Nicholson Hike And Bike Trail On W. 26th St.

30. ORDINANCE appropriating $2,239,788.00 from the Reimbursement of Equipment/Projects Fund 1850 (N-000420-0030-2-01) for purchase of the former Missouri Kansas Texas Railroad Corridor, consisting of approximately 40.907 acres (1,781,929 square feet) of land, for a Hike and Bike Trail and related purposes; approving and authorizing an exchange agreement between the State of Texas, by and through the Texas Department of Transportation, Seller, and the City of Houston, Purchaser, to purchase, in fee and easement, such property - $160,111.00 - Street & Bridge Consolidated Construction Fund

MKT funding approved today! What this means....I have no idea. Hopefully this is one of the final hurdles and we can see work commence in the next few months.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MKT funding approved today! What this means....I have no idea. Hopefully this is one of the final hurdles and we can see work commence in the next few months.

Well, one of the biggest things it means is that stories about TxDOT or HCTRA putting toll roads through the Heights should end, as the City of Houston will now own the property, with the intent of putting in a hike & bike trail. It likely also means that TxDOT's testing and inspections came out alright, so that construction can begin.

Yes, the City of Houston will buy the right-of-way, and it appears that the trail will be constructed. Great news.

However, is there anything to stop the City of Houston from selling the right of way to Metro or a toll road authority in the future (whether a month from now or 10 years from now)? I have not analyzed that issue, but my guess is that there is nothing to stop that except for opposition and outcry from Heights area residents and green space advocates. If anyone has thoughts on that issues, I would be interested to hear them.

A subequent sale to Metro or a toll road authority may be an unlikely possibility, or maybe not -- I do not know -- but unless there is a way to properly secure the use of the ROW for hike and bike for the future, proponents of the trail will need to remain organized and vigilant of Metro and toll road authorities so that quick action can be taken if something comes up.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got this: Got an attachment with it too, but I guess 486k is too big to upload or something...

The City of Houston appreciates your support of the MKT Rails to Trails Bikeway Project. This e-mail is to provide you with a status of this bikeway project. The MKT Trail is a Rails-to-Trails conversion project which consists of over 6 miles of a 10-foot-wide, concrete, multi-use hike and bike trail along the old Missouri, Kansas, Texas Southern Pacific railroad corridor. The trail runs on Nicholson from 26th Street to 7th Street, and from Shepherd along 7th Street, to Spring Street and White Oak Bayou under I-45, where it connects to the Houston Heritage Corridor West Trail providing a connection to the University of Houston and other downtown bikeways and destinations (see alignment map attached). Currently, the project design is nearing completion and the projected letting date by TxDOT for construction is May 2008. If you have further questions or concerns, please let us know by e-mail to Rita.Balchus@cityofhouston.net or by calling the Bikeway Program Coordinator, (713) 837-0003.

Thanks again for your support.

Sincerely,

Houston Bikeway Program

From the looks of many of those pictures, it looks like there is already a usable bike trail there. I wonder, would the bike trial be (for lack of a better descriptive term) "suburban" in nature with pavement/landscaping/signage everywhere or will they attempt to blend it in to the existing "natural" aesthetic?

The second option is much cheaper...

I'm sure the design will involve as you say "the suburban feel". The reason is money. The money for this trail comes from US gov't, and the trail must be usable for wheelchairs, etc. Thus, there are specific guidelines for pavement, width of trail, signage, grade, etc. The cost is MUCH more than just a clearance through the bushes. I believe it will have the same look as the Harrisburg trail east of downtown (which is pretty darn nice) and the Terry Hershey trail out west along Buffalo Bayou (which is really darn nice).

That's too bad, all of the urban hike/bike trails I've liked the most gave the appearance of a turn-off from a road into the woods. At any rate I must say I'm surprised that the "Houston Bikeway Program" has to follow federal accessibility guidelines for businesses, etc.

• 2 months later...

The latest edition of The Leader indicates that project design on the bike trail is nearly finished, and that construction contracts are to be awarded in June. Additionally, a Houston Chronicle article includes an interesting squabble between the City, TxDOT, and METRO over an extension of the bike trail, from Shepherd to Hempstead Highway.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/5468333.html

Seems the City wants to link the bike trail to other trails, while TxDOT wants to build an attractive ditch over a mile long for freeway runoff, and METRO wants to make sure its commuter rail is not derailed.

The latest edition of The Leader indicates that project design on the bike trail is nearly finished, and that construction contracts are to be awarded in June.

Well, if it's in The Leader, it must be official :D

Additionally, a Houston Chronicle article includes an interesting squabble between the City, TxDOT, and METRO over an extension of the bike trail, from Shepherd to Hempstead Highway. Seems the City wants to link the bike trail to other trails, while TxDOT wants to build an attractive ditch over a mile long for freeway runoff, and METRO wants to make sure its commuter rail is not derailed.

Interesting...I had not heard about TXDOT's plans. It would make sense, at least, for the trail to continue through to TC Jester and connect to the trail at 11th. If it only went that far, that would allow for TXDOT's drainage dreams come true.

Well, if it's in The Leader, it must be official :D

Yeah, I put my reputation at stake quoting from The Leader. ;)

You are right, though. If they run the extension only to the White Oak Bayou bike trail, it would be perfect. I suppose running it to Hempstead would get you closer to Memorial Park, but I'd be almost as happy with a White Oak link.

• 3 weeks later...
The latest edition of The Leader indicates that project design on the bike trail is nearly finished, and that construction contracts are to be awarded in June. Additionally, a Houston Chronicle article includes an interesting squabble between the City, TxDOT, and METRO over an extension of the bike trail, from Shepherd to Hempstead Highway.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/5468333.html

Seems the City wants to link the bike trail to other trails, while TxDOT wants to build an attractive ditch over a mile long for freeway runoff, and METRO wants to make sure its commuter rail is not derailed.

This week's update from the City:

"First, thank you for the support of this rail to trail bikeway project.

I can certainly understand your disappointment in the delay of such a highly visible rail to trail bikeway project. Though there have been delays in the past, we have worked through each of the circumstances, and are anxious as well to bring this project to construction.

Let me explain our current activities. The 100% design plans are under review at TxDOT. There are items that are being worked out between the City of Houston, Harris County Flood Control, TxDOT and the consultant. Work on these items are in progress, and we hope to close all pending matters by the end of April '08. Federal funding is in place, as well as the City of Houston local match.

As we work daily on this project, as well as other trail projects, we can better determine the estimated letting dates. As of today, we are tracking a proposed letting date of July '08, and hope to possibly expedite to June '08. I know it sounds like more delay, but it is a realistic look at how long it will take to close all pending items. Once the project is let for construction, the estimated construction start date is September '08.

I hope this gives you a better idea of the status of the MKT Rails to Trails bikeway project. Please stay in touch with us and I will do my best to keep you informed of all progress.

Rita Balchus

City of Houston Bikeway Program""

Please email Rita to let her know we are anxious for this to move forward. Rita.Balchus@cityofhouston.net

• 3 weeks later...
I saw this on TxDOT's letting schedule.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgcha...s.htm#091271700

Hopefully, it means that construction really will start this summer.

This information received from the City today:

"Thank you for contacting our office in regards to the Nicholson Street Hike and Bike Trail. The community of Houston and myself would like to see this project started as soon as possible. I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know the status of this project and assure you that it is scheduled to be completed.

The Nicholson Hike and Bike Trail is a part of the MKT Rail to Trail project. The design of the trail has been completed. The City of Houston has completed acquisition of the MKT corridor. The design is currently under review at TxDot.

As of date following are the estimated letting and construction start dates:

Contract is expected to be let for bidding in July 2008

Estimated Construction Start Date: September 2008, project could last up to 12-18 months.

The entire MKT Rail to Rail project will be an added asset to the Houston community and will serve to encourage bicycling and alternative forms of transportation in our great city.

Thank you for your patience on this project, I am as anxious are the community to see this done. During the construction period, I will also need your continued patience as any construction project can create some degree of inconvenience.

Please feel free to contact my office at (713) 247-2003, should you have any additional questions or concerns. You may also contact Rita Balchus with the Houston Bikeway Program at 713-837-0003.

Sincerely,

Adrian Garcia

Mayor ProTem"

• 3 weeks later...

While the July letting date appears to be correct from the information I have, it is my understanding that the construction will likely not commence until early 2009.

Yes, this is another delay, but I hope that it will be the last. I would urge you all to e-mail Jessica Farrar, Adrian Garcia, TxDot, Houston Bikeways and any other relevant officials ON A REGULAR BASIS to politely request that they keep this trail high on their priorities.

Until the trail is a reality, we'll simply have to stay on them.

Also, notice of meeting:

A public meeting with TXDOT to get citizen feedback to support a hike/bike trail along the MKT right-of-way N. of I-10 (Eureka train yards) will be held Thurs, March 20, 7pm TXDOT offices, 7600 Washington.

This is LAST CALL to amend TXDOT plans for drainage improvements that would destroy recreational use. There is a way to do both, but we need your support to show interest!!

This is LAST CALL to save this wilderness corridor!!

Hike and Bike Trail vs. Flood Detention Channel??

Contact: Linda Mercer 713-542-5071; Max Beauregard 713/864-0549

Express your support to create a vital linkage of a hike/bike trail system along a portion of the abandoned right-of-way along the MKT railroad corridor between White Oak Bayou/TC Jester and Hempstead Hwy. Conflicting proposals for this City-owned parcel of land exist between TXDOT, which wants to use it for flood control/drainage; and neighborhood groups which see it as a critical recreational link from Downtown to Memorial Park; with further connections north to the Heights along the MKT/Nicholson St and White Oak Bayou/TC Jester.

Help SAVE a hike/bike trail system for the Heights area !!

Attend this important meeting to speak out against TXDOT!!

Thursday, March 20, 7 PM, 7600 Washington at TXDOT offices

The meeting will open with comments from State Representative Jessica Farrar and TXDOT. City of Houston officials will attend. Time will be allocated for community members to comment and ask questions. Formal public hearings have already been held and TXDOT has already been given funding approval to proceed with the culvert/drainage project this summer. However, according to the City landowners representative, Mr. Michael Marcotte, Director of City of Houston Public Works and Engineering, changes to the plans can be made before TXDOT construction begins.

This is LAST CALL to save this wilderness corridor!!

• 4 weeks later...
I live on 12th and Nicholson. Just curious. Do you think property value will go up for houses near the trail?

I think it will be an enhancement to nearby property values, yes. That seems to be the bet the developers are making on Nicholson, as well.

This project fits the Heights, well. It should not have lifestyle incursions (like living on/near a cool strip and having peole yack or pee in your shrubs). It's a unique element.

• 2 weeks later...

As I was walking down Nicholson tonite, I noticed construction in the 1500 block, across from 1520 Nicholson, where the driveways for the new houses will cross the Hike and Bike Trail. I thought we were beyond this, and that no new driveways were going to be allowed to cross that land? There used to be one house there, with the driveway coming through to the Herkimer side. Then, when the developer bought the land, they tore down the house and garage, and put in a fake driveway across the Hike and Bike Trail. I called the 311 line to raise questions about this; I guess nothing was ever done and the permit department issued new permits allowing this to happen. Does anyone think this will cause additonal problems?

Does anyone think this will cause additonal problems?

bring the specific information to your councilperson. this seems odd if not illegal (particularly when you see the occasional no motorized vehicles sign while riding)

Does anyone think this will cause additonal problems?

Seems like it will only cause additional problems for the homeowner who suddenly has his driveway ripped out. No matter what they do, or what permits are issued, the land does not belong to the homeowner. When the City is ready to build, the driveway is coming out. I seriously doubt that the new trail will include driveways for the homeowners, except in rare cases where that is the only access to the property.

As I was walking down Nicholson tonite, I noticed construction in the 1500 block, across from 1520 Nicholson, where the driveways for the new houses will cross the Hike and Bike Trail. Does anyone think this will cause additonal problems?

I was a little surprised by this, as well. Here's the listing for one of the two, which are essentialy twins. The odd thing is that several driveways cross the right of way which, as RedScare alluded to, has long belonged to TXDOT. The five-year old home in the 1400 block of Herkimer and several newer homes at the top of the 1100 block of Herkimer have back driveways crossing the right of way. The large metal building in the 1300 block has a parking pad adjacent to the trail. I think these will all be grandfathered with the understanding that drivers must yield to bikers and hikers.

There are going to be other problems of enforcement, though. I imagine that if there is not much barrier (grading or curbs), people, particularly construction workers, will park their vehicles on the trail, since Nicholson is so narrow from W 16th to W 7th.

EDIT: Further ponderance: There may also be a problem for a handful of propeties between W 19th and W 16th. The right of way on those three blocks runs down the middle of Nicholson. I would expect that they would re-align the street so that the trail continues on the east side down to 16th, then switches to the right of way on the west side. The driveways for a handful of Tricon firehouses and the strip center with Thai Spice would then be effected, as well.

• 1 month later...

Would this just go down Nicholson, or does it extend down the old rail ROW that parallels 7th St behind Lawrence Park from Shepherd, heads east and then veers south to the old wooden bridge across White Oak Bayou that you can see from I-10? That would be cool if it went down there. People walk/bike down that ROW already, it would be nice to have some grooming to manage the overgrowth.

Am I the only one who thinks this hike and bike trail will NEVER happen?

I gave up 2 years ago when it had already been delayed a few years, and here we are a few years after that. I hope I'm wrong, but I have to venture a guess that a public works project given a green light that is still being delayed 4+ years later is doomed and we are just getting lip service until the real plan emerges.

Would this just go down Nicholson, or does it extend down the old rail ROW that parallels 7th St behind Lawrence Park from Shepherd, heads east and then veers south to the old wooden bridge across White Oak Bayou that you can see from I-10? That would be cool if it went down there. People walk/bike down that ROW already, it would be nice to have some grooming to manage the overgrowth.

Down Nicholson 28th to 7th, then hooking east on the right-of-way. You can see pics on the previous page of this thread. I cut some because it was making the page loaading cumbersome.

I think it will happen. Just too many hands on it - COH coordination, Federal funds, TXDOT ownership of the right-of-way. Oh yeah, and attempted interloping by Metro. <_<

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have an update on the bike trail? Just curious - been a little while since the last update...

Update received today from the City:

Thank you for contacting our office in regards to the Nicholson Street Hike and Bike Trail. The community of Houston and myself would like to see this project started as soon as possible. I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know the status of this project and assure you that it is scheduled to be completed.

The Nicholson Hike and Bike Trail is a part of the MKT Rail to Trail project. The design of the trail has been completed. The City of Houston has completed acquisition of the MKT corridor. The design is currently under review at TxDot.

As of date following are the estimated letting and construction start dates:

Contract is expected to be let for bidding in July 2008

Estimated Construction Start Date: September 2008, project could last up to 12-18 months.

The entire MKT Rail to Rail project will be an added asset to the Houston community and will serve to encourage bicycling and alternative forms of transportation in our great city.

Thank you for your patience on this project, I am as anxious are the community to see this done. During the construction period, I will also need your continued patience as any construction project can create some degree of inconvenience.

Please feel free to contact my office at (832)393-3003, should you have any additional questions or concerns. You may also contact Rita Balchus with the Houston Bikeway Program at 713-837-0003.

Sincerely,

Adrian Garcia

• 2 weeks later...

Some more comment on this latest reply from Councilman Garcia:

http://blogs.chron.com/heights/2008/07/pos...hikebike_t.html

As the blog post aptly points out, this is positive news but is worthy of skepticism.

Adrian Garcia will not get my vote in November for sheriff if there is any further delay. This sounds extreme, but here is why I have come to this position:

- He has been fully aware from his first day in his current office that many Heights residents have wanted this trail. I hope there are no further delays, but regardless, the 9 year delay is an abysmal display of city and state bureaucracy and leadership (by Garcia and many others).

- I realize that he has otherwise done some good things and may be a better sherriff than his adversary, but as a matter of principle, I cannot vote for his promotion to a higher office if he leaves his current office without construction being commenced on this trail. It is an issue of trust and competency.

If you agree, then send Councilman Garcia a polite email to let him know that your vote turns on this 1 issue.

districth@cityofhouston.net

We may be on track for September construction, or we may not -- we have no way of knowing, and if the past is any indication, there will be further delay. If so, this type of communication to Councilman Garcia will make sure he is properly incentivized to act now and prevent further delay.

Archived