The proprietor of BlendIn Coffee Club purchased the 0.2251 acre parcel in the fall of 2021.

A new BlendIn Coffee Club storefront will be built from the ground up at 4703 Merwin St.

BlendIn enlisted Content Architecture to design a new coffee roastery with retail.

Additional details from Content Architecture's website:

The design for Blendin Coffee Club enables the Houston-based company to expand on the Tree-to-cup experience that is their identity. As their first ground-up project, the building seeks to provide Blendin with an enhanced presence and visibility in the city while also communicating the values of their brand. Situated on a corner lot just off the Highway 59 access road, the building mitigates between the scale of the highway to the south and the adjacent neighborhood to the north.

Public programs and gathering spaces are placed at the ground level with upper floors containing spaces focused on production and training.

• The first floor provides the neighborhood with a small coffee shop and retail space with a large shaded patio as well as a classroom where visitors can learn about the intricacies of roasting and brewing coffee.

• The second floor offers a roof deck and garden where small gatherings can take place.

• The top floor contains large spaces for storing and roasting coffee as well as more intimate spaces where cupping, training, and competitions occur. The design places the programs of the top floor in a long horizontal bar within the tree canopy that allows the building to be visible from the highway while also providing shade to the covered patio below.

Throughout the building, the design blurs the relationship between interior and exterior. At the ground level, the northeast and southwest corners open to the sky to create outdoor rooms within the building's envelope. Pivoting doors at these spaces allow the boundary between inside and outside to be implied or explicit depending on the desired conditions. At each level, a perforated metal skin introduces an intermediate layer between solid and transparent. This metal veil helps to mitigate between allowing natural light and views to the exterior to enter while also providing privacy where needed and reducing solar heat gain from the sun.

http://www.contentarchitecture.com/blendin-roastery/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

Reminds me of the Toronto School of Art:

4fa5d64286a20672fa48cf26acec3407.jpg

The problem with the Toronto building is that it's too big.  From the street, it's hard to find a place where you can stand and appreciate it.  The Houston building looks more manageable.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 4:32 PM, editor said:

4fa5d64286a20672fa48cf26acec3407.jpg

The problem with the Toronto building is that it's too big.  From the street, it's hard to find a place where you can stand and appreciate it.  The Houston building looks more manageable.

There is a strong resemblance.  

Personally, I like the design of both. The elevated structure provides room for green space, parking, or other use, in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 3:03 PM, Amlaham said:

Loveee the renderings, however, the location is a little weird being right in the middle of a neighborhood. I wish this abstract building would go up along a major street instead of hidden inside a neighborhood but happy with it regardless!

I had the same initial reaction. However, there are several coffee shops residing in the middle of Houston's residential areas. Granted, most of them blend in with surrounding homes.

Looking at the rendering, it seems the structure will face Lanceshire St. Surface parking looks as if it's on the Merwin St side. With BlendIn facing Lanceshire St, it may be easy for people to spot it and the signage from the feeder and freeway. 

Still, I wonder how neighbors feel about the proximity of such a large looking commercial building in their backyards.

• Like 1

Sprudge interviewed BlendIn Coffee Club's general manager recently. In the interview is a mention of BlendIn's forthcoming roastery facility and retail shop.

BlendIn Coffee Club is building a new outpost from the ground up. It will be located at 4703 Merwin St.

Below is an excerpt from the interview published today:

"We have a new roastery in the works that will house our coffee roasting production, a cafe, SCA and CQI training lab as well as a competition lab for those wanting to train and compete in US Coffee Champs."

https://sprudge.com/on-the-menu-florals-for-spring-at-blendin-coffee-club-in-houston-202668.html 

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

On 3/19/2023 at 4:32 PM, editor said:

I presume you meant to type the "Rosalie Sharp Centre for Design at OCAD University."  (Toronto School of Art is a different organization at a different location.)

17 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I presume you meant to type the "Rosalie Sharp Centre for Design at OCAD University."  (Toronto School of Art is a different organization at a different location.)

I'll defer to you.  I searched for "totonto art school" and the correct building came up.  I have my own photos of the building, which I hope has the right name, but they're on offline storage and not readily accessible.  Thanks for the correction.

On 3/22/2023 at 1:18 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

It's a little weird they're choosing to build this right in the middle of a single family neighborhood. Doesn't this area have deed restrictions? 

This little two block neighborhood, Merwin and Ingersol west of Lancashire, are technically a neighborhood called Atwood Villas and not part of Afton Oaks. That's why you have the old duplexes turned into town homes, duplexes serving as office buildings and dental practices, in this section. I lived on Merwin for nearly a decade in my twenties. The neighborhood was mostly divorcees and confirmed bachelors of folks who most likely grew up in Afton/River Oaks in the 60s-80s and wanted the "prestige" of a 77027 zip code without the cost. 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 4703 Merwin St