Can anyone tell me more about Alfred Charles Finn? I know I could simply Google, but HAIF has more first-hand knowledge than Google.

Did he practice architecture solo or was their a firm behind him?  Before he died, did he create a firm to carry-on his legacy? 

Was there any "competition" from fellow "Stararchitects" of the time? Looks like both Kenneth Franzheim and Wyatt Hedrick did major projects in the Houston area at the same time.  The "Houston Big 3" I call them.

Back in the day, I don't think global firms was a thing.  You did not have Gensler, SOM, HOK, HKS, HDR, AECOM, KPF, Stantec, etc.  Instead, you probably had drawings single handedly drawn by Arthur Gensler, Louis Skidmore, Gyo Obata, Eugene Kohn, I. M. Pei, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 3:36 PM, Highrise Tower said:

Back in the day, I don't think global firms was a thing

I think it depends on how you define "back in the day."

Architects like Frank Lloyd Wright and Mies van der Rhoe didn't have a "firm" in the modern sense, but they had "studios" of eager apprentices and associates who performed much the same function.  And those studios certainly operated on much the same global scale as many similarly-sized "global" companies of their era.

I'm not sure when architecture went from studios to conglomerates.  Maybe in the 80's?

• Like 1

Ive worked on a few of his buildings over the years. I pulled up one the drawings for one of his buildings on our server right now, and for what its worth It Says Alfred C Finn Architect and the address is 505 Goggan Houston, TX.  That address and building I dont believe exist anymore. It was definitly a firm with numerous workers. I do not know if the firm was acquired in the 60's when he passed away. Here's a clip of one of the structural drawings. He subbed out structural in the 1920s, which wasnt as common at the time. Won't share the location of this building but of the few projects of his i've worked on-- the title block is consistent. 

image.png.875db7d93ffa36d72e77ba4cf326023f.png

• Like 1

image.png.60f0ea2e37e744fb5d404b9b38476b6d.png

Another building of his from 1928, looks like he worked with another firm(one that you mentioned). This sometimes occurs when you have a "design" architect who creats the rendering and then a project architect of record that does the detailing etc. No idea what the relationship was for this particular building...

Edit: Just going off of OP's comment, did Finn single handedly draw these drawings? By the 1920s For sure not and probably had a team of project architects, drafters, etc working on design,etc. 

Edited by Purdueenginerd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Ive worked on a few of his buildings over the years. I pulled up one the drawings for one of his buildings on our server right now, and for what its worth It Says Alfred C Finn Architect and the address is 505 Goggan Houston, TX.  That address and building I dont believe exist anymore. It was definitly a firm with numerous workers. I do not know if the firm was acquired in the 60's when he passed away. Here's a clip of one of the structural drawings. He subbed out structural in the 1920s, which wasnt as common at the time. Won't share the location of this building but of the few projects of his i've worked on-- the title block is consistent. 

image.png.875db7d93ffa36d72e77ba4cf326023f.png

Thank you for the wonderful history and images!!  

The library I visit every day has a whole bunch of results for "Goggan Building".  Looks like Alfred C. Finn Architect was located in Suite 505 (or 303?)

September 1, 1921:
Thos. Goggan & Bro. 
706-708 Main Street Houston, Texas / Goggan Building.

DE0jHIs.png

A year later their advertisement only specified 706 Main Street. 

Qdsq7F0.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Highrise Tower said:

Thank you for the wonderful history and images!!  

The library I visit every day has a whole bunch of results for "Goggan Building".  Looks like Alfred C. Finn Architect was located in Suite 505 (or 303?)

September 1, 1921:
Thos. Goggan & Bro. 
706-708 Main Street Houston, Texas / Goggan Building.

A year later their advertisement only specified 706 Main Street. 

I did a quick google search: 

https://scholarship.rice.edu/handle/1911/36530
http://archives.library.rice.edu/repositories/2/archival_objects/21959

image.png.09590f58ccb0d5894e6e74f68a099f17.png

Found this building called the "Electric Building" which was designed by none other than Alfred Finn at 505 Goggan. The second link states it was located at Block 81, one which today is bound by Rusk, Capitol, Travis and Main. I took a peak at the sanborn insurance map for houston from 1896, and there is no Goggan street in downtown... at least that I could see. I think youre right, Goggan Building was the name. The 1907 Sanborn map shows wood frame buildings located at 700 block of main. Again no Goggan street. That building must have not lasted very long <50 years... 

txu-sanborn-houston-1907-vol1-007.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I think it's already been determined (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that there was no Groggan Street but that this company was in Suite 505.  I'm a little confused on the picture of The Electric Building.  I don't think this is the same building in the 700 block of Main.  The building being discussed (the offices of The Groggan Company) was originally built in 1908 for the Texas Company (later Texaco).  In 1922 it expanded horizontally all the way to Capital Avenue (still standing today with Shake Shack on the ground floor) and became The Bankers Mortgage Building (in the 1970's Walter Pyes Dept Store was on the ground floor, where Shake Shack is now).  This looks like The Houston Lighting and Power Building at Fannin and Walker (before it too was expanded).  The photo I'm attaching is the original 1908 ten story building.  The Gulf Building (now The Chase Bank Building) would later be to its immediate left and the 1922 horizontal expansion to the immediate right when it became The Bankers Mortgage Building.

10-02-23.jpg

Edited by EspersonBuildings
  • Thanks 1