Southmore Hospital & Clinic At 906 Southmore Ave.

Litirice

Was this hospital also known as Southmore Hospital (or Southmore General) in 1970?  That's where I was born - I was looking at my birth certificate, and the attendant's signature (there was no printing, type or hand, displayed) - a person named M. A. Richardson.  It seems like it has been closed for a while (due to hauntings - from what I have heard from family members) and bought, sold and renamed a few times ... 

My gosh, reading all of the previous comments, how scandalous ... very wild, knowing that's where I was born, oh my goodness

Edited by Litirice
addition
  • Like 1

Southmore Hospital was located on a street named Southmore. The hospital closed in 1999, it was sold to HCA who bought it and immediately closed it (they didn't want the competition). Pasadena General Hospital was located on Pasadena Blvd. I believe that street was once named Tatar. Pasadena General was renamed once or twice. I don't know if it has closed or not.  Red Bluff Hospital was located near the intersection of Red Bluff and Pasadena Blvd. I don't remember when it closed. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Wow!!! Is all I can say about, all I’ve read about Southmore Hospital! At least that’s what it was called when my daughter, was born there in 1993!! My experience, at that hospital was one of the worst experiences I’ve ever had at any hospital. I’ve had 4 daughters, but only 1 there!! My OB-GYN was rude, and degrading! And the nurse, I had should’ve been in charge of babies!!!!!! She would rub really hard, on my daughters spine to get her to wake up and eat!! It made my daughter cry in pain!! I refused to let her touch her ever again, and asked for a new nurse!! I can’t remember the doctors name!!?? But I’m kind of glad, I don’t remember!! The only reason I’m here commenting, is I was looking up the hospital to see if it was still, a paranormal hotspot!! Many years back. I found pictures on the internet, of a paranormal team there! And was shocked!! Because I remember, that awful place unfortunately!!? The only thing, that shined light on that dark place. Was the birth of my beautiful daughter!! 💕🕯🥳🌸🌟

Edited by Cherise
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My sweet sister died at Southmore Hospital due to wrong blood given. This was 1967. She had just had a baby day before. We were devastated. We sued for malpractice but it took 30 yrs before the case went to trial. She left 4 little kids who to this day have Mommie issues. The lawyers for the hospital turned the case as it was my sisters fault they could not revive her cs she had a upper respiratory infection which she did not see a doctor for meds so it was no fault to the hospital. It was shocking how they twisted the facts. Anyway interesting being able to read about Dr. B. and his drama. He was well known and knew my sister but had little to say after her death.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 3/18/2015 at 10:26 PM, donbr549 said:

I was delivered at Red Bluff Hospital by Dr. Burkhalter in 1965. He was our family physician throughout all the controversies and his trials, excepting when he was in custody. His license to practice medicine was eventually revoked after his conviction regarding the kidnapping of his ex-wife and the shooting of her new husband. He did some time and retired to Fredericksburg, Texas with his horses. He petitioned the Texas state medical board to re-instate his license in the 1990's, with the intent of practicing in Fredericksburg, but was denied. I have no idea if he is still alive. For all his controversy, I remember him as an excellent doctor with warm bedside manner, and my mother trusted no other doctor with family medical needs at the time. Burkhalter removed the appendix of myself and 3 siblings, and delivered several of my siblings along with myself. That little hospital served the community quite well until Bayshore Hospital became the major medical center of the area. Last I saw it years ago, the old hospital was abandoned.

Hey Don,

Yep our family had all the trust in the world with Doc. Mom first brought me to see him when I was six at Southmore. He saw me thru the bad measles, chicken pox, appendectomy, double bi-lateral hernia, broken bones and a few stitches. Everyone has a darker side, unfortunately his came thru with some people. With us we saw the good side of him. He was extremely intelligent and would listen to you. In my book he was OK.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I was reading the newspaper The Baytown Sun dated May 31, 1959 and came across an article regarding nurse training at Southmore Hospital & Clinic located at 906 Southmore Ave.

Nurse Training Class To Open

Pasadena School  of Vocational Nursing will open a new training class, June 22.

The purpose of the school is to provide communities with persons capable of giving competent nursing care. The Pasadena School of Vocational Nursing is fully accredited by the Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners. The school is operated jointly by the Pasadena Independent School District and the Southmore Hospital and Clinic.

The school is located at the Southmore Hospital, 906 East Southmore, Pasadena.

Applications are being received at the Texas Employment Commission, 110 South Main, Pasadena.

fMeYsYZ.png