Backing Up Your Hard Drive

How often do you back up the hard drive on your computer, and how do you do it? I know it's one of the things that you should do regularly, but when I've used the windows backup facility it takes days. My desktop is five years old, so it's time to worry about this.

Thanks

I have given up on back-up utilities. My primary drive is only 20gb, and runs the OS plus any installed applications.

I keep all my media on a second drive. Currently, I have a 200gb drive with all my pictures, videos, document, installs, etc. I have a 250gb external firewire drive that I use to back these files up with. On a slow Sunday night right before bed, I'll drag & drop all my folders (I have the drive divided into 6 primary catagories) onto the external drive. By morning everything is backed up, and I put the external drive back in my fire proof case.

If my primary drive ever crashes I'd rather do clean installs of the applications I'm currently using, versus restoring my old enviroment. In a way a primary drive crash forces me to get rid of old applications no longer ran, hidden corrupt files, spyware, etc.

EDIT: I back my files up about once a month, if I remember to.

How often do you back up the hard drive on your computer, and how do you do it? I know it's one of the things that you should do regularly, but when I've used the windows backup facility it takes days. My desktop is five years old, so it's time to worry about this.

Thanks

Every night. All my importanti folders are sync'd with the fileserver at work, and all the servers get rolled off onto Ultrium every night.

I have an old iPod with a dead battery that I use as a backup device. Plug it in, and it's a 40GB external hard drive. I just drag files on to it and keep it in a safe place. No waiting for compression. No burning a million CDs or DVDs.

I have a Smart Folder set up that collects all of the new and changed files on the system. I just drag that onto the iPod. Takes between 5 and 30 minutes to complete, depending on how many files I've made or changed.

I have an old iPod with a dead battery that I use as a backup device. Plug it in, and it's a 40GB external hard drive. I just drag files on to it and keep it in a safe place. No waiting for compression. No burning a million CDs or DVDs.

Very smart, and efficient!

Archived