Expansion For DKR Memorial Stadium

mrfootball

I'd be interested to see the average attendence numbers. I find it hard to believe that all of these schools average more than 79,732 a game.

NCAA Division I Attendance

South Carolina, Iowa and Arkansas are averaging roughly the same attendance as Texas A&M. All of the others mentioned average in excess of 80,000 per game. It should be noted that A&M will put 86,000 plus in the stands for their last 2 games, pushing their average attendance to over 76,000. Considering that there was a movement to boycott games after their losing season in 2005, 76,500 per game is respectable.

BTW, the only schools mentioned that had a losing record last year were Tennessee and Arkansas. As for Texas' attendance this year, I will boldly predict that A&M will average 87,000 per game the season after they win their next national title.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Texas ATM is ranked 21st. That's solid support but not great by any means. Also interesting to see the % of capacity numbers. Every school above ATM except for Florida State and South Carolina rank a full TEN % higher in filling available seats.

Also, 7 schools below ATM rank at 100% or above capacity and 24 others fill a higher percentage of their stadiums.

Either way, the myth that ATM has the greatest fans on earth is busted.

AND, for those that continue to state, "but hey, we haven't been good lately," if that truly mattered then the best fans in the state would be those few that still attend Rice Owl games!

So, Texas ATM is ranked 21st. That's solid support but not great by any means. Also interesting to see the % of capacity numbers. Every school above ATM except for Florida State and South Carolina rank a full TEN % higher in filling available seats.

Also, 7 schools below ATM rank at 100% or above capacity and 24 others fill a higher percentage of their stadiums.

AND, for those that continue to state, "but hey, we haven't been good lately," if that truly mattered then the best fans in the state would be those few that still attend Rice Owl games!

Sounds like somebody's jealous.

A&M has the highest ticket prices of any college in the country, something that was missed in your devastating logic.

As to the point that people just go to the games because there is nothing else to do in College Station, you forget that Kyle Field holds more people than actually live in College Station (pop. 82,000)! Most alums who come to Kyle Field drive at least 70 miles to get there. I don't know of any other stadium, of any kind, in which the stadium seats more than the population of the town.

A&M has the highest ticket prices of any college in the country, something that was missed in your devastating logic.

As to the point that people just go to the games because there is nothing else to do in College Station, you forget that Kyle Field holds more people than actually live in College Station (pop. 82,000)! Most alums who come to Kyle Field drive at least 70 miles to get there. I don't know of any other stadium, of any kind, in which the stadium seats more than the population of the town.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Auburn, Alabama

Clemson, South Carolina

State College, Pennsylvania

Fayetteville, Arkansas

Palo Alto, California

I could go on....

What implication? I said Kyle Field was the only stadium I knew of that was bigger than the surrounding town. If I had thought Kyle Field was the only stadium in the country that was bigger than its town, I would have said so.

Name some more. Show us how much you know about football stadiums.

Actrually Red, Palo Alto is now larger than Stanford Stadium. They just finished a huge project that removed the track and reconfigured the entire stadium. The new Stanford Stadium seats 50,000 while the old one held 85,500.

other places in which the stadium capcity is > the town's population

Pullman, Washington (Wazzou State)

Corvallis, Oregon (Oregon State)

Moscow, Idaho (U of I)

Laramie, Wyoming (Wyoming)

University Park, Texas (SMU) ...if you exculde Bryan, I'll exclude Dallas

Canyon, Texas (West Texas ATM)

Stillwater, Oklahoma (Okie State)

Manhattan, Kansas (Kansas State)

Ruston, Louisiana (Louisiana Tech)

Grambling, Louisiana (Grambling State)

Fayetteville, Arkansas (Arkansas)

Columbia, Missouri (Mizzou)

Ames, Iowa (Iowa State)

Iowa City, Iowa (Iowa)

Urbana, Illinois (Illini)

West Lafayette, Indiana (Purdue)

East Lansing, Michigan (Michigan State)

Ypsilinati, Michigan (Eastern Michigan)

Mt Pleasant, Michigan (Central Michigan)

Oxford, Ohio (Miami of Ohio)

Kent, Ohio (Kent State)

Bowling Green, Ohio (BGSU)

Morgantown, West Virginia (WVU)

Oxford, Mississippi (Ole Miss)

Starkville, Mississippi (Miss State)

Itta Bena, Mississippi (Miss Valley State)

Tusacloosa, Alabama (Bama)

Auburn, Alabama (Auburn)

Troy, Alabama (Troy State)

Clemson, South Carolina (Clemson)

orangeburg, South Carolina (SC State)

Davidson, NC (Davidson)

Chapel Hill, NC (UNC)

Boone, NC (Appalachian State)

Cullowee, NC (Western Carolina)

Charlottesville, Virginia (UVa)

Blacksburg, Virginia (Va Tech)

College Park, Maryland (The Terps)

State College, PA (Penn State)

Easton, PA (Lehigh)

Princeton, NJ (Princeton)

Hamilton, NY (Colgate)

Ithaca, NY (Cornell)

West Point, NY (Army)

Manchester, Conn (UConn)

Kingston, Rhode Island (URI)

Orono, Maine (Maine)

I am sure there are many others as well but this was just off the top of my head...

Actrually Red, Palo Alto is now larger than Stanford Stadium. They just finished a huge project that removed the track and reconfigured the entire stadium. The new Stanford Stadium seats 50,000 while the old one held 85,500.

My bad.

Thanks for catching Itta Bena and Cullowee, too. How could I forget those. :D

Wow, KinkaidAlum takes a commanding lead over RedScare in the name-the-most-stadiums-with-populations-bigger-than-their-towns contest! And all of those were just off the top of his head. Think how many more he could name if he actually consulted some sort of reference!!!

I am a college football junkie. Nothing better than a rainy saturday afternoon channel surfing between CBS, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN College, CSTV, the multiple regional fox affiliates, TBS, and the gameday package on Direct TV.

I skip NBC though. I despise the unfair advantage Notre Dame receives with their own tv network.

Texas A&M couldn't even sell out the Mizzou game. This was a huge game as far as the big 12 goes.

Texas A&M had trouble selling out the OU game. For crying out, the team has only lost one game. Texas has lost one game and are creating record attendance of the state of Texas.

Texas A&M couldn't even sell out the Mizzou game. This was a huge game as far as the big 12 goes.

Texas A&M had trouble selling out the OU game. For crying out, the team has only lost one game. Texas has lost one game and are creating record attendance of the state of Texas.

I don't know what your sources are for your last statement but Kyle holds 82k, and the attendence was over 85. BTW, the Ags have set all the existing TX attendence records that the Longhorns are now beating. Not to worry, when Kyle is expanded I'm sure today's records will be broken again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hopefully this addition will include an on-site jail facility. It's starting to cost the taxpayers a lot of money to transport all the longhorn football players to jail thesedays! With Sergio Kindle's arrest this past weekend, I think that makes 7 horns who have been arrested since last summer.

:lol:

Hopefully this addition will include an on-site jail facility. It's starting to cost the taxpayers a lot of money to transport all the longhorn football players to jail thesedays! With Sergio Kindle's arrest this past weekend, I think that makes 7 horns who have been arrested since last summer.

:lol:

It would be funnier if it weren't also true!

Heck, seems as if the Aggies and Horns are competitive even when it comes to police bookings. UT has evened the score.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived