New Show "great Day Houston"

KimberlySayWhat

I really want to like this show, but what aggravates me is that she rushes through segments. I have it on now, and they are talking about hairdryers. I would have liked for her to quit rushing the guests -- I got very little out of this segment. I wanted to know more about the different dryers, but Whitney wouldn't allow the guests to elaborate on anything. If you're going to cover a topic, then do it right. :(:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes Deborah Duncan's (or Debra as she was known then) show on ABC 13 was major, as Disney (ABC 13's owner) was testing the show in this market with plans to syndicate it nationally through its Buena Vista arm if it took off locally. However, while the ratings were okay here, Disney ultimately decided to go with other options (Tony Danza). Interesting sidenote: ABC 13 titled the show DEBRA Duncan instead of Deborah simply because it was easier to incorporate Debra into the logo designed for the show. I met Ms. Duncan backstage at the show during its first week and she is a perky and engaging presence...I don't think the full extent of her likability and talent was allowed to shine on the talk show, which I think was weighed down considerably by silly topics and lack of focus from the station.

The first time I saw Debbie Duncan on TV in Houston, I about flipped out. I remember her when she was playing the flute and performing in the marching band with me at John Marshall High in San Antonio. She was older though and graduated in 1980! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Someone must like her:Lone Star Emmy Awards

"The three-hour ceremony, held at the Verizon Wireless Theater here, was a back-slapper in which winners were recognized in 105 categories. In all, 24 Texas stations went home with at least one Emmy award......Other local award winners of note included Channel 11's Whitney Casey, program host, and Johnathan Walton, magazine program or special."

105 categories? They should skip the ceremony andl just toss regional Emmys to the assembled masses. Like Mardi Gras beads. <_<

Someone must like her:Lone Star Emmy Awards

"The three-hour ceremony, held at the Verizon Wireless Theater here, was a back-slapper in which winners were recognized in 105 categories. In all, 24 Texas stations went home with at least one Emmy award......Other local award winners of note included Channel 11's Whitney Casey, program host, and Johnathan Walton, magazine program or special."

105 categories? They should skip the ceremony andl just toss regional Emmys to the assembled masses. Like Mardi Gras beads. <_<

Tell me you're kidding. Whitney Casey and Jonathan Walton get Emmies? The two most annoying and insipid TV personalities in Houston? That tells me everything I need to know about the credibility of Regional Emmies.

...Other local award winners of note included Channel 11's Whitney Casey, program host, and Johnathan Walton, magazine program or special."

Tell me about it. Makes me wonder who Walton had to kick to get HIS emmy..

I can see it now! a Morning Show Melee'!

Tell me you're kidding. Whitney Casey and Jonathan Walton get Emmies? The two most annoying and insipid TV personalities in Houston? That tells me everything I need to know about the credibility of Regional Emmies.

...and the award for Most Vapid White Trash Infomercial Talk Show host goes to...WHITNEY CASEY!!!!!

The Morning After

scarlett-johannson-sexy-esquire-2.jpg

[iF THAT ASSWIPE WALTON TOOK MY LAST QUART OF COLT 45 I'M GONNA...UHHHHGGG...BARF!!!!]

I suppose I am missing out on something, but working M-F keeps me out of the loop; and on my days off, TV (particularly morning tele) won't cut it. I won't rush to turn on this program from my fella HAIFers' opinions. :P

You just don't know what you're missing! ;) Jonathon Walton did a report today on Good Day Houston. It was about a senior citizen dance group. He gave them a copy of Carmen Electra's DVD that teaches you how to do a lap dance. And they showed them doing it. :huh:

You just don't know what you're missing! ;) Jonathon Walton did a report today on Good Day Houston. It was about a senior citizen dance group. He gave them a copy of Carmen Electra's DVD that teaches you how to do a lap dance. And they showed them doing it. :huh:

Here is his entry, what a weirdo.

This JW news, winning an Emmy, selected by his peers? the fact that they went thru scripting, executing the stupid lapdance thing, and then someone was paid to edit it,,,,,,and no one said "wait a minute,,,"

I give up. this is so far beyond the dumbing down of america. i give up.

Hey, I was surfing the web and came across you're discussion about Great Day Houston. I work at KHOU and wanted to let everyone know to BOYCOTT THIS SHOW!! Whitney is the most arrogant and shallow person I have ever met. She degrades her staff members and constantly bickers with the producers, directors, and even the executive producer (who is also her boss). One day she and a producer took a catfight out to the parking lot that got pretty loud! She has the personality of a 14-y/o whiny girl (no offense to those out there!). When she doesnt get exactly what she wants (say a specific shot), she will whine and argue with the director in front of the audience. If she still does not get what she wants, she will storm off to her office and shut the door. I have heard the show director complain about having stomach pain after the show's tapings because he was so frustrated with her. The show is actually well written, but she does not follow the script and tries to improvise and ends up sounding very bad. She insults people on air and always makes the show about herself. When a guy was giving his e-mail out on air, she was saying "blah blah blah" very loudly. The rest of the staff is very degrading and arrogant as well. After talking with several people, and reading this forum, I get the impression that Houston does not like this show overall. The only way we will see it disspaear, however, is to change the channel!

Whitney is the epitome of vapidity. From the opening silly jingle -- similar to a kids show -- to her posing as a gardner, office exec, and fashionista she totally cracks me up. She reminds me of my daughter when she discovered Barbie. And Deputy Christine is her perfect sidekick. They address the audience as if we were still 16.

I love Whitney's thick belts and other fashion and hair statements. Everday a different combo! Exciting. And never a day w/out mentioning her Mom, followed by her dog. Well, its all about Whitney. Can she talk any faster? Always breathless excitement. And seldom is heard a poltical word or anything that would take this show from its Leave it to Beaver and Father Knows Best moorings. She runs Good Day like it is a sorority talent show.

For my morning dose of 1957 and vapidity, its the greatest. Why did Jason Seehorn dump her? Or vice-versa?

every time a new post hits this topic, i get all excited thinking that someone is going to announce she is leaving and being replaced by a decent host.

ah well.

you forget that this is the network that has kept jonathan walton on their payroll for some years, during "The NEWS!". whitney's not going anywhere.

Whitney is the epitome of vapidity. From the opening silly jingle -- similar to a kids show -- to her posing as a gardner, office exec, and fashionista she totally cracks me up. She reminds me of my daughter when she discovered Barbie. And Deputy Christine is her perfect sidekick. They address the audience as if we were still 16.

I love Whitney's thick belts and other fashion and hair statements. Everday a different combo! Exciting. And never a day w/out mentioning her Mom, followed by her dog. Well, its all about Whitney. Can she talk any faster? Always breathless excitement. And seldom is heard a poltical word or anything that would take this show from its Leave it to Beaver and Father Knows Best moorings. She runs Good Day like it is a sorority talent show.

For my morning dose of 1957 and vapidity, its the greatest. Why did Jason Seehorn dump her? Or vice-versa?

Do we really want to know why Sehorn and Whitney split up? Don't bother asking them because you won't get a truthful answer from either of them.

Get this. This is how Sehorn explained the divorce to Sports Illustrated.

"I should be grateful Whitney made the decision she did. We split, because, as she said, everything was about Jason, Jason, Jason, and she wanted to pursue a career."

"It wasn't really about Jason, Jason, Jason," Casey countered. "In my mind, Jason was like a knight and he will always be like a knight."

Isn't that special. Oh well. As King Arthur once said, "once a knight's enough."

Can I get in on this hatefest?

Man I can't stand this show. The hostest looks like she's high on drugs most of the time. And whoever posted that she looks like she had to much botox is right on! Man get a nice wholesome hostess on their and Houston can support a morning show. But as it stands, this one sucks. But hey, look who's putting in on, ABC 13.

Man I can't stand this show. The hostest looks like she's high on drugs most of the time. And whoever posted that she looks like she had to much botox is right on! Man get a nice wholesome hostess on their and Houston can support a morning show. But as it stands, this one sucks. But hey, look who's putting in on, ABC 13.

it's on khou 11.

Welcome aboard!. Whitney babbled on about her Mommy yet again yesterday. She babbles like a late nite infomercial. She is the epitome of vapidity.

Is it possible to get some clips of this show?I'd like to see what yall are talking about.DFW has a chick up here on ch.4 named Heather Hayes,people say she's hot.I dont know.theres something about her chest that grosses me out.Think:long neck,freckles and artifical tan.Oh and she has BIG hair.

Is it possible to get some clips of this show?I'd like to see what yall are talking about.DFW has a chick up here on ch.4 named Heather Hayes,people say she's hot.I dont know.theres something about her chest that grosses me out.Think:long neck,freckles and artifical tan.Oh and she has BIG hair.

http://www.greatdayhouston.com/

• 1 year later...

Great Day Houston host Whitney Casey said Thursday she will leave KHOU (Channel 11) in early March to write a book, and station officials said the show will continue with a new host.

Casey, who will announce her departure plans to viewers in a show that was taped Thursday and airs at 9 a.m. today, said her final day on the air will be March 6, the show's second anniversary.

Don Graham, Channel 11's director of local programming and production, said the station will consider local and national candidates to succeed Casey.

full article

ch 11 invested quite a bit in the show...i'll bet their peaved.

What's she going to write a book about? Plastic surgery?

I actually like that show and usually have it on whenever I have a day off from work during the week, but no, it's not Pulizer worthy journalism and it's not meant to be.

Maybe they'll get Christina Terrill to be the new host, she's not THAT bad and is a little more likeable than Whitney, imho.

What's she going to write a book about? Plastic surgery?

The idea for Manopoly, in which she plans to list men's typical complaints about women and offer advice from experts on how to resolve the issues, springs in part from a conversation she had with the editor of a leading women's magazine.

Maybe they'll get Christina Terrill to be the new host, she's not THAT bad and is a little more likeable than Whitney, imho.

...or bring Deborah Duncan back to daytime.

They should get someone thats in it for the long run. Whitney Casey is a beautiful woman and a great host in my opinion, but when I first saw here and knew what she was all about, I knew she would not want to stay at the show long and quickly move to LA or NYC. Hopefully they can find another beautiful host that wants to stay.

From watching the show (though not very often), I do not think she is NY or LA material, probably not even Chicago...The wife and I saw her when they did a location shoot for the show in the Woodlands while we were shopping. She is a very beautiful woman in person, more so than on TV in my opinion.

The idea for Manopoly, in which she plans to list men's typical complaints about women and offer advice from experts on how to resolve the issues, springs in part from a conversation she had with the editor of a leading women's magazine.

...or bring Deborah Duncan back to daytime.

And this was always one of my complaints about the show, or more specifically, Whitney Casey. She's really good at hosting a general interest morning show with celebrity chefs and fashion designers etc etc (at least I think she's good at it), but she seemingly has this obssession with being a relationship guru and it's really hard to buy. She has no qualifications other than being perky and tall and blonde (I actually think she's very good looking from the neck down, but her puffy cheeks and squinty eyes are weird) and there's nothing special about her "advice" or "observations" about the dating scene. Her column in the Chron is weak to the point of being trite and her appearances on Fox News in this same vein are quite similar.

From watching the show (though not very often), I do not think she is NY or LA material, probably not even Chicago...The wife and I saw her when they did a location shoot for the show in the Woodlands while we were shopping. She is a very beautiful woman in person, more so than on TV in my opinion.

She actually came here FROM New York. It seemed to me that she couldn't cut it in the Big Time and came and took this job because it was something of a chance to be a big fish in a small pond, so to speak. Maybe she was using it as a stepping stone to something bigger and better, but I would see leaving for something bigger and better as taking a network job or getting her own a nationally syndicated show, not quitting to write a book about relationships.

Archived