Ripping out the Abandoned Rail on Walker St.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

Seems like a bad spot for a light pole. Does this mean the street is being closed to cars?

I believe it will be a TOUCAN (or I could be totally wrong), but if I am right, It'll look like this:

image.jpeg.19cd87aede924a136db103049a4c6156.jpeg

So the intersection will only allow right turns for cars (not straight or left) but allow pedestrians and bikes to cross safely to the Columbia Tap Trail. 

Edited by Justin Welling
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Justin Welling said:

I believe it will be a TOUCAN (or I could be totally wrong), but if I am right, It'll look like this:

So the intersection will only allow right turns for cars (not straight or left) but allow pedestrians and bikes to cross safely to the Columbia Tap Trail. 

3 hours ago, JBTX said:

Almost certainly part of a bike lane. There was one on the road before.

1 hour ago, HoustonMidtown said:

There is an identical one across Emancipation in the same location (you can see it in Hindesky's pic above)

The bike lane was originally two way on the north side of the street, but the base is in the center. And I doubt the pole would be between two directions of bike travel.

After some researching on intersection design, I'm GUESSING they will split up the bike lanes to match car lanes (safer) and the pole will actually be part of an island for the crosswalk.

Whoever is correct gets a lifetime supply of internet credibility! 

Page 22 of the Goal Park Master Plan shows a raised median on Walker and a few other raised curbs at that intersection for the bike/ped crossing across Emancipation into the park. Calls it a EHRA Safe Crossing and I don't know what that means, but the Toucan picture looks like the right idea.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TXK said:

Page 22 of the Goal Park Master Plan shows a raised median on Walker and a few other raised curbs at that intersection for the bike/ped crossing across Emancipation into the park. Calls it a EHRA Safe Crossing and I don't know what that means, but the Toucan picture looks like the right idea.

SmartSelect_20230728_213324_Adobe Acrobat
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...