Krispy Kreme Ends Houston Franchisee

Yeah I think the one on Main does decent business, but I work with some people who didn't even know there was one in downtown, and I work in the Pennzoil building, so its not like its that far away. Its a nice spot and I like the way that place was put in, with tunnel access and also street level access. Too bad Shipley's already decided to build in the tunnels or else they probably would have been a good fit.

Fact is, Krispy Kreme made a bad decision when they tried to move into Houston.

They can't compete with Shipley's Do-Nuts!!! All that mass hysteria about Krispy Kreme couldn't fool the discerning do-nut consumer, who will take "substance" (good do-nuts) over "style". I never could understand the craze for Krispy Kremes. Not a good do-nut.

They can't compete with Shipley's Do-Nuts!!! All that mass hysteria about Krispy Kreme couldn't fool the discerning do-nut consumer, who will take "substance" (good do-nuts) over "style". I never could understand the craze for Krispy Kremes. Not a good do-nut.

It's all a matter of taste. Since I was born in raised in Kispy-Kreme's hometown of Winston-Salem, NC, I think they are the best doughnut ever made. I also think Shipley's bites the big one. Native Houstonians generally think the opposite.

It's just what you grew up on.

BTW, I sure wish I could find some good pork BBQ and a Cheerwine soda around here! :lol:

100 dozen please !!! , gonna have to buy another freezer to store them all.

Shipley's is handsdown the best for sausage cheese kolaches, donuts though, KK has got them beat. Try one of each freshly cooked, Shipley's tastes like old grease, KK's literally melts in your mouth and takes like a perfect sugary confection.

Well this is sorta sad for me. I grew up with Krispy Kreme and remember when they were the size of Shipley Doughnuts and came in a box lined up vertically like Shipley. And believe it or not the icing was not as sweet and it was all over the doughut instead of just on top like current day KK's.

I also think the atkin's diet played a huge role in KK's trouble's. Oh well, maybe next go around.

I'm in the native Shipley corner. I never got the KK appeal, even hot. It was good, but not all-the-hype good.

Give me a hot Shipley glazed any day. In fact right now would be good. Now that you got me hungry for a hot do-nut with all this warm, sugary, carb talk.

There is a Shipley's in the tunnel?

I don't know if it actually opened or not yet, but when a few times when I've walked down to the Park Shops underground, I would pass by a place where there was a "Shipley's Coming Soon" sign. Trying to think of which building it was under - its a little area where there is a Subway, a bank branch, and some wireless store. I think it might be one Houston center, but I'd have to check again to see which building that is. Its been so nice I've been walking above ground lately.

I also preferred KK to Shipley's. They are sweet, but having one or two piping hot was fantastic. Shipley's was usually too doughy for me, but hot they are good as well.

A bag of day-olds from Shipley beats KK if you ask me.

KK is a fancy boy donut. I think you're supposed to eat them with a fork and knife.

You mean you DON"T eat them that way ? :huh: Dammit, why don't people tell me these things ?

I have been turned off by Shipley's every since I went into one in Bryan and there was a roach in the bathroom. I almost threwup. The one 2 Shipley's we have here are very old and have not been updated. I have seen the newer ones in Houston and they are set up much more like the other national dounut chains.

I told the Canadians as well.. Tim Hortons (our "Shipley's up there) is so recognizable I don't think Krispy Kreme would do well in Canada. (At first maybe because its new)

I grew up on the Mrs. Bairds store and Shipleys (and Southern Maid donuts)

btw, I like the Kolache Factory and I thought they'd blow Krispy Kreme out of the water with the "breakfast foods". I'd perfer kolaches (southern maid...MMMMMMMMMmmm) anytime! Sausage and Cheese kolaches!!!

bye bye Krispy Kreme on Westheimer next to Whataburger!

The Italian Fast food place (where Whataburger is now) didn't make it...and Krispy Kreme followed...

and bye bye expensive KK in Randalls, Walmart, and other assorted locations!

Not that I miss the place its just shocking to hear...everyone it seems is moving out of this city!

Albertsons is gone...Krispy Kreme is now gone, I can't think of any others but there's quite a few of come and gone places.

The franchisees were idiots. The downtown one closed at 4 pm every day. Matt said they used to be open and all of Market Square would smell like doughnuts. He loved it! Can you imagine, waiting for the train on a cold day, and the Hot sign being on?! Too tempting! I'd have to go get one.

I love Krispy Kreme; bad management on their part (KK, inc) really screwed them a long time ago, though. The franchisee's decision to sell them to stores like Kroger, Rice Epi and Randall's was a recipe for disaster, pardon the pun, and most assuredly contributed to their demise.

Archived