Bill Simmons Bashes Houston

N8TIV

BayouCityGirl:

I'm sure the Northeast is SOOOOOOOO perfect in everyway. While everyone is freezing their butts (can I curse here?) off, we had a little mild winter.

And that's my #1 reason for loving Houston so much. Our winters! I see news footage of those people all bundled up from head to toe, white sky, white all around and I sit back, smirk and say, "that's right!" All winter long we've maybe three of what I call "coat weekends".

Last weekend was misery to me. It zapped any life or energy right out of me. I hate cold and gloom. I wish the game had come on one of our 70 degree, clear sky weekends, which we've been having pretty frequently all winter. But that's what I love about Houston, it can be cold and dreary one day, but you know sun and warmth is just a day or two off. The folks in the Northest have no end in sight until well into spring. No thank you!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look, we all know that if he was actually somebody, he would have done more than stalk MJ from his dinner table for several hours seething over the idea of an invite to play spades.

This guy is a nobody. I actually suprised his "black superbowl" comment hasn't stirred up more attention.

What comes across in this article is that what's-his-name is a nobody who can't get invited to the best parties, meet famous people or afford the best accomodations.

Therefore, he's trying to shame and bully his way into having insecure Houstonians pick up his bar tabs and provide him with free hotel rooms, meals, transportation, etc. . It's an old game, but I've seldom seen it so artlessly done. "Be nice to me, or I'm gonna tell everyone that Houston sucks." It's called extortion.

Bill Simmons is the equivalent of an opinion writer, Not a sports journalist... He doesnt have to be factual, he writes based on what he fants and how he feels. His "Thing" is to be funny by being sarcastic and slightly mean and by basically saying nothing is a good as Boston. Perhaps part of his articles are out of jealousy.

You guys are way too much up in arms over this fellow and the fact that y'all are complaining about nitpicky stuff such as "getting tickets from pnut" or "bully insecure Houstonians into picking up his bartab".. and calling him a nobody.... ? And he's the jealous one ?? You're no better than him.

Plus, he's bitching that H-Town got 4 big events in 2 years? Sounds like a compliment to me. I don't care how you write it, that sounds good.

RedScare has it right. Read between the damn lines.

Houston is doing just fine in the sports world and as a host city and this amusing "Houston bashing" article proves it.

I agree with Hwy 6 on this.

I don't mind the bashing; I see it as a compliment. You don't bash Oklahoma City because nothing's happening there right now. Same with Charlotte, NC or dozens of other cities.

But the writer feels the need to get all up in arms for "having" to consistently have a good time at events in Houston.

If your schtick is to bash, then bash. Just don't be whiny. Hard to really get into your stuff when you sound whiny--especially if you reside in LA, which has problems almost identical to Houston's.

I am really surprised everyone is so up in arms about this article. I personally like Bill Simmons and have been reading his columns for years. He's funny (or at least I think he is). Is he writing serious hard-hitting journalism? Absolutely not.

Ok, so maybe he's not that fond of Houston. So what? A lot of his gripes were legitimate. Staying in the Galleria for a major event downtown? Bad idea. Why have we had three major sporting events in the last two years? I think it might have just a little something to do with the fact that we just constructed 3 brand new sports facilities.

He wasn't here to find the cutesy little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant that's sooooo good and you simply must go to at your earliest convenience. He wasn't here to go shopping at the Galleria. He wasn't here to visit a new exhibit at the museums. He wasn't here to take in a show at Numbers. He wasn't here to be immersed in Houston culture.

He was here for the NBA All-Star game and write a humorous take on his experience. That means going to bars downtown, going to exclusive parties, going to the Saturday night All-Star activities, going to the game, waving to celebrities and recounting a humorous take of Roger Clemens' kid (maybe??) getting shut down by Snoop Dogg's posse. That's what he did and it worked.

Yes, he has a Boston bias (and a Clippers bias) and so what?? I have a Wisconsin sports bias. Who cares? Actually, I typically skip his overtly pro-Boston articles because they're so redundant. If you follow sports, you probably have a bias. That's what makes watching sports fun.

But if we're getting upset about a sports columnist saying a couple less than great things about Houston, take a step back. He came to the All-Start game in Houston. He said he absolutely would not going to the Super Bowl in Detroit. If you read between the lines, he actually had a decent time here.

No matter want any city does not everyone will like it or be impressed. Many people like it here though, for example Peter Jennings, or Jim Rome. Bob Hope loved it here and brought it up on the Carson show before. Ask your self why Avery Johnson, Robert Horry, Mario Ellie and others players for other teams in TX still make their main home here in Houston. I know Houston needs to improve on many points and is improving on many areas. Our city is creating a nice momentum over the past five years. I don't mean to rant but your always so damn cynical and pessimistic in majority of your post I have read.

Nick Van Exel who has never played for the Rockets also lives in Houston from what I understand. So do Mike Woodson (Clippers, Rockets player, Hawks coach...), Sam Cassell, Jaclyn Smith, Kings X, Kenny Smith, ZZ Top, Beyonce's family, then there's a celebrity chef who used to cook for Schwarzenegger and Michael Jackson who fled Los Angeles to move to Houston...

I got more of a tongue-in-cheek impression from Simmons' article, more or less. I was more infuriated with LA Times writer T.J. Simers over his 2004 Super Bowl brain farts and actually e-mailed him about. He kept referring to Houston as "Yahooville" in a rather non-friendly way and I sent him facts where Houston and L.A. are quite similar...so Los Angeles ought to be "Yahooville" as well.

I am really surprised everyone is so up in arms about this article. I personally like Bill Simmons and have been reading his columns for years. He's funny (or at least I think he is). Is he writing serious hard-hitting journalism? Absolutely not.

I haven't heard too much about this dude. Which cities other than New York, Miami, or L.A. has he ever said anything good about when it came to hosting a Super Bowl or All Star Game? (I'm only assuming he likes those three cities and no place else in America).

Ok, so maybe he's not that fond of Houston. So what? A lot of his gripes were legitimate. Staying in the Galleria for a major event downtown? Bad idea. Why have we had three major sporting events in the last two years? I think it might have just a little something to do with the fact that we just constructed 3 brand new sports facilities.

(don't 4get the World Series) :P

It's true that we wouldn't have had these events if our teams were still playing in the Astrodome and Summit. But we proved over and over again that Houston is capable of hosting big events like the one we have. And we're about to host a lot more, too. Expect an MLS All-Star Game, MLS championship game, NCAA national basketball championship, another Big 12 championship, maybe even an NHL All Star Game should we land an NHL franchise in the near future. And I truly feel that Houston deserved every one of those events.

Yes, he has a Boston bias (and a Clippers bias) and so what?? I have a Wisconsin sports bias. Who cares? Actually, I typically skip his overtly pro-Boston articles because they're so redundant. If you follow sports, you probably have a bias. That's what makes watching sports fun.

I'm biased to Houston, but it doesn't mean that I think we're the only good city in America. There may be people that read his columns and never been to Houston. Why would you want to travel here if you took his article seriously and really thought Houston was the way he depicted it?

But if we're getting upset about a sports columnist saying a couple less than great things about Houston, take a step back. He came to the All-Star game in Houston. He said he absolutely would not going to the Super Bowl in Detroit. If you read between the lines, he actually had a decent time here.

I wish he could have come out and said that if he really did.

I haven't heard too much about this dude. Which cities other than New York, Miami, or L.A. has he ever said anything good about when it came to hosting a Super Bowl or All Star Game? (I'm only assuming he likes those three cities and no place else in America).

(don't 4get the World Series) :P

It's true that we wouldn't have had these events if our teams were still playing in the Astrodome and 8?Summit. But we proved over and over again that Houston is capable of hosting big events like the one we have. And we're about to host a lot more, too. Expect an MLS All-Star Game, MLS championship game, NCAA national basketball championship, another Big 12 championship, maybe even an NHL All Star Game should we land an NHL franchise in the near future. And I truly feel that Houston deserved every one of those events.

I'm biased to Houston, but it doesn't mean that I think we're the only good city in America. There may be people that read his columns and never been to Houston. Why would you want to travel here if you took his article seriously and really thought Houston was the way he depicted it?

I wish he could have come out and said that if he really did.

Houston is plenty capable of holding major sporting events. But like I said, a lot of it has to do with having new facilities. Every new baseball stadium that opens gets an All-Star game. Typically, the Super Bowl is held in warm weather climates (miami, nola, san diego) so Houston fits that. Except when it was here, it was 50 and rainy. Rather crummy weather for the NBA all-star game, too. The weather isn't quite as reliable here as it is in Miami or San Diego. Look at the next four: Miami, Phoenix, Tampa, Miami.

But yes, Houston has done fine. The reviews for the Super Bowl here were actually good, and it angers me that we didn't get another shot when they just awarded the 2010 Super Bowl a month ago.

One more thing on Bill Simmons. If you're taking it seriously, you've probably never read the guy's articles and probably deserve whatever quick-judging opinion you have. If you had read him more, you'd also know that he went to the J'Ville SB last year and hated it much more than Houston. Here's what he said last year:

If anything, the past two days made me appreciate Houston's performance last year, a city that faced the same logistical problems and conquered many of them. I don't think Houston should have hosted a Super Bowl either, and those last two days were a certifiable train wreck. But at least they had enough hotels. At least there were a decent number of cabs. At least there was a recognizable downtown area. At least they had the Light Rail, with the bonus that you might get to see some drunken pedestrian bouncing off it. Houston was 10 times more prepared than Jacksonville is right now.

Or this as well:

Best hotel: The Adams Mark Hotel

This is like handing out the award for "Most enjoyable Creed album" -- there isn't an upscale hotel in this entire city. But the Adams Mark seems like the nicest one. Although the Hilton has the best late-night bar scene. Still, nothing like the scene at the Icon in Houston last year.

Best hotel: Houstonian (okay I am not biased because my family memeber owns it ;P)

How many times can he say "at least":

"But at least they had enough hotels"

"At least there were a decent number of cabs"

"At least there was a recognizable downtown area."

"At least they had the Light Rail, with the bonus that you might get to see some drunken pedestrian bouncing off it"

http://www.infidelguy.com/ftopicp-341003-G...GOP_conven.html

I don't care what color people are!

I hate it when people have to lump race into any type of topic like sports or culture. We're PEOPLE!!!

Jimmy the Greek got into biggg trouble saying something like that.

That blacks are better athletes and that Houston is a lousy city are both cliches, which writers resort to when they can't think of anything better to write. That doesn't mean though that there isn't an element of truth to some of it, just that it's exagerated for the sake of getting a cheap reaction out of an audience.

OK, BCGirl, take your blood pressure medicine and calm down. Simmons won't be writing about Houston for "at least" 2 more years when the NCAAs come to town. Schultz is right. The guy makes a living as a smartass. This is the price we pay for being in the limelight. People take potshots at you. It is a form of flattery. Would you like it better if Simmons had NO reason to come here?

All of those celebrity shows you love to watch report on juicy gossip on the celebs. The celebs get pissed. But, do any of them quit going out in public? Of course not. They love the pub. And so do we. But, with the fluff pieces, you also get Bill simmons slapping us down. Comes with the territory. Deal with it.

Remember, Big Cities can take it. Small towns get their feelings hurt.

I know you're right, and I've made exactly that "Big cities can take it" argument myself on this board many times in the past, but for some reason that article just really annoyed me. I think it was because he was just crabbing without really explaining what it was he didn't like.

People that delicate flower about our city simply don't understand it, which means they haven't taken the time to do so. If I had a nickel for everyone in NYC who physically BALKED when I said I was from Houston...good grief, I'd be loaded. People up there don't get it, and don't want to.

That's okay! I love it here, it's my home, and they don't know what they're missing. Hey, I'm not the one who has to dig my car out from 10 inches of snow.

But yes, Houston has done fine. The reviews for the Super Bowl here were actually good, and it angers me that we didn't get another shot when they just awarded the 2010 Super Bowl a month ago.

Me too

One more thing on Bill Simmons. If you're taking it seriously, you've probably never read the guy's articles and probably deserve whatever quick-judging opinion you have. If you had read him more, you'd also know that he went to the J'Ville SB last year and hated it much more than Houston. Here's what he said last year:

If anything, the past two days made me appreciate Houston's performance last year, a city that faced the same logistical problems and conquered many of them. I don't think Houston should have hosted a Super Bowl either, and those last two days were a certifiable train wreck. But at least they had enough hotels. At least there were a decent number of cabs. At least there was a recognizable downtown area. At least they had the Light Rail, with the bonus that you might get to see some drunken pedestrian bouncing off it. Houston was 10 times more prepared than Jacksonville is right now.

Still, nothing like the scene at the Icon in Houston last year.

That's just the thing. Why would anyone feel that Houston doesn't deserve these big events, especially after the job we did in 2004? I don't think any city was more prepared or put as much emphasis on the game than Houston did. Think of all the dfferent things that opened up with the deadline being the month before the Super Bowl that year. Light Rail. Hiltons America. Main Event. GRB expansion. Etc. Also, if you ask just about any unbiased dude, I wonder who they'd pick as to who the best host city was between Detroit, J'Ville, or Houston.

I think the dude really feels the way he wrote, which is quite frightening. Our city officials wanted to host these events to show the world how great a city Houston is. That we should have been hosting more of these events before in the first place. And that we deserve to host more. Bob McNair wanted the Super Bowl in 2004 because he wanted Houston to host it regularly with Miami, Arizona, Nawleans. (at least once every 5-6 years.) Quite frankly, I don't understand how articles like this help his case.

OK, BCGirl, take your blood pressure medicine and calm down.

*Okay Redscare stop trying to anlayze me (which you failed at) and I'm not pissed. I was actually having fun with this subject before some people decide to post here and get it closed (ruining our posting fun for everyone)

Simmons won't be writing about Houston for "at least" 2 more years when the NCAAs come to town. Schultz is right. The guy makes a living as a smartass. This is the price we pay for being in the limelight. People take potshots at you. It is a form of flattery. Would you like it better if Simmons had NO reason to come here?

*Personally, I would care less. He's a nobody. Well I guess I'm not into sports and I don't care if he came here or not.

All of those celebrity shows you love to watch report on juicy gossip on the celebs. The celebs get pissed. But, do any of them quit going out in public? Of course not. They love the pub. And so do we. But, with the fluff pieces, you also get Bill simmons slapping us down. Comes with the territory. Deal with it.

*Well the most things celebs are pissed at really is reality TV. It takes their job away. Well they have to go out in public. They are human beings. They have everyday lives. I don't care if they are famous or not. To me they are just people. Not all celebrities love the public. Alot of celebrities are insecure and shy. I know of an actress who loves her work but won't deal with her fans because she is very shy. (she's not a big actress as far as fame goes) but she has performed on more sci fi then anything. It depends on the celeb and again they are just people. (Why do you sound so pissy in your post?)

Remember, Big Cities can take it. Small towns get their feelings hurt.

*Take what? I don't think your making much sense here.

I was watching Letterman last night and realized something: Thank God we're NOT New Jersey! You think we get bashed? EVERYONE from the east coast bashes Jersey - both in fiction and non-fictional media.

Could you imagine being the permanant punch-line for half the nation?

Me too

That's just the thing. Why would anyone feel that Houston doesn't deserve these big events, especially after the job we did in 2004? I don't think any city was more prepared or put as much emphasis on the game than Houston did. Think of all the dfferent things that opened up with the deadline being the month before the Super Bowl that year. Light Rail. Hiltons America. Main Event. GRB expansion. Etc. Also, if you ask just about any unbiased dude, I wonder who they'd pick as to who the best host city was between Detroit, J'Ville, or Houston.

I think the dude really feels the way he wrote, which is quite frightening. Our city officials wanted to host these events to show the world how great a city Houston is. That we should have been hosting more of these events before in the first place. And that we deserve to host more. Bob McNair wanted the Super Bowl in 2004 because he wanted Houston to host it regularly with Miami, Arizona, Nawleans. (at least once every 5-6 years.) Quite frankly, I don't understand how articles like this help his case.

It all goes back to the "Why don't more people visit Houston?" discussion that has been chewed up on this board daily. Houston is very much on the rise. I've only been here for two and a half years and the changes have been absolutely dramatic, and a lot of that is due to the Super Bowl and other events. I think each and every one of us here could come up with 20 ways to improve the city, without any consideration for tourism, just for our own benefit. Bill Simmons has a few problems with Houston; so do a lot of us. But Houston is moving in the right direction and more development ITL and especially downtown will greatly improve Houston's image throughout the country and the world. Maybe Houston needs to act like there's a Super Bowl coming every year.

I agree. I've long since said that there needs to be more bravado in Houston rather than the knee-jerk "woe is up" response to every supposed "observation" of what Houston is or isn't. I do enough traveling that 90% of these so called observations of Houston flaws are universal to American cities, including glorious New York. The problem is that people in Houston seem far too willing (or maybe it's just this site) to assume that any negative that is associated with Houston is unique to Houston.

Maybe because I'm not a native I don't understand that willingness to just accept this as valid without a closer inspection of what's being said and who's saying.

I agree. I've long since said that there needs to be more bravado in Houston rather than the knee-jerk "woe is up" response to every supposed "observation" of what Houston is or isn't. I do enough traveling that 90% of these so called observations of Houston flaws are universal to American cities, including glorious New York. The problem is that people in Houston seem far too willing (or maybe it's just this site) to assume that any negative that is associated with Houston is unique to Houston.

Maybe because I'm not a native I don't understand that willingness to just accept this as valid without a closer inspection of what's being said and who's saying.

Agreed.

I don't think my quality of life has materially changed since Bill Simmons angled for a laugh at my hometown's expense. If others think that my observations were too harsh, maybe they should chalk it up to my "Houston Bravado". :P

The guy has some nerve to write smack about Houston 3 days after he had a book signing at Borders. He's starved for attention...trying to get his name out there, just like a journalist in the heat of battle, etc. It comes with his job, he wants to make a little more coin...I don't blame him for trying, although I can still dislike his ignorant conclusions. His tactics are cheap, desperate and inconsistent. At this point, I'd love to see an Astros/Red Sox series next year. I will be on Main with my plastic cup full of victory beer, and he will surely find his way back to Houston writing about how he bumped shoulders with Tara Reid at the Icon.

What a great Simmons story that would be.

The guy has some nerve to write smack about Houston 3 days after he had a book signing at Borders. He's starved for attention...trying to get his name out there, just like a journalist in the heat of battle, etc. It comes with his job, he wants to make a little more coin...I don't blame him for trying, although I can still dislike his ignorant conclusions. His tactics are cheap, desperate and inconsistent. At this point, I'd love to see an Astros/Red Sox series next year. I will be on Main with my plastic cup full of victory beer, and he will surely find his way back to Houston writing about how he bumped shoulders with Tara Reid at the Icon.

What a great Simmons story that would be.

Think he'll be dumb enough to do another book signing in Houston? :lol:

If it means he'll be stalking celebs and more money for him! Just tell him the more important personal take limos, while the smucks like him take cabs.

So what does he do when he's in NY traffic in a cab? find something to whine about there too?

Bill Simmons has replied to all the Houston emails he received:

Take it for what you want. Feel free to get fired up again.

Bill Simmons replies to Houston

Now, the dude is just getting strange. LA can't pull off an All-Star game, either? They can do an Olympics, but not a piddly All-Star game? This follow up should make all of those whose feelings were hurt feel better. The guy has this vision of how it's supposed to work, yet virtually no American city can match his vision. It's not Houston or LA. It's him.

I have to admit, the Austin thing was funny. Figuring out a city in one day is preferable to a city big enough that it takes several days to see it. That is actually my GRIPE about Austin. After one day, you've seen it all.

Anyway, my orbit is still intact after response number 2. Hope y'alls is too. :lol:

yawn

Andwhat's so great about this "walking" business? It's a totally over-rated to get around.

I've heard about this new "walking" thing but I thought it only took place in parking lots from your car to the store. Huh. Go figure.

I like Houston. I like Austin. But they're for completely different reasons because they are completely different cities.

I just can't see myself publicly telling a city that I have fans in that I never want to visit them again because I thought their city was that bad.

Bill Simmons has every right to like or dislike how a city is constructed, and has every right to like or dislike how a city runs a big event. Me and him have every right to question if spending over a billion dollars in stadiums, and another billion dollars in convention center expansions, renovations, landscaping, and light rail is a good reason to be considered a city that's capable of hosting an event like an All-Star Game or Super Bowl. But what offended me was saying that Houston was so bad a city that he would never come back.

By the way, out of that list of 36 cities, I didn't see one that spent more money or put as much emphasis on the an All Star Game, Super Bowl,or new facilities than Houston did within the past few year. If Philidelphia, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Foxboro, or any of the other northern cities wanted to guarantee a Super Bowl, why didn't they go with a dome or retractable roof instead of open-air? That 's why Detroit was able to host. That, plus the amount of cities that don't have an NFL team on his list would eliminate at least 20 cities from the Super Bowl running right there. Now, who that's left has updated facilities? And who s willing to put in the effort to give the tourist a fun time?

He probably enjoyed Austin because all of the "darkies" (or whatever it is that he calls them) keep to themselves east of the freeway, out of the way of the yuppie tourists. I wonder if, as he was watching a show in Austin, he wondered about the "social and racial opposite" of white guys with guitars? Probably not...

Archived