Entire Block For Sale At Elgin/Bagby/Rosalie/Brazos St.

Amlaham

Selfishly I'd like to see all the canna lilies from the front yard of Ardith moved to the boring green median at turn lane of Bagby and Westheimer.

Somehow the notion of retaining green plantings and transferring to public green space isn't much of a conversation starter.......but ask for monies from COH to buy plants for public green space and your ear will go numb from all the yammering concerning NMA (no money available)

sigh

I would be interested in seeing if anything could be recovered in an archeological dig after the buildings are gone but before new build starts. New developer could get great PR by allowing Rice archeology students to dig for a few months. Yes of course my pie in the sky is showing- but really, a new mid-rise is probably a yawn. .....but the potential of what could be found is ...........mesmerizing.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 1:53 PM, hindesky said:

People going to the Maple Leaf and Joe's Place have been using it for parking. I wonder where the future customers of Cajun Stick will park?

I thought Joes place was closed?

13 hours ago, trymahjong said:

I would be interested in seeing if anything could be recovered in an archeological dig after the buildings are gone but before new build starts. New developer could get great PR by allowing Rice archeology students to dig for a few months. Yes of course my pie in the sky is showing- but really, a new mid-rise is probably a yawn. .....but the potential of what could be found is ...........mesmerizing.

Cool idea.  Have Rice try it with the broker

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 11:29 AM, Amlaham said:

This entire block is up for sale; not sure how long it's been up for. On the property there is a couple of town houses and an old house used as a store. 

This could be something really huge or nothing at all depending on who buys the lot. 

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/Westheimer-Elgin-Bagby-St-Houston-TX/27811183/

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 11.25.52 AM

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 11.26.28 AM

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 11.26.49 AM

The block that's bounded by Elgin St, Brazos St, Rosalie St, and Bagby St includes:

• 433 Elgin St (parking lot use for former Joe's Place / forthcoming Stick Talk parking)
  • 3102 Brazos St
  • 3106 Brazos St
  • 3110 Brazos St
  • 402 Rosalie St
  • 404 Rosalie St
  • 406 Rosalie St
  • 3111 Bagby St ( Ardith & Paul Custom Picture Framing is located here)

bmXmnii.jpg

Below is the parcel map for block 9 in the Fairgrounds subdivision. It includes outlined lots.

jNtor4N.jpg

Parcel map with parcel addresses included

z8DC1qx.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I guess I must agree with Tennesse Williams characters : I find myself depending " On the kindness of strangers" but with a twist.......developers.

particularly The future Developer  and ( hopefully)future kindness towards the median at Westheimer/Elgin/Bagby- which falls outside of both Midtown, and Montrose TIRZ- so seems improvements must come from private entities. I don't know any kazillioaires, so I'm hopeful of a " green leaning" developer.

so whoever .....whatever Developer purchases these lots at Rosalie and Bagby- As you begin the tear down- please consider trans planting, the shrubs from ROW and the huge plot of Cannas  that flank the front doors of Ardith's...... transplant across the street at that patch of grass median? Surely that will generate positive PR. Positive PR surely would be of help to any developer.

IMG_1237.png

• Thanks 1

The residential building cattycorner from this block has (aerial image reveals) a swimming pool on the corner of Bagby and Westheimer behind the blank wall.  But I do like the height of the walkway that protrudes eastward from that building to make the pool patio feel at least a little more domestic and cozy or shaded and connected to it all.  Home sweet home.

Now given that this site for sale faces SSW, it could be a prime candidate for a city setback variance to let it build conditioned space over the sidewalk above the second floor, structurally covering the sidewalk below.

In sun and rain that allows pedestrians a walking passage of similarly lofty size to that of the cattycorner arcaded walkway at the swimming pool.  

Only one lone small street tree would have to go or suffer.  

An even nicer variance would allow the lofty sidewalk shade to extend farther in cabled fabric form over the entire crosswalk in both directions-- from the median island, to here, and from here all the way to Whole Foods.  Drivers could then call it an informal porte-cochere

Edited by strickn
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2023 at 8:35 PM, strickn said:

Cool idea.  Have Rice try it with the broker

So desperate to motivate you to do your archaeological quest (volunteer to help them get the paperwork rolling or get a local grantmaking foundation onboard to let high school and middle school students participate even!) that I selfliked my own comment... eek

This is the type of dialog that has my brain Brume parting, clearing the way for me to  and wonder  if there is a midway type of kazillionaire that would get a bang out of an urban project that hit bases of archeology and ecology-- a quirky sort of kazillionaire who landed somewhere between donating a huge public library like Carnegie and making a huge rocket ship like Musk.

yup some sort of philanthropic  someone who would shake up what was suppose to awe us; thinking outside of what was expected and introducing us to urban projects  that combine  history, archeology.  Redefining  green spaces  forward that would provide hints of engineering ( like installing French drain 5o collect runoff- or a prototype smaller wind turban for lighting area), urban kindness ( everyone enjoys shade)  and architecture ( the whole  shabang looks great)---- but kazillionaire urban innovators that would inspire young Minds in a quirky way,  seem to be in short supply.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Entire Block For Sale At Elgin/Bagby/Rosalie/Brazos St.