Rice University/C-USA West

Ashikaga

Now I see how behind the times that I am. I found out today that the Southwest Conference no longer exists. I remember Rice University was one of its members. Now it belongs to C-USA West. But I also found out that Rice's current enrollment is 4,835, twice as many as someone else on this forum reported.

I sure wish that I could turn back the clock 30 years. I would have tried to attend Rice.

well, if you could have rolled the clock back beyond forty years, you could have gone tuition-free (as long as you were white)...

More like 42 years. I just read in an encyclopedia that Rice started charging tuition in 1965.

The 4.8k number includes grad students (about 1.8k or so) leaving the undergrad population at nearly 3,000 looking to grow to 4,000 in the next decade or so. As for C-USA, sorry you missed the nine or so years Rice was in the WAC playing such schools as Hawaii and Boise State.

What did WAC stand for?

The 4.8k number includes grad students (about 1.8k or so) leaving the undergrad population at nearly 3,000 looking to grow to 4,000 in the next decade or so. As for C-USA, sorry you missed the nine or so years Rice was in the WAC playing such schools as Hawaii and Boise State.

That same encyclopedia said that Rice initially allowed no more than 450 undergraduates to enroll each year. It changed that in the 1960s.

C-USA baseball is going to be top-notch this year.

Check out the 2006 College Classic Tickets this Friday at MMP.

im_hdr_classic_581x100.gif

When trying to think of Rice athletes that went professional, the only name that comes to my mind is Tommy Kramer. Does he reside in the Houston area?

When trying to think of Rice athletes that went professional, the only name that comes to my mind is Tommy Kramer. Does he reside in the Houston area?

Two that come to mind during my time there in the mid-50's are Frank Ryan (Quarterback-Browns) and King Hill (Quarterback-Eagles).

A few more Rice atheletes that went pro throughout the years:

Jose Cruz Jr. (baseball)

Dicky Moegle (football...played for the 49ers and Cowboys)

Tobin Rote (football)

Bill Howton (football)

Buddy Dial (football)

Hugo Hollas (football Saints)

Ricky Pierce (NBA Bucks)

...several baseball players from Rice's nat'l championship baseball team of a couple of years ago were drafted and are in the minor league's now. Look for several to be in the majors real soon...

Jose Cruz Jr. (baseball)

Tobin Rote (football)

Bill Howton (football)

Buddy Dial (football)

Ricky Pierce (NBA Bucks)

...several baseball players from Rice's nat'l championship baseball team of a couple of years ago were drafted and are in the minor league's now. Look for several to be in the majors real soon...

The only name that sounds familiar to me is Buddy Dial. Who did he play for?

• 4 months later...

Jose Cruz Jr. (baseball)

Tobin Rote (football)

Bill Howton (football)

Buddy Dial (football)

Ricky Pierce (NBA Bucks)

I guess in the old Southwest Conference enrollment didn't matter. UT and Texas A&M have between 40,000 and 50,000 students. Rice University was at the bottom with 5,000. This is from the 2006 World Almanac, page 658.

• 1 year later...

Jose Cruz Jr. (baseball)

Tobin Rote (football)

Bill Howton (football)

Buddy Dial (football)

Ricky Pierce (NBA Bucks)

I haven't kept up with college football this season. How is Rice doing?

Not too well though they did beat UTEP this past weekend. I think they're record now is 2 wins 6 losses. Last year they went to a Bowl Game (and lost) for the first time since '62. They they're head coach quit and got hired to coach at Tulsa.

I haven't kept up with college football this season. How is Rice doing?

He earned his PhD in Math at Rice in the mid-60's. I think he did some teaching there after his pro career.

Frank Ryan went to Rice in the 50s and was a second string quarterback behind the better known starter King Hill. After graduation in 1958, Ryan played quarterback in the NFL for 13 years, playing for the LA Rams, the Cleveland Browns, and the Washington Redskins.

He was elected to three Pro-Bowl teams and helped lead the Cleveland Browns to their 1964 NFL Championship.

Ryan attended Rice during the off-season and took a PhD in mathematics from Rice in 1965. For several years in the late 60s, he taught spring and summer semester classes at Rice.

He retired after the 1972 season, and since then he's pursued careers in government, academia, intercollegiate athletics, and the corporate world.

Edited by FilioScotia

• The title was changed to Rice University/C-USA West