5a/4a

Ashikaga

I just saw an updated table of the high schools in Texas as to if their football teams are in Class 5A, 4/A, etc. Most of the high schools in Houston (including Milby, the one that I would have attended) are in Class 5A. But some Houston high schools are in Class 4A. Is a class that a high school is in determined solely by the number of students attending it, or are there other factors?

I just saw an updated table of the high schools in Texas as to if their football teams are in Class 5A, 4/A, etc. Most of the high schools in Houston (including Milby, the one that I would have attended) are in Class 5A. But some Houston high schools are in Class 4A. Is a class that a high school is in determined solely by the number of students attending it, or are there other factors?

The simple answer is that the groupings are based by enrollment. One notable exception - some schools will "opt up" to a larger classification - sometimes for geographic or rivalry reasons. But you can't "opt down."

I know Dobie is 5A. I think all of the other Pasadena ISD schools are 5A too.

BTW Spring Branch ISD Memorial is in the city limits of Hedwig Village.

The following high schools are also in the Houston city limits:

*All three regular Alief ISD high schools (Elsik, Hastings, Taylor)

*Aldine High (Aldine ISD)

*Clear Lake High (Clear Creek ISD)

*Dobie High (Pasadena ISD)

*Eisenhower High (Aldine ISD)

*Kingwood High (Humble ISD)

*Kingwood Park High (Humble ISD)

*Both North Forest ISD high schools (Forest Brook, Smiley)

*Northbrook High (Spring Branch ISD)

*Spring Woods High (Spring Branch ISD)

*Stratford High (Spring Branch ISD)

*Willowridge High (Fort Bend ISD)

Of those schools AFAIK only the North Forest schools and Willowridge are 4A.

NEW SCHOOLS AND SCHOOLS CHANGING

CONFERENCES FOR 2006-2007 & 2007-2008:

CLASS 5A: 1985 membership and above; 245 schools

CLASS 4A: 950 to 1984 membership range; 230 schools

CLASS 3A: 415 to 949 membership range; 179 schools

CLASS 2A: 195 to 414 membership range; 236 schools

CLASS 1A: 194 and below membership 355 Basketball Schools; 150 Eleven-Man Football Schools; 118 Six-Man Football Schools

NEW SCHOOLS AND SCHOOLS CHANGING

CONFERENCES FOR 2006-2007 & 2007-2008:

CLASS 5A: 1985 membership and above; 245 schools

CLASS 4A: 950 to 1984 membership range; 230 schools

CLASS 3A: 415 to 949 membership range; 179 schools

CLASS 2A: 195 to 414 membership range; 236 schools

CLASS 1A: 194 and below membership 355 Basketball Schools; 150 Eleven-Man Football Schools; 118 Six-Man Football Schools

I just thought of some questions. Some high schools start in the 9th Grade, some start in the 10th Grade. My high school started in the 9th Grade. Some others in my area started in the 10th Grade. Are they all different in the Houston area? Or is there some uniformity? For example, if a high school that started in the 9th Grade had 2,000 students, and another high school also had 2,000 students but it started in the 10th Grade, then in reality, then school that started in the 9th Grade would be "smaller", wouldn't it? Wouldn't the 9th Grade school go into 4A, and the 10th Grade school go into 5A? Or am I way off base?

Also, would anyone happen to know the closest school to the Houston area that has a six-man football team?

Archived