Expansion For DKR Memorial Stadium

mrfootball

$149.9 million expansion of UT stadium planned

Price tag for hotel-conference center rises 44 percent, to $120.9 million.

By Ralph K.M. Haurwitz

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

University of Texas System regents on Thursday are expected to approve spending nearly $150 million to remodel and expand Royal-Memorial Stadium.

The project, scheduled to be completed in August 2008, would boost seating capacity for football games to more than 90,000.

The regents also are expected to authorize construction of a $120.9 million hotel and conference center at the southern edge of campus. That is nearly $37 million more than previous estimates, an increase caused partly by the need to build underground parking to avoid condemning a restaurant that has operated adjacent to the site for more than 20 years.

The stadium expansion, which focuses on the north end zone, has been under discussion for some time, but officials have not disclosed a price tag until now. The $149.9 million cost includes $15 million approved by the regents in November for renovating and expanding the west side of the stadium, work that is under way.

"We had exceptional demand before we won the national championship. I think because of winning the national championship, sales of the inventory of new seating will probably go even faster than we anticipated," said Patti Ohlendorf, UT-Austin's vice president for institutional relations and legal affairs.

The expansion would make Royal-Memorial one of the nation's largest college football stadiums but not one of the true giants. The University of Michigan's stadium has a capacity of 107,501, and Penn State's seats 107,282.

A committee of regents will meet in Austin today to consider the stadium and hotel-conference center projects, with the full Board of Regents scheduled to take action Thursday. UT System Chancellor Mark Yudof and his top aides have recommended approval.

The stadium proposal calls for replacing the existing north end zone structure. Besides increasing the seating capacity, currently 80,082, the project would add offices for the cheerleading program, production TV crew members, ticketing, patron services, the Longhorn Foundation, athletics officials and academic advising. Also, sprinklers would be added to interior portions of the stadium that lack such fire controls.

"There will also be some gymnasiums in the basement for academic use, classes and that type of thing," Ohlendorf said. "And there will be a portion

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$149.9 million expansion of UT stadium planned

Price tag for hotel-conference center rises 44 percent, to $120.9 million.

By Ralph K.M. Haurwitz

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

University of Texas System regents on Thursday are expected to approve spending nearly $150 million to remodel and expand Royal-Memorial Stadium.

The project, scheduled to be completed in August 2008, would boost seating capacity for football games to more than 90,000.

The regents also are expected to authorize construction of a $120.9 million hotel and conference center at the southern edge of campus. That is nearly $37 million more than previous estimates, an increase caused partly by the need to build underground parking to avoid condemning a restaurant that has operated adjacent to the site for more than 20 years.

The stadium expansion, which focuses on the north end zone, has been under discussion for some time, but officials have not disclosed a price tag until now. The $149.9 million cost includes $15 million approved by the regents in November for renovating and expanding the west side of the stadium, work that is under way.

"We had exceptional demand before we won the national championship. I think because of winning the national championship, sales of the inventory of new seating will probably go even faster than we anticipated," said Patti Ohlendorf, UT-Austin's vice president for institutional relations and legal affairs.

The expansion would make Royal-Memorial one of the nation's largest college football stadiums but not one of the true giants. The University of Michigan's stadium has a capacity of 107,501, and Penn State's seats 107,282.

I say %$#@ it. Go for 110,000. You can't tell me that there's more Michigan or Penn State fans than UT or Aggie fans. If you're gonna expand that stadium, might as well go for the gold, huh.

You can't tell me that there's more Michigan or Penn State fans than UT or Aggie fans.

While I agree, UT is situated w/i an easy drive from Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas (over 80% of the State's population of 24 Million). I don't think there's another school in the country with more fans at this moment. The popularity of Big 12 football, and the Austin attractions, make it a no-brainer for expansion beyond 100,000.

However,

I'd argue there are quite a few more Michigan and Penn State fans than there are Aggie fans. I wouldn't lump the Ags in with UT. They're clearly on another level.

While I agree, UT is situated w/i an easy drive from Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas (over 80% of the State's population of 24 Million). I don't think there's another school in the country with more fans at this moment. The popularity of Big 12 football, and the Austin attractions, make it a no-brainer for expansion beyond 100,000.

However,

I'd argue there are quite a few more Michigan and Penn State fans than there are Aggie fans. I wouldn't lump the Ags in with UT. They're clearly on another level.

Aren't UT and Texas A&M #1 and #2 in terms of university student body in the country?

Aren't UT and Texas A&M #1 and #2 in terms of university student body in the country?

No, but close.

UT had the 3rd largest enrollment (UT is always in the Top 3 switching off with Ohio State and Minnesota for #1 every so often).

A&M has the 7th largest enrollment (4th largest ungraduate enrollment)

You also, must figure that in many Big Ten states like Ohio and Pennsylvania, they are the lone big time major state university and don't compete with any other schools for fans, they've had huge enrollments for many decades, whereas A&M is a relative newcomer to the big boys club, and sports a living alumni base not that much larger than Texas Tech's (a school that was larger than Texas A&M until the 1980's).

dkr-expansion-3.jpg

dkr-expansion-4.jpg

dkrsketch1.jpg

dkrsketch2.jpg

Can you imagine how many seats could be added if they decided to add any seats to the South Endzone side? Look at that those renderings! That's over 90,000 seats, and that's only on 3 sides of the field! That leave SO much room for expansion in the future if Texas ever decided to go that route. Great pix!

Can you imagine how many seats could be added if they decided to add any seats to the South Endzone side? Look at that those renderings! That's over 90,000 seats, and that's only on 3 sides of the field! That leave SO much room for expansion in the future if Texas ever decided to go that route. Great pix!

Actually The University of Texas does have long term plans for expanding the south end zone in years to come expanding the total seating to well over 100,000 though Im not sure on the final number. They are basically going to do what they are doing to the north endzone side essentialy creating a bowl.

• 7 months later...

However, I'd argue there are quite a few more Michigan and Penn State fans than there are Aggie fans. I wouldn't lump the Ags in with UT. They're clearly on another level.

I'd have to disagree with this statement. Especially after this past weekend. Notice that the national champions only pulled in 40k attendence at Reliant against Rice in the 4th largest city in the country and largest in its home state. While the Aggies, a mediocure team right now, sold out 65k seats in SA. I think that shows the Aggies are very much on the same level with Texas and pushes the argument that Aggie fans are among the most loyal in the country.

Stadium Facts:

Kyle Field permanent seating capacity: 82,600

Kyle Field biggest crowd: 87,555

Kyle Field proposed expansion: 115,000

Memorial Stadium permanent seating capacity: 80,082

Memorial Stadium with temp. bleachers (2006): 85,123

Memorial Stadium biggest crowd: 89,442 (Ohio State game)

Kyle Field proposed expansion: 90,000

I think A&M needs to sell out what they have now on a regular basis before worrying about expanding. UT simply needs to. They've sold out a ton of games consecutively and now is the time for expansion.

As for the A&M game in SA, I'd bet Army had a lot better turnout than Rice did. A lot of audience shots revealed lots of Army personel in addition to the Cadets from West Point.

Have they said anything about how long it would take to complete the long-term plan? The way things are going with Kyle Field and Memorial, it sounds like they'll never settle...

No, but as you can see, they are working their way there with the north endzone expansion. The long term plan plans to have 110,000+ capacity.

I think A&M needs to sell out what they have now on a regular basis before worrying about expanding. UT simply needs to. They've sold out a ton of games consecutively and now is the time for expansion.

As for the A&M game in SA, I'd bet Army had a lot better turnout than Rice did. A lot of audience shots revealed lots of Army personel in addition to the Cadets from West Point.

I guess you'd lose that bet. The crowd in SA was 90%+ Aggies, it was like Kyle Field West. I was there so I can vouch for it. All the Army fans sat together, that may be why it looked like there were a lot of them there in the camera shot.

However,

A&M still sells 10,000 more student tickets to each game than UT. It sells more student tickets than any other school in the country.

And if one of the two schools has a more loyal fan base, it's A&M. They've kept up with UT on facilities despite the awful slump that the team has been in (now working on a solid roof indoor practice field that will be the marvel of the Big XII). UT would not have the attendance numbers A&M has if their team were doing this badly.

Not sure how you can say ATM has a more loyal fan base than Texas.

UT is currently averaging 87,273 per game this year. That's quite a bit over capacity. ATM is averaging 68,592, about 15,000 less than capacity.

As of right now, ATM's home attendance is behind Michigan, Tennessee, Penn State, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, USC, Florida, Auburn, Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Florida State, South Carolina, Clemson, Arkansas, Iowa and Michigan State.

UT is currently averaging 87,273 per game this year. That's quite a bit over capacity. ATM is averaging 68,592, about 15,000 less than capacity.

As of right now, ATM's home attendance is behind Michigan, Tennessee, Penn State, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, USC, Florida, Auburn, Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Florida State, South Carolina, Clemson, Arkansas, Iowa and Michigan State.

You're assuming larger means more loyal. It doesn't. A proven winner will always have more fans, look at the Astros last year. Do you think all those fans are still fans this year? No, only the loyal ones are.

H-Town man is right, Aggie fans are more loyal than Texas fans. If there was a way to prove it objectively I'm sure we could. However, it is a subjective measure. One way to surmise the truth is by looking at last weeks attendence figures that I posted earlier.

Did you read my post, Kinkaid? I said that UT would not have A&M's attendance numbers if their team was doing this badly. A&M has been awful the last five years, and of course UT just won a MNC. As for the 68,000, so far they have only played horrible teams, so of course not as many people are going to make the drive. Expect over 80,000 for the Tech game next weekend, and an average of probably low to mid 70's over the course of the season.

Another point is that A&M is able to get its numbers despite charging I think the highest ticket prices in college football... of course, they raised the prices before the team started suffering.

/\

Yet when Texas plays N. Texas, they break the record for the time being.

A record that would be no higher than 9th on the list of the biggest crowds at Kyle Field. In fact, prior to this season, the 9 largest football crowds in the state were ALL at Kyle Field, and ALL in the last 7 years. Considering that during those 7 years, A&M has barely played .500 ball, versus UT's consistent Top 10 rankings, the case could be made that A&M's fan base is far more loyal.

BTW, you left off the new biggest crowd, the Ohio State game, over 89,000. Of course, I can understand why you may want to forget that game. ;)

This is the fan base that claims UT was overrated last year. Your fans are not loyal, so please stop this. Place like Arkie(hate to admit that), bama, South Carolina even, sell out those places, good or bad. I really don't care what your record is. You aren't selling out your place. Who's to say A&M ever gets to the promised land or even top of the Big XII South again? There is no gurantee. Just like there's no gurantee that UT ever wins. The stadium needs expansion now, so its happening now. Has nothing to do with Kyle or A&M or whomever. Again, sell out your place on a regular basis for a few years, then worry about expansion.

As for those record, Kyle was bigger, you SHOULD have the records up until this year. Sounds like the Chinese bragging about having the most this or that. You have 1.5 billion people. You should be the #1 economic power just by rolling out of bed. Why are you bragging about surpassing Germany or GB?

This is the fan base that claims UT was overrated last year. Your fans are not loyal, so please stop this. Place like Arkie(hate to admit that), bama, South Carolina even, sell out those places, good or bad. I really don't care what your record is. You aren't selling out your place. Who's to say A&M ever gets to the promised land or even top of the Big XII South again? There is no gurantee. Just like there's no gurantee that UT ever wins. The stadium needs expansion now, so its happening now. Has nothing to do with Kyle or A&M or whomever. Again, sell out your place on a regular basis for a few years, then worry about expansion.

As for those record, Kyle was bigger, you SHOULD have the records up until this year. Sounds like the Chinese bragging about having the most this or that. You have 1.5 billion people. You should be the #1 economic power just by rolling out of bed. Why are you bragging about surpassing Germany or GB?

From the outside looking in...

Your point that we only had those records because our place was the biggest begs the question, why was it the biggest?

There are more seats in Kyle Field than there are people in College Station. You could put every man, woman, and child in College Station into that stadium, and there would be room left over. Whereas DKR-TMS@JJF has a metro area of well over a million people around it. At any given Aggie game, over half the fans have driven at least an hour to get there.

How many stadiums in the country can say they hold more people than the surrounding town? My guess is, not many.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the Mizzou/A&M game. I noticed a lot of empty seats in the upper level seats on the north end. Very weak for a big time conference game.

Bye the way, UT is only allowed a certain amount of student tickets each year. The is reason is because UT sells more season tickets to their alumni each year than most programs. Unlike the Aggies, UT fans show up for every game not just the in state rival games.

Read the "article". Gives some information. Pretty big. Triple deck. Click on image to make it larger/more visible.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...cial_s%26sa%3DG

According to future plans, Texas and A&M will have the biggest stadiums in the country. The competition will be between eachother rather than the rest of the nation seeing how both will surpass Michigan by 5,000. They should lower ticket prices when these expansions occur.

Just watched the Mizzou/A&M game. I noticed a lot of empty seats in the upper level seats on the north end. Very weak for a big time conference game.

Bye the way, UT is only allowed a certain amount of student tickets each year. The is reason is because UT sells more season tickets to their alumni each year than most programs. Unlike the Aggies, UT fans show up for every game not just the in state rival games.

Are you seriously telling me that UT is denying football passes to students? That students who elect to add a football pass to their fall tuition fees are in danger of being rejected? Sorry if I don't buy that.

UT sells as many student tickets as it can, but not as many as A&M. A&M sells more student tickets than any other school in the country.

A&M also has the highest ticket prices in the country. Between high ticket prices, a long drive for most fans, and the poor play of the past few years, it's a wonder they have as high attendance as they do.

Well, what the hell else is there to do in Collie Station? Should I go to the game or should I hang out at the Chicken by myself?

Tough choice.

Again, ATM has 10,000 to 20,000 more students than USC, Michigan, Iowa, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Arkansas, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Clemson, etc... and all of those schools put more folks in the stands on Saturdays.

Well, what the hell else is there to do in Collie Station? Should I go to the game or should I hang out at the Chicken by myself?

Tough choice.

Again, ATM has 10,000 to 20,000 more students than USC, Michigan, Iowa, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Arkansas, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Clemson, etc... and all of those schools put more folks in the stands on Saturdays.

I'd be interested to see the average attendence numbers. I find it hard to believe that all of these schools average more than 79,732 a game.

Archived