Harrisburg Eastwood Multifamily At 4500 Harrisburg Blvd.

it is indeed. is it actually a space they own, or lease? it always seemed to me that whoever was in charge of that building was just letting it be used for this.

considering the proximity to light rail, this is a good spot for HHA. for someone without a car though, this is a bit of a food desert, and hopefully that's addressed. 

it's a half mile walk from the Wayside light rail station to Fiesta on Wayside, or Sellers Brothers on Canal. I think those are the closest options that aren't overpriced convenience stores, or Walgreens or CVS (again, overpriced). it'd be cool if Aldi would drop a store at Harrisburg and Wayside.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Harrisburg Eastwood Multifamily At 4500 Harrisburg Blvd.
3 hours ago, samagon said:

it is indeed. is it actually a space they own, or lease? it always seemed to me that whoever was in charge of that building was just letting it be used for this.

considering the proximity to light rail, this is a good spot for HHA. for someone without a car though, this is a bit of a food desert, and hopefully that's addressed. 

it's a half mile walk from the Wayside light rail station to Fiesta on Wayside, or Sellers Brothers on Canal. I think those are the closest options that aren't overpriced convenience stores, or Walgreens or CVS (again, overpriced). it'd be cool if Aldi would drop a store at Harrisburg and Wayside.

Kroger on Polk is a 13 minute .6 mile walk according to Google Maps. 

19 hours ago, wilcal said:

Kroger on Polk is a 13 minute .6 mile walk according to Google Maps. 

as I did in the other thread, I forget about that Kroger.

there's also a Dollar General right next to Kroger that has a smattering of inexpensive food things.

I guess there's also the Little Red Box, but holy F, the prices compared to other grocery stores make me think they have their items for display only.

1 hour ago, samagon said:

as I did in the other thread, I forget about that Kroger.

there's also a Dollar General right next to Kroger that has a smattering of inexpensive food things.

I guess there's also the Little Red Box, but holy F, the prices compared to other grocery stores make me think they have their items for display only.

Little Red Box has cheap stuff too. They just also have a lot of boutiquey/local products that are more expensive. 

When I visited, the employee I spoke with said that they saw serving the New Hope location across the street as a primary purpose, with the higher-margin "gentrifier" products intended to make that viable. Not sure how well it will work (and Spam, Cheerios, onions, and apples is not enough selection to qualify as a "primary purpose," in my opinion), but I think the idea is interesting.

• Like 1

my gauge of a grocery store is to look at the milk eggs and various vegetables.

and I guess because they only carry top brands, it's hard to compare to HEB, or Fiesta, but yeah.

LRB 1/2 gallon of Borden $4.19, HEB Borden 1/2 gallon is only 7 cents cheaper. but then you look at the store brand (or in Fiesta's case, the off brand of Borden (which is Bluebonnet, and just as good as Borden I might add), the price is silly for what you can get at LRB. I'm paying about a dollar less for a gallon of milk at Fiesta, or HEB as what you can get 1/2 gallon at LRB. eggs are no better.

compare vegetable prices and unless you're talking about potatoes, it's not really a contest there either. roma tomato prices, avocado prices. LRB can't compete.

edit, and since Kroger is right down the street as well, they are even better priced than HEB on all of these items.

anyway, no hate on LRB, I wish them success, I just don't think it's where I'd point the bargain shopper. and then they do take EBT and SNAP, so maybe the price is less relevant for some people, depending on things.

Edited by samagon

It is impossible for a store the size of LRB to compete with the big boxes on price. Distributors do not like selling in such a small volume, that is why they have weird brands you don't normally see. Need to think of it more as a bodega / corner store with healthy options.

LRB also offers a CSA pickup every Thursday. You get a very generous portion of healthy, locally grown food for $25.

https://animalfarmcenter.com/csa-program/

IMG_6357.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, dart330 said:

It is impossible for a store the size of LRB to compete with the big boxes on price. Distributors do not like selling in such a small volume, that is why they have weird brands you don't normally see. Need to think of it more as a bodega / corner store with healthy options.

LRB also offers a CSA pickup every Thursday. You get a very generous portion of healthy, locally grown food for $25.

https://animalfarmcenter.com/csa-program/

Is the only pickup time for LRB really 4-4:15pm on Thursdays?

41 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Is the only pickup time for LRB really 4-4:15pm on Thursdays?

The farmer only drives into town once a week to drop things off. That is how all community supported agriculture programs work. You can pickup anytime after 4:15pm on Thursdays or call and let them know you won't make it until Friday.

Plant it Forward also offers a once a week pickup if they have a time & place more convenient for you.

https://plantitforward.farm/purchaseourproduce/#farmshare

1 hour ago, dart330 said:

The farmer only drives into town once a week to drop things off. That is how all community supported agriculture programs work. You can pickup anytime after 4:15pm on Thursdays or call and let them know you won't make it until Friday.

Plant it Forward also offers a once a week pickup if they have a time & place more convenient for you.

https://plantitforward.farm/purchaseourproduce/#farmshare

All of the other locations said 3 or after, 4 or after, etc, but the LRB said 4-4:15, so that is why I asked. I could probably do 4 or later, but a 15 minute would be a little tight!

On 3/24/2023 at 10:17 AM, wilcal said:

All of the other locations said 3 or after, 4 or after, etc, but the LRB said 4-4:15, so that is why I asked. I could probably do 4 or later, but a 15 minute would be a little tight!

4:16

sorry sir, doors are locked, better luck next week. :lol:

but yeah, I think if you show up at 4, what is meant is that you might have to hang around until 4:15 for the veggie pack to be ready, but if you show up at 4:18, they will have been ready for at least 3 minutes.

Edited by samagon