Sin Alley

icepickphil

Does anyone have any stories or memories to tell about this part of westside Houston which was known as "Sin Alley" or "Sin City" in the 1960s? It was an area of apartment complexes on Mid Lane just inside the Loop. The area was known for the wild and/or "alternative" lifestyles of it's residents. At one time in the 60s it was infamous with westside residents.

I remember going to the "Regal Beagle" back in the 70's. I would meet my friends Chrissie, Janet, and Jack there all the time. They all lived together in a 2 bedroom apartment back then. The apartment complex was pretty strict on the rules I remember. Jack had to pretend to be "Gay" because he wasn't married to either one of the girls. It was a swingin' time back then. I remember the apartment manager didn't really believe that Jack was "Gay" and would always try to catch him with a girl , but he would always make snide remarks about Jack. Use to really piss me off. Chrissie was soooooooo hot, she would wear these short shorts and skin tight tank tops with no bra, OMG !

I remember going to the "Regal Beagle" back in the 70's. I would meet my friends Chrissie, Janet, and Jack there all the time. They all lived together in a 2 bedroom apartment back then. The apartment complex was pretty strict on the rules I remember. Jack had to pretend to be "Gay" because he wasn't married to either one of the girls. It was a swingin' time back then. I remember the apartment manager didn't really believe that Jack was "Gay" and would always try to catch him with a girl , but he would always make snide remarks about Jack. Use to really piss me off. Chrissie was soooooooo hot, she would wear these short shorts and skin tight tank tops with no bra, OMG !

Speaking of sin, I decided to go all the way and indulge in the three big sins of drinking, smoking, and gambling all in one place at the same time. I stopped at a liquor store and bought a bottle of whiskey, a pack of cigarettes, and a lottery ticket. You should try that sometime. You come out feeling like you've released a lot of inner steam that's built up inside of you for a long time.

:lol::lol::lol:

Jack may or may not have been gay but did you ever wonder what Chrissie and Janet were doing in their bedroom when the lights went out? Did ya, Teej???? :o

Talk about Sin Alley! :lol:

B)

Sin Alley sound like Snooze Alley.
It was the times, Coog. We're talking Mid (pun intended) to late 60's, and things were very different then. I worked at Gulf Oil downtown ('68) and really liked a girl there. But, she was still married, and even though she had filed for divorce and was living at home with her parents, we would have been shunned for going out together. And we're talking Houston and not some small town.

However, things really changed quickly after that. I think it was because "The Pill" became readily available. By '71 when I got out of the Navy, things were wide open, especially as to "sexual freedom". And man, did I love that!

Does anyone have any stories or memories to tell about this part of westside Houston which was known as "Sin Alley" or "Sin City" in the 1960s? It was an area of apartment complexes on Mid Lane just inside the Loop. The area was known for the wild and/or "alternative" lifestyles of it's residents. At one time in the 60s it was infamous with westside residents.

i thought sin alley was the street area behind the kroger

on montrose...

no kidding, though... seems to be getting worse. it was

bad before just seems to be many more folks in that area

than before --- and no i don't partake but i do ride my bike

through there to get to work and there are definitely more

people than before.

there’s this little quadrant between the kroger, the copy.com,

behind that brick guild shop and stops at everyone's favorite

here at HAIF: tremont tower (houston's favorite landmark).

i thought sin alley was the street area behind the kroger

on montrose...

no kidding, though... seems to be getting worse. it was

bad before just seems to be many more folks in that area

than before --- and no i don't partake but i do ride my bike

through there to get to work and there are definitely more

people than before.

there’s this little quadrant between the kroger, the copy.com,

behind that brick guild shop and stops at everyone's favorite

here at HAIF: tremont tower (houston's favorite landmark).

Thank Covenant House.

Back on topic - there were several apartment complexes in near-southwest Houston which fit the description of "Sin Alley" in the mid-to-late 70s, such as the coke-fueled Chateau D'jion (with its notorious former resident... <_< )

Where was the coke-fueled Chateau D'jion located? And who was the former resident you speak of? :huh:

The goings on at what I've always heard described as "Sin Alley" in the 60s (Mid Lane) are no doubt tame to nowadays or even the 1970s. The events there were notorious enough though to give the area it's name and reputation. Maybe it was a place where nice River Oaks and Tanglewood kids smoked their first reefer...

Slightly off topic but Montrose was mentioned earlier in this thread and I'm wondering if anyone can comment on any 'beatnik' presense in that neighborhood or West U. during the 50's and/or early 1960s.

• 1 year later...

Mid Lane is only three blocks long between Westheimer and San Felipe. It was between The Deputy drive-in and Byron's Barbecue. There were about 15 buildings with 10 or 15 apartments each unit. 10 or so guys would sign onto a single lease so that they would always have a place to party (rent was cheap then) and everyone would help keep it clean. Lots of airline pilots and stews. If your party got boring you could always go next door to borrow a cup of sugar. Lots of partyers in the pools. I always thought they would change the name to Sin Alley, but in retrospect, they didn't have to.

Those old apartments are fading fast and being replaced by Mc Junk. I think some of them are pretty cool looking and are still there.

What about those shops on Mid Lane? I get my hair cut there now. Were those bars at one time? It's a neat little arragement of shops with its own unique vibe.

My high school government teacher who went to Rice used to tell me about Sin Alley.

He talked about seeing a nude volley ball game in one of the swimming pools late one night.

I kinda doubt that, though.

My high school government teacher who went to Rice used to tell me about Sin Alley.

He talked about seeing a nude volley ball game in one of the swimming pools late one night.

I kinda doubt that, though.

I don't. I saw a nude and fully aroused young man of about 20 standing on the corner of Mid Lane and Bettis late one Friday night in 1975 (I know the year because of the car I was driving). I was going to visit a friend in an apartment nearby. Traffic was very heavy and people didn't seem to be paying him any mind and we never heard a siren. By that time, supposedly, Sin Alley had moved west. My dentist's office is in that office complex and I think about that everytime I go to the dentist.

In the 50s from what I was told it was centered around Westheimer and Mandell - swingers and wife-swapping were the rage.

Mid Lane runs between Richmond and San Felipe, btw.

I don't. I saw a nude and fully aroused young man of about 20 standing on the corner of Mid Lane and Bettis late one Friday night in 1975

Too bad you didnt have some donuts handy, you could have tossed them at him and see if you get one, like horse shoes. Is it called ring toss? :lol:

I lived on Mid Lane and Alabama in the mid 70's. I didn't even know all that was going on right down the street. And no, brucesw, that was not me standing on that corner. At least I don't think so. My memory of those years is a little flawed. B)

I don't. I saw a nude and fully aroused young man of about 20 standing on the corner of Mid Lane and Bettis late one Friday night in 1975 (I know the year because of the car I was driving). I was going to visit a friend in an apartment nearby. Traffic was very heavy and people didn't seem to be paying him any mind and we never heard a siren. By that time, supposedly, Sin Alley had moved west. My dentist's office is in that office complex and I think about that everytime I go to the dentist.

In the 50s from what I was told it was centered around Westheimer and Mandell - swingers and wife-swapping were the rage.

Mid Lane runs between Richmond and San Felipe, btw.

ROTFLMAO!!!! That comment about the ring toss was freakin' HILARIOUS, Vert! :lol:

Ok, in all seriousness...I HOPE that wasn't a sleazy part of town in 1963 -- cos I was a newborn baby and my parents lived in an apt complex on Mid Lane back then! :unsure::blush::blink:

But, somehow, I don't think my conservative parents were the wild swinger type... :lol:

Archived