home, when chafing dishes became the rage and we made the Velveeta/Rotel Tomato dips ourselves, still we called Felix's and sent someone down to pick up 4-6 big bags of their fried tortillas.

They were inexpensive and families could eat a huge amount of food for very little. I know we were customers there in the early 1950's. The Tijerinas were one of the most respected and civic minded families in Houston.

• 2 weeks later...
The Village location on Kirby was the closest to us initially. Their queso was excellent, but I must mention their "chips" which we called "tortillas tostados" then were the absolute best. To the point that for parties at home, when chafing dishes became the rage and we made the Velveeta/Rotel Tomato dips ourselves, still we called Felix's and sent someone down to pick up 4-6 big bags of their fried tortillas.

They were inexpensive and families could eat a huge amount of food for very little. I know we were customers there in the early 1950's. The Tijerinas were one of the most respected and civic minded families in Houston.

Does anybody know if they are closing their doors? It would be an aweful shame to lose forever those cheese enchiladas in that wonderful beef chili sauce.

86291.jpg

6388809_2686e73f97_m.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody know if they are closing their doors? It would be an aweful shame to lose forever those cheese enchiladas in that wonderful beef chili sauce.

Rumor still has it that they could close their doors at any time. From what I have read, it's basically the long-time loyal customers that continue to support Felix's and campaine for open doors.

• 3 months later...

Glad & excited to have run in to this thread about The Tijerina restaurant/s. My big cousin worked at the lower Westheimer location from what I was told in late/50's or early 60's. He is about 62 by now. I can always ask him about his experiences there, since he knew everyone 1st hand.

I have not been to that local in years but remember how good it felt just seating in the place. Beautiful arched windows with nice views of the outside and so on. Now there was a bige fire at that lower Westheimer location about 5 years ago, luckily it only damaged offices from what I recall. Main dining room was spared. I hope they never close it but with all that competition I think its just a matter of time. Taco Cabana is just across the street. Then the area is so crammed with traffic, hard to park, homeless crowd, the list goes on. The real sad part is the younger generations won't experience how nice it was to go into a nice quiet, civilized setting to have a pleasant dinner. Now its hurry up order and get out of the way and eat at a tiny chrome table with all sorts of freaks around you. Oh yes, the good old days!

Glad & excited to have run in to this thread about The Tijerina restaurant/s. My big cousin worked at the lower Westheimer location from what I was told in late/50's or early 60's. He is about 62 by now. I can always ask him about his experiences there, since he knew everyone 1st hand.

I used to go to the lower Westheimer location about twice a year and I remember this older gentleman who was the head waiter there for many years, but can't recall his name. He was the best. Sometimes a few of my friends and I would just go to the bar there and not eat. They had a fire that closed them down a while, but it was good to see them back in business and I hope they don't close since they have not only history but some pretty good food. Too many Houston institutions have gone that way.

The real sad part is the younger generations won't experience how nice it was to go into a nice quiet, civilized setting to have a pleasant dinner. Now its hurry up order and get out of the way and eat at a tiny chrome table with all sorts of freaks around you. Oh yes, the good old days!

Wow, you are SUCH a curmudgeon. There are countless restaurants in the city where one cay go have a nice, quite, civilized, pleasant dinner.

Wow, you are SUCH a curmudgeon. There are countless restaurants in the city where one cay go have a nice, quite, civilized, pleasant dinner.

Well I will admit times have changed. Going out to eat used to be more of an event. Now we take it for granted. We just got back from Carrabba's on Kirby and the kids near us sure were restless. At a place like that I'd expect the parents to take control.

• 2 months later...

86291.jpg

6388809_2686e73f97_m.jpg

Many years ago, there was a Felix restaurant here in Beaumont with a sign that looked just like this one. I heard that San Antonio still has a few. What about Houston?

According to the entry for Felix Tijerina in the Handbook of Texas the chain was started ca. 1937 (Robb Walsh says 'in Montrose close to River Oaks") and once had locations throughout SE Texas. I believe I've read somewhere the one on Westheimer @ Stanford dates to 1948; it is the last of the chain. If there are restaurants by that name in SA, it's a different company.

According to the entry for Felix Tijerina in the Handbook of Texas the chain was started ca. 1937 (Robb Walsh says 'in Montrose close to River Oaks") and once had locations throughout SE Texas. I believe I've read somewhere the one on Westheimer @ Stanford dates to 1948; it is the last of the chain. If there are restaurants by that name in SA, it's a different company.

Thanks. But I did say that I heard that there were a few Felix's open in the Alamo City. I appears that I was wrong. I never did go to that Felix that was over here. I remember passing by it all of the time.

I have many photos of the interior Felix that was at Telephone & Dumble intersection in near East End. We had a 6th grade graduation dinner there approx 1973. All original decor. Quite cool. We as kids took it for granted then but now as luck would have, really appreciate it now. I always like the large curved windows with full view of the outside commotion. :P

Wish I knew how or where to scan these photos so I could share? Assist?

Archived