Pearland Area Off Highway 288

eelimon

How come this area is under-served when it comes to fitness centers? There is one gym and it is smaller the the gym at the POST mid-rise apartments in Midtown off of Gray St. The area seems to have everything else. there is a Wal-mart, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, Cinemark, Joe's CrabShack, JC Penny's and many more places to buys stuff. Now I would think that these people could use a place to work out at. I recently moved to City Park a new development in the city of Houston inside the beltway, and there is hardly any thing in the area. My good guess is that with in the next ten years the area will explode with developments, but until then I have to shop in the Pearland area. I hope the real estate industry does not slow down and my prediction comes true. I think that the fact that the 288 does not have a feeder road is the reason why this area has developed slower then other areas of town.

I think that the fact that the 288 does not have a feeder road is the reason why this area has developed slower then other areas of town.

HISD is the reason that the area down 288 (between 610 and Beltway 8) hasn't developed. Notice that development picks up tremendously as soon as you get into Pearland ISD territory? It's not that you couldn't build the same houses 3 mores exits into town.

Anyways, can't help you with the gym question. But my wife and I also find ourselves doing a lot of our shopping in Pearland. We live just inside the Loop on 288, but it's just as fast for us to get down to 518 as it is to get to Gulfgate or Meyerland. We can make it to Pearland in under 10 minutes from our driveway. It's very convenient...much better selection there than Gulfgate.

Anyhow, more development is coming to that area between 610 and the Beltway. But it's much slower than Pearland.

HISD is the reason that the area down 288 (between 610 and Beltway 8) hasn't developed. Notice that development picks up tremendously as soon as you get into Pearland ISD territory? It's not that you couldn't build the same houses 3 mores exits into town.

Anyways, can't help you with the gym question. But my wife and I also find ourselves doing a lot of our shopping in Pearland. We live just inside the Loop on 288, but it's just as fast for us to get down to 518 as it is to get to Gulfgate or Meyerland. We can make it to Pearland in under 10 minutes from our driveway. It's very convenient...much better selection there than Gulfgate.

Anyhow, more development is coming to that area between 610 and the Beltway. But it's much slower than Pearland.

What do you mean when you say that HISD is the reason for slow development? Is that it is such a bad school district that no one want to live in the area? I know what you mean, I don't have children but when they do come I will be enrolling them into a private school if I am living in the HISD area.

What do you mean when you say that HISD is the reason for slow development? Is that it is such a bad school district that no one want to live in the area? I know what you mean, I don't have children but when they do come I will be enrolling them into a private school if I am living in the HISD area.

I wondered for a long time why that area hadn't developed, so I asked a couple of developers the question...their response was that it's because of HISD. It's much tougher to market new homes to young families in HISD territory than in PISD (or just about any other suburban school district, for that matter).

I'd prefer my kids (when they come) to go to public school, but some mix of public/private may be necessary. Hopefully HISD can improve over the next 5-10 years. Of course, there's always the magnet school or transfer options. We'll probably investigate that as well. My wife went to a combination of public and private schools...finishing up at Yates HS her last couple years. She said it was tough to learn when you didn't get school books until mid-way through the semester (although certain other schools in HISD never seemed to have problems getting books on time).

For that reason, my wife is not hot on public schools. I never attended a private school, so I have a certain prejudice against them. I think we'll compromise on the public/private combo.

Anyhow, a little closer to the original topic, how do you like living in City Park? That's the Parkside Homes subdivision off of Orem Drive, right? My sister-in-law seriously considered buying a place there last year...my wife liked the place as well, and I've been mostly impressed the several times I've driven through it. The only thing I didn't like were the plastic fences. And the common front yard thing seems like it could lead to some interesting issues.

So how do you like it?

I wondered for a long time why that area hadn't developed, so I asked a couple of developers the question...their response was that it's because of HISD. It's much tougher to market new homes to young families in HISD territory than in PISD (or just about any other suburban school district, for that matter).

I'd prefer my kids (when they come) to go to public school, but some mix of public/private may be necessary. Hopefully HISD can improve over the next 5-10 years. Of course, there's always the magnet school or transfer options. We'll probably investigate that as well. My wife went to a combination of public and private schools...finishing up at Yates HS her last couple years. She said it was tough to learn when you didn't get school books until mid-way through the semester (although certain other schools in HISD never seemed to have problems getting books on time).

For that reason, my wife is not hot on public schools. I never attended a private school, so I have a certain prejudice against them. I think we'll compromise on the public/private combo.

Anyhow, a little closer to the original topic, how do you like living in City Park? That's the Parkside Homes subdivision off of Orem Drive, right? My sister-in-law seriously considered buying a place there last year...my wife liked the place as well, and I've been mostly impressed the several times I've driven through it. The only thing I didn't like were the plastic fences. And the common front yard thing seems like it could lead to some interesting issues.

So how do you like it?

I like it very much I actually have a home with a private front yard and it is facing a park at the center of the subdivision. I actually don't like the plastic fences and the common yards. Well you cant have it all at the prices that we are paying here. Besides if you have a common front yard there wont be any problems. The neighborhood association or I should say that the developer has decided that all front yards back Lawns not fenced in will be taken car of by them. So you do not have to cut the front yard and the rear lawn. the only thing you would have to take care of would be the Back yard the is fenced in.

• The title was changed to Pearland Area Off Highway 288

Archived