Fidelity Bank And Trust Company - 1300 Texas Ave.

hindesky

While I was talking with the Arcosa/Cherry Demolition guys at the Fairfield Waugh they mentioned they have a job coming up in downtown at Texas Ave. & Congress St. I'm thinking to myself that those two streets don't intersect and are parallel streets but didn't say anything. Today I saw which building they were talking about. The Gulfstream Legal Group building at 1300 Texas Ave. It is fenced off. Assuming they will go here when finished at the Fairfield Waugh building. Curious what might be built here? I'm guessing it could temporarily be for the lay down yard/construction trailers for the contractor who will be building the new hotel across the street. 

https://gulfstreamlegal.com

VKxvETc.png

adyM7Q2.jpg

lIKbURi.jpg

zl3AbQa.jpg

j8YA89V.jpg

m67260A.jpg

Ob3qKc3.jpg

dISQeP1.jpg

• Like 5

This is interesting - looks like 1300 Texas isn't owned by the group building the hotel, unless it changed hands recently. The address listed on property records is a home in tanglewood. Seems like the building is vacant, with gulfstream legal having moved offices. Could the builders of the Holiday Inn have worked out a deal with the property owners to demolish and use the site during construction? Hopefully this doesn't end up turning into another surface lot that the hotel will be replacing.

• Like 1

Did the fence go farther south down Caroline in front of the three story building which was originally constructed for the Ridgway's Blueprint Company?  At one time, the same people owned both buildings.  It would be a shame if the Ridgway's Building was also being demolished.  It's a stout cast in place concrete building originally designed by Robert Cummins.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ATH said:

Did the fence go farther south down Caroline in front of the three story building which was originally constructed for the Ridgway's Blueprint Company?  At one time, the same people owned both buildings.  It would be a shame if the Ridgway's Building was also being demolished.  It's a stout cast in place concrete building originally designed by Robert Cummins.

I think it's only this building

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ATH said:

Did the fence go farther south down Caroline in front of the three story building which was originally constructed for the Ridgway's Blueprint Company?  

Only around the Gulfstream building and the parking lot behind it.

• Like 1

Good to see something happening with this building.

I walked past it while navigating the detours around the marathon earlier this year.

Based on the way it was constructed, it looks to me like it might have been a bank at one time.  Not one of those Greek-inspired bank buildings, but one built in the 80's, which might make sense because of the green marble accents.

It's funny how brass and green marble fell out of fashion so quickly, and I learned to hate that style.  Now I'm starting to think of it as historic and worthy of preservation.  Go figure.

On 4/4/2023 at 1:20 PM, hindesky said:

https://ballisdevelopment.com/1300-texas-ave-615-caroline-st/

https://ballisdevelopment.com

I wonder if these are their current plans for the two properties they seem to own/manage or plans have changed?

3UUQVb9.png

zcwbdga.png

P14ujNn.png

YWhI0ks.jpg

fnJMMwp.jpg

0mLNMZm.jpg

HLqbQJw.jpg

R3UYWE4.jpg

I think you're right! This looks to be their future plans while incorporating the little old building next door. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 1:20 PM, hindesky said:

https://ballisdevelopment.com/1300-texas-ave-615-caroline-st/

https://ballisdevelopment.com

I wonder if these are their current plans for the two properties they seem to own/manage or plans have changed?

3UUQVb9.png

zcwbdga.png

The new building looks almost identical to the old building, from where the main/how the entrance is, to the height difference between the two buildings :/ hopefully this was the original plan before they decided to tear down the building. Extremely boring/ bare minimum design. Hopefully plans change. 

Edited by Amlaham

1 hour ago, Amlaham said:

The new building looks almost identical to the old building, from where the main/how the entrance is, to the height difference between the two buildings :/ hopefully this was the original plan before they decided to tear down the building. Extremely boring/ bare minimum design. Hopefully plans change. 

Plans must have changed and something else is now planned.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Gulfstream Legal Group - 1300 Texas Ave.

Arcosa worker I talked with said the basement area is 15' deep. He said he thinks it's going to be a parking lot and they were originally going to demo the other building but plans changed and now Ballis Development is going to renovate it instead.

2lLiEwZ.jpg

• Thanks 1

God I hope this isn't true. The city should really disincentivize creating surface parking lots like this, one way could be by taxing them at a higher rate than land with buildings. Because the free market really breaks down here - the owners of the land likely will make enough money on parking (particularly with the Astros season starting up) to justify destroying the building that was there, and not developing anything else.

It's interesting that Gulfstream Legal Group, the tenants that were previously in the demolished building, now list their headquarters at 720 N Post Oak Rd. I was hoping that was just a temporary space while they were constructing a new headquarters, but it seems likely now that could be their new home.

• Like 2