Terry Hershey Park - Bear Creek Park Connection?

Eddie

A while back someone told me there was a plan to build a trail under the new I-10 connecting the reservoir trail around Break Creek Park with Terry Hershey Park. This would be fantastic but I've not been able to find any references to it on the katy freeway site or via google.

Has anyone else heard of this?

• 2 years later...

I can see this post is a bit old, but it is so difficult to find information on trail construction in Houston that I thought I would post. This is definitly happening. The connection is going under I-10 near Eldridge. I think they are just waiting for I-10 to finish, I bike on Terry Hersey all the time, before the resurfacing started, you could see where they had prepped the ground and put up a retaining wall under I-10, on the east side of the Northernmost bayou bridge. There is a Parking lot that used to connect to the I-10 feeder that you have to through to see where it will go under, so it was easy to miss.

I can see this post is a bit old, but it is so difficult to find information on trail construction in Houston that I thought I would post. This is definitly happening. The connection is going under I-10 near Eldridge. I think they are just waiting for I-10 to finish, I bike on Terry Hersey all the time, before the resurfacing started, you could see where they had prepped the ground and put up a retaining wall under I-10, on the east side of the Northernmost bayou bridge. There is a Parking lot that used to connect to the I-10 feeder that you have to through to see where it will go under, so it was easy to miss.

How many more miles of trail with this add? We are on it every weekend. Hopefully they will "tree" this section like they did east of Dairy Ashford. West of DA is blazing hot in the sun.

Ha! A blast from the past. Thanks for replying. I've actually been off cycling since I posted that due to a car accident and a few other medical issues but am looking to get back in. This is great news, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
When will the trail be complete?

I am not sure but I would guess this fall with I-10. I went up to this area on the a bout a week ago (on the side of the trail that is not being resurfaced) and it looked like if you could go across now if you don't mind riding on the dirt. I have seen a sign on the north side of I-10 that has a sign on the top of the earthen dam that says "comming Soon Terry hershey Park Extension" (It amazes me that they can pay for these signs but can't put up any useful info on the PCT3 website).

The sign is exciting but I am a little scared that the trail will only go on the top of dam and be in the full sun. I have also heard rumors that the park is going to extend south at highway 6 to connect to the new Houston super trail on Brays Bayou (www.projectbrays.org ), and also near Beltway 8.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
<br />Cool, thanks for posting that! Now if I could just find a back way from Jersey Village to Bear Creek where I won't be run off the road or have bottles thrown at me I'd be a happy camper.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Any update on this?

• 1 month later...

It looks like it won't be open until after this winter. I haven't seen much happen on the part under I-10. The retaining wall is in place and the soil work has been completed so you can bike under it you want, but its been like that for 3 months or so. They are probably trying to finish the resurfacing along eldridge first. They added a big bridge across the bayou next to eldridge just recently (its not open yet), and a paved trail down to Enclave. They are probably trying to make a direct bike to work link from north of Bear Creek to the Enclave buiness park. (Which has expanded along with Eldridge)

• 2 weeks later...

What's funny is that I know Terry Hershey. Many people don't know she's still alive. She's very active in the Bayou Preservation Association and other public groups (angled towards the environment).

This trail is very much privately funded like much of the trails around the dams are. The Houston Bikeway office (and government in general) is too slow to push projects like this. The large corporations that are part of the Energy Corridor and the West Houston District are the main financial backing and pushers of these trails.

Enjoy the trails!

• 4 weeks later...

My grandmother lived in Wilchester West. Growing up we used to walk down the street to the bayou and feed the horses. It was a lot of fun to walk the trails. I was disappointed when they said they were clearing out all the horses, so I'm glad that Hershey Park turned out so well. Still, I do miss it the way it was.

This trail is very much privately funded like much of the trails around the dams are. The Houston Bikeway office (and government in general) is too slow to push projects like this. The large corporations that are part of the Energy Corridor and the West Houston District are the main financial backing and pushers of these trails.

The Bikeways office is ridiculously slow to move on things. Look on the website where you can download the map (http://www.publicworks.houstontx.gov/bikeways/maps.htm) and they've still got an 8 month detour from 2006 posted. The detour is long-gone.

BikeHouston is holding their annual meeting on January 27th at 6:30 p.m., in the Houston Environmental Center, 3015 Richmond, 1st floor conference room. The City of Houston Bicyclist-Pedestrian Coordinator is going to be there.

This trail got a mention in the Chronicle's Neighborhood News yesterday:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/ali...ws/6200713.html

The multi-use, 10-foot wide West Houston Trail, which runs parallel to Eldridge Parkway, connects the city's bike trails to Harris County Precinct 3's Terry Hershey Park and its trail network. The second phase, Raine said, will include a pedestrian-bicycle bridge across Buffalo Bayou.

"We had the groundbreaking on May 1, 2008, and the ribbon cutting is hopefully this May," Raine said. "We're just finishing construction on that, too. It's almost done."

• 2 months later...

Do you know if the parking lot is open where Terry Hershey trail meets Beltway 8? Last summer I found that it was closed due to construction. I'd rather park there then drive to Memoral/Eldridge.

• The title was changed to Terry Hershey Park - Bear Creek Park Connection?

Archived